Search Unity

My Inspector window no longer shows any of my textures for my materials....

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Jadugara, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Jadugara

Jadugara

My Inspector window no longer shows any of my textures for my materials.... It doesn't show Main Color anymore, or Base, or Bumpmap, or anything....

Instead, that area underneath where I choose my materials is nothing but a blank gray area... My textures used to show up there (and allow me to swtch them out and such) but now there's nothing there...

What have I done wrong? How do I fix this?

Jadugara ^_^

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. Glockenbeat

Glockenbeat

Did you possibly install any editor script which is messing this up? Have seen something similar in the GUI styles area once.

3. Jadugara

Jadugara

Nope... The only thing I've installed was a new simple Shader (blending transparency with self-illumination), but that was hours ago, and this problem didn't manifest until a few minutes ago...

4. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Do this.

Attached Files:

5. Jadugara

Jadugara

Ha ha! WOW!!!! Oh my God! Thanks koyima,...I really appreciate that!

What on Earth would be the value of having a "feature" that turns everything useful off inside that area? Especially as the result of what have must been an accidental click on my part?

Good lord! I would have never found that fix accidentally... I was actually about to delete the whole engine and reinstall from scratch until you answered...

You are a life-saver...

Jadugara ^_^

6. Jessy

Jessy

Fortunately for you, about 700 other threads have been started on this subject, and all have been answered. You are now a segment of the centipede.

7. Jadugara

Jadugara

That's odd... When I did a search for "Inspector Window missing textures" and "Inspector Window not showing textures" no threads appeared that looked like they addressed my particular issue... You may have done a different search than I did to find the 700 you mention... Did any of those happen to describe why the interface was designed to even have that unfortunate behavior? For the life of me I can't think of a reason that would ever be useful...

8. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

well if you have a bunch of components it's handy to be able to collapse the material inputs so you don't have to scroll.

9. Jadugara

Jadugara

Ah,...I guess I haven't worked with anything that complex yet... When I accidentally clicked there (making all the data vanish), nothing at all was left except a blank gray area which remained un-collapsed. There weren't any other data components displayed at all, and there was no indication that it was an intentional interface collapse (no minus/plus button to expand it out again), which is why I assumed something had gone buggy, or that I had accidentally hit something that made the whole sub-window get lost (such as in Photoshop, when hitting the "x" by accident)...

Thanks again for your help... You certainly spared me some stress...

10. WarbladerToo

WarbladerToo

A bit late but....

I had this same problem and just found this tip. WHY WHY WHY not have some indicator that something is hidden????????????? An arrow pointing like this > then point down when the textures are showing like this V. How hard is that to put in there? > then V ??

11. Krahgnatokz

Krahgnatokz

Well!! I found this answer thanks to you!! xD so it was indeed useful for you to post. It seems like newbs like us shouldn't be given this sort of power hahaha

12. MyOwnGames

MyOwnGames

Waaaah, thanks Koyima, 1 hours I was looking for that on the internet, and 1 more hour on Unity. even after 2 years your post still usefull.

Gracias

13. fullmando

fullmando

Jessy, do you think your comment was useful in our quest for understanding the Unity engine? Koyima, thanks for your patience and help!

14. Glurth

Glurth

This is a dead link. But the other posts gave me a clue...
    The answer is to click the materials icon in the inspector to hide/show details.

15. Bibi-Maghoo

Bibi-Maghoo

Just had this exact problem drive me mad for 10 minutes. Why is there no icon to show it as collapsable? Thanks anyway.