Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UA 2008: Tumbledrop! (Final version webplayer!)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by dock, Sep 14, 2008.

1. dock

dock

EDIT: finished version available now at www.tumbledrop.com

Here is a very basic beta of Tumbledrop, the game I'm making for the UA2008 competition. It's just one level, and has some bugs at this stage. The goal is to get the pink star down on to the island without dropping it in the sea. I'm working on improving the graphics and fixing the gameplay input.

Here is the webplayer:
    http://deadpanda.com/lj/tumbledrop/tumbledropbeta.html

I'm keeping a development diary of the game:
    http://dock.livejournal.com/tag/tumbledrop

2. gizzerd91

gizzerd91

Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but if the gameplay is as good as the graphics you stand a good chance to win UA. Good luck man!

3. MentalFish

MentalFish

Love it! Great style and good fun, reminds me a bit of boom blox.

4. mehware

mehware

Very Cool.. Took me a few tries to get (its early lol) but awesome game!

5. nickavv

nickavv

Cool! Looks awesome, plays well. Now I want more levels. ;) I beat this one in 6 moves at my best.

6. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Pretty cool, my best is 4 moves :)

7. Scrat

Scrat

Great game!

The graphics kind of reminds me Kirby Adventure on the NES (although yours look better :))

8. nic

nic

Fun game! Looking forward to more levels.

9. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Wehee! Took me five moves though. How the heck did you do it in four?

Really looking forward to seeing more levels. And some audio - probably ala cuttlecandy.

I also really enjoyed the "player sleeping" debug message :wink:

10. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

11. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

2 moves :p

Okay, now I really need to get back to work lol

12. ugur

ugur

very nice, lovely style, though i feel dumb for having needed so many tries to beat it :D

13. dock

dock

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you're having fun with the game. I'll work hard on getting the full game together.

Wow, very clever! My girlfriend and I had fun figuring out how you did it. I'll keep that technique in place in the full game though, as its quite fun to play that way.

14. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

I can't get it in less than 3 moves for the life of me

edit: same strategy, a little more luck and better timing = 2 I'm guessing since it ended up looking like that screenshot, that it was the same strategy.

15. matthewminer

matthewminer

This is a lot of fun, and the visual style is really great. I look forward to playing additional levels.

One addition I'd like to see is a "par" system where you're told what a good number of moves is for each level. I thought I was doing well with four moves, until I saw here that people had got it down to two (I'm still working on that one; my best is sticking stubbornly at three).

edit: it occurred to me that this game would be a perfect fit for the iPhone :)

16. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

For future versions internet play could be fun as well. Split screen environment, count down from five and first to finish on a level scores a point. The higher the level, the higher the point scored.

17. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

can't wait to see more levels already played first one many many times over. nice looking graphincs, got me wondering how you make such nice 2d/toon shading for this. love the animations and stuff, reminds me of the new flash game Tower Something or Other. this is real fun! defiantly a UA winner.

18. UVRadiation

UVRadiation

This game is great ,
    I love the graphics and the simple concept,
    Can't wait for more levels to see where it goes.
    Well done !

19. Sam Shiels

Sam Shiels

Wow! This game has a huge chance of winning!

20. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

Neat - simple and addictive, a winning combination!

2 moves - as in the attached video.

Attached Files:

21. mehware

mehware

Man I love this... Is that ocean refractive ! (only kidding), but your ocean is very cool. Keep up the work!

22. dock

dock

One extra idea I just had was maybe making a challenge for achieving a level in the largest number of moves possible... or maybe for losing the fewest number of objects into the water. Hmm!

Teilas, I'd love to make an iphone version, but I'll worry about that when Unity has that option!

Thanks! I was pleased with how the ocean came out, although I kinda need to fix the looping...

RobbieDingo, thanks for making a video! That's great! What did you use to record that?

AngryAnt, yeah I definitely need to add audio. I'm not entirely sure what sort of sound to go with yet.

23. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

This is the kind of sound I was referring to: http://www.cuttlecandy.com/

24. dock

dock

AngryAnt - gotcha! :) I'm on the case, I'm working on getting music and sound effects in the game now.

25. Toack

Toack

heheh 2 moves too! and i didnt see this solution :p

Attached Files:

26. dock

dock

I might stick some of these videos on youtube, I hope you don't mind! :) Toack, I like how many spins you achieve! If only I had style points! XD

27. Anim

Anim

Really nice game, simple to understand and addictive. Love it. Cant wait for sound and more levels.

Geoff

28. Toack

Toack

hehehe go on!

.org

29. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

All you need are a bunch of levels for this. Interesting concept. I like it.

30. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Do add style points. :)

A game like this needs that type of variety of scoring to keep people coming back. I also like your way of thinking on those challenges. Very cool.

The best thing you did was allow an instant restart. Other games like this make the mistake of forcing you to wait out the physics and that's death for a most any game.

Anyway, can't wait to see more and you should sign up to be an iPhone Developer soon and get this on the iPhone as fast as possible. It would be a standout at the moment and it's completely casual friendly. Performance might end up being an issue, though.

Thanks for the fun diversion!

31. dock

dock

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's been a great help with how I'm thinking about this, and I'm working hard on this with a view to getting a big update ready for Monday.

I've managed to get all the shapes working nicely as prefabs now, and I'm chipping away at code trying to get everything working out. Watch this space!

32. dock

dock

A sneaky preview of the new version. I'm working on updates this weekend, still aiming for a Monday release of a new demo.

33. dock

dock

In the nick of time, I submitted my entry!

Here it is for you good people! ^_^
    www.tumbledrop.com

34. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

the look of terror on the star's face before it splashes is priceless!

35. dock

dock

That was pretty much my expression about an hour before submission! haha

36. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Pretty fun! I beat it in about fifteen minutes.

What it really needs for longevity is an achievement system and a system where you can customize things like gravity, slipperiness, etc...

If you could add a level editor on top of that, it'd be something I'd consider buying, to be honest.

37. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

oh, and massive multiplayer functionality.... and maybe it could come with a pony?

no, seriously, it is a charming little game and part of what makes it charming is that it is fun and simple. You have to be careful if you plan on expanding this in the future, because you could really get away from what makes it fun as it is.

38. dock

dock

Thanks guys!

I had stuff planned that I wasn't able to implement in time, such as gold and silver medals for 'under par' and 'lowest possible' scores. I intend to add those over the coming weeks though, and I'll be updating my webplayer (and probably posting here as well). I would like to add more levels too, as I have a lot more shapes that I didn't get to use. For now though I'm fairly pleased with how this came out, as this is my first game of my own. Thanks Unity! ^_^

39. nickavv

nickavv

Oh my god, this is amazing. In terms of fun, visuals, basically everything, you win hands down.

40. dock

dock

Moldorma, thanks a lot! :) Glad you enjoyed it!

41. Anim

Anim

Very professional game. You clearly understand good game design.

Geoff

42. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Very nice. Got level 15 in three moves! Wohoo :D

43. camilogomez

camilogomez

I Love this game´s design and graphic style. Congratulations!

44. runevision

runevision

This game is extremely polished, but I noticed one problem. There is some sideways momentum at the beginning of every level, and sometimes it makes the blocks move.

For example, the star moved to the location seen in the attached image without me having touched anything.

In level 7, the star fell into the water before I has touched anything.

Such randomness would compromise competition about the fewest moves because it might depend on small random factors that end up having quite big impact.

Otherwise really great!

Rune

Attached Files:

45. gizzerd91

gizzerd91

Very simple and clever. I'm kinda bummed because this means I'm not gonna win and get all that money :(. But congratulations. This is gonna port to the iPhone beautifully, and you're gonna get famous. How did you make transitions between frames like that in your game (the sliding back and forth)? It adds a lot, and I'd love to know your secret.

46. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Incredible game dock.

47. ChromeFly

ChromeFly

Great, great work on this! The visuals are perfect, the gameplay is quite enjoyably simple, and the whole thing has a super polished, smooth feel to it what with all the transitions and animations and such. Nothing feels static. I'll add my request for a level editor and a few other minor features mentioned by yourself and others--otherwise, I think you have a top-of-the stack casual game here, especially for the iPhone! :) Great work, Dock.

Oh, and I got 1 on level 7 because of the drift "issue," (or maybe feature.) ;)

48. yangmeng

yangmeng

Very nice design, but I encountered some bugs on replaying levels. When selecting a level that was just played from the main menu, the level is automatically won and goes on to the next level. Some other weird stuff going on there as well, but it is hard to describe. One that's fixed this should be great fun!

49. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

Awesome work! lots of really nice touches across the board. I like the level loading bit in the top right... the menu system at the start has some cool movement... loved the sound effects and the reward feedback upon completing the level.

great job!

50. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Wow! This is one of the most addictive games I`ve played since Peggle :)

The style, gameplay and sounds = top notch!

The only criticism i have though, is that its way too addictive. I played it all morning, so now i got to do some overtime i guess :)

Great work!