Retroformer is our all new puzzler/platformer, being developed for iOS, Android and web platforms.
Retroformer features retro style 16x16 graphics and an easy to grasp playstyle, with features being added daily.
Retroformer's main feature is the ability to create totally custom maps using any image editor you have at hand. Simply use our colour reference guide to create your map pixel by pixel, and upload it into Retroformer by URL to play right away! Please note your level file must be a .PNG and has a few requirements, detailed below.
Controls: See bottom of post.
Webplayer: v0.0.5 (Clicky!)
NEW TO v0.0.4!
Two standalone applications have been added to the attachments below! Use these instead of the webplayer to take advantage of the new features!Some screenshots:NEW TO v0.0.4!
With the addition of the level editor, any levels saved with this editor and not with an image editor will not need any gamma information stripping! ie if you keep your level to being made only in Retroformer, you don't have to strip the channels!
The reference sheet:
The square and sprite in the reference sheet are not to scale, they're only there to show you what colour to use. Each square in the ref sheet is 32x32, each pixel is 1x1.
List of example maps:We've investigated a bug making the graphics blurry. To fix, ensure that both dimensions of your level's saved picture are any power of 2 (they don't have to be the same, just a power of 2).
Due to the way some browsers handle accessing DropBox's public folder, we suggest using URLs to load our example maps. They are listed below.
Note: To make the import work correctly your custom map needs to be WITHOUT Gamma information (the gAMA and sRGB channels). Luckily we've found and created two applications (for Windows and Mac) to remove these channels quickly and painlessly. (If you have PhotoShop, good for you, we believe you can save files without this information. However, we have not tested PhotoShop's save capabilities, so if unsure run it through one of our gAMA removal packages.)
Game: Left and right arrows to move the player to left and right. Spacebar to jump, climb and swim up.
- Click the Editor button in the Main menu to go to the editor.
- Set the resolution of the new level by clicking the numbers in the editor. First row is the width, second the height of the level.
- Click New level to create a new level.
- Click Import and type an URL to a level image file to import an level to the editor.
- Right click to place a block.
- Shift + Right click to delete a block.
- Left click to select a block from the selection menu on the left.
- ScrollWheel or the vertical bar on the right of the menu to examine the selection menu on the left.
- Shift + ScrollWheel to scroll through the blocks.
- Left cllick + Move the cursor to the side of the screen to pan the camera.
- WASD to pan the camera.
- Menu-Edit Level_Name_Here to change the name of the level.
- Menu-Export to export the level.
- Menu-Main menu to jump to the main menu.