Unity Community

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

1. Posts

Introducing Retroformer!

Retroformer is our all new puzzler/platformer, being developed for iOS, Android and web platforms.

Retroformer features retro style 16x16 graphics and an easy to grasp playstyle, with features being added daily.

Retroformer's main feature is the ability to create totally custom maps using any image editor you have at hand. Simply use our colour reference guide to create your map pixel by pixel, and upload it into Retroformer by URL to play right away! Please note your level file must be a .PNG and has a few requirements, detailed below.

Controls: See bottom of post.

Webplayer: v0.0.5 (Clicky!)

NEW TO v0.0.4!
    Two standalone applications have been added to the attachments below! Use these instead of the webplayer to take advantage of the new features!
    NEW TO v0.0.4!
    With the addition of the level editor, any levels saved with this editor and not with an image editor will not need any gamma information stripping! ie if you keep your level to being made only in Retroformer, you don't have to strip the channels!
    Some screenshots:

The reference sheet:

The square and sprite in the reference sheet are not to scale, they're only there to show you what colour to use. Each square in the ref sheet is 32x32, each pixel is 1x1.

We've investigated a bug making the graphics blurry. To fix, ensure that both dimensions of your level's saved picture are any power of 2 (they don't have to be the same, just a power of 2).
    List of example maps:
    Due to the way some browsers handle accessing DropBox's public folder, we suggest using URLs to load our example maps. They are listed below.

Note: To make the import work correctly your custom map needs to be WITHOUT Gamma information (the gAMA and sRGB channels). Luckily we've found and created two applications (for Windows and Mac) to remove these channels quickly and painlessly. (If you have PhotoShop, good for you, we believe you can save files without this information. However, we have not tested PhotoShop's save capabilities, so if unsure run it through one of our gAMA removal packages.)

Now, follow us on Twitter! @ParadigmSW
    Controls
    Game: Left and right arrows to move the player to left and right. Spacebar to jump, climb and swim up.

Editor:

- Click the Editor button in the Main menu to go to the editor.
    - Set the resolution of the new level by clicking the numbers in the editor. First row is the width, second the height of the level.
    - Click New level to create a new level.
    - Click Import and type an URL to a level image file to import an level to the editor.

- Right click to place a block.
    - Shift + Right click to delete a block.
    - Left click to select a block from the selection menu on the left.
    - ScrollWheel or the vertical bar on the right of the menu to examine the selection menu on the left.
    - Shift + ScrollWheel to scroll through the blocks.
    - Left cllick + Move the cursor to the side of the screen to pan the camera.
    - WASD to pan the camera.
    - Menu-Edit Level_Name_Here to change the name of the level.
    - Menu-Export to export the level.
    - Menu-Main menu to jump to the main menu.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paradigm-Softworks; 05-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.

2. Location
    Bratislava, Slovakia
    Last edited by dzebna; 04-24-2012 at 10:40 AM.

3. Location
    Florida

4. Posts
    Last edited by Paradigm-Softworks; 04-24-2012 at 03:18 PM.

5. Posts
    We've updated the colour reference sheet to make the lava block more visible.
    We'll also be uploading a second sample map soon.

6. Posts
    Added another example map.

Please feel free to create your own maps and post them here! (Though try to remove the gamma info before posting).
    Last edited by Paradigm-Softworks; 04-24-2012 at 03:20 PM.

7. Posts
    I like the idea.

Quick Q: is it normal that I can super jump by jumping and tapping the jump button again mid-air?
    Edit: seems like I can double-jump and even walljump? I can do this everywhere there's enough room.

At the first spike columns, when I approach from above, I should be able to jump and slap myself to the wall on the right side and then just let me drop down to ensure I won't get hit by a spike. But even if I do this, I get hit by one. As if my collision box is bigger than the visual sprite. Or the spikes's is bigger.

What's with the two keyholes and the two pink windmills to finish a level?
    I only need to unlock one path and touch one of the pink windmills to finish a level.
    The others server no purpose.

Also, I fall forever when I load pyramid.

8. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonQuake View Post
    I like the idea.

Quick Q: is it normal that I can super jump by jumping and tapping the jump button again mid-air?

Also, I fall forever when I load pyramid.
    Where are you when this happens?

This normally happens when gamma information is present, the updated map might not have had it removed. I'll fix the problem.

Edit: I've tested Pyramid, it now works.

9. Posts
    Transferring previous post updated info here:

Seems like I can double-jump and even walljump? I can do this everywhere there's enough room.
    Just mash the jump button and a direction when you're close to a wall..

At the first spike columns, when I approach from above, I should be able to jump and slap myself to the wall on the right side and then just let me drop down to ensure I won't get hit by a spike. But even if I do this, I get hit by one. As if my collision box is bigger than the visual sprite. Or the spikes's is bigger.

I only need to unlock one path and touch one of the pink windmills to finish a level.

Update: reloaded the webplayer, loaded pyramid, still falling down endlessly.

10. Posts
    Transferring previous post updated info here:

Seems like I can double-jump and even walljump? I can do this everywhere there's enough room.

We'll take it into account, we're aware that the colliders need a lot of tweaking at this stage.

Also, the level is an example, or showcase, if you will. We want to include some predone levels out of the box but this isn't one of them, these are purely to try out the game's mechanics, and, as you are so graciously doing, bug testing. We'll be getting professional level designers to design the levels that come out of the box.

11. Posts
    Again, great idea to allow for custom levels to be uploaded too.
    As a professional level designer myself I can see that It will be easy to design for and fun too.

You could even allow for custom sprites for the player, themes, and graphics upgrades.

About the collision box of the player, well, it should just be exactly matching the sprite, pixel-per-pixel IMO. It would just be 100% intuitive.

MQ

12. Posts
    Again, great idea to allow for custom levels to be uploaded too.
    As a professional level designer myself I can see that It will be easy to design for and fun too.

You could even allow for custom sprites for the player, themes, and graphics upgrades.

About the collision box of the player, well, it should just be exactly matching the sprite, pixel-per-pixel IMO. It would just be 100% intuitive.

MQ
    Thanks! As for at least one of those ideas... keep yer eyes peeled...

13. Location
    Bratislava, Slovakia

The second portal will be deleted as soon as we add more functions and make a path to another key.

Everything if fine and the character collider is per pixel, but the Unity physics engine allows the character collider to leak a tiny bit trough the wall, no allowing to do the move you mentioned.

This error happens when an image doesn't have the gAMA and sRGB channels removed.

-- David

14. Posts
    It works fine on my computer loading the file locally. We're looking into it.

15. Posts
    Resolved:

List of example maps:
    Due to the way some browsers handle accessing DropBox's public folder, we suggest using URLs to load our example maps. They are listed below.
    • http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27959005/PixelformerWebPlayer/Level.png
    • http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27959005/PixelformerWebPlayer/Pyramid.png
    Last edited by Paradigm-Softworks; 04-24-2012 at 10:55 AM.

16. Posts
    The second portal will be deleted as soon as we add more functions and make a path to another key.
    --Nice. I do prefer the term portal over "pink windmill thing"

Everything if fine and the character collider is per pixel, but the Unity physics engine allows the character collider to leak a tiny bit trough the wall, no allowing to do the move you mentioned.
    --I highly suggest to compensate for Unity's leaking features (hehe) by shrinking the collider a tiny bit to allow the move mentioned above.
    That move is at the essence of your game since we are often in very tight places. Also, I can totally see people making custom maps where you fall in a single column deep hole with spikes on each side, or falling between two lava blocks, climb up a ladder between spikes... would be impossible because the player's collision would leak onto the spikes.

This error happens when an image doesn't have the gAMA and sRGB channels removed.
    Ok, then I'll wait until you guys fix your sample level to replay it. Looks fun.

Keep it up!

MQ

17. Posts
    --Nice. I do prefer the term portal over "pink windmill thing"

--I highly suggest to compensate for Unity's leaking features (hehe) by shrinking the collider a tiny bit to allow the move mentioned above.
    That move is at the essence of your game since we are often in very tight places. Also, I can totally see people making custom maps where you fall in a single column deep hole with spikes on each side, or falling between two lava blocks, climb up a ladder between spikes... would be impossible because the player's collision would leak onto the spikes.

Ok, then I'll wait until you guys fix your sample level to replay it. Looks fun.

Keep it up!

MQ
    We've found a resolution; DropBox handles the public folder differently to what we expected. We suggest using the URLs provided.

18. Posts
    Copy-paste works in the game's URL field. Nice.

Played Pyramid. Now that's a serious level. The floaty physics allow for some great platforming moments.

Also, you guys should mention that walljumping is essential in your game. You simply cannot complete Pyramid without walljumping.

Oh, sometimes jump doesn't work. Seems to happen when you hammer the jump button right before walking then jumping. The jump will fail often.

Check your PMs.

19. Location
    Bratislava, Slovakia
    Also, you guys should mention that walljumping is essential in your game. You simply cannot complete Pyramid without walljumping.

Oh, sometimes jump doesn't work. Seems to happen when you hammer the jump button right before walking then jumping. The jump will fail often.
    I have fixed the character controller and the jumps are a lot more responsive now - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49350017/Pix...WebPlayer.html

fixed Level.png - Level.png (link)
    fixed Pyramid.png - Pyramid.png

20. Location
    UK, Grimsby
    Looking good, Can't wait to see get some purdy graphics in hehehe, I only just figured out how to play pyramid level, thought it was only one you could do.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast