Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Behaviors Made Easy! (Walker Boys)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by profcwalker, Apr 22, 2012.

1. profcwalker

profcwalker

AI Behaviors Made Easy! (Store)
    AI Behaviors Product Info (Website)

Now available on the Unity Asset Store.

AI Behaviors is designed for Artists, Designers and Programmers. The intent is to make AI easy, fun and possible for anyone. A very flexible system is in place, so you can create, change and add to any character behaviors in countless ways, all through the inspector.

With full source code (C#) available (Programmers), AI Behaviors makes an excellent plug-in for your projects. And for the Artists and Designers, we’ve developed it to work just as well with JavaScript (UnityScript).

Over an hour of video tutorials are available below in this thread. If you have any questions about AI Behavior let us know, we'll be happy to help.

Thanks!
    Walker Boys

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. Rya

Rya

Looks great defenitly interested.

3. p6r

p6r

Very interesting and interested !
    Can't wait to see the video...

6R

4. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

I am interested!

5. burnpsy

burnpsy

I am also interested.

6. nicunity

nicunity

Sounds good, any ideas on the price?

7. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)

8. dreadt9

dreadt9

Nice, whats the price going to be, under $40 would be fantastic

9. pneill

pneill

I'm pretty intrigued by this offering. Looking forward to more details.

10. Toad

Toad

Looks interesting.

11. SteveB

SteveB

Following! (No pun intended...hmmm)

12. pneill

pneill

Alright, not to be a pest about this one, but I'm pretty interested! So do have any kind of update here?

13. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi pneill and also everyone else who has posted,

We are very excited to see your interest in our project.

Stay tuned! We are currently working on an update and will have it up soon! :)

14. profcwalker

profcwalker

AI Behaviors Made Easy!

Hi Guys,

Time for more information and a question! :)

AI Behaviors has been in development for about 3 months. Nathan is our lead programmer on AI Behaviors and has done an excellent job creating a tool for Unity designers (artists, designers, and programmers), with a strong focus on making it feel and work like a native part of Unity. We are currently using this code set for two internal projects and we'll be continually expanding it to create what we hope becomes a standard for game AI in Unity.

Pricing. Our current price point is in the range of $50-100. We'd love to hear what you think, especially after you've played the demos...which should be available this weekend. :)

Current Feature List:

- Easy to Use Interface
    - Designer Side Tools for Behavior Construction
    - 15 Behavioral States ( 35+ common properties and 50+ unique properties )

Behaviors

- Idle, Patrol, Follow, Flee, Seek, Seek Ammo, Melee Attack, Ranged Attack, Defend, Got Hit, Change, Heal, Help, Get Help, Dead
    - Includes 9 game ready triggers such as Line of Sight, No Player in Sight, Within Distance, Beyond Distance, Timer, Low Health, etc...
    - Built-in waypoint system for patrol state which is designed for Unity navigation system, as well
    - Includes a built-in approach to handling audio effects from state to state
    - 6 example Scenes
    - 20 instructional videos detailing each Behavior and Combination
    - Well-constructed Components and documented for easy extendability
    • Coded in C#
    • Support for Unity Java Script
    - 42 Script Files
    - 1 Mock-Up Avatar
    • 12 unique Animations to support the Behaviors
    • 12 unique Audio Effects to support the Behaviors
    - Email Support

That's it for now!

This weekend, the website will go live, detailed documentation will be posted, and demos will be available.

If you have any questions till then, feel free to post them here. Thank you!

15. pneill

pneill

I wouldn't blink at $50 for that and probably wouldn't blink at $100 if it's good. But I think I would have to see a basic tutorial video to make that judgement.

16. danreid70

danreid70

$50 is my sweet-spot, too. Looks VERY promising! Working with another AI package I purchased on here recently - but this looks more "polished". Does it support random audio/animations (ie: an array of positions in the editor), for say: if character model has multiple walk/run/idle/attack animations (and sounds), can attach a list (or just one) of them, and AI will pick from them randomly when starting them (for variation and looks more "real"/less "canned" -- though, of course, it is - just a can with multiple "things" in it - lol!).

17. outtoplay

outtoplay

$50-$75 works. But like the others, if it's a 'game-chamger' (pardon the pun), could go more. The tut vids are key along with, well demo'd examples explained and documented. This has always been the key to top sellers.

Looking forward, Good Luck!

18. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

I recognize the amount of work that goes into making and supporting of such apps, so I would pay $100 for such a pack. Even $150. I would not want the cost to be too low because, after all, I would want the developers to be incentivized to continue to develop and support the product.

I am a professional, so I am used to paying for upgrades to major revisions of software I purchase. That being said, I more than appreciate developers who provide free updates and upgrades to their products.

For me, as a novice programmer in Unity, I am wondering how high-level the coding is when using this application. Will I need to be proficient at scripting, or will a large amount of the functionality be accessable through the Inspector Panel?

19. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I am definitely interested too! $50 would be sweet spot for me but $100 is okay too but I need to see if its worth it.

20. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi DigiLusionist, we've tried our hardest to make as much of this system work right out of the box as possible with the potential of doing more complex things with scripting if you want to. The main thing that requires scripting is the animation system, however, we are including a script that handles the basic functionality that most users will probably use (and serves as a code sample for anyone wanting to do more). Accessing the scripts you need for our AI system is very simple since we only show you which of them and which methods are useable via drop down menus. Also, if you have no script attached to the object that is appropriate to call we show you a code sample so you can practically copy and paste the code into a new script file if you wish.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, so please let me know if it does or not.

Thanks
    Nathan

21. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

Yes, you have answered my question. Thank you, Nathan. Appreciate it!

22. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Awesome, I'm glad :)

23. Numonic

Numonic

Awesome things coming out on the asset store. Another great one! Would love to see some example AI for several game platforms 3rd person shooter, 2d platform and many others I am currently nothing thinking about.
    Would also love to see Tutorials to get up and running as soon as possible.

24. Heu

Heu

Yay excited for it.

25. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this in, but one aspect of AI that I would like to see in gaming and in a pack such as this one, is AI based on SMELL.

Let's say a creature is tracking a character. If that character remains still when the creature enters the area, and the character doesn't make noise, the only other way the creature would normally and most likely track the character is by smell.

In fact, smell becomes the first means of tracking, and has the highest AI priority, if you will.

If a game incorporates weather conditions, wind direction relative to the creature and character comes into play if the smell AI is also incorporated into the game engine.

So, would someone using this AI pack be able to use the pack to implement such an AI aspect? I understand that actual coding may be involved, in addition to whatever process is already in it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  26. burnpsy

burnpsy

Incidentally, I have a question about this AI that's the same question I asked to the developer of the other big AI package here.

My current project has platformer elements, and thus I need to have AI allies and foes determine when it's appropriate to jump/fly to follow the player. Roughly how much extra work would it be for me to add that to this AI after getting it?

27. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Guys,

Looks like it's going to be tomorrow (later today) till the video and material is polished and posted. :) I'll get to the comments at that point as well. Thanks! :)

28. profcwalker

profcwalker

The first preview videos (below) are showing the basic features of the AI Behavior and setup.

Also, it looks like things will be rolling out during this week for everything else. :) Thanks!

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  29. pneill

pneill

The videos have no sound. Is that by design?

30. profcwalker

profcwalker

@pneill: Yes. For the training videos, we'll have audio. :)

31. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Digilusionist,

We'll definitely keep this in mind for a future update. I can certainly see the importance of having such a trigger/behavior in the system. We still want to keep things simple. So, if we implement this, I would like to do it in such a way that it is easy for artists to use out of the box, but at the same time complex enough (or expandable enough) to do more specific/programmable things with it.

32. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

That's a great question. Some of the last steps I'm doing are to open up certain parts of the code such as detecting when a state changes and possibly movement and rotation. Also, the default movement is using the built-in navigation for Unity, thus, if it can be done using the path finding system via off mesh links and such, it will most likely be possible for you to implement the same behavior with this system.

33. Dreamora

Dreamora

Looks sweet :)

But a question as it was so far forgotten to be pointed out: So this will be a Unity Pro only addon then as you use the built in navigation I assume?
    Would likely make sense to add this to the initial posting and save people reading all these postings or watching the video to realize that :)

34. runonthespot

runonthespot

This is an odd request: Is this, like most AI solutions, mostly geared to AI of land based things? I have a 2d space fighter game and am looking for interesting solutions to aerial AI. My controllers have basic 2d rotation + thrust + weapons and I'm currently building my own AI solution to allow interesting enemy behaviour like - Attack, Run away, Out flank, Follow etc. Is this framework something that might be useful for that or is the domain too far from the intended one?

35. pneill

pneill

Bump on this thread. The waiting is killing me. This asset could be a game changer for me, so I'm pretty enthusiastic about learning more details. Any updates here?

36. Toad

Toad

Any update on this?

37. dreadt9

dreadt9

With the price, you could do something like for the first 2 weeks its $50 and after that its $100...

38. Trikona23

Trikona23

is this for use with the pro navigation system ?
    Would it be possible for agent to walk up walls /ceilings ? ( i.e spiders/ants etc)

39. dreadt9

dreadt9

God, I can't wait till it comes out! Although, the more they delay it, the better it is becoming probably.

40. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hey all,

We're getting very close. We just have a few more bugs to squish before we will be happy enough. After we get these fixed, we will probably be ready to release it! Thanks everyone for your patience.

41. danreid70

danreid70

Pro only? Or Indie, too?

42. Dreamora

Dreamora

If it relies on Unitys NavMesh and Navigation capabilities then Pro only

43. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Yes, this means that if you really want to benefit from it, you'll need pro. The run-time NavMesh system actually works with Unity Free, but, it doesn't grant you the ability to bake the NavMeshes. Once they're baked it doesn't matter which version you use.

44. dreadt9

dreadt9

God this is going to be awesome :D

45. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

You have to understand that Smell (sensing odour) is just another set of parameters, you just have to make the script . You could do this in a variety of ways I guess. Here is one I thought of on the fly:

In Unity I would make the player character leave "OdourMarkers" as he walks around. Big ones where he stands still, maybe when he collides with some objects. These are constantly pruned though so we don't get a level full of them.
    These would work with triggers. Entering one would point the hunter to the next closest one or the next in order, depending on how smart you want the hunter to seem.
    If a character entered an area and couldn't acquire a target using a line of sight approach, he would change to "looking for OdorMarkers" behaviour. Wind could move these markers around. The hunter would probably benefit from a larger collider specifically used for these markers.

46. pneill

pneill

Any status update on this one? First post said it was going to be submitted to the asset store that week (three weeks ago).

47. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update. We are submitting to the Asset Store today. :)

Thanks.

48. dreadt9

dreadt9

Has it been accepted yet?

49. drift501

drift501

Could I use this as an AI behaviour for animals. I want a script that is realistic. By that I mean the animal will get assigned random waypoints on the map in areas that I have painted and detection based on line of sight to the player, noise, movement, stance, smell and proximity to the player so that I could me standing up running and the animal will detect me at around 50 metres but if I have put on a scent blocker, am hardly moving at all making only the tinyest sound and I am in prone I could get within 5 metres of the animal undetected. I also have a caller in the game so if I use that the animal would have a 75% chance of seeking out where the call was made. And I noticed you had flee and attack option so say I had a cougar I could give it a 70% chance of getting assigned the flee behaviour and a 30% chance of the attack behaviour upon player detection. I currently have a script being written but if your asset can do this I may have to speed up development of my asset to get the money for this.

50. dreadt9

dreadt9

Have you even put it on?