Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Behaviors Made Easy! (Walker Boys)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by profcwalker, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Vermz

Vermz

ProfCWalker - Ex Guilderhaller here, Cohort 5 actually. Product looks awesome and I am going to purchase once I order my Unity Pro. Since I am a designer I am relying a bit on Playmaker for state machine work and Sage for Animation Blending. Do you know or do you plan to try to integrate this tool with any of these other add-ons or if there are any comparability issues with your tool suite?

2. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hey all,

In case you missed it, version 1.2.1 has been released! :) It includes the ability to implement 3rd party pathfinding systems. It also includes some improvements, changes, and of course bug fixes.

Here's a basic code sample to get you headed in the right direction for adding in a 3rd party system.

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using AIBehavior;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class MyScript : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     void Awake()
    8.     {
    9.         AIBehaviors ai = GetComponent<AIBehaviors>();
    10.         ai.externalMove = OnMove;
    11.     }
    13.     void OnMove(Vector3 targetPoint, float targetSpeed, float rotationSpeed)
    14.     {
    15.         // With some 3rd party pathfinding systems you have to handle the movement and rotation yourself
    16.         // as they only provide the path by which to follow
    18.         otherPathFindingSystem.target = targetPoint;
    19.         otherPathFindingSystem.speed = targetSpeed;
    20.         otherPathFindingSystem.rotationSpeed = rotationSpeed;
    21.     }
    22. }

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. profcwalker

profcwalker

@ Vorx: Excellent, a C5 grad. :) For the AI Behavior, we are focusing on just this tool for the moment. Nathan has done a wonderful job on the programming side and has set it up to be open for programmers/designers to add third party plugins as needed. We did however release (post above) support for 3rd party pathing systems. :)

It's great to hear from you and I hope things are going well.

Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you.

4. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi ProfCWalker ,

Is this a tutorial that teach user to build ai from scratch, or a ai lib to be used immediately?

Thanks in advance

5. profcwalker

profcwalker

@ rockysam: The AI Behavior is a tool that you can drop into your project and use immediately. The tutorials that we have posted in the thread are step-by-step examples of using the system and all it's many features. :) Hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions. Thank you.

6. Mikie

Mikie

I am one turtorial from buying. How about A* pathfinding and AI Behaviors. Just a simple movie.

7. Toad

Toad

I've got a simple chase evade scene setup where an enemy is in an idle state until it gets line of sight of a player, when it switches to follow state. This seems to work fine, but it stops working if I edit the follow state to return to an idle state if no player is in sight. The enemy moves forward a few steps and then stops. Is this a bug or should a different approach be used for this sort of scenario?

8. profcwalker

profcwalker

@ MattSimpson: Here is a chase and evade scene setup video tutorial. Let me know if this works for you and/or if you need anything further. Thank you.

9. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Mikie, are you interested in us making a video for a particular A* system, or any A* system that's out there?

Thanks,
    Nathan

10. Mikie

Mikie

Yes, would you use AstarPathfindingProject. The free one. I kind of understand it. And any simple behavior from AI Behaviors. Is this possible? Just give me a start and I will buy AI Behavior.

11. Toad

Toad

Thanks for the video. That's pretty much how I had it set-up but it doesn't work for me. I've been playing around with the settings and it seem to work if I set the eye position Y = 0 instead of 1.5. Any ideas why that might be the case?

Talking of which, why does the visual representation of the line of sight ray start from Y pos = 0 instead of the actual Eye Position Y?

EDIT: Got it working but I had to put the ground/floor plane in a layer that isn't one of the Visual Obstruction Layers.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  12. S37H

S37H

Hey this looks great :) A few questions..

Say I need some concurrent actions such as setting a movement type as well as allowing possibility of shooting at the player. Example would be enemy chases player and begins shooting while chasing, player shoots back and hits enemy, enemy begins evading but still aimed at player and maintains shooting. Could this be possible with your kit out of the box? I imagine I could keep movements controlled in a separate class for this but would be nice if I didn't have to :).

Can any single state have multiple triggers? So one state could have maybe 3 possible states to change to, depending on which one is triggered first?

Any eta on some of the API documentation? Or if it will be a while, is it reasonable that with a bit of studying the code, an average programmer might be able to get the idea of how it works and create some new states/triggers? The plug-and-play interface you have is really appealing and I'm definitely going to want to script more for it. :D

Sorry if that's a lot to answer. Thanks!

13. danreid70

danreid70

Definitely a video tutorial on using one of the 3rd party Nav systems (so us Indie's without Pro can use it). I purchased this last week, and hoping this weekend I'll get enough free time to watch all of the videos and set up my AI - I'm excited to dig in! Very slick!!! And your tutorials set the bar for top-notch Unity add-ons!!! Great work!!!

14. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Matt, that sounds like it may be an issue we need to address. If you don't have any assets that are under NDA and if your project isn't too big for your email to send, feel free to zip it up and email it to us by using the Components/AI/Report a Bug menu option.

15. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Frip, I'll try and answer all of your questions. :)

Shoot and Chase at the same time?

Quick answer, at the moment this isn't an out of the box feature, I'll be keeping this one in mind though as to whether we will implement something like this and if so the best way to approach it. You can, however, have your own scripts that handle the shooting behavior while in the follow state. Also, with the next release it will be very easy to implement your own states if you have one that you don't have and don't want to wait for us to hopefully one day add it in. :)

Can any single state have multiple triggers?

Yes, each state has multiple triggers in which you can choose any state per trigger. With the next release, which will hopefully be out in a few weeks, you will be able to easily add in your own custom triggers and possibly rearrange which order they are checked in. You cannot do this right now, they are in a fixed order.

Any eta on some of the API documentation?

No ETA yet, it will be at least another month or so since we still have some major plans that will effect the Docs for the API, but it is definitely an important piece that we want to get right for our system.

Or if it will be a while, is it reasonable that with a bit of studying the code, an average programmer might be able to get the idea of how it works and create some new states/triggers?

As far as extending it, as of our next release it will be very easy to code both your own states and your own triggers... you'll see what I mean when we get it done and post a video for them ;)

Hopefully that answers your questions, sorry if I missed one in there.

16. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Dan,

I just got done making a video a few hours ago, Eric's going to follow through it to make sure that it's what you guys need and hopefully if all goes well, we'll get it posted before the weekend starts :)

17. profcwalker

profcwalker

AI Behavior and Astar Pathfinding Implementation​

The step by step video tutorials are now available. Nathan has done an excellent job walking you through the entire process of implementing the Astar Pathfinding with our AI Behavior system in just 20 minutes (Below).

So, what does that mean for the indie user?
    It means you can purchase AI Behavior to develop with, and use the free version of Unity and the free version of Astar Pathfinding.

Don't forget, we have about two more weeks left before our next release (which includes a bunch of great things) and our introductory price goes away. Be sure to purchase your copy of AI Behavior today while it's still on sale.

18. Mikie

Mikie

Nice. Do you think you could include the Astar Pathfinding script in your package. The scene. Can all the behaviors be accomplished with Astar Pathfinding and Indie? Thanks.

19. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi ProfCWalker,

1. If we buy this kit, are all update be free?
    2. How many years of experience of writing AI projects?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  20. Prof. E Walker

Prof. E Walker

@ Mikie: Glad the video works for you! :) This really opens up the availability of this fantastic tool to all the Unity Users and demonstrates a simple and straightforward approach to getting up and running with an external path-finding system.

The beauty of the system is that all the behaviors work just right with the Astar Path Finding System. A few minutes of setup and you will be up and running.

We hope the setup goes well for you and please let us know when you get it all tied together!

(Note: Our current plans are to support the code for integrating with Astar Path Finding, within the forum and on the Product website coming soon.)

21. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi ProfCWalker,

1. If we buy this kit, are all update be free?
    2. How many years of experience of writing AI projects? (Just curious)

I asked this because I am really interested in this and your previous tutorials are so great.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  22. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi RockySam,

1) Yes, all updates are free! :)
    2) I can't personally say for Eric and Chad, but for myself I've been writing AI code off and on ever since I started programming around 1997.

Hope this helps :)

23. muso56

muso56

I purchased your system..the "documentation" you provide is not very useful for example i have yet to discover what a "navigation tool" is as mentioned in step 14 of the quick start...

14.)Create a navigation mesh for this prefab using the Navigation Tool

......All the videos i have found apart from the "Intro" have no audio..and therefore are pretty much useless... I dont consider myself stupid or inexperienced but so far my $100 is pretty much a waste of time... You might consider some illustrations in addition to just words...I know what its like to create docs and in this case there was an assumed knowledge on the part of the reader. A picture is worth...$100 maybe :)

Heres hoping you can clear up the fog for me

24. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi muso, sorry you're having some trouble with our tool. The Navigation tool that is being referred to is Unity's internal navigation system. You can find that under the menu system at Window/Navigation and does require a basic understanding of Unity's Nav mesh system.

If you happen to be using Unity Free you won't be able to use the internal system, but you can take a look at these videos (with audio) that show how to setup our system using the Astar Pathfinding tool.

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDkiYjWzQr4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz1X8PYfp1g

Astar Pathfinding:
    http://www.arongranberg.com/unity/a-pathfinding/download/

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

25. profcwalker

profcwalker

@ muso56: Also, just in case you may not have seen on this thread, there is over an hour and half of training videos (with audio) taking you step-by-step through the entire tool and usage. I'll reorganize the videos and put them on the first post so that they are easier to find. Hope that helps. Thank you. :)

26. rockysam888

rockysam888

Thank you for your reply. :)

27. vimal

vimal

Hi Nathan,

I am about to buy your AI package. But I have a question,
    Is it possible to search for a player by hearing some sounds ( like gun firing ) ?

Thanks.

28. danreid70

danreid70

LOVING this package!!! To anyone wondering if this package is worth it: definitely watch through ALL the tutorials, start by creating your own prefab following the instructions, pop your favorite animated model in it (and make sure you type the animation names correctly - ie., walk, idle, idle_01, etc...) and make sure you understand the navigation system (pro: nav, or if using indie, the A* pathfinding, and be sure to watch those last 2 tutorials)... This is the first AI system that REALLY covers it ALL! Got so tired of the spaghetti-code that was evolving out of my other AI attempts, and this one just WORKS!!! I have a bunch of AI characters walking around right now and I keep getting more ideas for them every minute! :) With NO code (except for the A* code in the last 2 tutorials). Once I get these dudes doing what I want, I'll start tweaking code for the custom stuff - but WOW, this AI is sweet - Out-Of-The-Box!!! Great work guys! Best package I've ever purchased! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next!!!

29. chin

chin

Did this package support local avoidance and ai behaviour like flocking and steering? What the price after the promotion period? Btw, love the unity tutorial done by you guy at your website. The 2D template going to come out?

30. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Vimal, that particular trigger was originally planned for our initial release but got canned for a few reasons, one of which being the overhead of finding AudioSources in the scene is very high and the other being redundancy as you can use some of the other triggers (and a new one coming in the next release). We will also have another video showing how you can extend the use of our tool with very little effort if you want to add in special case triggers such as audio.

Finally, if we think of a way to add in an audio trigger that doesn't sacrifice performance we will certainly do so because we did think this trigger was important from the very beginning.

Keep watching this thread for the next couple of weeks and I think we may have a pretty simple solution that will solve your particular audio need without actually needing to look for an AudioSource.

Thanks for your interest Vimal,
    Nathan

31. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Thanks Dan, that's fuel for my late night fire for implementing a new feature I'm working on tonight :)

32. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Chin,

Chad and Eric will have to answer the 2D template question since that's their particular system :)

As for the avoidance system, since by default we're using the builtin Nav system it will handle avoidance for you. If you are using Unity Free you'll need to use a 3rd party pathfinding system that handles avoidance. Or to be put very simply, our system doesn't do any kind of pathfinding, but is rather a way to harness behaviors on top of a pathfinding solution of your choice.

Hope this helps,
    Nathan

33. vimal

vimal

Thank you for your reply Nathan.

One more question, does this AI package work well with Mobile platform?

34. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

That's a good question. I didn't mention this in the release notes, but I spent quite a bit of time on the previous bug fix release making sure that you can use code stripping on mobile. We haven't used it to build a game on mobile yet, but, have built our samples out to mobile and they worked just as well as the editor or a standalone player. :)

Hope this helps,
    Nathan

35. Mikie

Mikie

Do you have all the movies together on your website in a nice sequential order? Also the ones for Astar Path-finding.

36. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Mikie,

We will have our website for the product up at some point in the near future and will have the videos organized nicely within the site, for now, they're all on the front page, in the first post.

Thanks,
    Nathan

37. jaya

jaya

Hi,

I was trying to assign an animation to my character by following the basic guidance, however I was bit confused when I click add at the AI Behaviors Animation States and have assign a name then I click the edit button at the AI Behaviors and nothing happen ? is there supposed to be a pop up windows showing edit properties or anything ?.

Appreciate your help very much, Thank you.

Best regards,
    Jaya

38. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Jaya, when you click the Edit button it changes which state you are editing just below the general properties all in the same inspector. It should be labeled with something like "Patrol State" or "Defend State" or whatever.

To be a little more descriptive, if you follow the sections of the panel under the section where you see all the states with the "Edit" buttons, you have:

Player Tags:
    Initial State:
    General AI Properties:
    Animation Component Callback:
    --- Idle State ---
    ... all of the idle state properties

If you click Edit for the patrol state, that whole last section will change to the Patrol State properties.

If you still are having trouble, watch the videos on the front page of this forum thread as they go through pretty much everything in the system as far as interface goes.

Hope this helps,
    Nathan

39. jaya

jaya

Hi Nathan,

Got it .... thank you.

Best regards,
    Jaya

40. SteveB

SteveB

Hey guys, I had questions from page 4 that I believe were missed. I'll cut and paste:

I see that you simply add additional animations to a state to create a random choice between them, but there's no way to apply a 'weight' to an anim. Fidget_Idles you want to play far less frequently than Idles, and therefore you'd give them a much lower percentage chance to play.

Also again, what about brand new states?

Thank you :)

-Steve

41. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Steve, yes we did miss your question, sorry about that :)

It's funny because I just started to implement a random trigger yesterday so that you can go between states at random along with being able to setup multiple states of the same type. Also it will be very easy to begin implementing states and triggers of your very own. Of course we'll have videos covering these features for our next release.

Thanks Steve,
    Nathan

42. SteveB

SteveB

Hi Nathan :)

So these are future additions to the software?

Thanks man

-Steve

43. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

That's right, and should be out in my estimation in about 2 weeks :)

44. SteveB

SteveB

Sweet and I realized I meant to say the 'next' release...obviously you implied 'future additions' :D

Thanks Nathan

45. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I'm considering buying this but I had a few questions.

1) Looking through the tutorials, there is a lot of setup to chain states together into a behavior. Do you have any prefabs for common predefined behaviors? For example, a standard melee attacker that would idle until a player is within line of sight, then follow until within melee range, then attack until the player's dead. Or a ranged attacker that would idle until the player's in line of sight, then attack while attempting to maintain range? I can see that the pieces are there for us to set them up how we want, but a few preset behaviors would make purchasing this an easier choice because I could drop it into a project more quickly and worry about tweaking it to customize later.

2) Is there a way to do two states simultaneously? For example, follow while shooting or heal while fleeing? Or would these be new custom states that we'd have to implement?

3) Maybe this is covered by seek, but is there a way to have the AI "hunt" for the player rather than move directly towards him? For example, wander around within a small radius scanning in a circle with its line of sight?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  46. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi makeshiftwings,

1) Not this upcoming release, but the one after that will be our preset release where we plan on having predefined presets as well as the ability for you to make your own presets. It will also include a related system which will be a one stop solution for you to be able to get and load save data for your ai agents so you can save and load your games using that data. We plan on at least two formats for getting the data (a Generic dictionary and XML).

2) The only way for you to do two states simultaneously would be to make a single state that does two things. Chasing/Fleeing while shooting is definitely one worthy of consideration for a future update :)

3) It is somewhat covered by seek, but we have plans to implement a more independent version of that which will basically search a radius at random instead of just going to the last know location and giving up if the player can't be spotted from there (which is what it does now).

Great questions! I hope this post answers them.
    Nathan

47. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Cool, thanks for the quick response! I'm excited to see how this project progresses.

48. danreid70

danreid70

Just a quick FYI to anyone using Unity Indie, and the free A* pathfinding - if you set up the pathfinding correctly, create your AI character to use "(No Nav Mesh Agent)", add the AIFollow script to your AI character, and create the following script and attach it, you will be all set - no need to even create a separate target for each AI - just let the script do it automagically:

create this script as a CS script, and name it: AI_PathResponder.cs

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class AI_PathResponder : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public Transform target;
    8.     AIFollow follower;
    9.     void Awake()
    10.     {
    11.         target = new GameObject().transform;
    12.         target.name = "TARGET_"+name;
    13.         AIBehaviors ai = GetComponent<AIBehaviors>();
    14.         ai.externalMove = OnMove;
    15.         follower = GetComponent<AIFollow>();
    16.         follower.target = target;
    17.     }
    18.     void OnMove(Vector3 targetPoint, float targetSpeed, float rotationSpeed)
    19.     {
    20.         target.position = targetPoint;
    21.         follower.speed = targetSpeed;
    22.         follower.rotationSpeed = rotationSpeed;
    23.     }
    24. }
    It really is THAT easy!!! I modified the CS code just a bit from the tutorial, and now all I have to do is copy my prefab, replace original model with a new model, make sure the animation names are correct for the model, and voila! Instant AIs running around without need for Unity Pro! You Walker Boys have really done a superb job here! Was very easy to implement!

(PS: part of setting up A* and the AI character to use Patrol points, gave me the idea to create a spawner as part of the NAV points, so that the spawner essentially becomes the first NAV point, and all the instantiated AIs will get their Patrol Points Group from the Game Object containing the Spawner and patrol points... Sweet! The bots just appear, and magically follow the points from their spawn location, and the spawner keeps track of how many there are and whether and when to spawn more... :) ) Already having fun with this!!! :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  49. Mikie

Mikie

Hi Danreid70,

Thanks for the code. Are you using AI Behaviors with Indie and the free version of Astar pathfinding?

50. RideTheT

RideTheT

Hello everyone, just started playing around with AI Behaviours and I'm enjoying it apart from one problem. First off I want to say good job with all the documentation and videos, it really helps with these types of packages.

My problem is with the speed that the AI updates its target direction when using the follow state. Using the avatar complete template it seems to update once a second which means my player character can literally run rings around the AI.

I assume this is to do with the way nav mesh agents are handled in AIBehaviour.cs. It seems that only the rotation of an agent is updated in void Update(), and not the target direction.

In contrast if I drop the following simple script that I wrote on a character with only a nav mesh agent, I get a much smoother follow effect.
    PHP:
    public class Follow MonoBehaviour {

public 
    Transform Tplayer;

void Start () {

}

void Update () 
        {

GetComponent<NavMeshAgent>().destination Tplayer.position;
        }
    }
    So I think that's the root of the problem but I'm not a good enough coder in order to edit AI Behaviours, can anyone help?

Another issue I came across which I think is a bug unless I'm doing something silly, is when I set a trigger for an AI to Idle from the follow state when they come within a certain distance. Using avatar_complete they just keep on walking. Setting the change state to dead, or melee attack works fine.

Many thanks, and I look forward to seeing this package evolve!