Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Endless Void (Space Combat Sim)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ENNEMMEE, Apr 20, 2012.

1. ENNEMMEE

ENNEMMEE

Well, I started this project a while ago and first I posted my progress to the "small WIPs that do not need their own thread" thread, but now I feel that I definately WILL continue developing this game... and since it's not that small I decided to start an own thread for it.

The name "Endless Void" is just a working title and could be changed in the future. My goal is to create a mixture of Privateer, Freelancer, Wing Commander, XWing vs. Tie-Fighter AND Eve Online. Yes, one of those is a MMO and that's what I'm dreaming of. I don't know if I can manage to go that far, but it's on my wishlist. At least I want to reach a similar level of complexity like Eve Online but mixed with a more action based gameplay...

WIP 01:
    This is a video of my first WIP so that you know what you can expect from it:

WIP 02:
    - accidently deleted screen shots and web player -

WIP 03:
    - accidently deleted screen shots and web player -

Looking forward to your answers, and greetings from Germany ;-)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. Marrt

Marrt

It has been suggested before but i also recommend the overhaul of the mousemovement:
    in your current implementation you need to put the mousecursor on the exact middle pixel of the screen in order to fly straight.

You could do:
    -read the mouse axis input as a rotation offset, so you get a targetRotation that differs from your current rotation
    -lerp to that targetRotation, or better: RotateTowards (so you can't rotatate by an insane amount of degree by moving the mouse very fast).
    -keep in mind that you rotate relative to the ship, not the world
    -i would hide the cursor and make a 2 hud rectangles or circles
    --the first is directly attached to your shipfront
    --the second is attached to the target rotation, so you always see where your ship is trying to rotate to

-i think i remember the behavior of RotateTowards only limits the maximal rotationSpeed which is appreciable in your game
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Quaternion.RotateTowards.html
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Vector3.RotateTowards.html

-you can disable rightclickmenu when you build the webplayer

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. ENNEMMEE

ENNEMMEE

Yep, mouse movement will be changed in the next step including a dead zone in the middle and a direction indicator to visualize in which direction the ship tries to turn to... I have already planned that ;-) thanks for the feedback :)

4. ENNEMMEE

ENNEMMEE

The project is progressing although I didn't have much time since my last posts... meanwhile I have had a look at procedural planets and developed such dynamically generated and full sized planets myself... I didn't want to just buy such an asset from the asset store because this way I could learn and improve my understanding of how such algorithms work...

Here's what my first procedural planet looks like:

earth-like texturing:

lava planet texturing:

Btw. the graphics card is a nVidia 9500 GT so framerate is quite good ;-)

Still there's much to do I think:
    1) planets need an atmosphere... I just don't have an idea about how to achieve this...
    2) my planets contain a lot of sectors... each of those is a separate mesh... at the borders of those meshes there's color differences which are a result of different lighting or so... don't know how to fix that at the moment but I'm looking for a solution...
    3) fogging... I think I should have a closer look at shader programming
    4) different shaders for water and landmass... well... mh... I think I'll have to split the meshes into 2 separate ones to be able to apply a water shader
    5) clouds... I want clouds... moving clouds ;-)
    6) vegetation: trees, grass... hm... will certainly be interesting to watch the framerate drop ;-)

Mmh still a lot to do but fortunately it's quite a lot of fun developing this... looking forward to your opinions ;-)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012