Search Unity

Simple TODO: A simple task manager [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SONB, Apr 18, 2012.

1. SONB

SONB

Simple TODO is a simple task manager, which allows you to track the progress of your project in a simple and comfortable way.
    This is an extended and polished version of the to-do manager I used in my last projects.

Features (version 1.1.2):
    • Create/drag/delete your tasks
    • Set the priority (High/Low)
    • Change the status (To-do/Done)
    • Add/assign/remove categories
    • Sort by status and categories
    • Change the title of your tasks
    • Add/edit notes
    • Progress bar
    • Saving your tasks in the background
    • Save/load your task lists
    • Save/load your category lists
    • Light and Dark skins
    • Undo

Changelog:
    Version 1.1.2
    • [FIXED] Updated to the new Undo system introduced in Unity 4.3, causing error messages
    • [FIXED] The incompatibility between Simple TODO and Strumpy Shader Editor
    Version 1.1.1
    • [NEW] New asset file format (not compatible with version 1.1 and below!). The file format had to be
      rewritten, to ensure that the task/category lists saved in one project can be loaded in another. With the
      previous file format this was not possible, making the feature pointless. Additionally the new format
      should improve compatibility between different versions of the extension.
    • [FIXED] Now it is possible to load task/category lists, which were created in another project (see above).
    • [FIXED] When loading a task/category list, temporary assets were not deleted automatically.
    • There is no need to close the extension before moving it into a custom folder.
    Version 1.1
    • [NEW] Now you can save and load your category lists
    • [NEW] Ability to save task/category lists outside the "Assets" folder
    • [NEW] You can move the extension into a custom folder. You should move the root folder of the extension ("Illusive Gears"), do not change the inner hierarchy of this folder!

For more screenshots please go to the Asset Store.

Any questions and critics are welcome.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. Demigiant

Demigiant

Looks both useful and beautiful (which is rare), congrats on the release :)

3. SONB

SONB

Thanks, Izitme, and thanks for your Editor Undo Manager. I didn't implement it directly in my script but used it as a tutorial, to learn how Undo actually works. It was a great help for me :)

4. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Looks nice! Will this work in a team environment using the Asset Server?

5. SONB

SONB

@Thomas Pasieka: Thank you, Thomas. This feature is not yet implemented. Unfortunately my test period for Unity Pro is over. I will try and ask the support to extend it. If I have some luck then the next version will have full support for Asset Server.

6. c-Row

c-Row

Been looking forward to this since you posted a screenshot in the WIP forum.

One issue I ran into is that it seems like SimpleToDo can't save its configuration if I put it into a parent folder (I like to keep all my external assets like iTween, NGUI etc. in an extra folder). If I move it back to the root hierarchy everything seems to work fine.

7. SONB

SONB

Thanks for reporting the issue, c-Row.
    If I understand you right, you're trying to save a backup of your current task list ("Tools"->"Save Task List As...") in a folder outside your Assets folder. If that's the case, you should see an error popup window generated by Unity Editor, not by the extension. I guess it's a limitation of the AssetDatabase class, which I use to save assets. I'll take a look at this issue and fix it with the next update.

8. c-Row

c-Row

No, I am trying to place the imported asset in a subfolder rather than the top hierarchy of the project window, but ST appears to try and save its configuration like it was still on top.

( Simple ToDo scheint ein Problem damit zu haben, wenn ich es im Project-Fenster in einen Unterordner verschiebe, weil es seine Einstellungen anscheinend in einer Datei speichern will, die laut Debug-Konsole im "obersten" Ordner liegt statt in diesem Unterordner ;) )

9. SONB

SONB

Oh, now I see! Sorry, I thought you're talking about an *.asset file.
    You're right, Simple TODO saves/sees the configuration file only when it's located in the root (Assets) folder. I'm going to change it so that the configuration file can be found and saved properly, no matter where Simple TODO is located. Now it's just a fixed path like "Assets/Illusive Gears/Simple TODO/Saved/SavedData.asset".

Danke für die Übersetzung, hat geholfen :D

10. c-Row

c-Row

:D

What I can confirm is that it works great with more than one PC/Mac working on the same project synched via Dropbox for example. Not exactly Asset Server functionality of course, but if you are only one person keeping the project folder in sync on more than one machine, all entries are synced between your clients as well.

Money well spent. :)

11. SONB

SONB

Well, after all, I was working for 2 years on this "feature". :D

Thanks, good to know. :)

12. nukeD

nukeD

Just grabbed it, great tool!
    Thanks!

13. SONB

SONB

I'm glad you like it. :)

I just fixed the bugs mentioned above and trying to implement the ability to save/load category lists, so the user doesn't have to create the same categories from scratch beginning a new project. Don't know why I didn't do this in the first place.
    I will submit the update tomorrow.

14. SONB

SONB

Updated to version 1.1.
    Please read the first post.

15. c-Row

c-Row

Tried to update following your instructions. I got a TasksBackup.asset file, but I can't seem to reimport it after updating - my list remains empty.

16. SONB

SONB

Damn... Yesteday, before submitting the update, everything worked fine. Now I'm trying to import my old list and it doesn't work. Don't know, what's gone wrong.
    Do you have many tasks in your old list? I mean, the task list format won't change in the future versions anymore, so you just could write a new one if you had just a few tasks. You can look into your old list if you click on it. You will see your categories and tasks in the inspector.
    OR, if you have too many tasks and don't want to rewrite them again from scratch, I could send you the old .dll.

17. c-Row

c-Row

Less than a dozen, really, and half of them were already marked as done. I will probably just enter them again then.

[edit] Saving and reloading a new list works fine.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  18. SONB

SONB

Updated to version 1.1.1 (just a hotfix update). More details in the first post.
    DO NOT update if you don't want to lose your current lists!
    The export/import tool can handle ONLY the asset files, which were created in the version 1.1.1 and above.

19. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

SONB,

Great tool, first off. However the tool very badly hangs the unity editor. I think you might want to look at putting it into a separate thread. It appears to be worse the longer it is open (docked). I am on Win 7 - 64 Bit Pro, with Unity 3.5f2 Pro. If there is any sort of diagnostics you want me to do let me know.

20. SONB

SONB

Thank you, KrankyBoyGames.
    As I read on Unity Answers, putting an EditorWindow into a separate thread is not possible. What I could put into another thread are complex calculations, functions, which have nothing to do with Unity's API. The 'problem' is that there are no such heavy calculations at all. I'm gonna read through the code and see, what I can do. I'm sure, there is plenty of room for some light weight optimizations.

One question: Do you notice the lag working on your project or is it noticeable in the Profiler or both? Sorry, I don't have Unity Pro, so I have no clue how the Profiler works.

21. Demigiant

Demigiant

Finally got to buy it. Simple and beatiful to look at: I'm very happy with it :) I also just wrote a 5 stars review, though it doesn't appear in my Asset Store - maybe it needs to be approved?

22. SONB

SONB

Ah, finally the first review! And so well written. Thank you very much :)
    Now I see your 5 stars, thanx!

23. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ehe I'm not the first reviewer. If you're talking about Tate McCormick's, he was there before me, while my review is still invisible (at least from here). Will check again tomorrow and eventually write it again in case something didn't work. You surely deserve more 5 stars :)

24. SONB

SONB

Oh, didn't notice the date of the review. Your review is invisible here too. Must be approved or something.
    Thanks anyway, good to see "Highly Recommended" :D

25. blaze

blaze

Just bought and is awesome!
    But, I think that you need to add some stuffs more:

"Subtasks", now I need to create some guns, then would be great if I can create a task called "Create new guns", and put some subtasks inside, "Create granade", "Create Sniper", "Create Bazooka". I could duplicate all this, and put in diferent categories, then I would have the "animations" of the guns, the "audio", the "particles", the "scripts". Then, subtask would be so great.

"More priority levels", now you only have one level, I think that we need at least 3 priority levels, to sort the list with the urgent above. You can show the level o priority with Red, orange, and light orange.

"Priority sorting", prioritary tasks needs to be in the top. This is very important.

"Icons" showing if the task have notes is needed too.

With all this, the Simple TODO will get to a high level, and will be a more complete asset.
    For now, the TODO is awesome! I just suggested more stuff to make it more complete for me, and you have a more complete product to sell too.

Thank you very much!

[edit]
    I saw right now, attaching more than one category to each task would be great too. ;)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  26. Demigiant

Demigiant

Wrote a review again, and this time it appeared immediately. Now I realize it's not the first time it happened to me: I suppose the Asset Store review system is quite buggy.
    If I can intrude in what blaze said, I could go without any of the options he asked, since Simple TODO has a slickness and a price tag that commend it to be simple :p Only thing I would suggest is to add a way to simply click on the right side of a task to quickly set the category: that's the only thing that otherwise takes a lot of time (3 clicks). Also, the panel background doesn't adapt to very wide panels. But again, seen the price tag, it's already perfect as it is :)

27. blaze

blaze

Right, for the price yes. You paid for what you have now. But if he wants to profit more, needs to increment the asset.
    Can be another asset the "Advanced TODO". I know that $5 is a litthe price. But if he dont make a better tool, leave this simple, anyone comes and get his place with a usefull TODO.

I wrote that was just suggestions. Dont need to worry, I paid $5, is a good price for what it have. And the Simple TODO is awesome, very good.
    But, I just want to help to do a best tool.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want a extreme tool for this price, just looking for a good asset.
    I'm not complaining about the asset. Difficult to read the "awesome"?
    And, if he put all this, he can charge a bit more, something like $10~15.

28. Demigiant

Demigiant

@blaze: sorry it seems there was a misunderstanding :) I certainly didn't mean to say that your suggestions, or what you wrote, were bad, nor that you were complaining - as you clearly weren't, and suggestions are always welcome. Was just expressing my appreciation for Simple TODO's price/value completeness ;)

29. SONB

SONB

First of all: Thanks for your ideas, suggestions, critics and review (Izitmee, this time it worked :))

@blaze: That's a nice set of new features that you suggest, which seem very useful. But it requires me to redesign the whole layout of the tool and this would bring a bit of complexity with it. I think it is a good idea to make "Advanced TODO" for a slightly higher price.

For now, I would implement following features in Simple TODO:
    • More priority levels
    • Priority sorting
    • Icons
    • Ability to quickly set a category
    The ability to set more than one category to each task is a tricky one, 'cause there is not much space to show all categories on each task bar. So I'll have to shrink them or display just the number of categories assigned to the bar (just brainstorming here). Have to think about it.

Advanced features (later, maybe in Advanced TODO(?)):
    • Subtasks
    • Timeline - a line graph showing completed tasks with time stamps
    @Izitmee: The background not adapting to very wide panels (I think you mean, it's not stretching to the full width of the panel) was made intentionally. The reason is: Fully stretched task bars look ugly :D I didn't think that anyone would use the tool in a wide panel or in fullscreen mode. That's why I limited the stretching. Maybe I should add an option in the settings to turn the stretching on and off. Hmm..

More ideas are welcome!

30. blaze

blaze

@SONB:
    Subtasks is very good, but I dont know a "TODO" that have this inside. I use Remember The Milk, is good but it dont have subtasks too.
    Timeline is a good thing too. Maybe, with this, you can implement a "mini system" to get track of the time worked. It is very good to freelancers.

Now, with the features that you said you will implement, I think that "Simple TODO" will get complete. Nothing more to add. :)
    Then, you can use the profit with Simple TODO, to "pay" the work with the ATM "Advanced Tasks Manager".
    Do you liked the name? I promess that I will buy the ATM. ;)

Add more than one category is good only with the subtasks implemented. Then you will put some catergories on the "head" task, and just one category on each subtask. For now, we dont need that.

@Izitmee: Man, seems even. Sorry about that! But if he increase the features a little bit, he will sell a lot more. And no one will try to make a competitor to it. But if stay with the lack of features, someone comes and make a more complete and take his place in the market. :)
    I'm just trying to help us to get a good tool and he to sell alot. And yes, I understood it wrong. Now I understood.

A bear hug, here from Hell.

31. Demigiant

Demigiant

@SONB: About the background, that's probably because I use a 1200px wide monitor, and tend to put the output panel to cover half the width of the app (so I can read logs more easily), which I most of the time keep almost fullscreen. That said, I immediately tried to place Simple TODO under that wide output panel ;)

@blaze: and I probably should've been more mindful, since I wasn't minding my own business :D Bear hug from purgatory (though winter is coming) ;)

32. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Excellent little script you have. Purchased it last week and using it consistently.

I noticed a bug though. When SimpleTodo is loaded and visible, Strumpy Shader Editor gets extremely buggy. When I close both and remove SimpleTodo from my project, Strumpy Shader Editor works just fine. This is happening in Unity 4 pro.

Here is a screenshot of the console output:

$StrumpyError.jpg

I'd like to have both running in my project and would greatly appreciate if the bug could be fixed

33. SONB

SONB

Thank you for buying the plugin and for reporting the bug, QuantumTheory.

Hm, this one is new. I'm gonna install SSE and run some tests. Seems to be a serialization problem.

34. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hi SONB,

Any progress on a potential fix?

Thanks!

35. SONB

SONB

I'm sorry I didn't reply for so long (had some health problems). But I think I found a solution for this problem, well at least it worked for me (NON PRO Unity).
    All you need to do is:

1. Download this 3rd party library "protobuf-net" https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4985579/Simple TODO protobuf-net FIX/protobuf-net.zip.
    2. Close Simple TODO window
    3. Find the old protobuf-net (Illusive Gears -> Simple TODO -> Editor -> protobuf-net.dll) and replace it with the one you downloaded.

Now try to start SSE, there should be no errors.

If there are no issues (please report if any) with this library I'll include it in the next update.

Thank you for your patience ;)

36. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Looks useful. Might check it out once the update is released.

37. Ellandar

Ellandar

Heyas SONB,

If you are having health problems and can't update the tool for a while, any chance in releasing it in a non-complied version?
    That way we can fix problems that arise ourselves (I want to move it to the folder to where I keep all my plugins and it broke your plugin due to hard coded paths I believe). I know the manual says not to do it, but if all plugins did that it would be a real mess!

El

38. SONB

SONB

Just released an update, fixing some annoying error messages.

Version 1.1.2

• [FIXED] Updated to the new Undo system introduced in Unity 4.3, causing error messages
    • [FIXED] The incompatibility between Simple TODO and Strumpy Shader Editor

To the Asset Store!

39. gamescorpion

gamescorpion

Hey there, maybe I'm missing something, but does copy/paste work in simple todo? For the life of me I keep trying to copy/paste and it just wont work...

Maybe its my computer, but I can copy/paste inside of notepad for example, but not with simple todo.

Thanks for the help!

Nav

40. SONB

SONB

Hi gamescorpion. No, it's not your computer. Copy/paste does not work yet. I guess I missed a tiny but important difference between GUI.TextField and EditorGUI.TextField. And that is, EditorGUI.TextField correctly responds to select all, copy, paste etc. in the editor. I just used the GUI version.

Sorry for that, I'll try and replace all text fields with the EditorGUI.TextField as soon as possible.

41. Cargh

Cargh

Are you continuing to develop this asset?

42. SONB

SONB

Sorry for the late reply, Cargh. I'm busy with other projects right now. Although I'm making small steps in the development, I'm still on it and have no plans to abandon the asset.

43. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Surely you don't want to update it anymore right? please prove me wrong