Search Unity

[RELEASE] Aubergines Shader Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by aubergine, Apr 17, 2012.

1. aubergine

aubergine

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I really like your outline shader. Looking forward to snagging it :)

3. imtrobin

imtrobin

Hi, what is the glass effect? It seems to be a cube map?

4. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Yes, i think you have to let look the glas shader better in the demo, please.
    I can not look true :(

The water is looking great, can i make it i little transparent too without much performance lost?
    What do the pulse and wiggle shader do with the object? I mean what happen if i have a colider on it, will it colide the way it look?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. aubergine

aubergine

Glass shader uses 1 cubemap for both reflection and refraction. Also another variation uses a normal map to distort reflections and refractions.
    Glass and water shaders transparency is adjustable with a tint color value.
    Pulse and wiggle are for pickup objects like health, ammo..etc. The collider stays the same and it just moves the vertices to some sin cos functions.

I will work on the webplayer once i am finished with the second update of lighting shaders.

6. Nikolai-Sander

Nikolai-Sander

Um, where are the Posterize/Gooch lighting models that you mentioned earlier?

Thanks!

7. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I like the triplanar projection. How do i have to prepare my models for that?

I hope for an underwater shader for i.e. a character that can swim in the water and also dive.
    Now if the player dive he suddenly sees the normal landscape again.
    Hope this is possible for mobile and for Aubergine ;)

8. aubergine

aubergine

Triplanar, you dont have to do anything special. Prepare your model with or without uvs and just apply one of the suitable shaders. Thats it.

For water diving, it is complicated if you want it to look nice. Its possible though. I will look into it, but i dont think i can make a generic one to be sold in this pack. It would be a context sensitive stuff and would need adjustments for every different case. Soo, i dont think it fits in this package.

9. aubergine

aubergine

Okay, changed the water/triplanar webplayer with a better one. You can play with the exposed values to see what goes on now.
    WATER WEBPLAYER

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  10. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

very nice shaders...water shader seem fantastic.

11. aubergine

aubergine

Submitted Version 1.2
    Considering the amount of work i put into this pack and amount of shaders there is/will be in the pack, i need to increase the price.
    So, hurry to get it while its cheap.

12. aubergine

aubergine

Rotation shader can be used to reveal invicible objects, or like a radar/scan kind of effect or some fancy sci fi vision effect.

Attached Files:

• $11.jpg
      $11.jpg
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
  13. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Nice pack, I bought the pack for the water shader.
    I also have tried the triplanar shader but this only work for static objects?
    Can you make it lock for dynamic objects?

Can you include the web player demo scene in the asset store project?
    I'm trying to setup the water shader the same way but I find it hard to do.
    Does it not support reflections from objects?
    thanks

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  14. aubergine

aubergine

Thanks for buying, hope you will find good use for all shaders in the pack.

I will add triplanar shaders for dynamic objects in the next update. Its easy.

About the web demo, i am still working on it, and i will put several demos for each shader in the next update as well.

Water shader doesnt support realtime reflections as that is too heavy for mobile. You must make a nice cubemap to fit for your water reflections.

15. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks , I also would love an underwater shader, something that distorts and gives color tint should pretty easy right?

16. aubergine

aubergine

Yeah, but it would require unity Pro, and i dont want to put in pro features in this pack. But who knows maybe in future updates i can mix them all up.

17. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

I was thinking, for an underwater effect for Indie, couldn't people use the Wiggle the Ripple effect from your replacement shaders, and add a transparent color to plane, and position this on front of the camera?

The replacement shaders were also a part of this pack right?

18. aubergine

aubergine

Hey good idea. I will try to come up with something nice with those.

Not yet, but now as you mentioned that, i shall put those in as well.

Right now i was working on some texture bombing shaders for sparkling snow, rain on surfaces...etc and i will do the underwater thing as soon as im finished with these.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  19. aubergine

aubergine

20. smitchell

smitchell

Does this work with Unity3D indie?

21. aubergine

aubergine

Offcourse! That is what this pack is meant to. All shaders target Unity Free And Mobile Free versions.

22. aubergine

aubergine

Ive also posted a webplayer for the glass effect.

Thats one quick dirty messed up webplayer, but you get the idea of what glass looks like, observe the reflections/refractions on glasses on each side of the room.

23. smitchell

smitchell

:O even the cool water simulation? If that works aswell the I am sold!!! Will purchase as soon as you confirm!

24. aubergine

aubergine

As i said, all shaders work for unity free. But also can be used for unity pro too!

25. smitchell

smitchell

Wow! I'm sold. Purchasing now.

One last question. Is there any difference using the shaders in unity indie compared to pro?

thanks.

26. mk1978

mk1978

The water shader in webplayer looks really nice and I sure that 40 euros for all of those shaders is a good price. Anyway, I would be only interested in water shader, which makes this difficult. Please let me know if you have any plans to sell some of the shaders individually.

27. aubergine

aubergine

No difference at all. Maybe in the future updates i can put in some pro only shaders too.
    With unity indie, you may have hard times rendering good cubemaps of the environment though, but its easy to overcome this issue with custom cubemap renderer. If you cant solve it, i may put a seperate cubemap renderer in the pack in a future update.

it should be 45$ not €. And no i wont put any seperate shaders. I am sure you will find a good use for the rest of the shaders too. Finally, this is just the beginning, i will put in many more shaders in this pack and price will relatively increase. So, buying early is your advantage.

28. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Yeah, I wish I had bought this back when it was 25 :p But, 45$ for these and the replacement shaders is a worthwile deal!!

29. aubergine

aubergine

Just submitted version 1.3 with the following:
    *Triplanar projection object space shaders.
    *Small bug fix with glass refraction.
    *Nice water scene from the webplayer attached to the pack.

Next up is underwater scene and my replacement shaders pack will be included in this one as well. And that will bring another price increase im afraid.

30. ZJP

ZJP

I'm looking for a selection shader like this one.

31. aubergine

aubergine

That effect in that photo is done with an image effect. But you can also use my baloon shader to get a smiliar effect. Check the first page of this post for the image.

32. janpec

janpec

Water shader looks very good, but damn i would like to see preview of reflections and refraction working:D Since you are using Unity free i guess that would be impossible right?

33. aubergine

aubergine

It is not realtime reflections/refractions, its just a clever usage of a nicely done cubemap. And you can see the preview on the webplayer.
    Reflection is just the basic cubemap reflection. Refraction uses the same cubemap but if you shoot the cubemaps bottom photo exactly same as the waters bottom, you get the same effect of a realtime refraction. And, i have not put any multiplier for the refraction effect, it can be made more obvious with a multiplier.

EDIT: Oh, i forgot. The glass shader is also a variation of the water shader. So you can also check the fake refractions in the glass demo as well.

Why are people only interested in water shader? There is more in the pack :p
    Maybe i should put a pro only water too.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  34. smitchell

smitchell

Great! I purchased this yesterday. Loving the reflection shader. Cubemaps are simple to do, I built a plugin a while ago that generates them for me :) So I finally put the plugin to good use!

Are you going to include some scenes?

Because I tried to replicate the glass effect, but doesn't look so great. I have the reflection working but nothing else :(

35. janpec

janpec

Oh ok, i really like water shader but i am actually very interested in refracted version with proper refractions where surface beneath water is refracted.

36. aubergine

aubergine

Hey, thanks for the purchase. I am also going to include a nice cubemap maker to the pack later on. So many updates to follow up.
    About the scenes, let me first finish the shaders in my mind and then i will include proper nice looking demos.

That is only possible with Unity PRO, and Unity people already provided very nice water shaders with proper refractions.
    EDIT: Techinally its also possible with unity free but it will be slow. I already posted some image effects for unity free somewhere on the forums, there you can see the fps is crawling around 20fps with 480x240 screen resolution.
    But, as i said i might put a pro only water later on to this pack as well.

37. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I use unity iphone pro, my main interest in the water shader is for mobile use, if pro is required for real reflections and underwater distortion effects thats fine for me personally, however I appreciate your commitment to make the usable with unity free. the main thing that is difficult for me is performance optimizations for mobile. As the normal water shaders from unity pro are a bit slow for mobile, maybe reduced precision would help it run well on mobile. I think there are many artist that don't know how to optimise a shader would be happy with such a water shader.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  38. aubergine

aubergine

You know, when i mean pro, i actually mean render to texture ability which will immediately drop the frame rate significantly on mobile platforms whatever your shader is.
    Briefly, you can not have all the nice features without sacrificing frame rate. No optimisation will save you more than 1 or 2 frames per second at most anyways.
    Anyways, okay if people want a fancy water so much, i will put a pro one soon in this pack with all realtime reflections, refractions, foam, flow map, raindrops :p

39. aubergine

aubergine

Here is a bonus;
    Triplanar projected, phong lighted(Speculars and glossiness), bump mapped 4 splat terrain shader replacement and blend mapped(for custom terrain meshes) which will be in the next update.
    This shader unfortunately and obviously requires shader model 3.0 support and will not work on mobile platforms in anyway.

I may add a parallax mapped version as well just to make the pack complete.

Attached Files:

40. aubergine

aubergine

Well, there are also many cool lighting functions in this pack. Forexample this Sub Surface Scattering lighting function can be used on an average diffuse shader to get the following effect. This is true sub surface scattering not a fake one, and good thing is, it can be used on mobile:)

First picture normal lambert lighting, second picture SSS lighting.

Good thing is, these are all custom lighting functions. So, you can have a million variations of different shaders and just input one line of code to activate SSS lighting or any others.

Attached Files:

• $1.jpg
      $1.jpg
      File size:
      8.6 KB
      Views:
    • $2.jpg
      $2.jpg
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  41. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Cool nice progress on the pack!, I will try the sss shader, is it possible to have fall off inside ?
    How about a shader that has sss and triplananar textures? I have never seen such a shader but I'm sure it would be great to look at.

42. aubergine

aubergine

SSS is calculated depending on light, view directions distributed among the surface normals (whether your shader writes to normals or not)
    So, there is no fall off or anything, its all calculated automatically.
    And its not a shader, its a lighting function, its your duty to write your own shader using those.

The answer to your second question is, you just take the original triplanar shader and change lighting from Aub_Lambert to Aub_SubSurfaceScatter and there is your new shader. Thats it.

Please examine the Aubergine_Lighting.cginc for many more lighting functions. And dont forget to include it in your new shaders.

43. aubergine

aubergine

Ive finished the 4 splat map full parallax mapped, phong shaded and triplanar projected shader which is also going to be in the next update.
    This one is at the limits of shader 3.0 so use with caution :p

44. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Will there be some kind of glow shader in this pack or the pro pack in the future?

45. aubergine

aubergine

That is the baloon shader. You can use it as a glow around the object.

46. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Why only Unity 3.5?? My project is on 3.4.2 and I'm about to submit it to Apple, so I don't dare upgrade to 3.5 yet. Is it possible to release this for 3.4.2 and up?

Thanks,

JL

47. aubergine

aubergine

Ive 3.4.2 installed on my ancient office computer and all shaders work.
    Assetstore automatically puts the latest release as requirement.
    Edit: but dont blame me if anything doesntwork exactly same, as i didnt test everything under every situation.

48. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Ok thanks, I can bring up 3.5 and buy them

Thanks,

JL

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  49. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Have these been tested on iDevices? How is the performance?

Thanks,

50. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Blend mapped shader for terrain objects!? Must see screenshots!