Search Unity

Toon Shader [ Released ] IOS compatible, fast and beautiful

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ippokratis, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Short and sweet answer : yes.

Long answer : The shading model that I see in the youtube trailer seems very basic, even toon shader mobile can handle it. You would need the desktop edition only if you needed a more detailed shading, like in borderlands. What makes the game pleasant to my eyes is the result of clever modelling and texturing. I ll post a thread about too shader desktop soon and any more questions will be addressed there.

2. jjobby

jjobby

Does your shader support silhouette outline? I want to use it for selected object in game. If it's not then is it possible to modified your current shader to achieve a similar effect?

3. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

4. Alf203

Alf203

Hi,

is the source available or is it a precompiled shader ? This information should be mentioned on the first page of thread and/or asset store page.

5. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    The source is not included. If you need a custom version you can contact me via pm.
    You are right about mentioning this info, I ll fix this soon.

On a side note : Alf was nice, thanks for reminding this tv series to me.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  6. jjobby

jjobby

Thank you for the answer but what I mean is something like this.

I want toon shader with only the silhouette outline. I'm currently using your shader in my game, actually. (I've bought it since the first version) But I can't find this effect so I just want to ask about it.

7. Alf203

Alf203

Thanks Ippokratis.

Alf was a show from my childhood I enjoyed that's why I picked it as username/avatar.

8. Wild-Pegasus

Wild-Pegasus

Just like jjobby, I'm also interested in having the possibility to choose "silhouette only" among the shaders so to be able to have the same look as the hair of Oliver, the little boy, in Ni No Kuni (who obviously have several layers of hair to look good from various angles but only have lines on the outer perimeter of the mesh and no lines within).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDQiyD5zotE

9. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

jjobby : It is easily achieved. Just choose an outline shader, make the outline color orange and increase the outline thickness , when something happens, e.g OnMouseDown. I ll try to create and upload a small example scene to help you (everyone actually) use this feature.

Alf2003 : Yes, it came late in Greece but it was on TV when I was a child too.

Wild Pegasus : I just want to thank you in public for your suggestions so far. They helped me a lot to shape a f.a.q. that will appear soon.
    It is important to understand the limitations of the medium you try to create art. The example you send me is a cg sequence that is created for advertising a game. Chances are that it is created in a 3d content creation suite, like 3dsmax or maya.
    Silhouettes as you describe them here and in the pm you send me (thanks for taking the time to explain the difference between silhouettes and outlines) are not gonna happen in 60fps. You should find as an artist workarounds for this, placing carefully the geometry and accepting the fact that it will not look as a render.
    I know from our previous conversations that you are aware of real time rendering limitations and I "use" your question to answer to many 3d content creators that wish to jump from renders that take minutes to 60fps. I have some mini projects I hope I will complete soon and will demonstrate how to fake folds, outlines that follow alpha. Silhouette seems a good candidate too ( make hair as a mesh instead of blades, with round ends is the recipe out of my head. I ll try to answer the other questions you send via pm as soon as possible.

Thanks for your feedback, the Toon Shader Desktop thread is a good place to post further questions :
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/184...tiful-and-fast
    Kind regards,
    -Ippokratis

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  10. Stormkrow

Stormkrow

Hi Ippokratis,

I'm really thinking of purchasing this shader, just got a few questions to make sure my purchase would be worth the time and money.
    Are there any differences in terms of the final product that can be achieved for the shading when using Unity Free or Unity Pro Versions?
    I'm creating a project with a few friends and we love these kinds of effects! And then finally does this shader come with a manual for learning how to use it?

Thanks!

11. jjobby

jjobby

Another question, is it possible to make your shader to render two sides (ex. plane)?

12. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Stormkrow :
    Yes. I am starting a F.A.Q. about Toon Shader Desktop, you can see the answer here.

The manual for Toon Shader Desktop is here.

There are 4 shaders in Toon Shader Desktop that support two sides.

I have created 2 shader packs. One is called Toon Shader Mobile and its this is its thread.
    The other is Toon Shader Desktop and its thread is here.
    Please, ask about Toon Shader Desktop in its thread.
    Thanks,
    -Ippokratis

13. imariagano

imariagano

hello

now Toon Shader Desktop - is out that time you say to make shadow on model

last year I buy Toon Shader IOS now you fix Toon Shader IOS cam make shadow on model or if I want to make shadow on model I will buy Toon Shader Desktop

or Toon Shader Desktop can make shadow like dream C club Please use this model make sahadow with your Toon Shader Desktop

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qyk5acdhoo11nj2/setsu.zip

( this model is make form Toon Shader IOS it can't make shadow aon model T-T )

http://forum.unity3d.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42092&d=1356021347

14. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    Sorry, I totally forgot to pm you.
    I have posted the complete answer here , at the proper thread :)

15. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

[video=youtube;LuW2fmz4S3Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LuW2fmz4S3Y
    Combo Crew, a featured game in Google Play makes good use of Toon Shader Mobile :) Many thanks to
    Sama.Van for letting me know.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  16. jjobby

jjobby

I would like to show our project which uses this toon shader. Our game is called Alpaca World. The player is the owner of Alpaca farm.

Game Features
    - Cute 3D toon graphic style.
    - Train various color of alpaca. The color of each alpaca affect its attribute in battle.
    - Explorable map to encounter and capture alpaca that habitat in the area.
    - Dress your alpaca with cute accessory.
    - Upgrade your farm to increase productivity and makes it lively for your alpaca.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alpaca-world-hd/id546719306?mt=8

Review from our customer

Also, I want to say thank you for developing this shader and releases it at an affordable prize. :cool:

17. imariagano

imariagano

ok thank for help

I will buy and try to use this shader

18. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

jjobby : Thanks for your kind words and congrats for the release :)
    If you have promo material, I could publish it on my Toon Shader site.

Another great game is coming that uses Toon Shader Mobile, Kavinsky.
    It will be available soon.

Many thanks to Sama.Van for the notification.

Did you create a game using Toon Shader ? Let me know and promote it.
    Kind regards,
    -Ippokratis

19. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Ippo,

What's the diff between your shader and Toony Gooch Pro? I'm having a new model built and they suggested I use that one. Course, I already own yours.

Gigi.

20. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi Gigi,
    Last time I checked it uses a different method to obtain the resulting toon shading.
    I kindly suggest trying each package and see what suits best your needs.
    Last time we communicated I have demonstrated some ways to use Toon Shader mobile to achieve decent results with your model. If you need help with the new model, let me know. I am on vacation now but I will try to answer.
    Good luck with your new project,
    Ippokratis

21. TD-Programming

TD-Programming

Hi,

Firstly please let me echo my thanks for this great shader. It's really helped me out.

I'm having some trouble getting it to work when I compile my game for Windows Store 8, as for this platform Direct 3D 11 is used, and I understand that not all shaders are compatible with this.

Are you aware of any specific causes of problems with this shader for D3D 11? If you know where it might be going wrong, I can investigate and see if I can fix it myself. Or can you confirm if you have an update planned to support D3D 11?

Alternatively, I could buy Toon Shader Desktop, can you confirm whether or not this is D3D compatible?

Thanks again,

Tim

22. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    Please send me your email, so I can send you some shaders to test.

23. AngelMixu_

AngelMixu_

Hi Ippokratis! Good work with this asset! :)
    I'm creating a 2D game with 2D Toolkit, and was looking for adding an outline to the sprite being printed on the screen and got here.
    The effect is would be like the black outline but for example... the contour of the sprite in white.
    Would Toon Shader work with 2D sprites?

24. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    I believe you would have much better results if you tried to embed the outlines in the 2d images, using an image editor.
    Kind regards,
    Ippokratis

25. terapong

terapong

Hi, my model has two parts. I want the outer part to be transparent. The problem was that when I rotated camera at some angles, the inner part wasn't rendered. You can see it in the clip. But it worked correctly when I changed the shader of outer part to transparent diffuse. Is this a bug of toon shader?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2xA3wGeH24&feature=youtu.be

I used shader "Toon Detail Outline/Perspective/Detail Tint Alpha"

26. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi terapong,
    Thanks for the detailed description,
    The shader is not designed to handle such scenarios and will not support this in the future either.
    Placing object inside transparent objects is very costly on mobile platforms and I kindly suggest to check the performance of any shader you will find - develop before you continue on this route.
    Let me know if I can help you in any other issues you have with toon shader,
    Ippokratis

27. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    I wish to announce that Toon Shader Mobile 2 is on the works.
    Same price, everybody who has purchased a copy will receive the update.
    Feel free to make suggestions.

28. Red_Ube

Red_Ube

Hi ippokratis,
    We're having a hard time using toon shader for android for a while now, everyhing looks great on pc but when we try to build it for android the model just turned pink.. Can you point us out some things that we might have missed? Unity's built in toon is working fine on our build but your shader looks way better that's why we're sticking to it... Thank you in advance, also we tweak some of the things in unity but nothing solved the problem...

29. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    There are a few released games in Android platforms that use the shader ( see above in the thread ) so besides my word for it, you have clear evidence that this shader runs fine on Android.
    Chances are that you are using it on a device that does not support opengles 2.0, thus a very old device.
    If this is not the case and you are using the latest version of the shader, please create a minimal scene that reproduces the problem and send me the dropbox link in a private pm, along with your invoice number ( proof that you purchased the shader ).
    Kind regards, Ippokratis

30. R0oK

R0oK

I just wanted to drop in and share a few screenshots of an upcoming game that I'm working on with 2 other guys. We purchased this toon shader a while back and we couldn't be happier with the results! Thanks for sharing it! :) I hope you like the look of our game, Galaxy Dash! It's a combination of runner and shooter, and we expect global launch to happen by August at the latest on Android and IOS.

$GD_01_Dodge_Asteroids.png
    $GD_02_Blast_Enemies.png
    $GD_03_Complete_Missions.png

-Kyle, SuperMoon Games.

31. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Thanks for sharing the screenshots, they look really good.
    I would really appreciate if you could share itunes - google play - youtube links when they are available.
    Kind regards,
    -Ippokratis

32. LeagueOfMonkeys

LeagueOfMonkeys

Hey Ippokratis

Is there any known issues with it running in Unity 4.5 - cause I imported and nothing worked - I also tried the sample scenes provided and the capsules are just Pink ? Was working fine in unity 3

thanks
    LOM Team

33. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    I see no problems
    Try to import again the asset, everything works fine. Screen Shot 2014-06-27 at 19.50.20.png

34. Victor-Garcia

Victor-Garcia

Hi Ippokratis,

First of all, congratulate you for the work done with the shader, it works great.

I am having an issue using the shader on iPhone4, iPhone4S and iPhone5. In those devices, the shader is darker than Android devices or iPhone5S model. Any clue why is this happening?. I attached one image of the shader working in Android 4.3 in a Samsung galaxy S4, and another image of the shader working in iPhone4S with iOS 7.0.

I am using Toon shader mobile v1.5.

Regards. Android 4.3 SG4.png iPhone4S.PNG

35. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Thanks for reporting this,
    I am working on an update, I believe it will fix this issue.

36. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

I have some new shaders that I will publish soon, as an update to the toon shader mobile.
    I think they solve the issues described above, I do not have a wide range of testing machines to test them though.
    If anyone has issues like those described by Victor, please send me a pm with your invoice number and I will send the shaders to you to try them out ahead of launch. Same applies to you Victor, please send me a pm with your invoice number and I will send you the new shaders to test them if you wish.
    Kind regards,
    -Ippokratis

37. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Coming before September - Toon Shader Mobile 2
    Thanks to mixamo for providing the mascot.
    Teaser :
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 18.01.37.png

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  38. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Price drop - new price is 15$

Upgrade is coming. Teasing starts :)

Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 17.17.45.png

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  39. ScaryRobotGames

ScaryRobotGames

Hey Ippokratis,

I'm having the same problem that League of Monkeys mentioned before. It works fine in 3.x. But in 4.5 it looks like the attached image. If just doesn't seem to assign the shading but it does apply the detail texture.

If 2.0 is nearing release then I'll just wait for the upgrade (if it resolves the issue).

Thanks,
    Dustin Adair

40. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi Dustin,
    Send me the your invoice number (pm) and your email address and I will mail you the latest stable beta.

41. ScaryRobotGames

ScaryRobotGames

PM'd you my invoice # and email. Thanks!

42. Allen_Fei

Allen_Fei

Hey Ippokratis,
    I has the same problem with Dustin.
    And I PM'd you my invoice and email.
    Thanks!

43. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hello,
    Thanks for providing the info,
    I am sending you the new builds.
    Also, I am uploading the updated shaders to asset store today and I hope it will get approved soon.

So, the new shaders :
    - come with source
    - handle better transparency
    - let you use vertex colors
    - let you choose which parts of them you need, like the new uber shader from unity 5.
    - have optional asymmetric outlines
    - can be double sided

I will try to post promo later, I find it more important to update the package ASAP.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  44. ScaryRobotGames

ScaryRobotGames

Hey Ippo,
    Wanted to say thanks for sending me the new version. I'm happy to report that it works perfectly in 4.5. And all of the new features are fantastic. Great job on the new version. Can't wait to put it to use!
    Thanks,
    Dustin

45. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi Dustin,
    I am glad you find it useful :)

If anyone else is having problems, I just uploaded the new package, it should go live within this week.
    Now I have to do he marketing - big time...

46. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Ok , it is available on the asset store.

I did not mentioned earlier :
    - The new shaders emit shadows.
    - The new shaders have 3 types of transparency available : Simple ( alpha blended ), Cutout and two passes.
    - There are ±384 of them. You do not have to choose them by their name, you just pick what components you need ( e.g you need a detail texture -add it, you need vertex colors - add it etc ) from a unified interface, pretty much like the new unified shader in unity 5.

Thanks for the warm reception on the asset store :)

47. Cynicat

Cynicat

Hello! i'm working on an asset pack and wanted to know if i can include the shader part of your free toon shader in it? its just the shaders+editor. i ask because i built the assets with the toon shader in mind and they look really nice with it =3. i will of course give credit, link to your asset store page etc... anyway great shaders!

48. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

49. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

50. Cynicat

Cynicat

wondering if you got my emails or is google broken? just asking because i've had problems with google not sending before. anyway no rush =3