Search Unity

SlimNet Public Access

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by fholm, Apr 14, 2012.

1. artax

artax

I get this message every time and i don't understand why ... how can i check to see where is the problem from? and i can't even see the players connected to the server i see in console that a player has connected but in the world he doesn't appear. I have re-downloaded the latest version of slimnet, done everything from the install instructions but it gives me the same problem.

2. Dasty

Dasty

Got this working fairly quickly, but for some reason my client is disconnecting after 10-20 seconds of being connected. I also have unusually high ping, almost 300 ping. I have the client connecting from outside my network and I have the port forwarded. Any ideas what could be causing this?

3. artax

artax

Do you get any message like Not running in realtime .... in the console ?

4. fholm

fholm

artax: I repeat, getting the message "not running in realtime" is not a problem.

5. Dasty

Dasty

Yeah, I get a few of these, like 4 or so when I first connect. But that most likely has something to do with the ping issue.

EDIT:

Just tried again, ping issue is no longer a problem, probably had something to do with my internet, I do not get the "not running in real time" thing anymore. However it still disconnects after a few seconds.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  6. artax

artax

well ... i do think this is because the not running in real time because i have the same problem and if you try to connect 3-4 clients the milliseconds in Not running in real time gets higher and higher. I think this is a problem with slimnet... a general problem.

7. fholm

fholm

Listen, I don't mean to be rude but I built the whole thing, if I'm saying that getting the "Not running in realtime" is not a problem it really isn't (unless you're getting it constantly, even when the clients/server are idle) and it's common when loading a big level or a client connects. Are you really going to argue with me about my own code? ;<

8. fholm

fholm

What exactly does it say when it disconnects? Are you sure you have set the name properly in the configuration tab? you can set it to whatever you want, but just make sure it's set to something and that the server and client configs get the same name.

9. Dasty

Dasty

It says

SlimNet.Network.LidgrenPeer Status on connection IP:pORT changed to Disconnected.

Before that, everything appears to be working just fine, I can move around and it is sending Animation Updates or something similar to that.

I named it DemoRPG, following the setup instructions. The only place I changed the name was in the Slimnet->Configuration in Unity.

10. artax

artax

Ok sorry for that. You are right. Sorry once again.

I have one question that has bugged me. How do i run SlimNet outside unity. I mean the console version. Thank you!

11. Dasty

Dasty

I wrote a batch script that runs this for me, it is very simple.

C:\fholm-SlimNet-5d11f35\Build\SlimNet.ConsoleHost.exe -p14000 -a"C:\fholm-SlimNet-5d11f35\Demo\RPG\Server"
    EXIT

Just two lines but that's all you need.

12. orrTechnologies

orrTechnologies

For debugging you can add that into the visual studio debug events. So the server is launched with the debugger attached.

13. artax

artax

Thanks guys it works perfectly.

14. orrTechnologies

orrTechnologies

fholm, What is the best way to create a server side only behavior and attach it to an actor definition? Since definitions are in the "shared" assemblies I cant make a behavior that interfaces with server side code.

Thanks.

15. Dasty

Dasty

I think I figured out my issue. I tried running it on the local host and everything worked as intended. So I think it is an issue with my router or something. I have had this problem with other networking things.

16. jake-gr

jake-gr

Thanks for putting the demo instructions in there, helped alot!
    Now to dive into the code and see if I can figure out how it all works :)

17. atrakeur

atrakeur

Really great work.

Except the scenes files don't have any gameobjects (in short it's a totaly empty scene), I've manager to get the server and the client working together (with in editor and standalone version of each) in a couple of hours.

Juste one thing: System.core wasn't set in the references, causing System.linq not to be found correctly.

Anyway, just got to try to run the server in a linux environnement.

Ho and juste one suggestion, please write a little article on how to keep starting with your system.
    Because you system of actors is a bit confusing at first time...

Maybe a simple how to make a multiplayer game (nothing fancy, just one capsule per player connected which move in a non authoritative environnement)

This way we'll be able to reverse engineer to learn how to make classic things like connection, RPC, network sync, and whatever you've managed to do ;)

Anyway, thanks so much man! You've done an awesome part of the work!

18. orrTechnologies

orrTechnologies

You might redownload, the scenes work fine on my computer. And it has movement and animation syncing, login RPC's everything you just asked for.

19. jake-gr

jake-gr

Yes id love to see something like this as well. Not specifically from fholm, but any other users out there.
    Ive been looking at the demo, but the way its setup is still confusing me :(

20. fholm

fholm

I will try to get a tutorial/manual/something up as soon as I can, but as most of you I'm expecting my first child in a few weeks so I have very little time to spend on Unity stuff currently.

I did however setup a new repository on github, called SlimNetUnityPlugin, you can find it here: https://github.com/fholm/SlimNetUnityPlugin

This repo contains a proper build of the latest stable binaries which is compatible with unity, it also contains the build of the ConsoleHost and everything else you need. The "Interesting" part is the Package directory: https://github.com/fholm/SlimNetUnityPlugin/tree/master/Package

Which contains the unity package you import into your project and the properly built ConsoleHost project.

21. jake-gr

jake-gr

@fholm:
    First off; congratulations! Second; Personally I am in no huge rush, SlimNet is a good tool, and has extreme amount of potential! I'm willing to wait and see how far it can go.

You have said before (forum and irc), that you are not fond of creating tutorials. Like atrakeur said, I think just another demo, that is extremely basic, just a couple capsules that move around on a flat plane, and possibly a chat feature should suffice. I think the confusing part about the current demo is actually the RPG Controller. And with a little bit of a shameless plug, I would be willing to make some introductory video tutorials (when I figure out all the basics).

Again, do take your time, "real life" always has priority, and congratulations on becoming a dad!

22. caspivey

caspivey

Has anyone had luck getting the MySQL database connection working, I activated the code and the connectors are all there, but the server crashes every time I start it with that code active. I have not found anything useful in the logs. If anyone has any information about this it would be a huge help for our development.

23. quincunx

quincunx

If there are any experienced users of SlimNet, could you post some tutorials or share your knowledge on how to get SlimNet working with a new project?

I'm having difficulty setting it up, but I have got it to work in the demo. I'm hoping after I can understand more of the basics, that everything will become easier :p

24. quincunx

quincunx

After mucking about for quite some time, I've got everything running smoothly.

@fholm
    In your demo, did you use an external asset to nest the Name and Viking prefabs inside the Player prefab?

I can't seem to drag or manipulate my prefabs in that manor, so I did some googling and found Nested Prefabs in the asset store.

I was wondering if you used something like this, or I just don't understand how to insert a prefab into another.

Thanks in advance. (ps, sorry the question isn't related to networking really)

25. fholm

fholm

No, I just created one asset out of all of it in the scene hierarchy and then dragged the whole lot into the project window.

26. rndbit

rndbit

so still no word on pricing?

27. fholm

fholm

It's not going to be for sale for a long time as I'm currently focusing my efforts on packages for the asset store and freelancing.

28. quincunx

quincunx

fholm

How should I go about making a server client?

I would like to have the server control all of the enemies collisions and movement for my game.

29. fholm

fholm

I'm sorry but this is not something I'm able to help with, I do not provide any support for SlimNet, sorry.

30. jake-gr

jake-gr

Ive been away for awhile now. But curious if anyone has been able to figure out how to use SlimNet correctly?
    (like what we do after its built, and the DemoRPG project is running)

With fholm being a new father, and having to focus on other projects to pay the bills, as a community we should see about pulling together and help each other out. Ive said it before, but SlimNet seems like a great tool, and has massive potential, its just up to us to discover it!

31. jake-gr

jake-gr

sry for the bump, but I was just messing around with SlimNet, and not able to get it working with a WebPlayer build. I am assuming there should be a PrefetchSocketPolicy command in there. Just not sure where that would go to allow it to work with the Unity security model.

Ok looking more it doesnt look like a prefetch will work, as it doesnt look like its hosting the crossdomain.xml file at all. so not sure where I need to place that file if im running it from localhost... without any sort of "web" hosting (just running SlimNet)

[solved] had to run sockpol.exe found in Unity\Data\Tools\SocketPolicyServer in order for it to respond to socket requests

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  32. MoCoder

MoCoder

Work great!

You are the best!

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello, I made the instructions in SLIMNET SETUP INSTRUCTIONS VERSION 0.2.1. After pressures of the Play button this error appears:

I hopeI everything what i do was correctly.
    SlimNet.dll exists in this path on the screenshot and the combined.dll doesn't exist in the path on the screenshot. I build the Project with mono develop because i have not Visual Studio. What is about Visual Studio express edition, i can build over this version too? How can I solve theproblem?

Thank you for helping...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  34. fholm

fholm

Sorry I do not provide any support on SlimNet.

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, thank you for the fast answer. I think you should provide some support on SlimNet. It is a good product and it is your product. Probably you can obtain, with a final version good incomes. In my opinion from all of the products, which you make, have this product, the most potential. But if you dont support the community, they will prefer other products. So it can be that you miss a giant project including their financier.

Isn't it like that you are the only one on this planet, which can give, support for SlimNet? Or do I understand that wrongly?

Thank you for this great product, but sometimes, if the project is new and if the project too little documented, it doesn't work without double check from creator.

36. fholm

fholm

No, I do not have to provide any support on SlimNet. It's available for the community for learning purposes only, if you read the license you will see that you're not allowed to re-distribute the source code or the compiled binaries. What this means in reality is that if you have a problem, look at the source, that's the reason i made it public. There will never be any official support on this project.

37. Dagarath

Dagarath

fholm, great work on the project...I haven't been on IRC or on the forum in forever so I haven't been able to keep up with what has been going on with it. Congrats on becoming a father, I am sure you will make a great one!

Sad to see that this hasn't progressed to the point where commercial usability is possible as the project I had been working on is at the point where I am going to require a network solution quite soon, I am sure I could tear apart slimnet and build my own solution but chances are it will end up coming down to me paying someone else to do it while I focus on artwork, voice overs, sfx and music as time management is important at this stage in my projects development.

Keep up the good work man, maybe I'll see ya on IRC sometime soon.

Also: Can SlimNet be run headless and still handle physics?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013