Unity Community

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Sweden

SlimNet Public Access

SlimNet Public Access

As stated in the old "SlimNet 0.2" thread, I have now opened up the source code of SlimNet to the public. I want to make clear that the project is not open source and under a very restrictive license which prohibits any commercial use or distribution of the source code or it's compiled binaries.

All development will now be done in the public repository which can now be found on github (link in the bottom of this post).

The code has been made available for the people that want to look at and evaluate SlimNet as a potential networking middle-ware. I do not offer support on the code base at all currently, of course if you have a question or two you can ask it in this thread and I will do my best to answer it.

The code compiles and runs on both Windows, Linux and OS X. For compilation under mono on a non-windows platform you will need to have mono 2.10.x installed and set up all the references and dependencies manually. Mono 2.10 is also required to run the server outside of Unity. Once compiled the resulting two assemblies will run inside of Unitys own version of Mono.

License

Code:  
    1. /*
    2. SlimNet - Networking Middleware For Games
    3. Copyright (C) 2011-2012 Fredrik Holmström
    5. This notice may not be removed or altered.
    7. This software is provided 'as-is', without any expressed or implied
    8. warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
    9. arising from the use of this software.
    11. Attribution
    12. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
    13. claim that you wrote the original software. For any works using this
    14. software, reasonable acknowledgment is required.
    16. Noncommercial
    17. You may not use this software for commercial purposes.
    19. Distribution
    20. You are not allowed to distribute or make publicly available the software
    21. itself or its source code in original or modified form.
    22. */

Setup Instructions

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19877504/SetupInstructions.pdf (Requires version 0.2.1.5+)

Repository Links

Stable: http://github.com/fholm/SlimNet/tree/0.2.1.5 - This is the latest stable version of SlimNet

Development: http://github.com/fholm/SlimNet - This is the absolutely latest version of SlimNet under development, the code here is not guaranteed to be stable or even work
    Last edited by fholm; 05-05-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    My Open Source Projects: UdpKit, IronJS, Free Unity Assets
    Need unity consulting? Contact me over PM or Here

2. Location
    Japan, San Francisco, London
    awesome! getting now

3. Location
    namespace slimnet cannot be found in the demo project.
    what would be the best way to setup a project using slimnet? project using the unity.server (i'm on mac).

4. Location
    Sweden
    You need to compile the SlimNet.Core and SlimNet.Unity projects and drop the DLLs in the project folder in the demo.

5. Location
    awesome; connection established!

6. Location
    Sweden
    I pushed the 0.2.1 tag to github, which you will find here: https://github.com/fholm/SlimNet/tree/0.2.1
    This is due to me starting some new development in the master branch.

7. Posts
    Do you have any estimates / information on eventual pricing on this? I'd love to use it, but without any ability to distribute and/or pricing details, I can't really plan on building projects around it at this point.

8. Location
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Do you have any estimates / information on eventual pricing on this? I'd love to use it, but without any ability to distribute and/or pricing details, I can't really plan on building projects around it at this point.
    Honestly, I can't say right now. I've been discussing many different options both here on the forums and on IRC, but I have not made a final decision as of now.

9. Location
    Quebec Canada North America

Money

Well yeah it’s not evident asking how much money for making networks games communications.

Charge for a base, I don’t know perhaps $30 $40 $50 or $100.
    After that you continue to update your software and optimize communication making a good and fast reliable server with SQL and MYSQL and so on and you charge another $30 $40 $50 or $100, every 250 thousand user you client got or much more and I think everyone will be happy.

That only a way you can do it.

10. Posts
    Been working on integrating this into my game, took a little to figure out how to resolve all the dependencies but I have it working. Any chance you could release the server side collision detection you demoed on youtube so we could see how it works?

11. Location
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by orrtechnologies View Post
    Been working on integrating this into my game, took a little to figure out how to resolve all the dependencies but I have it working. Any chance you could release the server side collision detection you demoed on youtube so we could see how it works?
    The CD stuff is already in the current code branch on github, it's under the spatial partitioning stuff. You can look in Behaviours/InterestManager.cs to see a simple example

12. Posts
    That's what I needed, simple enough. Thanks.

13. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fholm View Post
    You need to compile the SlimNet.Core and SlimNet.Unity projects and drop the DLLs in the project folder in the demo.
    I downloaded the latest version (0.2.1.0) and have MonoDevelop and SharpDevelop.

I don't see a main.cs or anything though. How should I go about compiling the projects?

14. Location
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    I downloaded the latest version (0.2.1.0) and have MonoDevelop and SharpDevelop.

I don't see a main.cs or anything though. How should I go about compiling the projects?
    You open the main solution (SlimNet/SlimNet.sln) and compile the code, then copy the generated assemblies into the unity project.

15. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fholm View Post
    You open the main solution (SlimNet/SlimNet.sln) and compile the code, then copy the generated assemblies into the unity project.
    Thanks for the quick reply. However, I do not see the solution committed in the repository.

Also, the stable link is now a 404. Maybe that is where my solution was hiding

16. Location
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. However, I do not see the solution committed in the repository.

Also, the stable link is now a 404. Maybe that is where my solution was hiding
    I have no idea what happened, checked in a new latest stable tag now (0.2.1.1) - also updated the link in my post, it should contain everything you need.
    Last edited by fholm; 04-22-2012 at 06:30 AM.

17. Posts
    i´m geting errors for compile the server :S i need more something ? i only use visual studio need download more something?

18. Location
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by lucked View Post
    i´m geting errors for compile the server :S i need more something ? i only use visual studio need download more something?
    There is a dependency missing from the Visual Studio Project the commandline.dll file cant find it in the folder and there are a duzin commandline.dll on web

19. Location
    Sweden
    Added commandline.dll to the ConsoleHost project and pushed a new tag, 0.2.1.2, here:

https://github.com/fholm/SlimNet/tree/0.2.1.2

20. Posts
    I keep having a problem that I cant figure out, this has happen twice and I cant seem to figure out whats causing. Basically the player spawns and if in unity I click display collier, the collier is halfway across from the map and not around the actor. So inherently the interest management is failing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast