Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Makei It Glow

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by renman3000, Apr 14, 2012.

1. renman3000

renman3000

Hi there i am wondering how i might achieve this....

I place a plane in front of cam, taking all of cam view. It is red, and semi transparent. Then behind it in game view are gameobjects where are ableto appear like they are glowing, a whitish red.

Is the glow shader avaiable in pro tne only real option?

2. Spellbound

Spellbound

Hm, putting a transparent plane in front of everything sounds like you'll increase brightness of the whole screen or are you using some kind of mask trick? Depending on the target platform putting fullscreen transparent objects on top effects performance negatively.

If you just want the objects to be brighter you could write a shader that applies a factor to the shading/color/texture or makes it emissive.

If you need that typical glow fringe around the the object, post glow effects are the only way I can think of that work really good. The BloomAndLensflare shader that comes with Unity Pro works nicely. We have been using it quite extensively in our latest project.

3. renman3000

renman3000

The idea is to create a infrared mask type thing, light night goggles but only sensitive to one color. Not like Splinter Cell basically, tho sc does have white glow goggle, electrical i believe.

Anyhow, the basic idea is, flip that on, screen in front of cam, and the effect would be, certain objects begin to " glow ". Remove the screen, change the camera (same view) effect disapears. It is like you are popping on some goggles.

4. Spellbound

Spellbound

Ah ok. Using a plane to filter a specific color and get that typical night-vision effect makes sense.

Using render textures you could also replace all assigned materials by a custom one that applies the red rendering effect. You could then add other fancy shading stuff to enhance the effect quite a bit. Using normals you could i.e. apply that typical xray effect to brighten parts of the geometry based on cam/normal angle. But AFAIK render textures are again Unity Pro only.

5. renman3000

renman3000

Great,
    so basically, the best way to do this would be via Unity Pro.
    Thanks.