Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

KokohGear: Meal - (WIP)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by snowconesolid, Apr 13, 2012.

1. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Update : 6/ 27/12 KokohGear : Meal project is finished and released

Quoting myself from my last post in this thread:

Hey everyone this is the last post for my game project. Just came to say that the full final version of my game is now out and can be played for free over here:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Snowconesolid/kokohgear-meal

Although I have done some other tiny projects in unity, this game project is my first true full game project. The ones in the past are more test/ training with unity projects. Of course this one was also a training with unity project for me as well.
    I have learned a lot more about unity in the time I created this game and hope to expand my knowledge even more in the future.

Anyway I hope you enjoy my game. :)

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello Unity Community! I am working on a new game project. It is called "KokohGear: Meal". It is a game about a bear who goes on a journey to find food. (I will make the story more detailed later).

here is a screen of the protagonist for my new game :

(This is the bear model I named "Khanda" in my first game project, I have given him a new texture design and updated his animations to fit the gameplay with my new game)

After the new design, I have decided to refer to him as the "Bowling pin Khanda bear" because he looks somewhat like a bowling pin.
    Looky!

if your wondering how the bear looked before, it looked like this

as you can see, I am not very good with texturing, so I usually just use solid colors in my models, but it gives them a nice toon look.

Prototype:
    Also I have created a prototype of the game at its most simplest gameplay. You can play it here:

EDIT: Fixed link:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50235309/MealTimePrototype/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

just move around with wasd or arrow keys and press space to chop trees.
    I am working on making the gameplay a lot better than what I currently have in the prototype.

Other info :
    Storyline (So far) : You play as a "Khanda" bear that resembles a bowling pin who goes on a journey to find food.
    (This game is kind of a spin of my first game project) I will hopefully add much more to the story.

genre : So far its looking like it is going to be an action Adventure game. Not sure if it will change later on.

Who is working on this game: Just me, your friendly neighborhood snowconesolid. :)

I will upload a video of my current progress later on. Thanks for stopping by.

Also: if your interested, you can check out my first game project here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50235309/KokohTrails EpisodeOne/WebPlayer.html

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

UPDATE:
    Hi everyone, its been a while since I worked on my game but recently I have created another prototype to test out gameplay and player animations. The idea of the gameplay is simple, chop down anything in your way. :)

here is video!

At this point I pretty much figured out what I want to accomplish with this game. Soon I plan on starting to create the levels and putting the game together. More updates soon.

:cool:

3. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Its been a while. I worked out some of the scenery for my game. These models are going to be interactive objects and not just for design.

I have decided to make my game a very Fall like setting, with nice golden brown Autumn trees and piles of leaves everywhere. I choose this theme because the story is about finding food before winter comes, and the game starts off as winter slowly approaches.

Fall Trees:

Fall Leaves:

The renders don't look to good, but I put together another prototype to test them out and imo I think they look great. (of course I am biased torwards my own work however :)
    Soon I might upload a video of the newest prototype. I think next I will finally start level design.

4. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hi everyone. Development has been a bit slow for me lately. I just thought I would share a look at my third and final prototype of my game.

here it is:

Just thought I would test out my less primitive trees and scenery for my game. I am taking my time with this project and don't want to rush to many things. Last time I thought I should start putting together my levels but it turns out I still have a lot of things to do before I start putting the game together. But this video will be my last prototype of the game. And I plan on making my game more than just a game of chopping trees and running through piles of leaves. :)

anyway just some small updates.

+ I have prepared some sound effects for the game as well as created the music.
    + made simple enemies for the game and some more props.

Simple enemy(really simple)

Fun cubes (probably the most used shape in gaming history is the cube, so of course its necessary to include cubes in my game :)

Things still need to do:

- work on more props
    - add more animations
    -set up audio
    - Im planning on creating boss battles to

5. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Spent a good amount of time putting gameplay together today. Once I finish creating all the gameplay and things that are more important than design like bugs, messed up colliders, etc I will start putting the levels together.

Today:

+fixed the simple enemy collision problem
    +Added lots of gameplay improvements to my main script (I would say gameplay is about 90% complete)
    +Added a health system
    +Added a powerups system

Also I created a couple more props and animations to use

Metal rusty animated bars:

A nice Green button that can be pressed:

Khanda's house (The main character):

wanted the game to be simple at first and it was, looking back at my original prototype, I must say it has evolved so much and became much more complex :)

my latest video I put up of my final prototype really shows nothing at all in terms of all the gameplay elements I added. All it shows is the ability to chop trees and run through piles of leaves. haha.

6. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey everyone. Just added a couple more updates to my game project.

new Updates:
    +Added GUI system for gathering powerup Points
    +Finished the Main Menu
    +Created more 3d props for use

Things still needed to be done:
    -Create other menus(Level selector menu, how to play menu, etc)
    - create opening to game(just a short cutscene that says what is going on, objective of game, etc)
    - Still need to create Boss battle(This can come last, not necessary at the moment)
    - Add a couple more things to main script like(spawn points, switching playable character objects)
    - create Demo level

Here is some nice floating land I created for my game:

Also, I finished drawing concept art for a vehicle I am planning on including in my game, I will begin modeling it soon!

7. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Just finished creating the main menu for my game and the Vehicle model.

finished model:

After texturing:

and here is a preview of the main menu plus some footage of my Vehicle in action!

I will put together a playable tutorial level soon that explains the game more.
    The most important part of my game( the actual gameplay ) is pretty much finished at this point.

8. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey everyone, just a quick small update.

+Added Teleportation boxes, takes player from point A to B.
    if player goes into the teleportation box a they will appear at B. (usually this kind of gameplay is common in games)
    for example it is used often in Super Mario 3d land. but still fun to play around with.

Currently I am building the tutorial level for my game which introduces the player to the gameplay. I will have this up as a playable demo really soon. Either at the end of today or tomorrow depending how things work out. Im running into a couple small bugs at the moment

I might even put up a new video soon to.

More soon! (real soon) :)

9. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hi everyone, I promised a demo yesterday and finally its here, the very first Demo for "Kokoh Gear Meal"!

Try it out here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50235309/GearMealDemo/WebPlayer.html

This is actually the Tutorial level from my game that teaches players about the gameplay.
    I would appreciate any feed back, also if anyone finds any bugs or errors with the build please let me know.

Hopefully I will have the full game soon :)

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  10. Lex_

Lex_

Please tighten the controls.

I really like the art style and the music. And I like the way you presented the text, but sometimes I had to crane my neck a bit to catch em, and sometimes, since the controls are so loose, it takes a while before I can get em into focus.

Otherwise, really neat. :D
    I've actually been following this thread for quite some time, since Khanda looked really cool the first time I saw him..

11. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thanks Lex_ :)
    I was also having a hard time trying to find good places to place the text around. But this was just a tutorial level, so I needed to find a way to explain the gameplay. In the real levels, I probably won't use any text in game.

12. nickavv

nickavv

I agree with everything Lex said, and it was a fun demo! The particles when I killed an enemy and when I finished the level looked like they were missing their transparency, they were solid squares. Keep it up!

13. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thanks nick, I noticed that earlier but forgot to fix it. Anyway the transparency issue is fixed now. Except for the enemy particles, those are suppose to be red squares. I might change them later on though.

anyway took a short break but I have new updates!

+(The big update) The very first real level is complete! (imo it came out much better than the boring tutorial level I put out as a demo)
    + Controls should work more smoothly now
    +updated menus and made them more functional
    + Created the game over menu

Game over menu screen shot

These last couple weeks have been going very smoothly in terms of development. (maybe its because im on summer break and have a lot more time to work?)

Im amazed at how fast everything is going. I think I should finally have this game fully completed at the end of this month (if I keep up the work pace im currently in of course)

I didn't really like the demo I posted, so in the future I might post a demo that has a real level once I get more levels created.

Also, I finally have an idea for the boss battle but thats for a future post.

14. chrisall76

chrisall76

Seems like a game that could become my favorite to pass time.

15. Irinir

Irinir

looks fun, and it's good to see the progress. =)

16. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

^^^thanks guys. I hope my game wont disappoint. lol.

It has been a week since my last update but I have been working on the game :)

I am happy to say that the game is now half way finished. Only a couple more levels to create.

There has been some new things in terms of gameplay added. They are real simple but make the game funner.

now in levels, there is objects such as breakable platforms that shatter to pieces when stepped on and spikes that can cause game overs (these kinds of things are usually seen in most platforming games)

by the way, it looks like my game is turning into a platformer, a platforming game without jumping. So hopefully that wont turn down to many people from playing my game :) hopefully it will make the game more challenging for platforming fans.

breakable platforms:

spikes:

Also, I have put together one of the vehicle levels and I really liked how it came out so I am planning on putting more level(s) with a air type vehicle around the end of the game.

I made a quick sketch for concept art and will model it soon

Meal Balloon:

it will have a cannon built onto the bottom that allows to fire at whatever is directly underneath you!

there is still a good amount of time left in the month, so I am going to try and stick with my original plan and have the full game finished before the end of this month.

Also I will have a demo from one of the in game levels up either my next update or the one after that.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  17. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Last update I said I will have demo two up, so here it is.

I didn't like the first demo I released because it was a boring tutorial level with not much going on.

This demo features one of the actual levels from the game.
    This is one of the early levels and its pretty short and easy compared to the other levels I have created.

Anyway hope you enjoy it :)
    any feedback, to bug reports would be much appreciated. I actually found a couple of glitches in this level when I was setting it up for a demo build but I fixed those, but anymore are found please let me know.

NOTE: After reaching the end of the level, the level will just restart itself

DEMO 2 (Kongregate link):
    http://www.kongregate.com/games/Snowconesolid/kokohgear-meal-demo-2

DEMO 2 (Dropbox link):
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50235309/GearMealDemo2/WebPlayer.html

Current progress:
    The game is about 75% finished by now I would say so. There are only two more levels to create and then other things like the loadlevel menu and then just adding some finishing touches.
    I might even finish it much earlier than before the end of this month.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  18. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

first of all i really like the game and the progress that you've done :) congrats, there are a few things i noticed. The assests could look better but thats not a problem, you can see where the uv relapse since there is some white lines

19. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

^^^ thank you MellowNinja :)

They are not the greatest looking assets, when I started this project I was not very good at texturing but I think I am getting better now.

speaking of new assets, I finally got around to modeling that hot air balloon thing I drew concept art for last time,

this

I changed the overall design of it in the final model.

anyway for those of you that like looking at UV maps like me, here is my somewhat organized but messy UV for the balloon. My texturing is still not that good but better than what I use to do haha.

UV:

Meal Balloon detached cannon:

Meal Balloon attached canon:

next Im going to set it up with unity so I can prepare it for gameplay use.
    Ill put up a video of the Meal balloon in action soon.

20. Goolygot

Goolygot

That "uw" picture is not that, but it is just a picture of your texture. A UW picture shows where every polygon is on the models uw, can include the texture too.

The mesh look good, but the model, from my point of view, lacks overall shading of it.

21. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I almost forgot to model the most important thing for the Meal-Balloon, the bombs it shoots out of its cannon.

I refer to it as the meal bomb:

Also, just finished setting up the meal-balloon and all of its scripts so its fully ready to cause mass destruction in my game.

for some reason I had a little trouble setting it up because blender messed up the export for some reason, then I had to learn about some new scripting features like move (I always would use simple move, but needed something that is not effected by gravity) to get it to work the way I wanted. Also, its really the first time I use physics in a more understandable way (for some reason I use to avoid using physics until I learned how fun rigidbodies can be :)

This is the first time I ever make "flying in the sky" like gameplay but I learned a lot from it and I believe it sets up a new fun gameplay style for the ending of my game.

anyway. very soon I will put up a video showing my meal-Balloon in action.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  22. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Just finished putting together a video testing out my meal balloon in action! Now its prepared and ready to put into my next level.

Looky!

btw, what do you guys think of the speed of the hot air balloon? I really wanted to create hot air balloon gameplay so its suppose to hover around slowly not move like a jet, but do you guys think this kind of gameplay is too slow?
    still debating if I should keep it like this or not, when I tried it the first couple times I really liked the way it felt, but then I thought maybe I should speed things up a bit?

anyway current progress and work:

+besides the hot air balloon, I have already begun working on the final boss and decided how the battle will go down as well as the boss battle area/enviorment.

More soon!

23. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

first of all you can't please everybody :D the game play looks great also i think the hot air balloon looks great and the speed is alright, maybe you drift a little after pressing a button since its light. The game isn't slow at all :)

24. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

You are right MellowNinja, thank you once again. :) Anyway I decided to keep the hot-air balloon as is. I like your idea of adding an extra button to give a little boost but decided not to do that because throughout the entire game the only buttons used are wasd or arrow keys and space key, so I wanted to keep it like that from beginning to end.

Teaser Trailer!:

I know what your thinking.
    "worst teaser trailer ever" "what did I just watch?"
    heh heh.

Anyway, the final 10 days have arrived for this month and I still have a good amount of work to do before the game is finished. I really want to stick to my original goal and finish it off this month so I shall keep going.

Newest progress:

+Final Boss has been created!
    +All (Adventure) levels completed

so now what I am focusing on
    - Make the final level (which is the boss battle level)

at the momment thats the most important thing I need to do then after that I need to work on smaller things like
    -add a couple more animations to the levels
    -create the ending for the game
    -create the loadlevel menu
    ( :( as I list these I am starting to realize that this is a lot of work for ten days. Oh no.)

Anyway, I was debating if I show the final boss on here or not because I really wanted it to be kind of a surprise for the last part of my game but I already uploaded the images to my DA so ill post them here anyway.

SPOILER WARNING: (haha I dont know why but I feel so cool posting this)
    Final boss

Front view:

some angle view:

Description:

Ocean Nany, also known as the "Ocean Grandma" and "Ocean Creep". An enormous monster that lives deep under the waters of the sky ocean. Besides having large spikes growing from its neck, this monster also has many arms and humanistic hands. It consumes whatever enters the ocean. Its rumored that this creature has been living in the sky ocean for thousands of years and grows bigger each year. Eventually it will consume the ocean...

25. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Finally I have completed putting together the boss battle level for my game. Took me two days to put together. I ran into a whole bunch of problems with it. I would fix something and then I would discover a bunch of other problems with it. But Finally I have got it working the way I want to.

I was planning on putting a video up of the boss battle in action but didnt really want to spoil it. So instead I will just post a screen shot of it without giving to much away.

Final boss battle screen:

Something I have recently added to the boss fight is a health bar for him(actually her since its a grandma monster) (as you can see in the picture) it will decrease once the boss takes damage and tells the player when they are about to finish it off.

The picture shows how the gameplay will be like, the player rides in the meal-balloon and drops bombs on the boss.
    On the other hand, the boss spits this purple dark stuff at your balloon to give you a game over.

Anyway, now with the boss battle level finally completed, this means that all my levels are finished for my game now which brings me real close to the end of development.

There is a total of ten levels in the entire game, the boss battle being level 10 of course.

So with that out of the way, now I can focus on smaller things.

whats left to do:

-I just need to create the load level menu(it will be real simple, just choose a level and load it)
    -I want to make an ending scene for my game so there is something after the boss battle
    -go back into other levels and polish them up, maybe add some more animations

-put it all together and release the beast! :)

26. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Just finished putting the game together and creating the loadlevel menu recently. My game project is now 100% complete! :)

anyway

This video demonstrates my load level menu for my game. Its real simple and I think I will just leave it like that.

The load level menu will play an important part for my game, since there is no saving (saving is not necessary) players will have the ability to quickly load whichever level they were last on. So all the levels will be unlocked from the start of the game.

Some levels are really challenging to, so whenever a player gets a game over, the load level menu will allow you to go back to the level you lost at without starting over, also you can just use the load level menu to skip around levels.

watch(its nothing special)

Now, before releasing, there is still one more thing I should do.
    I have just finished compiling a PC version (the release will be a webplayer version). So I am going to spend some time playing through my game and checking for any bugs to make sure its fully ready.

Also I am putting a full trailer together to show more of my game. Because really throughout my whole dev thread I did not show a lot of the work I did so this trailer will make up for that.

The game will be out before this month is over(I know I said that a lot already)
    :)

27. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I just finished working on a trailer for my game. And uploaded it. This is a full length trailer.

I realized that throughout my entire thread I really did not show much of my game at all. The only levels I showed throughout the entire dev thread is the second level and the tutorial level.

in this trailer I put together, it shows a lot more of my game and almost all the levels. So here it is

I will release the full game for free as my first kongregate game. It will be out 6/27/12

any feedback on the trailer/game will be much appreciated

28. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Today I compiled a webplayer version of my game and noticed that for some reason a lot of the textures in my game have decreased in resolution, its not that much of a difference though, on some objects the texture is a bit more fuzzier. This is not the first time this has happened. Does anyone know why this happens in webplayer builds?

On a more positive side of things, I also noticed that the webplayer version of my game, plays much more smoothly and feels better compared to my PC build.
    very interesting.

I have made a couple of fixes to some bugs I have found so far. But now everything is looking pretty good.

Anyway, the full game will be released in two days :) If you havent checked out my release trailer for my game see it here on my youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uypc5-grXQ&feature=plcp
    or in my previous update

29. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey everyone this is the last post for my game project. Just came to say that the full final version of my game is now out and can be played for free over here:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Snowconesolid/kokohgear-meal

Although I have done some other tiny projects in unity, this game project is my first true full game project. The ones in the past are more test/ training with unity projects. Of course this one was also a training with unity project for me as well.
    I have learned a lot more about unity in the time I created this game and hope to expand my knowledge even more in the future.

Anyway I hope you enjoy my game. :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012