Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Useful litte mobile "tricks"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zeemotap, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Zeemotap

Zeemotap

NOTE: If you are looking for specific projects that are works-in-progress, you can find them here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/34-Works-In-Progress
    --
    continue...
    ==
    Properly animate a character when it is facing the other way in 2d game:
    In blender you can "solidify" a textured 2d plane and it will be double sided, making the back side reversed.

So if i fully animated a character with multiple parts and flipped the parent he'd be facing the other way and still properly be animated!!!
    Source: SomeDays
    ==
    Re: Battleheart: "Is that 2d sprites or 3d that looks 2d?"
    Unity doesn't really have support for "sprites" in the traditional sense. It's 2d drawings, ripped into pieces and mapped onto 3d, bone-driven polygonal models. It's all simple skinned meshes constructed and animated in maya. They just look 2d, but aren't really.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by krys64
    Ok, you have an animated character with meshes and when you change pose, you say than you change texture. Do you change texture on the same meshes or do you swap with an other prefab (construct with new meshes) for other poses ?
    thx for answers
    We change textures on the same mesh, although you could do an entire model swap if you wanted (we do this only for when enemies are killed). When we built the main character, I laid out the texture's UV in such a way that each body part had a fair amount of empty space to work with - so the "leg" polygon was big enough to accomodate a bent leg, an extended leg, etc.

We then set up a link in our 3D app between the X-scale of an empty node, and the current texture being displayed (you can do this with set-driven-keys in maya). So if the X-scale of this node was 1, we'd see texture 1, 2 would display texture 2, etc. This allowed us to animate our texture swaps within maya, rather than having to hard-code each transition, or use hundreds of animation events.

Once the relationship was set up in maya, it was simply a matter of setting up a similar relationship within unity (if transform.scale.x == 1....), placed in a LateUpdate function so it would be applied after any animation, but before the frame is rendered.

For deaths we chose to do a full model swap because the character is suddenly made up of more pieces than they started with, so it was just easier to make that a different model instead of trying to stuff all of those individual pieces into the same textures they use when they're alive.
    -
    Source: MikaMobile
    ==
    Re: Battleheart: "How did you do the line action move"
    No line renderer involved, it's achieved the same way as everything else - textured planes and bones.
    ==
    Re: Workflow/Tools WIP
    I haven't got any idea of proper "workflow" yet, but I do know that at the very least I'm using Maya, Photoshop, Unity, and Evernote, and know that in terms of scripting, learning javascript would be helpful.
    ==
    Re: Cameras in OMGPirates
    Orthographic cameras were not used, but rather a perspective camera positioned very very far away with a narrow FOV. This gives a nearly orthographic look, but with a subtle parallax effect on foreground/background elements that we get "for free" simply by positioning things on different depths within unity. Its pretty much a more elaborate version of how we achieved the style in Zombieville.
    =====
    I'm just starting out learning to create games specifically for mobile with unity, and I'm sure there are plenty others out there in the same boat as me, in regards to knowing how to "do stuff".

In order to pay it forward before I'm even 0.1% of the way there, you can benefit from my experiences as I chronicle my journey from unityNoob to unityPro, solo.

This thread will not only feature as my personal journal, but this first post will always be kept updated with an ever expanding list of small tips and tricks I've found in my own quest. Any journal entries will always be in a new post.

Everything is open to interpretation....still doesn't mean your interpretation is the best, nor does it matter, as long as it works. So, if you know something that works, do post it up in here and contribute to helping the next little upstart startup wannabe coming up/along/diagonally. I'll keep this updated with it and credit you as the source.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. Zeemotap

Zeemotap

space reserved

=====
    Everything is open to interpretation....still doesn't mean your interpretation is the best, nor does it matter, as long as it works. So, if you know something that works, do post it up in here and contribute to helping the next little upstart startup wannabe coming up/along/diagonally. I'll keep this updated with it and credit you as the source.

3. Zeemotap

Zeemotap

space reserved

=====

4. Zeemotap

Zeemotap

space reserved

=====

5. Zeemotap

Zeemotap

6. diablo

diablo

Nice, but I don't think this belongs here; instead, one of the moderators should probably move this to Work In Progress.

7. Zeemotap

Zeemotap

Thank you Diablo, I think people coming here for mobile "support" would find it helpful.

Maybe if you come here looking for that you'd find it helpful that there are tips and tricks here that I've found or you've found along the way, along with an as-it-happens account of somebodies journey to get good at this.

I will however update the first post to point people looking for examples of specific work-in-progress projects to the right forum section. Would that be ok?