Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Location
    Auckland, New Zealand

Accessing a unity web player from an IPad or Android tablet

Do the iPad and Android tablet web browsers support the Unity web player?

For instance if I have a client that wants their users to access a game on their tablets, and for ease of deployment purposes do it via a URL they connect to and a web player, would this be fully supported on both device types?

Or is building the native apps a better way to go for any reason?

Thanks

2. Location
    Melbourne
    Native apps are the way to go.

3. Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroz View Post
    Native apps are the way to go.
    Care to explain?

4. Location
    UK
    The Webplayer is PC/Mac only, and I think Flash is PC/Mac only as well.

Native apps have far better performance and end user experience.

Not sure how you would take a web link directly to an app though?
    Last edited by Arowx; 04-13-2012 at 01:31 AM.

5. Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by Arowx View Post
    The Webplayer is PC/Mac only, and I think Flash is PC/Mac only as well.

Native apps have far better performance and end user experience.

Not sure how you would take a web link directly to an app though?
    Ok great thanks.
    This is for internal deployments in a company, not linked to the market/app stores.
    But that's enough info for me to know native is definately the way to go.

6. Location
    Virginia, USA
    Can you explain how Native apps works with Unity? I don't know anything about that.
    Gigi.
    What Went Well - a Meditation on Gratitude and Happiness
    Good Sex, Great Marriage - Still The #1 Marriage App on iOS *** Also on Android!
    The Gratitude Habit - 1000 5-star reviews

The Secret of Success? Try; Improve; Repeat- 'till too good to ignore.

7. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
    Ok great thanks.
    This is for internal deployments in a company, not linked to the market/app stores.
    Native is not just the best way, it is the only way to go.

Since Unity charges for the Android and iOS export, I doubt they have any desire to develop a WebPlayer plugin for the platforms.

Even if they did, the web player builds don't handle touch input, so that would require a unique WebPlayer build for mobile browsers. That's not to mention the code generated for web builds is optimized for desktop video cards, not mobile ARM chips.

Even they did go through all the work needed to make this work, iOS web browser does not allow plugins, so they would be restricted to Android devices and that platform already allows for users to install web downloaded apps anyways so there is no real benefit.
    Starsman Games
    Follow Starsman Games on Twitter, Facebook or Google+

8. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsman Games View Post
    Native is not just the best way, it is the only way to go.

Since Unity charges for the Android and iOS export, I doubt they have any desire to develop a WebPlayer plugin for the platforms.

Even if they did, the web player builds don't handle touch input, so that would require a unique WebPlayer build for mobile browsers. That's not to mention the code generated for web builds is optimized for desktop video cards, not mobile ARM chips.

Even they did go through all the work needed to make this work, iOS web browser does not allow plugins, so they would be restricted to Android devices and that platform already allows for users to install web downloaded apps anyways so there is no real benefit.
    Hello Starman,

Can unity3d web support safari in IOS right now?

9. Posts
    No, this would be dependent on Unity developing a version of the webplayer for mobile browsers , which would interfere with their own profits since then you wouldn't need to buy IOS or Android addones
    http://beatquestgame.com

Everyone makes a classic platformer , here's mine

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QnJvc0xpdGUiXQ..

10. Posts
    hello keithsoulasa ,

Thanks for your update.
    We just publish native application on the IOS or Android by using IOS or Android addones, this means that the user has to download the game client firstly then they can play game. Right?

11. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterjs View Post
    hello keithsoulasa ,

Thanks for your update.
    We just publish native application on the IOS or Android by using IOS or Android addones, this means that the user has to download the game client firstly then they can play game. Right?
    They have to download the game though the proper channels ,
    For Iphone this means the Apple App Store ,
    for Android this is the google play store, you can just send APKS to people but this isn't how you'd distribute a game to normal people
    http://beatquestgame.com

Everyone makes a classic platformer , here's mine

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QnJvc0xpdGUiXQ..

12. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithsoulasa View Post
    They have to download the game though the proper channels ,
    For Iphone this means the Apple App Store ,
    for Android this is the google play store, you can just send APKS to people but this isn't how you'd distribute a game to normal people
    Thank you.

13. Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keithsoulasa View Post
    No, this would be dependent on Unity developing a version of the webplayer for mobile browsers , which would interfere with their own profits since then you wouldn't need to buy IOS or Android addones
    It's impossible to use a Unity webplayer on iOS, period. Nothing to do with profits.

--Eric
    SpriteTile: new tile system that works seamlessly with Unity 4.3 sprites
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes

14. Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterjs View Post
    Hello Starman,

Can unity3d web support safari in IOS right now?
    No, Apple's Safari on iOS is locked down and cannot be extended or given new features in any way.

Want an easy way to boot Linux from a USB drives on Mac? Like, you don't need to install or change a thing easy? I thought so. Try Mac Linux USB Loader!
    (And the forum thread)

US President Obama wants to hand over the Internet to a multinational body. Sign the petition to keep the web free!

15. Location
    The House of The Mouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
    Ok great thanks.
    Ah.. So you want be able to easily test on multiple internal devices without having to build to each one, correct?
    If so check out https://testflightapp.com/

16. Posts
    I think you can acess Unity Web Player from android phones. You just need Ubuntu and Whine. Take a look http://askubuntu.com/questions/60331...3-d-web-player

17. Location
    France
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
    It's impossible to use a Unity webplayer on iOS, period. Nothing to do with profits.

--Eric
    Mostly for licensing i assume? While you couldn't stuff it in safari you could technically run it as a standalone player app (the same as webplayer, but not hosted inside a browser) however i assume that's a no no like flash was from apple's point of view?
    CEO - RT Information Technology
    ronan.thibaudau@rt-informationtechnology.com
    HighRes Terrain Pack 1 Mountains
    HighRes Packs best used with Amplify, get it and enjoy 16K textures!

18. Location
    Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by ronan.thibaudau View Post
    Mostly for licensing i assume? While you couldn't stuff it in safari you could technically run it as a standalone player app (the same as webplayer, but not hosted inside a browser) however i assume that's a no no like flash was from apple's point of view?
    No. Rules by apple... Apple doesn't allow you to extend Safari in any way, and as Unity Web Player requires a plugin, it is impossible. Would probably be possible to make it for jailbroken phones, but that would still mean that UT would have to completely rewrite the web player platform, which they are definitely not going to do for such a stupid reason.

19. Location
    France
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelajesh View Post
    No. Rules by apple... Apple doesn't allow you to extend Safari in any way, and as Unity Web Player requires a plugin, it is impossible. Would probably be possible to make it for jailbroken phones, but that would still mean that UT would have to completely rewrite the web player platform, which they are definitely not going to do for such a stupid reason.
    Re read, i was talking about out of safari webplayer (standalone app), and already mentioned the only reason is the applie licensing, we're saying the same thing lol.
    CEO - RT Information Technology
    ronan.thibaudau@rt-informationtechnology.com
    HighRes Terrain Pack 1 Mountains
    HighRes Packs best used with Amplify, get it and enjoy 16K textures!

20. Location
    Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by ronan.thibaudau View Post
    No. You forget that iOS requires AOT, has a lot more different hardware, controls etc. etc. It would be nearly insane or pretty much impossible project to make existing webplayer games to work there and having something between native and web is dead weight and waste of development resources. Even with Android and less restrictions you end up in a no go situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast