Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Tile Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ecco, Apr 12, 2012.

1. UberMunkinut

UberMunkinut

The package looks great but I can't figure out if there is any data generated for the tiles.
    I'm looking to put info into an array as each tile is put down. Thus using a tile coordinate lookup, I can signal the audio or animation system as to the type of terrain currently being traversed. (For footsteps, swimming/walking, etc)
    This can of course be done with another painting pass but tile info would be much more useful and better for updates/keeping in sync IMO.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. Ecco

Ecco

No problem the tile data can both be read and set very easily in code.

3. neapolitanstudios

neapolitanstudios

Hi, I just bought the toolkit, and it looks like it will suit my game perfectly. One issue though, I was hoping to use a self illum shader on the terrain, to easily adjust day/night within the game. Is this possible with your current shader configuration?

Cheers.

4. needyme

needyme

Just bought and would appreciate tutorials or at least documentation on setting and getting tile data. For instance, how would I get the tile corner (x,y) and the layer index from a raycast to the terrain?

5. Jinxatron

Jinxatron

Greetings, I have been using your plugin for a project and it works nicely. however, i am a bit curious about the progression. will there be further updates? And would there be a possibility to alter the tile size either on separate textures or on the whole grid?

the reason I´m asking is because of mountains, with the current implementation of the tile set the tiles is too small for a good balance in between close up details and seeing it on a distance.

Best regards

Jinx

6. Ecco

Ecco

Hey guys I'm a bit swamped atm but will get back to your questions asap

7. rob4097

rob4097

Hey all,

I bought this the other day, it's a great looking tool, and very easy to use. For those who are looking for a way to manage creating your own tiles, here's a nifty tool I stumbled across:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/wc3-tile-maker-d-o-g-v1-2-1-a-201836/

Using the Warcraft 3 Standard was a great idea - it automatically means most resources and tutorials for WC3 tiling can be applied here. A solid purchase for $50 in my opinion.

8. Alex1-1

Alex1-1

Hello, I just purchased this app, and I am very happy with it. I am making my own tiles, and I have just one suggestion.

Most tile editors allow you to choose from the tileset which tile, or tiles you'd like to place. The random tile placement is a nice feature, but without the option and control of choosing individual tiles to place, it seems unfinished. Will this option be available in the near future?

Thanks,
    -Alex

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  9. trianglestudiosnl

trianglestudiosnl

Hey Guys -- sorry for not replying to your messages, but we have an update for the Terrain Tile Editor planned in the next couple of weeks (as well as an update to Unity 4). We would love to hear your feedback on all aspects. At the very least we will be adding more example tilesets for you to use :)

10. YoShellShell

YoShellShell

Hello All!
    I personally love the editor and am eagerly awaiting the new release!
    However there is one issue i am curious about:

It works awesomely, except if i build the game and move it to a computer which has no opened the unity project before (so if i distribute it) the textures seem to become massively disjointed, all positions, texture coordinates go completely off - the textures look as if the terrain editor is trying to interpret them as standard images almost.

If i distribute my game elsewhere for testing, the terrain becomes heavily artifacted.
    $Untitled-1.png

Is there something i am missing? I use 4.0.1 Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.
    -Michelle

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  11. tripknotix

tripknotix

if you could make this happen, without foliage, trees and bill boarding. it would be the perfect tool for mobile development, where those types of things are already very lightly used. I would poor my money into mobile development tools if i could, and wouldnt be able to use a tool that isnt mobile compatible.

let us know if you decide to take that route, even as another asset.

12. Spritekin

Spritekin

Hi,

Your solution looks quite good. However I would like to ask a couple things.

First, I was wondering one thing. Some time ago while studying the way Warcraft3 handles the terrain, I noticed that the transition tiles may also be rotated. For example the vertical transition could indeed be used for any horizontal and vertical transition allowing for greater variation. I don't know if I explain myself. The same mud-grass transition tile (M|G) could be rotated and used for a grass-mud transition (G|M). And even used for a vertical (M/G) or a (G/M). I did so in my own game engine managing more variation in the terrain at a very low cost. Maps looked way better. I was wondering if you could think about this feature.

Second, terrains in Warcraft have fixed heights (can't remember if just one). However it is possible to sharply push the terrain up making a break in the terrain. Like this. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...3-editing-cliff-skins-clifftut1difference.jpg

Now this is because the terrain is handled in a different way but terrains done this way look neater. Again, this is not a deal breaker for me but just wondering if you had plans for this.

Anyway, thank you for the tool. Haven't got it yet but will as soon as I finish drawing my tile set.

Luck!

13. Ecco

Ecco

This looks like the terrain settings are off, could you have a look the terrain settings and compare those with the documentation?

Thanks for letting me know. It's quite a bit of work and I'd have to be pretty sure enough people want it to justify making it.

That's pretty interesting. I was thinking about supporting tilesets with more variations per tile type but this way you can already make it look a lot nicer. Does it only work for horizontal/vertical transitions? It sounds like you have to add a lot more restrictions to the tile sets to make it work.

I'd have to have a look at a way to implement the 'cliff' tilesets into unity terrains. This would be a lot easier to do if I'd create the terrain mesh myself though. Thanks for your input :)

14. FoxPT

FoxPT

Hi, congratulations for this tool, it is really awesome! I just wanted to ask for help on a particular problem.

Too long / didn't read: how can I, using a script, call the same method that is called to refresh the renderer when the object with the TS Tile Set script is selected?

I created my terrain, created a tile set, which instantiated the object named "Terrain Tile Data", and then I painted the terrain with your tiles. Then, I tried to see what would happen if I created another tile set for the same terrain. What happened was that the terrain would get either all green or all white, depending on which tile set I was selecting in the hierarchy pane.

After that, I deleted the second tile set and selected the first one again. This is how the terrain was rendered:

$tile1.png

However, after I pressed "Recalculate Splat map" button, this is what happened:

$tile2.png

Finally, in order to get to the correct terrain render, all it took was to select another game object in the hierarchy pane after the recalculation, then select again the "Terrain Tile Data" object. It automatically refreshed and the result can be seen bellow:

$tile3.png

What I wanted to ask is if is there any way of calling the method that is used to refresh the render when the tile set is selected in the hierarchy pane, using a script. This is because I have a terrain that is generated using a script, and the terrain is rendered just like it is in the second image above. While it seems very artistic and surreal, it was not what I wanted to have :p

Thanks in advance

15. Spritekin

Spritekin

>>That's pretty interesting. I was thinking about supporting tilesets with more variations per tile type but this way you can already make it look a lot nicer. Does it only work for horizontal/vertical transitions? It sounds like you have to add a lot more restrictions to the tile sets to make it work.

I remember using rotated corners, even rotated double corners (those with one terrain in opposite corners) and worked fine. Can't vouch for all terrain types though. You would need to check it.

Luck!

16. kiriri

kiriri

Hey, it's been some time since I used your plugin, but it used to work fine I remember.
    Now today I updated to v1.2 and started a new terrain.

However, there's a very annoying bug : the layer selection for painting is very off. Instead of using the Layer you create in the Terrain Tile Data GameObject ( ->In the TSTile Set script) for painting, it takes the index of the selected layer and uses that index to get whatever texture is in the list of the Terrain-maps (you know, on the actual Terrain gameObject, in the Terrain component) at that index.
    An example: I create a terrain, select it, and add first a grass texture, then a mud texture to its' "Textures" list. Then I create a Terrain Tile Data and add first the mud texture as a layer, then the grass texture. Now I select the grass texture and paint. Instead of painting grass though, I paint mud, because the index of the grass layer is 1 in my Terrain Tile Data, and the second texture I added to the terrain was mud.

I'm using a PC and unity 4 pro, but I tried it on Unity 3 pro too and got the same errors. I did everything exactly as written in the documentation.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  17. Ecco

Ecco

Hi FoxPT, when you create a terrain in code it will create a splat map that is set to use bilinear filtering. The splat maps need to be set to point filtering for the tile editor to work. You can do this from code after creating your terrain as such:

Code (csharp):
    2. string assetPath = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(terrain.terrainData);
    3. Object[] splatMaps = AssetDatabase.LoadAllAssetsAtPath(assetPath);
    4. foreach (Object obj in splatMaps)
    5. {
    6.     if (obj is Texture)
    7.     {
    8.         // Set all splat maps to point filtering
    9.         Texture texture = (Texture)obj;
    10.         texture.filterMode = FilterMode.Point;
    11.     }
    12. }

18. Ecco

Ecco

There are some issues with 1.2, please wait for 1.2.1 and let me know if the issues are still there.

19. Marque-Irving

Marque-Irving

Hello, I have this plugin. I was wondering how I would increase the size of the tiles. When i use a resolution other than 512 they come out messy

20. Gunhi

Gunhi

Look fantastic, just a quick question before I buy it please,

How can I create my own Tile Sets Asset? is there any tutorial?

21. influogames-dev

influogames-dev

It seems to be a very interesting package, but is it possible to paint the terrain at runtime?

22. Ecco

Ecco

You can either increase the size of the entire terrain, or lower resolution by factors of two.

Sure, just look for any tutorial on creating World of Warcraft 3 terrains. This tool uses that exact format.

Yes it is, though I suppose I should add info on manipulating the terrain from code in the documentation at some point.

23. kiriri

kiriri

Ok, I've got 2 issues. The one is probably a Unity bug and I'm thinking of handing it in. I once installed a version of your plugin that didn't work (I've mentioned the stuff here before) and I now upgraded to the newest version. The thing is though, this newest version shows the same problems. Reinstalling didn't help. Installing the new package in a new project, and then importing the old project as a package fixed it though. So for me this is a serialisation bug of Unity...

Now , my new project requires me to call some stuff that you'd normally do from the editor, from a script. For everyone who has tried this and failed, please do it like this :

public TSTileSet tiles;
    (...)
    tiles.tileData.SetCorner(x,y,1);
    tiles.UpdateSplatMap();

(you need to update the splat maps just like you would Apply() a normal texture) . The author forgot to mention this in prev posts.

However, I need more access than this. I want to procedurally generate terrains and add custom splat maps automatically. Is such a thing possible (I'm talking about an ingame function that does the same as the Add, Edit , Remove buttons on the TSTileSet component)?

If not, would it be possible to get access to the source code for entirely personal reasons? I would be willing to sign an NDA or something if that would help :)

Best Regards,
    Sven

24. slw825

slw825

Hey, Ecco!

It's it possible to fix the wrong rendering result when building on mobile?
    ..through scripting or pre-render the completed terrain texture before building, etc. (( If it's possible...

By the way it's really a great tool !!

25. Marchgrass

Marchgrass

How about for mobile ? Can it work ?

26. artfabrique

artfabrique

Hi! Did you found a solution?

27. Apiweb

Apiweb

No more Updates?
    Like Unity 4.3 Compatibility? Or new featureS?

28. kilik128

kilik128

for mobile ?

29. noanoa

noanoa

Would it have huge impact on FPS if you paint all over the terrain with Terrain Tile Editor?

30. kilik128

kilik128

it's possible to paint height map in run time ?

31. bitlather

bitlather

This tool looks incredible. Will it work with the free version of Unity?

I don't plan on buying a license for a while, but I would like to play with the terrain tile editor.

I'm using version 4.3.3f1.

32. Durane

Durane

In version 4.5+ there are errors on shaders. You must manualy fix this. Lines 66 and 67 (remove 'f' after 64f and 8f)

33. leegod

leegod

Hi.
    I have questions.

1. So can I make Civilization5 style map with this asset?

2. And hexagon grid system also included in this asset?

34. Hazor

Hazor

Does it works with Unity 5? is it fixable?

AingUing likes this.
  35. Durane

Durane

Asset last update Jul 12, 2013
    As I said in previous message: "In version 4.5+ there are errors on shaders. You must manualy fix this. Lines 66 and 67 (remove 'f' after 64f and 8f)"

All source (except shaders and misc items) compiled into DLL. So I can`t fix all off bugs. And asset have limits on texture count and I can`t fix this.

So it was a waste of money.

36. Durane

Durane

so I make own tile system. flexible, fixable, etc :) and with dynamic tilemorfing

ElectroMantis likes this.
  37. HonKasumi

HonKasumi

hii, does this asset still work, im am looking soo long for a asset like this

38. oathx

oathx

hi, i want buy this asset, support unity 5.6.x????