Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GUIX Demo Released!

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by jeremyace, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jeremyace

jeremyace

Due to popular demand, the GUIX Demo is now here!

We are pround to present version 1.2.1 of our GUI-eXtended tool (GUIX). We have added several new features, including a new, full-featured trial mode so you can take it for a spin, free!

We have also changed our payment processor, so you are no longer forced to pay using PayPal! A lot of people have problems with PayPal, so now you can also purchase GUIX using a variety of additional methods (including PayPal). ;-)

Click the link below to get it now:
    http://www.ennanzus-interactive.com/developer/GUIX/

Note to current customers: We have already sent your new shiny license key information to the email you purchased with, so make sure you check your spam filters to make sure you get it!

Enjoy!

-Jeremy

2. MatthewW

MatthewW

So is this standalone only--no web player, due to the DLLs?

3. shaun

shaun

The DLL is a .NET Assembly, at least in the Demo version, so it should just work.

Jeremy - nice work btw. I like the background on you demo screenshot ;)

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Hi Jeremy,

I downloaded, installed the demo and gave it a quick spin. I also looked through the generated scripts it created. Overall, I can see how this would save someone a lot of time "tweaking" button positions, etc. But what I haven't figured out yet, is how to make a multiple selection type element, like a selection grid or such. The designer just places a single element and I don't see any way to increase its size to multiple elements (hope I'm making myself clear)? Any hints? One thing that would be real nice would be a more sophisticated example scene, maybe with a file browser or such. That alone would be worth the price. :)

5. jeremyace

jeremyace

Shaun is correct here, it can be used in every build target Unity currently supports (Wii not tested, but I am sure it will work there too).

Haha thanks buddy. I thought you'd like it. ;-)

Yes, since the size, amount of elements, and so on of a SelectionGrid in particular are controlled by the data you send it, we have it set up so you set the "Seed" position, if you will.

The single element you are seeing is really just the first element. Since it fills out due to the data, providing values to set that in the Designer would just confuse things further.

I actually recommend that you use the SelectBox or ComboBox we provide instead of the SelectionGrid. We included the SelectionGrid in case users need it, but for most cases the SelectBox or ComboBox are nicer to use.

If you needed to add custom elements, you'd have to follow the steps in the Base API docs under "Advanced: Extending the system with custom elements"

We are planning to add many more elements to the system as time goes on as well. A file browser just might be on the list already btw. ;-)

In time we will consider providing a larger demo that showcases some of the more advanced controls, but our main intention was to show users the basics without throwing a lot of new concepts at them all at once. ;-)

Take care!
    -Jeremy

6. mcarr1973

mcarr1973

Hello Jeremyace,

Are there any tutorials on how to use this?

Im new to unity and just starting to learn the GUI and am not ready to use the 30 day trial until I get somewhat of a handle on the unity gui, just so I dont waist the trial time.

Im definitely going to try the trial a little later and almost sure I'll purchase it because it takes the coding out for you because Im good at graphics but really cluesless when it come to coding and javascript and the like. Codeing just hurts my brain lol.

So long story short if there where some tutorials on how to use your GUIX in side Unity it would be a quicker sale. Maybe some video TUTs (preferred) or PDF TUTs on the use-ability within Unity could be a big bonus for you.

the 30 day trial is ok but if I could see it in action - sold :)

Sincerely,
    Michael

7. zumwalt

zumwalt

Demo works just fine, but when I created my own canvas, added the c# script I created to an Ego, I got an error, so I remarked out what was causing the error, no error but no gui shows.

Attached to Ego:
    Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class ShowMyCanvas : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     private New_Canvas nCanvas;
    8.     // Use this for initialization
    9.     void Start () {
    10.         nCanvas=new New_Canvas();
    12.         // throws error:
    13.         // Cannot modify the return value of 'GUIX.Canvas.Rect'
    14.         // because it is not a variable
    15.         // nCanvas.Rect.x=20.0;
    16.         // nCanvas.Rect.y=20.0;
    18.     }
    20.     // Update is called once per frame
    21.     void Update () {
    23.     }
    25.     void OnGui()
    26.     {
    27.         nCanvas.Draw();
    28.     }
    29. }
    Script generated by the GUIX:

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System;
    5. public class New_Canvas : GUIX.Canvas
    6. {
    7.                         public New_Canvas_Logic _logicHandler;
    8.                         public GUIX.TextArea txtGeneral;
    9.                         public GUIX.Button btnStart;
    11.                         public New_Canvas()
    12.                         {
    13.                             Init();
    14.                         }
    16.                         public override void Init()
    17.                         {
    18.                             _logicHandler = new New_Canvas_Logic();
    19.                             _logicHandler.Init(this);
    20.                             CanvasLanguage = "cs";
    21.                             Rect = new Rect(0.0F, 0.0F, 550F, 350F);
    23.                             this.CanvasName = "New_Canvas";
    25.                             //// txtGeneral ////
    26.                             txtGeneral = new GUIX.TextArea(this);
    27.                             txtGeneral.ElementName = "txtGeneral";
    28.                             txtGeneral.Rect = new Rect(0.8181818F, 1.571429F, 20F, 20F);
    29.                             txtGeneral.LayoutMode = GUIX.ElementBase.ElementLayoutMode.Relative;
    30.                             txtGeneral.Text = @"This is kind of sweet!";
    31.                             txtGeneral.ClickEvent += _logicHandler.txtGeneral_Changed;
    32.                             txtGeneral.MouseOverEvent += _logicHandler.txtGeneral_MouseOver;
    33.                             txtGeneral.MouseOutEvent += _logicHandler.txtGeneral_MouseOut;
    34.                             txtGeneral.Rotation = 0;
    35.                             txtGeneral.Color = new Color(1F, 1F, 1F, 1F);
    36.                             txtGeneral.AutoSize = GUIX.ElementBase.AutoSizeMode.None;
    37.                             txtGeneral.AutoSizeAnchor = GUIX.ElementBase.AutoSizeAnchorType.TopLeft;
    38.                             txtGeneral.AutoSizeMinScale = new Vector2(0F, 0F);
    39.                             txtGeneral.AutoSizeMaxScale = new Vector2(100F, 100F);
    40.                             txtGeneral.Value = "";
    41.                             txtGeneral.MaxLength = 1000000;
    42.                             txtGeneral.IsVisible = true;
    44.                             this.AddElement( txtGeneral );
    46.                             //// btnStart ////
    47.                             btnStart = new GUIX.Button(this);
    48.                             btnStart.ElementName = "btnStart";
    49.                             btnStart.Rect = new Rect(1F, 87.85714F, 20F, 10F);
    50.                             btnStart.LayoutMode = GUIX.ElementBase.ElementLayoutMode.Relative;
    51.                             btnStart.Text = @"Start";
    52.                             btnStart.ClickEvent += _logicHandler.btnStart_Click;
    53.                             btnStart.MouseOverEvent += _logicHandler.btnStart_MouseOver;
    54.                             btnStart.MouseOutEvent += _logicHandler.btnStart_MouseOut;
    55.                             btnStart.Rotation = 0;
    56.                             btnStart.Color = new Color(0.3785715F, 1F, 0.5142857F, 0.4F);
    57.                             btnStart.AutoSize = GUIX.ElementBase.AutoSizeMode.None;
    58.                             btnStart.AutoSizeAnchor = GUIX.ElementBase.AutoSizeAnchorType.TopLeft;
    59.                             btnStart.AutoSizeMinScale = new Vector2(0F, 0F);
    60.                             btnStart.AutoSizeMaxScale = new Vector2(100F, 100F);
    61.                             btnStart.IsVisible = true;
    63.                             this.AddElement( btnStart );
    65.                         }
    67.                         public override void Draw()
    68.                         {
    69.                             txtGeneral.Draw();
    70.                             btnStart.Draw();
    71.                         }
    73. }
    Second script file:

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System;
    5. public class New_Canvas_Logic
    6. {
    7.     private New_Canvas _canvas;
    9.     public void Init(New_Canvas canvas)
    10.     {
    11.         this._canvas = canvas;
    12.     }
    14.     //---- txtGeneral --------------------
    15.     public void txtGeneral_Changed(object sender, params object[] args)
    16.     {
    17.         //Enter Your Click Handling Code Here...
    18.     }
    20.     public void txtGeneral_MouseOver(object sender, params object[] args)
    21.     {
    22.         //Enter Your Mouse Over Handling Code Here...
    23.     }
    25.     public void txtGeneral_MouseOut(object sender, params object[] args)
    26.     {
    27.         //Enter Your Mouse Out Handling Code Here...
    28.     }
    29.     //----------------------------------
    32.     //---- btnStart --------------------
    33.     public void btnStart_Click(object sender, params object[] args)
    34.     {
    35.         //Enter Your Click Handling Code Here...
    36.     }
    38.     public void btnStart_MouseOver(object sender, params object[] args)
    39.     {
    40.         //Enter Your Mouse Over Handling Code Here...
    41.     }
    43.     public void btnStart_MouseOut(object sender, params object[] args)
    44.     {
    45.         //Enter Your Mouse Out Handling Code Here...
    46.     }
    47.     //----------------------------------
    50. }
    So probably user error.
    (as in I am the user, my error)
    This looks highly promising for me, but I saw no way to add image buttons with button up / down effects, or choose a background image with transparency to it for the GUI, but this is all first attempt, I'll sleep on it tonight and goof off with it again in the morning.

8. jeremyace

jeremyace

Hi Michael,

We don't currently have tutorials available. It is something we plan to add in the future for sure.

However, once you learn a little bit about how Unity works, how you attach scripts to object in the Editor, and a little bit on how to program very very basic things with Unity, then GUIX should be no problem for you. We provide full docs, and the Designer is also very easy to use.

I recommend you burn through a couple of Unity tutorials first, and then try out our demo so you can try it in context, as it were. ;-)

-Jeremy

9. jeremyace

jeremyace

This is because in C# you cannot modify a Rect like that. Just like using Vectors, you have to create a new object and assign it.

So:
    Code (csharp):
    1. nCanvas.Rect.x=20.0;
    2. nCanvas.Rect.y=20.0;
    Needs to be:
    Code (csharp):
    1. nCanvas.Rect = new Rect( 20.0F, 20.0F, nCanvas.Rect.width, nCanvas.Rect.height);
    This is a C# thing. You can do what you tried to do using JS. (Just get the Designer to generate your Canvas code in JS by changing the Language setting in the Canvas Settings window.)

As for the Canvas not displaying, in the demo the runtime will only work in the Unity editor. So you would test by playing your game inside Unity. By any chance were you trying to test it in a built game?

You do that either through the skin, or by setting the Style property of the element directly. Basically, you can do anything the standard Unity GUI can do, as our system is built on top of it.

In the sample scene that comes with a demo, the code that shows how to modify the value of the ProgressBar will give you a hint as to how to edit the style.

Take care!
    -Jeremy

10. zumwalt

zumwalt

I was trying to do it inside of Unity's editor not a built game. I am going to create a new scene today and play around with it as soon as I get back from doing stuff for my wife. First things first, make her happy, then play in Unity!

11. mcarr1973

mcarr1973

Yep when the wife's happy everybodys happy lol.

Thanks for the reply Jeremy (will do).

Sincerely,
    Michael

12. LakePlaceProductionsLLC

LakePlaceProductionsLLC

Does this work on the indie version?

13. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I can answer for Jeremy here: yes it does, it doesn't use any Unity Pro-only features at all.

(aside for Jeremy: great work man)

d.

14. jeremyace

jeremyace

Thanks a lot David, we really appreciate it. :)

-Jeremy

15. tuttson06

tuttson06

Hey Jeremy

Was just seeing if you could help, I think I have followed the installation correctly, but I am recieving this error on opening the Unity project

Assets/Editor/GUIXDesigner/GUIXDesignerWindow.cs(5) error: The type or namespace name `EditorWindow' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Just seeing if you could point me in the right direction as I really want to give this software a go! (This software is a must for the sports management game I am making as its all just GUI!)

Thanks mate

Aden

16. jeremyace

jeremyace

Hi Aden,

You need to be using Unity 2.1 or higher. The reason you are seeing that error is because UT added EditorWindows in 2.1. So upgrade Unity and you should be good to go.

Good luck!
    -Jeremy

17. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Hmmm. I took GUIX for a spin.

1) I started a new project.

2) I imported the GUIX unity package.

3) I saved the default scene.

4) I created a new canvas and saved it.

5) I added a combo box with the defaults.

6) I hit the play button.

And I see this error.

Code (csharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. GUIXDesignerWindow.OnGUI ()   (at Assets/Editor/GUIXDesigner/GUIXDesignerWindow.cs:30)
    Maybe it's user error. If I just open the example scene in a new project, I don't see the null reference exception. If I save the canvas, the null reference exception comes back.

I'm using Unity Pro 2.1.0f5 and can't seem to save a simple canvas with a combo box. Maybe it's just user error???

18. jeremyace

jeremyace

Hi,

This is due to Unity recompiling your scripts while the Designer is still open. To prevent this, after you save your canvas, it's important to close the Designer. We force Unity to recompile assets on close to ensure that your new canvas scripts are usable right away. Unity doesn't like to auto-detect new files that are created within Unity like this, so we force it.

The Designer is intended to run full screen, so if you have a res higher than 1024x768, it is recommended that you drag the window larger (It will save its size and position on close).

We are working on removing this restriction for a future release.

-Jeremy

19. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

I see. When the designer opens, I need to load the sample canvas and save the sample canvas. If I try to save any other name it won't be found.

Is there a way to populate the combo box items from the GUI designer?

Other than duplicating the code from the sample canvas?

Code (csharp):
    1.             //// ComboBox ////
    2.             ComboBox = new GUIX.ComboBox(this);
    3.             ComboBox.ElementName = "ComboBox";
    4.             ComboBox.Rect = new Rect(73.18182, 58.71429, 20, 20);
    5.             ComboBox.LayoutMode = GUIX.ElementBase.ElementLayoutMode.Relative;
    6.             ComboBox.Text = "ComboBox";
    7.             ComboBox.ClickEvent = _logicHandler.ComboBox_Changed;
    8.             ComboBox.MouseOverEvent = _logicHandler.ComboBox_MouseOver;
    9.             ComboBox.MouseOutEvent = _logicHandler.ComboBox_MouseOut;
    10.             ComboBox.Rotation = 0;
    11.             ComboBox.Color = new Color(1, 1, 1, 1);
    12.             ComboBox.AutoSize = GUIX.ElementBase.AutoSizeMode.None;
    13.             ComboBox.AutoSizeAnchor = GUIX.ElementBase.AutoSizeAnchorType.TopLeft;
    14.             ComboBox.AutoSizeMinScale = new Vector2(0, 0);
    15.             ComboBox.AutoSizeMaxScale = new Vector2(100, 100);
    16.             ComboBox.Value = 0;
    17.             ComboBox.MaxItemDisplayCount = 10;
    18.             ComboBox.OpenDirection = GUIX.ElementBase.ElementOpenDirection.Down;
    19.             ComboBox.IsVisible = true;
    21.             this.AddElement( ComboBox );

20. jeremyace

jeremyace

If you do not close the Designer after saving and wait for Unity to compile the scripts (that spinning lollipop icon in the bottom right of the Unity Editor screen), then the Designer won't find your canvas as it hasn't been compiled yet.

If you mean you cannot get the custom canvas to display in the game view, that is because you have to set what canvas you want to load. (Please consult the sample and/or the docs on how to do this)

Not currently from the Designer, as the Combo Box is a data-driven control.

Hope that helps you, and if you (or anyone else) have any other issues, please send an email to our support address directly, rather than here on the Unity forum.

support[-.AT.-]ennanzus-interactive.com

This way we don't bog down the Unity forums with our support. ;-)

Take care,
    -Jeremy

21. zumwalt

zumwalt

I haven't received any emails from you folks about updates since the latest I purchased it, is this product even still valid?

22. jeremyace

jeremyace

Yes, as mentioned in my reply to your other thread here: http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=123798#123798 it still is very valid, and will continue to be.

You can always get the latest version of GUIX from our site, and the current version is 1.3.4: http://ennanzus-interactive.com/developer/GUIX/download.htm

Release notes are available in our forums (linked from the About window of the Designer). As we mentioned in our forums we no longer send update emails simply because most customers were not getting the updates at all, and therefore had no way to get updates without contacting us directly.

We stopped this back when we released the demo version, and set it up so users can always get the most recent build (and check for updates) on our site.

I hope that, and my reply to your other thread clears up your questions.

-Jeremy

23. Zante

Zante

Been using the demo, it's great. Doesn't seem to work in the webplayer though?

Since all the work I do is based on the web, I'd need to know it works before buying.

24. acakaliman

acakaliman

Does anyone know if this works for developing iPhone game's GUI?

25. kasey

kasey

How do I uninstall this thing???

26. jeremyace

jeremyace

GUIX works fully in the webplayer. The reason you can not see it with the demo is because GUIX is disabled in built games for the demo.

No, not currently.

GUIX is never installed, but if you mean you want to remove it from your project, just delete the files and directories added when you imported the package into your project.

- Editor/GUIXDesigner
    - GUIX Generated
    - GUIX Samples
    - Project Assets/Scripts/EnnanzusInteractive_GUIX.dll

-Jeremy

27. pseudonym

pseudonym

Hallo,

Can someone who's used this system for a while, ideally on a finished game I can play, recommend it?

There are no testimonials on the site, and Unity development moves so fast I'm not sure whether this system uses the 'new' unity GUI system or the old one...

Confused but willing to make a purchase if someone with a finished game can recommend the system.

Thanks,

James

28. Dreamora

Dreamora

The Unity GUI system has not changed since Unity 2.0
    (2.5 has only introduced UI for the editor end, that can not be used in games)

29. jeremyace

jeremyace

GUIX is also in active development, and is constantly updated and improved.

GUIX is being used for many commercial projects varying from small games to rich GUI-driven applications in development by our customers, some of whom are listed in the Fortune 500.

At this point, the best bet is to try the Demo yourself (if you haven't already), scan through the Features list on our site, and the docs and see if you like it.

-Jeremy

30. galent

galent

Hey Jeremy,

Any plans you can share to support iphone development with GUIX?

Oh, and is there somewhere(other than a file in the download) where you list the version fixes/enhansements? I see 1.4.4 is out, I think I"m running 1.3.4.

Thanks,

Galen

31. jeremyace

jeremyace

Hey Galen,

Sorry for the reply delay, haven't had the time to check all the Unity forums as often as I would like.

There are no current plans to support Unity iPhone at this time.

As you probably already know, there is an iPhone GUI system being built and improved by the community, and that would be the best choice for iPhone-specific GUI development at this time.

As for GUIX release notes, they are available in the general section of our forums ( http://forums.ennanzus-interactive.com/viewtopic.php?p=155#p155 )

As an additional note, to ensure we see your questions quickly, please email our support email or post your question on our forums in the future. ;-)

Take care,
    -Jeremy

32. duke

duke

Apologies if this has already been asked - does this work for making Editor UI's?

33. Dreamora

Dreamora

Should do so given you alter the resoluting code file for your needs
    by default it outputs classes for game usage.

Just keep in mind: it does not use unitys gui elements so neither GUI.xxx nor EditorGUI.xxx stuff is available (thats why its potentially as lightning fast as it is)

you could use the 7 day trial to give it a go :)

34. JFo

JFo

Just to correct the possible misunderstanding:
    the GUIX is a wrapper for Unity GUI system, so it uses all the GUI.Button, GUI.Label etc calls internally and all elements is drawn in OnGUI method, so it _cannot_ be any faster than the standard Unity GUI system. In fact, there is allways overhead when using wrappers so in that sense, it is slightly slower than comparable code using Unity GUI directly.

I still recommend using GUIX as it is way more productive and intuitive (ie. more object oriented) GUI to utilize than the standard Unity GUI which is more close to a hack than a pofessional GUI system.

BR,
    Juha

35. jeremyace

jeremyace

Yes, Juha is correct here. GUIX 1.x wraps the Unity-internal GUI calls, provides additional functionality, and in many cases *abuses* Unity GUI so it will work as expected. ;-)

GUIX does not use GUILayout at all however, and the framework is designed to be very light, so the runtime performance hit is negligible.

As to the original question, yes, GUIX can be used to make editor interfaces. The GUIX Designer itself is built using the GUIX runtime framework. :)

Also good to note is that you can mix GUIX and Unity GUI elements where needed, although it's usually not recommended unless you know both GUI systems pretty well.

Take care!
    -Jeremy

36. duke

duke

Ok i'm sold. Boughted it.

37. Dreamora

Dreamora

OK might be possible that it internally wraps the GUI.xxx stuff, sorry bout that :oops:

On the outside though you don't work with the GUI.xxx stuff for it and if you ever happened to check the same UI Test environment with GUIX and normal OnGUI with the profiler enabled you will realize that there is a pretty big performance difference on that end as well, so whatever they internally do with the stuff, its well worth it already due to that (the editor and the much cleaner coding pattern just happen to make it even better :) )

38. Cyberbryce

Cyberbryce

Hi there,

I have bought GUIX (single user licence) and I have a problem with the build process. I have placed the dll licence file in the right place in my project (Scripts folder in Project Assets folder), and the GUIX Designer works fine, but when I build a game and then run it, I have a Box with text saying my version of GUIX is trial.

Any idea why the built games don't recognize my licence ?

Thanks in advance !

39. leonardoaraujo

leonardoaraujo

Hi guys one question I can use GUIX in Iphone/Android projects? Did someone actually tested? Thanks

40. Dreamora

Dreamora

did test it already win unity iphone 1.x days and worked fine there :) (only problem back then was that the editor didn't work cause it relied on Unity 2.5+ addition)

would have to check if it still holds and/or if the editor works fine under u3 especially on an iOS project but you can easily use the demo and drop it in to find out that part