Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mouse 3D in Unity Editor (SpaceNavigator...)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by feldev, Apr 5, 2012.

1. feldev

feldev

Hello guys,

I just want to let you know that I just released an editor plugin that brings some 3d mice compatibility.

Watch the video :

Before buying, please take note of some important requirements, on my website :
    http://feldev.com#mouse3D

• This is an Editor plugin
    • The window must be visible in order to update the scene view.
    • Works on Windows and OS X
    • Works with 3dconnexion mice (SpaceNavigator...)
    • Check your compatibility first (download the package on my website)

You can navigate in your scene view and move the game objects with freedom in all six degrees of movement.

If you have any issue or suggestion feel free to contact me on my website.

I will use this thread to notify you for updates.

EDIT :
    **Version 1.1 :
    - Added a distance factor slider in Edit mode : the nearest the object is to the camera, the slower it will move
    - Added the Plan Edit mode : Movements are translated relative to camera's Y rotation (Usefull for moving objects on a ground/table...)
    - Added the Custom Edit mode : Combine the 4 other modes on each axes

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. SteveJ

SteveJ

Awesome! Was looking at buying a SpaceNavigator now that modo601 supports them.

Hopefully UT will add support directly into Unity at some point.

3. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

This would be a great tool to make cinematics with - I'd love the ability to record the scene camera's position (maybe at a specified framerate) and turn it into an animation file, to put onto a main camera.

4. feldev

feldev

@geppetto : You are right, but I honestly hope that it won't be available on the next update !

@Thinksquirrel : I juste added a 2nd video. At the end, I show how to move a Camera object. I think that it definitely would great to "record" animations with that plugin. I was thinking to try to implement this ...

5. maidamedia

maidamedia

Nice but really too expensive!

6. CrashKonijn

CrashKonijn

I agree with maidamedia. I know it must have been lots of work and I do really want my spacenavigator to work in unity but (at least) I don't have $70 which I can spend on such script... (which is just something that's really really really nice to have but you can do fine without).

I would spend $15 max on this script, but I'm a student, I don't have much money to spent anyway :p

7. Yann

Yann

Agree with the other posters. At around 1/3 of the current price, I would buy it right now. And since w'ere already 3... ;)

8. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Perhaps you could do a lite/free version that just allows navigation in the editor, then all the extras go on a pro version. I think $70, even more for European (almost 70euros) is a lot, almost what my space pilot cost :)

9. maidamedia

maidamedia

Not more than 25$ in my opinion!

10. Pulov

Pulov

THat camera movement is certainly impresive.

11. jwick

jwick

Please contact me about having us (3Dconnexion) help promote your plugin.

12. feldev

feldev

@ jwick : Thank you. I just sent you a private message.

13. kersk

kersk

This is awesome work, but like others have said this is just way too expensive. I can't justify paying basically the value of the device for what is essentially a workaround plugin for one application. I think ~$15-$20 would be more reasonable and you'd see a lot more sales. I hope to see this come down in price!

14. maart

maart

I would buy for $25

15. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I've been waiting for this feature for a while, but I agree that 87.5$ is unreasonably expensive. If the price drops to $25 or less I'm on.

What are the prospects of seeing a version that connects with the SpaceNavigator in runtime?

16. Srch

Srch

+ 1 on purchase for a more reasonable price, we use navigator in the college where I teach, and I would guarantee a fair amount of sales for a better price!

Thanks for the effort, is this the same plugin Juha aka JFo wrote about here: SpaceNavigator-support!/page4

17. feldev

feldev

@Srch : That is not the same plugin.

@CarlEmail : I don't plan to release a runtime version. I am not sure about this need.

@everyone : I hear your voice.
    I don't plan to reduce the price of this plugin for the moment. I am still working on it to make it better.
    I'll probably release a "Lite" version.

(Version 1.1 just sent to the asset store.)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  18. Alienchild

Alienchild

$25-30 and I'd buy it (and order the 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator).

19. 01iv3r

01iv3r

let me know when you can record camera movement

20. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Ah, that's too bad.

For anyone else interested SpaceNavigator input in runtime for non distributed "games" I can recommend OSCulator ($18.4).
    http://www.osculator.net/

21. Srch

Srch

Hi there,

Any news with the plugin, some of us have been waiting for 4 years for something like this to be made!

I've downloaded the test package and it works! I still find it hard to part with the price of the device (Space Navigator) for a plugin to support it, are sales going good at the moment? at 40$ you would have a lot of clients!

Any news on the light version?

Thanks for the effort, unfortunately once I know it's doable, having waited 4 years, another few months to save a few dollars won't hurt,

it is very tempting to splurge, but... :)

22. ktweedy1

ktweedy1

I would be interested in it if it had runtime support. MMO RPGs would use it. We make machinima in Unity to would use it for flythroughs and various camera effects that we do in runtime.

23. smitchell

smitchell

I would love to buy this, But not for $70! I guess I will have to make my own version :)

24. feldev

feldev

Hello guys !
    I'm working on the next update.
    I will include a runtime version, in beta first.
    + other features requested by customers.

I hope to release it starting June.

But for now, I'm in vacation :)

25. unitarian411

unitarian411

For $25, I am another customer !

26. jelmer5

jelmer5

$25 and I am in (via Paypal..)
    Runtime would be nice for flythroughs..

27. kersk

kersk

You really would get a flood of sales if you lowered the price to $25.

28. FlowPX2

FlowPX2

My limit... 25 US-Dollar!

29. Aron

Aron

Hey, so I might be the only person to buy this at $75, but it works great!

One suggestion I'd like to see implemented:
    In helicopter mode, you should give a checkbox option to lock specific axis. Specifically I'm talking about barrel rotation (z-axis rotation). I personally don't like to work with this axis enabled at all really. It should also reset this value to 0 once the Mouse 3D window is turned off so the camera doesn't just sit at a weird slanted rotation when the user might not have the 3D Mouse with them.

Overall works great though, I've been waiting a long time for something like this! :D

30. maidamedia

maidamedia

25$ ? I will buy too!

31. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

32. Ronin-Ra

Ronin-Ra

I'm one of the ones that paid $75 for this plugin. The plugin works, but having the plugin window constantly open is kind of annoying.
    But the worst part is that for $75 I was expecting to get access to the source for the plugin, since the price is already a total rip-off, source code access would make it a bit more acceptable....
    So is there any chance of getting my hands on the source for the plugin?

33. NateJC

NateJC

34. sordidlist

sordidlist

I notice the version in the Asset Store is currently v1.1 - are there any plans to update the asset in the future? The ability to do what others have mentioned and record the camera as it's controlled by a 3D mouse would be awesome. Runtime support would be another huge feature, and the two put together would give developers an unbeatable tool when it comes to getting in-game footage for stuff like trailers and showcases. $70, hell, $100 would be a no-brainer compared to the money, time, and effort it takes to do that kind of stuff currently.
    Great work on this thing, man. I just got a Space Navigator and am anxious to give this plug-in a spin. Hope you keep it up!

35. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

The author hasn't logged in to his account here on the forums in quite a while.
    I just wrote to him using the contact link on his page, asking if he will be returning.

36. sordidlist

sordidlist

Good catch Don. Thank you.

37. code-blep

code-blep

38. prowl

prowl

Hi... Just so you know this is now not working in Unity 5 on a Mac - Possibly needs a 64bit Build?

It's very wrong to be selling this still on the asset store with zero backup.

39. NateJC

NateJC

40. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yeah, probably should be removed, since it doesn't work with Unity anymore.
    Voted, thanks Nate.
    People should also write the 3dconnexion people requesting Unity support.

41. prowl

prowl

@NateJC Thanks - Have voted. It is insane that it doesn't Have it in a modern DCC. It's apparent;y not even hard to implement.

C'mon Unity... it's No. 12 on the most voted and would probably take a programmer a few days to do.

I'm basically working a snails pace now with out it. Sad i know... but I also can't use a mouse anymore at all. I am at the mercy of Wacom too.