Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Book Round-up

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Serapth, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Serapth

Serapth

The list of books available for Unity is getting quite large and growing larger by the day. Picking out what book(s) to buy/read is getting harder and harder every day. Therefore I compiled together a list of all the Unity related books I could find, so you can browse through the most pertinent information on each book ( Publisher, Table of Contents, Page count, Publish date, Publisher description, average Amazon rating if applicable, etc. ) all on a single page. If you happen to have a Safari Books Online subscription, there is also a link to each book, if available, as well as a link to the Publisher page and Amazon.

Please let me know if I missed a book or made an error, as I intend to keep the list as timely and correct as possible.

The Unity Book round-up.

Hopefully this proves useful to some of you.

/EDIT: Oops, fixed link. If you got a 404, my bad, sorry.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

3. Serapth

Serapth

Thanks OmniverseProductions, updated. Nicely, it fit in alphabetically at the end too. :)

4. sonic220

sonic220

I'm waiting for "Professional Unity and C#: Multi-Platform 3D Game Development" for a long time now, it's release has been moved a lot of times

5. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

Very nice work, @Serapth. I own far too many of these titles. :)
    I noticed one error: you list Joe Blow as the author of Creating 3D Game Art for the iPhone with Unity. The book is written by Wes McDermott, also known as @The3DNinja.

6. Serapth

Serapth

Oops, sorry about that Wes, nice catch IslandDreamer, thanks.

Joe Blow was the templated value, apparently I missed that one. Fixed now.

7. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

While this isn't the first time I mentioned this, "Unity iOS Game Development" anyone? Theirs no reviews on it, and it's been out for more then a couple of weeks.

Still no ratings if it's good or crap. The kindle version is cheaper then physical form BTW.

8. Serapth

Serapth

Anything specifically you want to know, I am in progress of writing up a review but not quite done. It is very specifically about iOS devices ( as the title suggests ) and covers topics like signing your app, deploying to device, etc. It also has ZERO content on creating 3D assets or importing them, if that is what you are looking for. I'm not even sure it mentions desktop or Android deployment at all. Finally, the scripting is done in C#. I am not finished yet, but so far the book is quite good for what it is. It works in the format of a step by step "Here is how we accomplish X" followed by a description of *WHY* you did what you did.

9. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

For examples of how to get a game to work, does it cover a fps, third person shooter, or 2d.5 game?

10. Serapth

Serapth

Here is a direct description from the book ( at about the midway point ):

As this is the first game we're going to be building for the app store, we will start with something that is fun, but relatively basic in concept and implementation — a third person perspective dungeon crawler. The design inspiration for the game will be the arcade classic Gauntlet. We will take advantage of common services used for mobile games through plugins and third party services to exploit some of the iOS functions available in Unity.

It's a 3D game, but with a fixed perspective camera. Again, it is not about asset generation at all, all resources for the game are imported from the asset store.

11. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

So the assets used for the book are from the original writer of the book or another developer? Checked amazon lately and seems like it got mixed reviews. Again, the ebook sounds pretty affordable, so not sure if it's really worth it.

12. Serapth

Serapth

From another developer, I've not checked the Unity store, but I think they are simply freely available examples. One I believe was the solider from the 3.5 demo.

Like I said, this is not a book about asset creation, but if that is not what you are looking for, it is a good read, especially for cheap.

13. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

Had second thoughts about kindle version compared to Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials. You think that would be better when comparing?

14. Serapth

Serapth

Essentials is the more comprehensive book, but has far less ios specific content. Its really about what you are trying to get out of it.

15. jimud

jimud

Awesome! Thanks for the list do you know if they are sold at any book stores or is it just purely Amazon? I ask this because I live on a boat and don't own an address. But I do live in the centre of London so if they are on shelfs theirs a good chance I'll be able to find them/it! :)

16. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

Guess I should of mentioned earlier about making a comparison. Like how does Unity iOS Game Development stack up compared to free ios tutorial example on asset store.

17. Serapth

Serapth

Sorry, I'm not sure on that one, I've not gone through the tutorials.

Plus, I generally prefer things compiled in book form.

18. RyanSchurton

RyanSchurton

Nice list serapth, i have yet to buy a unity book because i wasnt sure which ones to pick up but your site has given me a good starting point at what books i should pick up first .

thanks again

19. Serapth

Serapth

Glad it was helpful, and nice to see another Torontonian! ;)

20. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

That seems to be the problem for me, I would have to compare the kindle with other tutorials out. Though when you generally think of very detailed ios tutorials on youtube , those seem to be rare. Not sure if it's worth spending money on. I think if Unity iOS Game Development went into detail on 2.5d gameplay I would be more convinced to buy kindle version.

21. Serapth

Serapth

Just updated to add Game Development for iOS with Unity3D. Note, this book is in pre-release.

Again I am trying to keep as comprehensive as possible, so let me know if I've missed a book, or you have one in the works.

22. garymeyer

garymeyer

Thanks Dear so nice...

23. Serapth

Serapth

I was about to update the list with this book Game Development: Using Unity and C# as I want to be as thorough as possible and include all in development books too, but this one is remarkably vague. The book picture is wrong, the publisher Morgan Kaufmann has no details and the release date is a farrrrr way out.

That said, I am quite interested for two reasons. One, it's C# based, always excited to see more C# based books. Two, this line: "Includes example Unity Projects and Scenes with C# (script files) using Unity's built-in Modo IDE"

Did I miss the memo? What is Modo ( other than a modelling package? )?

Anyways, before I go ahead and add it, I was looking for some confirmation that it does in fact exist... or I suppose, it will exist.

Edit:Cross posted to gossip to see if anyone else knows.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  24. return42

return42

Very useful, thanks a lot!

25. Serapth

Serapth

Yet another new book has been added to the Unity Book Round-up, this one is Unity 3.x Scripting

A book focused on scripting is always a nice addition. At only 250 pages, it seems a bit short and unfortunately ( at least IMHO ) it focuses on JavaScript.

Again, I hope to keep the round-up as timely and accurate as possible, so if Ive missed a book, please let me know!

26. Serapth

Serapth

Another new book has shown up on Amazon, Unity 3D Coding using C# ( http://www.amazon.com/Unity-3D-Coding-Using-C/dp/1466571705 ), but other than it's existence, there is no information, so I am not adding it to the list yet. The author somehow seems tied to the other sketchy book. If anyone can confirm this book, ( or you are the author ), I will add it.

27. Serapth

Serapth

New book added to the list ( and I used the term lightly ).

3D Game Monetization with Unity3D and Leadbolt

I say lightly, as it is only 37 pages. That said, it is also only 3$.

I add it as I want to keep the list as comprehensive as possible. If you notice a book missing, or are authoring a book, please let me know and I will add it.

28. tim_bkk

tim_bkk

Whatever happened to this Wrox book?

"Professional Unity and C#: Multi-Platform 3D Game Development"

It seems to have disappeared from Amazon and the Wrox website.

29. Serapth

Serapth

Odd. The link in the roundup appears to be broken, but when I search by ISBN I get http://www.amazon.ca/Professional-Unity-Multi-Platform-Game-Development/dp/1118063376

If anyone can confirm or deny this book being taken from the market, I will remove it from the list. Or if there is a new release date, I will update accordingly.

It would be a shame if this book didn't come to be, it was perhaps my most anticipated title.

30. Serapth

Serapth

After a pretty long pause with no new books, it looks like the first batch of Unity 4 books is being announced.

I have just added Beginning 3D Game Development with Unity 4 to the Unity Book Roundup.

If that book title sounds familiar, it should. It's a follow up to one of the very first Unity books released. Sadly it's a ways out, March to be precise. I expect there to be an influx of Unity 4 books soon, so stay tuned.

31. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

Hi Serapth,

The reason for the March date (or 4.1 release, whenever that happens) is to make sure I can cover the new GUI system. I'm guessing that will be the case with other authors as well (and will be driving our publishers up the walls :)). It would be silly to release something sooner and be obsolete on such a major change only a couple of months later. It also gives Mecanim a little more time to mature- a couple of days after the 4.0 release, the Mecanim guys were already talking about changes and improvements- which means changing screenshots procedure instructions, again...

As any of us can tell you, writing for Unity is like trying to hit a fast moving target. I've come to expect the 'next point release' to have one little code change that breaks everything in the book. And not just my book. Many authors get bad reviews, unfairly, because of this. It would be great if you could add a bit up at the top of your book list explaining that readers need to stay on top of the changes through the books' errata pages on the publishers' websites, in the books' forum threads (many of us actively monitor those), and wherever else that information turns up.

Unity announced their intention of releasing new features throughout the cycle so it will only get more challenging for readers and authors alike. Unity is always trying to improve speed, performance ease of use, so in the end, it's worth the trouble.

As for the new version of my book, I have changed the focus from a "classic" point and click adventure format, to a 'contemporary' style, incorporating more 3D features (such as physics) into the game play. And, by popular demand, I've added a chapter on dialogue trees and have added a couple of characters to the game, thanks in part to Mecanim.

Keep up the good work on the book list! I always tell people to go through as many books, videos and tutorials as they can, regardless of genre. There is always something useful to be found no matter where your interest lies.

Sue Blackman
    Beginning 3D Game Development with Unity 4

32. artzfx

artzfx

An updated page for this book http://www.amazon.com/Game-Developm...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355273494&sr=1-1

and here
    http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Game-Development-Michael-Croswell/9780123751034

Publish date shown as February 2013.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  33. Serapth

Serapth

Thanks for the explanation, it makes complete sense. BTW, do you have a proposed Table of Contents yet? If so, I can edit it in to the post.

Thanks for the heads up, will edit in shortly.

34. Serapth

Serapth

35. fafase

fafase

"Essential 3D Game Programming" has been cancelled and replaced by a forthcoming http://www.amazon.com/Unity-3D-Coding-Using-C/dp/1466571705.

The explanation came from the author stating that Focal, the publisher was bought and the new publisher cancelled the edition of the first and replaced it with a new name.

36. Serapth

Serapth

So after many months of NOTHING... there have been a flood of unity book announcements.

I've just finished updating the Unity book list.

The following books have been added to the Unity book list:

Classic Game Design: From Pong to Pac-Man with Unity
    Unity Shader and Effects Cookbook
    Unity 4.x Game AI Programming
    Design Games for Architecture: Creating Digital Design Tools with Unity
    Unity 3D Coding using C#
    Unity 4 Fundamentals: Making Games with Unity
    Sams Teach Yourself Unity in 24 hours
    Additionally, the following books were updated:

Professional Unity and C# (Cancelled)
    Essential 3D Game Programming (Cancelled)
    Unity 4.x Cookbook

37. Wooleira

Wooleira

38. Wooleira

Wooleira

Could you please add the one I posted above to the list? :) Thanks in advance!