Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Medieval chinese RTS development blog

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by janpec, Mar 31, 2012.

1. nipoco

nipoco

Looks great Janpec!
    Can't wait to see a complete terrain.

For which platforms do you plan this game?

2. janpec

janpec

Thanks NiPoCo! Windows and Mac will be supported platforms, we will see about IOS since game will be already quite heavy on PCs.

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

You know....

If i new that i could kill you and absorb your skill i would do it( its up to you if that's a good thing or not :D)

4. nofosu1

nofosu1

Those are some really good models. And the game play (especially the warfare) sounds delicious. I am a big fan of historical battles (especially Alexander the Greats's and Julius Caesar's). Cant wait to see the finished product

5. janpec

janpec

Good, but be prepared, i am trained with 3d art self-defense tacticts. If you will be disarmed you will be tortured with countless hours of staring in Zbrush interface without any tutorials and forced to recreate all computer games models up to this date.

6. janpec

janpec

Donkey sculpt.

7. janpec

janpec

Donkey finished. One more version with cargo loaded is comming soon.

8. ivanzu

ivanzu

Nice one!

9. janpec

janpec

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  10. TTkJonas

TTkJonas

Wow, thats look so amazing!! I love your modeling style! Thanks for showing to us

11. janpec

janpec

Here is another blockout of rocks. I have spent most time doing testing with different rock designs, textures and especially looking how to fit grass/terrain/rocks together to make them look in place. The biggest problem for now is grass, i am going to look at some examples like The settlers 7 which has great looking grass and especially well blended grass with splat maps on terrain. For now billboards are primary target to use, becouse it is easier on performance but the problem is with no normal map support and especially wind with current default Unity grass system look very bad, basically it is good for underwater movement but far from what can be seen on air surface. Probably Larsbertrams shader will play important role here, i just need to make sure first how was The settlers grass implemented. I have been doing several grass textures, made from highpoly models and figured out that usually lower and lenghtened grass looks much better, but only for first or third person view, in strategies it is problem that grass starts to cover too little area, and you just need to use more grass, and there are other problems too.
    I am preaparing example map with different looking areas spread across that way i can test what gives best results.
    On other hand good results are comming from our programmer, especially on resource system, which should be in working state very soon. We have goal to create test map / environment with some basic game mechanic till May 1.

12. janpec

janpec

After examing the settlers 7 grass, here is some replica, texture is still WIP. It will be added on terrain as detail mesh in patches.

13. janpec

janpec

Just wanted to add that we are looking for additional programmer and animator to join project. If you are interested to join please PM me with some work examples.

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hey janpec, have you ever though of doing a time laps of you making an animal? You are a true master at making really low poly animals that would easily pass as being 4-6 times as high and I(and I'm sure many others) would like to see what tools you use and the techneques you use to produce such great meshes and textures.

I understand if you dont want to make one though :)

Thanks.

15. janpec

janpec

Titanty i already tried with timelapse videos, but i cant make them. The problem is that my laptop is kinda slow, and i am having problems with very slow graphic card which makes it impossible to record with Camtasia or Fraps with decent frame, unless i want to make 24 hour long video of me struggling to make just sculpt:D But hey on good side i might be getting new computer soon, and in that case i will for sure put some timelapses of what it is being made.

16. janpec

janpec

Another rock update.

Quick mockup of scene.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  17. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

You have some serious artistic talents man. Congrats. :)

18. janpec

janpec

Thanks man, and you have really great coding skills!

19. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Well Thank you. But the next asset coming is a weapons model pack. ;)

20. CrashKonijn

CrashKonijn

Seriously I just LOVE your art style... I would hire you like that! :O

21. janpec

janpec

Today i have been doing mostly research on ancient fishing methods in china and interestingly most of the time they have been using birds instead of spears or angles.
    Here is WIP version of chinese fishing "boat", birds will be added soon. There are some smoothing problems with mesh, i dont know why but i will surely fix it.

22. janpec

janpec

First resource, little fishy. 100 polygons.

23. janpec

janpec

Mushrooms:D

24. janpec

janpec

Cormorant.

25. xThomas

xThomas

Your game looks very nice, but I'm more interested in the actual gameplay and strategy components. However it is very nice artwork, especially to a player of a 10 year old game lol.
    I'm new to this entire forum, your game showed up in a google search and I got interested because a Medeival Chinese RTS sounds interesting.

26. janpec

janpec

Thanks xThomas, we are going to post coding (gameplay) updates too in next few weeks. Oh and welcome to Unity forums!

27. why789

why789

This game looks like it's getting some where! I love RTS games and a chinese medieval one sounds good :)

I'm interested in possibly doing some programming for this!
    Are you still looking for a programmer? If so I want to know a few things (if you don't mind) :
    • What language is the other code in?
    • As I understand it you already have a programmer so what would be my duties?
    • How often do you expect me/need me to be online?
    • Are you flexible with due dates?
    • What about my own personal things that will take priority over the game (taking care of house, school work, etc)
    • Is it in Unity Pro or Indie?
    • How do you communicate with team members?

Thank you and I look forward to your reply!
    why789

28. janpec

janpec

Thank you for your interest why789, check out your PM box.

29. ivanzu

ivanzu

Any updates?

30. janpec

janpec

After long time of no updates here is some work from Unity. I have recently purchased few shader packages and other goodies and planning to create first map. Grass is not yet final and trees are only placeholders .Each of swan geese has different shader, skin shader looks the best, probably its not that obvious to notice:p

31. dterbeest

dterbeest

Looking great as always janpec! Keep up the good work and if there's anything i can do to help, let me know!

32. napster

napster

Amazing work Janpec

33. janpec

janpec

Thanks guys, Dennis for sure i will need help either from you or someone else since i cant do coding:p