Search Unity

tictox - Void Pirate - WIP Contest Entry

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by shaderbytes, Mar 30, 2012.

1. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I started on my model a week ago , I only have 1 and a half years experience modeling so I dont have any sort of default base mesh to start things out with and the only tool I know is blender. I created this from scratch , here is a brief timeline image of the progress made.

Here is a bigger image , I changed the boots to black and have modeled a gun as well

2. marcos

marcos

Good start, cool idea with the hip joints there!

I think that the model overall could do with some proportion tweaks though, I'd grab some reference from the internet and play around with the length of limbs and stuff.

Keep going!

3. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Thanks marcos

Indeed ! I did this by eye so I have gone and and grabbed two proportion reference images from the web as you suggested to help me get it all fixed up. The main problems I see immediately from these is that my neck is to long , shoulder height needs to come up, also the pelvis could be raised a bit as well meaning slightly longer upper legs too. will post again once I have sorted it out.

4. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I made the proportional changes to the model and then once complete .. I did not like how it looked now been all normally proportionate..?
    I guess I grew attached to the imperfect version. I will evaluate it again after some time passes but it was a good exercise none the less.

Since that I decided to look into the digital sculpting - retopo pipeline for the first time as I found out Scuptris software is free. What an awesome program! So here is a render of my first partial Sculptris model and the retopo Ive done so far.. Im gonna have a go at the male vanguard now as another round of practice.

5. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Nice mate, keep going. Its all about learning the tools and techniques. After that its down to being artistic and explore your fantasy. Keep up the good work, if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask around on this forum. Looks like there is alot of helpful people around. Regards Anders

6. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

here is an update on my vanguard model , Im gonna try and do some nice detailing to get the cyber enhanced feel on the armour . I started with some lights in the six pack area but its not looking sharp enough so im still experimenting. I like the texture I made for the body suit

7. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

here is where im at now with the vanguard ,next I wanna do his belt properly and Im thinking now about the next steps to take in regards to more armour etc .. not sure where im gonna go with this..

8. ivanzu

ivanzu

You are going to have to bake this character onto low poly version of this character.Looks good so far.

9. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Hi ivanzu

For this competition the poly count (tris) permitted is 40000 , which is super high. This is my retopo model and not the sculpted version so currently my tris are 14962 and verts 9690 so I still have quit a few to spare for more items.

After the competition is finished I will look at reducing the model to acceptable counts and bake normal maps from the high poly version.

Thanks for the input ;)

10. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

small updates here .. I decided to do a different upper armour shape and redid the design for the texture. no spec map yet and partial normal map done. Added graphics to helmet and normal mapped , eyes textured cause those white eyes were spooky while working hehe and started on belt now and some belt props.

TODO : modeling arm pieces and back back rockets next .. and a gun , leg mounted?

11. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

looking better and better, keep up the good work mate. Looking forward to see some weapons :)