Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Porting Super Mario Crossover to Unity

So... I'm the creator of this crazy game.

I've been working on it for about 3 years and when I started I knew nothing about making a game. I'd like to get more serious about game development now, and it looks like Unity has a strong future and is a good tool for making games. For those reasons and a few others, I've been thinking about porting the game to Unity.

I was just wondering what people more familiar with Unity would have to say about this decision. Does anyone have any general comments? What kind of challenges do you think I might face? SMBC uses a very complicated graphics system that supports changing the skins during gameplay, so I expect that will be the most difficult part of the port.

I was also thinking about adding online multiplayer to the Unity version, and I have no experience with that. Do I need to make a decision about how I'm going to do the networking before starting the project, or is that something that can be easily added later if I get the game working with local multiplayer first? Also, will I be able to keep the file size down if I port the game to Unity? On Flash the game is 3.5 MB despite all of its graphics and music.

Super Mario Bros. Crossover is and will always be a free game, and I'm just looking for ways to make it the best possible game it can be. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Exploding Rabbit; 03-28-2012 at 05:10 PM.

2. Posts
    Ah! I love Super Mario Crossover!

For the most part, it shouldn't be too hard to port that game over to Unity - You could swap texture atlases on the fly for the different skins.

Your file size will definitely go up due to engine overhead, though. (An empty unity project without code stripping is somewhere around 13-15 mb if I recall correctly)

As far as multiplayer - you may want to figure that out beforehand. For something like your game though, Unity's default networking + a lobby of some sorts would work great.
    Last edited by Thinksquirrel; 03-28-2012 at 05:32 PM.

3. Location
    san francisco, ca
    hmmm, unity doesnt lend itself to 2d sprites that well. Dont get me wrong, it can be done, but it just wasn't designed for it. I would go with a 2d game engine, or better yet, make the engine your self in C++ and SDL or Allegro. Both libs have excellent support and I know first hand the the allegro message board is top notch (well, it was when i was still using it years ago...lol).

With a game like yours, the engine isn't crazy where you couldn't do it yourself (again). In fact, I'm sure thats how it was made in the first place when you made it in AS3. This is assuming you didn't use a 2d game engine in the first place. if you did, there are other C++ 2d engines out there that can help you (again).

BTW, your game is great!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Thinksquirrel View Post
    Your file size will definitely go up due to engine overhead, though. (An empty unity project without code stripping is somewhere around 13-15 mb if I recall correctly)
    I tested out a web player export of an empty project and it was only 6 kb. I also did a flash export and it's 2.2 MB, so those sizes are reasonable. What is code stripping?

Quote Originally Posted by kablammyman View Post
    hmmm, unity doesnt lend itself to 2d sprites that well. Dont get me wrong, it can be done, but it just wasn't designed for it.
    I think I figured out how to get the sprites working. I've seen some pretty good 2d games done with Unity.

5. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploding Rabbit View Post
    I tested out a web player export of an empty project and it was only 6 kb. I also did a flash export and it's 2.2 MB, so those sizes are reasonable. What is code stripping?

I think I figured out how to get the sprites working. I've seen some pretty good 2d games done with Unity.
    Ah, my apologies. Those sizes I gave are for mobile I believe. I don't think the web player supports any stripping of code (removing engine features that arent being used), but I haven't checked recently. Flash allows you to strip physics code, though.

For sprites, there are lots of great assets out there for pixel-perfect sprite rendering (SpriteManager, 2DToolkit, ex2D, etc). All of them have pros and cons, but they'll all do what you need if you want a head-start on a sprite system for Unity.

6. Actually I just found out a pretty big problem with the port. Unity's C++ plugins are not useable in the web player. All of the game's music and sound effects are emulated with a C++ library, so I wouldn't be able to use it on the web.

It seems strange that both Flash and Chrome allow C++ code on the web, but Unity doesn't because they say it's a security issue. Too bad.

7. Posts
    It seems strange that both Flash and Chrome allow C++ code on the web, but Unity doesn't because they say it's a security issue. Too bad.
    Dang, I love SMC and it would be fantastic to see a Unity port. If perhaps there was a workaround for the music libraries, I would recommend Unity over Flash for game development (and I would get to see one of my favorite games on one my favorite engine!) lol.
    Completely new to game development and Unity? don't know where to start? You don't have to be a n00b, click here and you'll be a pro in no time! The complete scripting series will bring you from zero to hero!

Really guys, get over it. Everyone these days wants a MMO not single player. I know we should start out small but times have changed. Anymore in the game industry no matter how small or large you have to go big or go home!

8. Posts
    So... I'm the creator of this crazy game.

I've been working on it for about 3 years and when I started I knew nothing about making a game. I'd like to get more serious about game development now, and it looks like Unity has a strong future and is a good tool for making games. For those reasons and a few others, I've been thinking about porting the game to Unity.
    If you are serious about getting serious, you should probably start a new project that doesn't contain stolen assets.

9. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adaman View Post
    If you are serious about getting serious, you should probably start a new project that doesn't contain stolen assets.
    It's a free fan game... there's nothing wrong with those (sure, it's a completely different story from a legal standpoint, but depending on the compan(ies), fan games like this are looked over). If he were attempting to monetize on it, that's a different story.

"Serious about game development" doesn't automatically equal "developing commercial products".

10. Quote Originally Posted by TehWut View Post
    If perhaps there was a workaround for the music libraries, I would recommend Unity over Flash for game development (and I would get to see one of my favorite games on one my favorite engine!) lol.
    It looks like someone is porting Game Music Emu to C#. I'll try and get in contact with the developer to see how long the porting will take.

I am doing an original, commercial product in addition to this game. SMBC is a fan game that I work on for the community and for the experience. I don't make any money off it. All fan games use "stolen" assets as you so kindly put it and most people enjoy them.

11. Posts

I am doing an original, commercial product in addition to this game. SMBC is a fan game that I work on for the community and for the experience. I don't make any money off it. All fan games use "stolen" assets as you so kindly put it and most people enjoy them.
    I didn't realize that you could infringe on others copyrights as long as call it a fan game and let people play it for free.

You don't make any money from the merchandise and ads on your site?

12. Posts
    I didn't realize that you could infringe on others copyrights as long as call it a fan game and let people play it for free.

You don't make any money from the merchandise and ads on your site?
    +1
    Nintendo can have you shut down at anytime, they pay lawfrims to search the net for people to sue about this stuff .
    http://beatquestgame.com

Everyone makes a classic platformer , here's mine

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QnJvc0xpdGUiXQ..

13. Location
    Pennsylvania
    SMC has gotten more press than most people on this forum can dream of. It's been featured on every major gaming blog under the sun, including Kotaku and Destructoid. If he were going to get any C&D's, he would've by now.

14. Location
    PA, US
    hmmm, unity doesnt lend itself to 2d sprites that well. Dont get me wrong, it can be done, but it just wasn't designed for it.
    I could easily set something up quickly, so I have to disagree

Now I do not have skype I dont like Skype but I had to break down and start using it

15. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legend411 View Post
    SMC has gotten more press than most people on this forum can dream of. It's been featured on every major gaming blog under the sun, including Kotaku and Destructoid. If he were going to get any C&D's, he would've by now.
    I also didn't realize that if you haven't gotten a cease and desist orders after getting lots of press that it will never happen. Therefore you can continue to infringe on the copyrights by porting the game to other systems.

16. Location
    Pennsylvania
    I also didn't realize that if you haven't gotten a cease and desist orders after getting lots of press that it will never happen. Therefore you can continue to infringe on the copyrights by porting the game to other systems.
    My point was, Nintendo undoubtedly knows about it by now, and they are known for turning the other cheek if it's not hurting anyone. If he gets shut down, it's not like he loses much. He already got exposure for making something cool, and he's not making any money off of the game itself.

Either way, It's nice of you to be so concerned about Jay's welfare and all, but certainly you're not silly enough to think you're the first person to point out that it's infringing on copyrights.

17. Location
    USA
    I love how people can't even enjoy a simple fan game without getting a stick up their ass about copyright. I played this game thanks to this thread, and had a lot of fun, which is more then I can say for most Unity projects posted on this forum.

Seriously, if he gets a cease and desist then it will happen, no need to speculate whether or not he will. You guys aren't lawyers and the fact that you pretend to be legal experts is pretty funny.

18. Posts
    Yep, not everyone is like Sega. They shut down a few projects and the fan creations were better than the originals or their contemporary counterparts. Instead of hiring or buying them out, they simply shut them down. Talk about wasted potential... Especially if you can't match them, at least try to "buy" them.

19. Location
    PA, US
    I love how people can't even enjoy a simple fan game without getting a stick up their ass about copyright. I played this game thanks to this thread, and had a lot of fun, which is more then I can say for most Unity projects posted on this forum.
    I agree but you know how people can be. They act like its their own work being stolen....

Now I do not have skype I dont like Skype but I had to break down and start using it

20. Posts
    Since you are here, and in fear of a derail, I am forced to ask a few questions about your game that has been bugging me for a long time:

1) How have you avoided getting a cease and desist from Nintendo?
    2) Where on Earth is my Kid Icarus?!?!?!?!
    3) Don’t bring console argument to this, the game IS called "crossover": Where is sonic?!?!?

Anyways on your OP (have not read the entire thread) Changing skins during play should be relatively easy. You will have to change your rendering logic drastically, though. Unity does not play the 2D game, and all "2D" games are using flat polygons with textures to simulate sprites. This does mean it’s extremely easy to swap out texture sets mid play, though.
    Starsman Games
    Follow Starsman Games on Twitter, Facebook or Google+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast