Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Temple Run for Android SHIPS!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by nsxdavid, Mar 27, 2012.

1. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

At long last, the port of the killer iOS game Temple Run to Android is done.

The iOS version has had 46 MILLION downloads so far. That's not a typo!!!

Originally written in ObjC/C++, the port to Unity took about three months of effort.

Features the great work by @ArenMook NGUI for User Interface:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/114833-NGUI-(Next-Gen-UI)-demo-amp-final-feedback-request

It's free! Grab a copy and check it out on your 'droid:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imangi.templerun

2. handsomePATT

handsomePATT

love this game!

3. SteveJ

SteveJ

Great success story. Well done :)

4. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Sweet looks great!

5. smitchell

smitchell

Ha! I always though this was done in Unity3D! I never knew it was until now, :).

I do wonder how you guys managed the procedural generation, any tips? :)

Thanks,

Scott.

6. AdamOwen

AdamOwen

Thanks for this, I've now lost my phone to my fiancee.

Great job though ;)

7. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

Congratulations, and awesome work! Love the iOS version.

8. Train

Train

I play`d the game and it is very cool. Really nice man.

9. drJones

drJones

i never knew this was unity either, great job i love this game (and anything remotely indiana jones : )

10. lockbox

lockbox

I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S, and when I select Objectives, Stats, and Options on the menu screen, and then press the in-game back button, instead of going back to the menu, the game may just shutdown. If it doesn't happen the first time, it happens on the 2nd or 3rd time. I tried this numerious times. It does not happen on the Store or More Coins screens.

I am on Android version 2.35. Specific model is SGH-I897 (that's an i, not a 1)

If you know someone with a Galaxy S, you should have him try it.

11. taumel

taumel

I think the game is boring but GeoDefense is a fantastic game.

Any plans on making a new one?

12. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

@lockbox Yeah there's a bug... on some devices it crashes in rendering. Unity has the project and is looking into it.

@taumel Yep, new geoDefense in the works... being done in UNITY!

David

13. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

By the way were over 1M downloads at this point. Currently at #3 on the Top New Free Apps. Aiming at the #1 spot, but of course ... you know... Angry Birds Space. (sigh)

14. Ethan

Ethan

I want to have your problems ... ;)

15. taumel

taumel

@nsxdavid
    Wow, great news! You don't wanna know how much time i put into playing this little game.

16. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Flying past 2M downloads now... it's a rocket!

Of course the credit for its rocket-ness goes to Keith and Natalia at Imangi, not me. I just ported this sucker. Okay, if the port sucked ass, it wouldn't be doing this well. For this I take some credit. But also Unity...

Porting from C++/ObjC to Unity was far from straightforward. There is a Unity-way of doing things and it doesn't quite match what you'd do if you wrote your own engine. But it does mean we can take it to a lot of places more easily. And that's key to or strategy.

One thing that made this all a lot easier is NGUI. Quite simply the best UI system for Unity. It's in the asset store. I'm not affiliated with that in anyway, so this is a straight-up endorsement.

I also made use of Merling Prefab Lab... though honestly its a shame that's even needed. I know Unity's working on it though. Various things like Editor++ and of course several plugins from Prime31 for Android specific things (endorsements all around!)

David

17. SevenBits

SevenBits

You guys are all lucky. I haven't begun iOS work yet, even though I have the license. Sigh...

18. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

It's not luck. Being one of those Mega Millions lottery winners.. that's luck. What you see here is nothing more than dogged persistence to create order out of chaos mixed with a lot of observation, a string of past failures to learn from, and a willingness to risk it all time and time again.

Want to know the secret? Finishing.

Bet most of you here have no trouble starting a new project, right? But notice how after awhile it gets harder and harder to make progress? And actually finishing something becomes way less tempting than just starting something new?

Now obviously if your idea isn't panning out, you have to know when to cut your losses.

But if you never finish something, I guarantee what you see happening here won't be in your future. Though finishing project won't guarantee riches, it's a necessary step in the that direction and an invaluable capacity one needs to develop.

The good news... it just takes determination, will and perseverance. Anyone can be a finisher. You just have to do it.

David

19. henry96

henry96

I got a feeling that Temple Run is sort of made with Unity . I was right!!! hahaha!!! Anyway, I love this game. It's really addicting!!!

20. SevenBits

SevenBits

Maybe. But regardless, even if you finished something, that doesn't mean it'll be a success. I mean, I see lots of Unity games that don't look like they have a lot of downloads. It's about getting your app out there to potential customers, and sometimes that fails.

Overall, great advice. I feel the same way. I hope you overtake Rovio and their birds... (also, no offense, but I never was a big fan of Temple Run; never downloaded it - but good luck all the same).

21. Avanger

Avanger

wow i love this game and never i think was maded with unity

22. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

@SevenBits

I specifically said that that finishing a project won't guarantee riches. Need to read closer, my friend. :)

I don't take offense at you not being a big fan of Temple Run. I do however, take general offense when anyone says they are not fond of something followed by "I never downloaded it." Ha!

Crossed 3MM downloads. Now #3 Top App, day 6. Stupid Angry Birds Space!!!!

23. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Wow thats great man. Angry birds space has over 10 million but you might catch up if you get a million a day.

24. ddesmond

ddesmond

Great game, even my 3 year old can play it, played it on iphone and android acer iconia tab 500 without issues.

25. Posly

Posly

Haha this game is awesome now that it's on android it's even better!

26. drJones

drJones

wow you made geodefense as well? another game i love to play (and swarm too) - great work can't wait for the new one : )

27. fivearchers

fivearchers

Actually a fun little game!

28. SevenBits

SevenBits

Okay, I'm sorry. Perhaps saying that was a bit rude.

Okay, so finishing doesn't guarantee riches, but it insures you get there, I suppose.

29. lockbox

lockbox