Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Realisticly could i become a game developer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TylerPerry, Mar 22, 2012.

1. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

So, today i had a meating about quiting Physics class at school, one principle at my school asked me what i want to do after i finnish school, i told him that i wanto become a game developer i think he was thinking that there is no way in hell that will happen, he told me that i should defently have a backup plan..... i realy dont, i dont wanto do anything other then become a game developer?

I generaly just am shiat at school, i get D in everything :( its just a pass.

Do you think i could become a game developer?

2. Tanel

Tanel

That's not a question random people on a forum can answer. You could become successful, and of course you can fail.
    So having a backup plan would be smart.

3. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

I dont see why not? I normally got good grades at school but I most of the time found it hard to focus because it was boring. I like video games, I also like making them So thats what i plan to do, yes as of right now its a hobby untill i get the resources needed to make it to the next level. But yeah you can do it. I dont see why not? you seem passionate about it. So go for it. However your teacher is right. It is good to have a back up plan because you never know what could happen. You cant be a game developer without the proper resources and for that you need money, which requires work. do you see where i'm going with this? Keep wanting to be a game developer but dont make it your only option.. because you could also have a hard time getting work as a game developer when your less expirenced...

4. adaman

adaman

I don't know you, but I wouldn't get the habit of quitting things when things get tough.

5. spinaljack

spinaljack

You should aim to get into a game design school like digipen. Find out the entry requirements and use those as a target for your school work.
    There are a number of advantages to going to game design schools not least of which being able to meet inspiring people and do networking with potential team mates and other people in the industry. It's a lot harder to go straight into game dev from a vacuum.

The second bit of advice I can give is to just start making games, the sooner the better, you'll learn quicker and it'll be impressive to show when you go for job interviews.

Also don't lose the dream, I did a bunch of other stuff after university before I became a game developer. You'll get there eventually if you really want it.

6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Use your own judgement!

Don't let other people to tell you what to do with your life, dawg!

Oh, and stick it to the man! >:·3

7. henry96

henry96

Not good in school doesn't mean you're still not good in game development. But no one can see the future of what's going to happen. So, I would say pick a Plan B in case something goes wrong. (You might never gonna use this plan B) .

Also, there are many things in game development like modelling, programming, texturing... What's your plan?

8. GiusCo

GiusCo

The problem is: whatever you do, you need to beat the competition, which is very fierce out there. Steely attitude and hard work will get you there, that's why you should really grow into them and aim at improving your grades at school, for the moment.

9. n0mad

n0mad

Titanty, don't take this roughly as it's not meant to be of any harm, but : Stop asking questions. Just perform the actions.
    When you'll have dedicated enough time towards a polished, finished game, you'll start to find all your answers.
    Good luck.

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

Probably not. To be successful, even just a little, requires that you take things seriously and see them through to the end. it doesn't sound like you can do that judging from your grades. You may want to work on that first.

11. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

You can be a game developer. You probably are already a game developer. Being a game developer requires making a game. Being a good game developer requires making a successful game. That being said, make some games!

12. vdek

vdek

This, you should focus on school first. You also need to work on your grammar and spelling, it's quite frustrating reading your posts titanty...

13. drewradley

drewradley

And sometimes funny. I was wondering how many Finnish schools there were in Australia. And what his principal thought about him talking to a principle. And the fact that it answered back. :) I suspect he does some of it on purpose. No way some one could use every single homonym without it being intentional.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  14. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

You should have a backup plan no matter your answer to that question, IMO.

That aside, I don't know if the guy in question actually knows anything about the field, and actually think he does not, but he perhaps did hit a lucky one there.

Game development is not extremely profitable for most people.

As an independent developer you are likely to suffer as much as an aspiring rock star (few make it to fame, few can survive of local performances, others forever fail at attempting to be super rock stars and refuse the profitable but low profile paths.)

As an employed game developer... well the pay tends to suck. For the most part, the same skills you use on game development pay a LOT more in many other industries. 3D modeling can get you a lot more in architecture, movie or TV industries. Coding is insanely more profitable in the banking, government and other boring corporate sectors. Writing.... lol?

Now mind you, this is US. I don't know how many game development studios are based off Australia. Even in the US in many places relocation may be mandatory to make a living on game development since there are only so many hotspots where there is regular hiring going on.

As the core question: Can you become a game developer? Since you stared toying around with Unity, how much time have you spent in your computer making a game instead of watching TV or playing games?

If you have the dedication, you may be able to make a living. But you need the dedication.

15. Meltdown

Meltdown

It's ironic that you'd want to quit physics at school, but you want to become a game developer.

Having physics is one of the few subjects at school that could help you understand games better, rather quit something else.

If you want to do game dev, go and do it. You are young and can get into it early. I'd also suggest making your own games in your own time and sell those. It will improve your skills and provide extra income.

I didn't give a flying crap about school. I barely passed. My sister was the one with all the high grades at school. Yet now I'm the software/game developer earning decent money and she's still stuck in a utility store earning peanuts. If you follow your dream and pursue it with all your might you WILL become successful. Just believe in yourself.

Regarding a backup plan.. diversify your skillset. I have 10 years software/web dev experience as well. If there's no game dev work, there is always people looking for software and websites.

16. VeraxOdium

VeraxOdium

Two things, dedication and potential.

If you truly want to do this you must be dedicated enough to achieve your goals. How much dedication it takes depends on your potential and what exactly you want to accomplish.

As far as potential goes you need to be able to learn fairly well, if you have a lot of trouble in school this could be a red flag. Do you have trouble because its boring, you don't care, its too hard?, etc. Do you have the same kind of attitude towards game dev?

If you want to be a solo indie developer you have to learn quick and be willing to spend long hours working towards this, day after day without question. You can't let anything stop or derail you, every reason in the world will be telling you, you're going to fail, you're not smart enough, you're too slow, this is too hard, this game sucks, you'll never succeed, you have to smash through that and keep going no matter what. There is no such thing as a successful developer who quit. People will always have something negative to say so you can't listen to that, however that doesn't mean they aren't sometimes right, introspection is very important if you're a one person show.

If you're not sure you're up to that task, maybe focus on just one aspect and look to join a team that is somewhere around your ability level.

In the end you have to be realistic and accurately assess yourself, what am I capable of vs. what can I apply that towards, nobody can decide that but you.

17. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I missed that bit... Physics is the one subject you should not drop. It's perhaps the single one course that will ever be useful as a game developer, followed by basic math and geometry.

18. drewradley

drewradley

I turned down a job at a game company for this very reason. As much as I wanted to work for them, I just couldn't afford the pay cut.

19. TheCasual

TheCasual

It was not to long ago in another thread that you quit your game project publicly , as well as quitting a course in school now? Quitting is quitting , track record is earned.

20. lockbox

lockbox

Sigh... Two videos everyone needs to watch:

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In reply to op:

you can be a game designer/developer but you strike me as a little naive on forums or wet around the ears. We've all been there, but you need to finish more games before deciding if you're a game developer or not ;) proof is in the pudding and you've got to make that pudding.

You're not impressing me if you're giving up courses at school.

22. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Have to agree. Giving-up is a response that becomes a habit - a default solution for intense stress. "I can't do this!" That's a fixed mindset.

To succeed - you need a growth mindset. That D is a challenge! It's hard, but you CAN do it. The others in class are ahead of you, so you have to work 3x as hard! Figure it out! Do whatever it takes.

The game industry is highly competitive, involving long hours and years of dedication. If you do not have the GRIT to rise to the challenge and get through a single physics class... then, you have already answered your own question.

Gigi.

23. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

You generally need a strong foundation in mathematical principals to do any sort of programming, plus the problem solving and logic skills you obtain from working in any general mathematical field. Also you may want to read this article that was linked to me in skype chat .

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.htm

24. VeraxOdium

VeraxOdium

Can I get the 11 minutes and 40 seconds of my life back from watching that first video? ADHD is fictitious? He's not qualified to say whether it is or not he eludes to, big surprise. I guess he should do a little research and discover that its likely caused by agricultural pesticides along with a slew of other conditions.

I know this new age hipster thinking of enlightenment is intoxicating but in the end it doesn't mean much. Yeah schools suck but the results are always the same. There are the majority of kids (and adults) who are mindless zombies going through life without much of a second thought about anything, and there are the minority of kids that can think for themselves and will succeed regardless of their circumstances. Sure it'd be great to herd the cattle through a better system, but to suggest all kids are geniuses that are simply dumbed down into trash through our current education systems is a bit of a stretch.

When I went to technical college one of the large classes I was in was a joke, every single student in there along with the teacher goofed off and wasted time, they barely learned anything. While they were doing that I was reading the books cover to cover by myself, I was in the lab experimenting. Years later I met up with a guy from that class, working as a cashier at a convenience store. He told me man that class sucked, I got ripped off, I didn't learn anything. Funny, I learned plenty, though I can understand why he would feel that way.

25. HolBol

HolBol

Dude, I've spent most of my life (since my uncle showed me pac-man when i was about 3 or 4) wanting to make games. I set out in life with that at the forefront of my mind. The GCSEs I took as my priority subjects were IT, Art, Maths and Physics, 3 things I now do at A Level here in the UK. It's tough work, and to be honest you gotta push through it. I've had to take massive breaks from game developement to study. But there's still time.

Have you learnt how to program? And if so, at what age did you start? For me, I was 13. i went to the library and got some books on HTML, XML and JavaScript. From there, I started making websites. Buying my first computer was a step up (tech wise a step down, it was an iMac G3 i bought for £35), but it gave me freedom. There, I could program all I liked. I moved from small javascript games, to flash games, and then to modding. Through modding games like the Marathon series, Quake 2, Several GTA Games (I know, I shouldn't have been playing them, but oh well. It's a good series.), and Star Wars Battlefront 2, I built up level design and texturing skills, managing to buy myself a photoshop license from there (it was discounted at the time, lucky me). Through starting to help other people mapping, I was put in touch with a team I work with now, and from there found Unity, which I've now been using for almost 2 years. Of course, my skills have progressed since, but before I babble on to much, what I'm trying to say is if you are set on being a games developer, make sure every choice you make takes you there. Game Dev is my favourite thing, in practice and in theory, because it's so involved, and you get to see how people do things like we do, and learn the magic tricks and everything like that.

You've got to, as VeroxOdium said, make sure you dedicate a lot of time to your passion. Sure, have a social life, you need that, but get to know what to do. Get to know the wills and ways of it all. Sure, your grades might need picking up if you want to go on to University in the future to study it, but if you don't get to the Uni course, there's always an indie community. You can teach yourself.

All I can say to you is try the best you can. Focus on school, but focus on your passion too. Don't let one detract from the other though. Everyone can do anything (within reason) if they put their mind to it.

So really, it's good luck. Just work for it, and you can get there.

26. kablammyman

kablammyman

Some bad news. At this stage in your life, you don't seem to have any determination. If anything, thats one thing you need to make it in this business (or any business really). You need to it push yourself to learn new things, finish games and projects, and keep on going when you dont get hired at all the many job interviews you may be lucky enough to get.

Game devs look for people who complete things, this includes SCHOOL and GAMES. Nobody likes a quitter, or someone who is undisciplined. How can they trust you to work during crunch time? Or under a time deadline? How do they know you wont just quit your job when things get tough?

Until you complete school and some games, you prob wont find work with someone else...and seeing how you don't finish your own games, you cant even call yourself an indie game dev either. I mean c'mon, you have unity to do ALL the heavy lifting. You arnt writing C code in DOS using interrupts to set a 320x200 video mode! You dont have to write your own sound playing code, pcx image loading routines, image blitting routines, double buffering systems, etc. Just make a game!

The good news is that you are young have the ability to turn this around and get your dreams on track! One day this could be an inspirational story you tell to some other youngster who is in the same position you are in. However, its all up to you. No matter what positive or negative things people say, in the end, you are the only one who can make things happen.

Henry Ford said, “Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.”

27. Redbeer

Redbeer

I think this is one of those, "If you have to ask, the answer is probably no.", type of threads.

28. lockbox

lockbox

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

29. Farfarer

Farfarer

Of course, you can.

"Game Devloper" is very vague, though. I'd pick a certain discipline within that group (graphics programmer, network programmer, designer/scripter, fx artist, character artist, environment artist, tech artist, etc...). Unless you want to handle a lot of that yourself and go for a more indie approach... which is far harder.

Also, I'd take physics at school. It's useful knowledge in ALL disciplines of game dev. Same with maths.

As a frame of reference, it took me maybe 5 years of solid practice (every evening night after school and work, all weekend, 'til very small hours of every morning) to get to the point where I could get a job as a game artist. And I'm still not very good at it.

30. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I think for this field of work, qualifications mean jack S***.

I have just drop AS mathematics purely because its just too had for me, I was good at D2 (Which was djinkskes theroem and stuff like bubble sort, shuttle sort and all that crap) but I just couldnt do the algebreic side of it. I also failed my computing exam last month, purely because I didn't understand the questions, although I am one of the strongest in the class. By the end of this year I am aiming to have AS A-B grades in Graphics, Media Studies and Computing. then next year continue them three to an A A-B grade along with an AS in design technoligy.

If your asking, 'Can I make games' then yes. you can. you dont need qualifications to make games, you learn everything by yourself and then you can get the jobs you want threw showing what you can do, mainly portfolio based.

I dont know if this is the same for a programmer, but in my opinion, it is certainly true for the graphical side, if I had it my way i would never have gone to college, I would stay at home and develop my skills and hopefully one day get rich :)

On another point your a lot like me, I generally worry wether I will make it or not, but the only way of finding out is going to be perseverance, A great thing that boost my morale is when you execute a product, execution is a key thing. If you dont execute anything you do and dont get it finished, you will slowly start to feel like its not for you, if you say you're doing something, Finish it. it makes you feel a whole lot better
    Note: I have not once been offered a job on qualification basis, its all based on what I have done in the past. goes to show.

Its not what you know to get the job, its who you know.

+1

-Charlie

31. Meltdown

Meltdown

Don't hippos spend their days wallowing around in water being wet around the ears?

Sorry couldn't resist :D

32. SevenBits

SevenBits

Maybe...

You realized you spelled S*** as 'shiat', right? If you're really having difficulties, talk it over with your parents. Generally they'll want to help you (at least, I hope so :)).

I would have a backup plan. At least try to do well in school so you can make it into college. Otherwise, you probably won't earn much in your future...

33. Meltdown

Meltdown

I think he really meant 'shiaaaat' which is the less offensive way of saying 'S***'.

He had a spelling mistake in the thread subject, telling me you didn't pick that up ? :D

34. rik338

rik338

Titany it would be really smart to have a back-up plan. Since i am one of thoose unlucky persons, my application for an game art education just got declined.

35. SevenBits

SevenBits

I actually did see that: Realisticly instead of 'realistically'. However, I felt it wasn't necessary to point that out.

36. drewradley

drewradley

Just the one?

37. Meltdown

Meltdown

There is only one spelling mistake in the title :D

38. Morning

Morning

But I has to be with a capital letter.

39. Meltdown

Meltdown

Aha! Didn't pick that one up, well spotted.

40. drewradley

drewradley

Heh. I made a reading mistake in your post. :)

41. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Heres the thing. I have had a few careers in my life. My most recent one was being a successful producer in the music industry. I got to hang out with famous people, big business people, I got a real taste of the whole thing. It took me a few years but I realized, for the most part, I dislike most of it, and all the people involved. I have learned that yes, it is important to have a backupplan. And mine is gamedesign. I am still running a recording studio right now, but I am gradually working my way into game design. But if you are truly passionate about something, PUT ALL YOUR EGGS INTO ONE BASKET. If you think you have the talent and motivation, YOU DONT NEED SCHOOL. Theres this amazing technology called THE INTERWEB. Its this place where all of mankind's knowledge ever conceived comes together in one place. School is a huge waste of money if you are motivated enough to teach urself. People might say, "but certificates and scholarships, bla bla". If you work is truly amazing and you market it and network properly, it will speak for itself. Theres my little piece of advice for the day. :)

42. Endgame

Endgame

Ty, you certainly can become a game developer, but not if you quit when the going gets tough. My worst mark in highschool ever was Physics, and go figure that is what I majored in at University. Don't get too discouraged, you just have to slog through it. You will notice people picking on your grammar and spelling, and there is a reason for that: your's is not very good. In the real world, communicating effectively is critical to success in almost everything you do. I saw some of your modelling and texturing and I was impressed, but try not to get on the "I don't need to spell correctly to draw" train.

My highschool had plenty of computer based courses, from network admin to art, autocad, and programming. I may have been in the lucky few but your school may have stuff like this also. Go back and talk to your principal and elaborate more on your wish to be a 'game designer'. Discuss how you want to develop your computer modelling and programming skills, and he may be able to help, rather than brush you off as another "idea man" game developer. If your highschool doesn't have such courses, showing him that there is interest in it can help to bring those courses to your school.

Even if you have a hard time with the school work, especially in the important computer related subjects like math and physics, just force yourself to get through it, you will see improvement. remember these two quotes from two great men: "I am that which must ever surpass itself" - Neitzche, and "C's and D's get degrees! " - my graduating class in physics.

43. Farfarer

Farfarer

*cough*

;)

44. Endgame

Endgame

Risky business critiquing grammer. :D

45. StormGamer

StormGamer

i´d say totaly YES
    you are one of the best developers ive seen on this forum!

46. virror

virror

Of course, i think you are talented, but you still need some more experience.
    Believe in yourself! Also as other ppl here stated, you need to be able to focus on a game, finish a game.
    Last thing, don't count on that you will make a lot of money as a game dev, you probably won't. You should choose what you want because you love doing it.

47. Somedays

Somedays

the world is yours. anything is possible. its all up to you.

48. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

That's a good saying.

49. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

Really??

Disclaimer: I am not saying I am at all better than titany but I do question the statement! What brings you to such a conclusion?

50. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I still wanto 100% become a game developer, my plan is to become a artist for a company then make games in my spar time untill i make a good one then become a indy dev :)

My backup plan is to get into film making, no idea why if but its a long way from how much i wanto become a game dev.

About my spelling and grammer i'm rather sure i have some kind of disablity, i think i have dislexia :( never been diagnosed but an online test told me i have it rather bad, but i can talk well and allot :p