Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Fog of War - Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by fholm, Mar 21, 2012.

1. fholm

fholm

Fog of War - Desktop

Price: 25$
    Link: http://u3d.as/content/fholm/fog-of-war-desktop-/2M4

This package will shroud your game in mysterious and great looking fog of war effect. It comes with three different types of fog: Smooth (Indie + Pro), Blocky (Indie + Pro) and Blurred (Pro). Supports multiple simultaneous fog revealers. Interracts properly with particle effects. Works with both perspective and orthographic cameras. Supports line of sight checking and conditional rendering of game objects based on reveal status.

The package contains a 16 page manual also.

For a video preview of all features and thorough setup instructions, check out the three preview and setup videos:

Screenshots

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. fholm

fholm

3. Ayrik

Ayrik

Perfect! I'll be purchasing this next week. It looks great.

4. Spyd3r

Spyd3r

Combine this with your mobile edition and the package would be more appealing. Looks to be an interesting asset though.

5. fholm

fholm

Sorry, but not going to happen :) They are both the only professional solution that exists for unity for mobile and desktop fog of war and will be sold separately for now.

6. fholm

fholm

7. diablo

diablo

I purchased this as soon as it came out; awesome package! I'm surprised I don't see more posts here, but I would suspect it's because this thread is getting lost in all the other asset store threads, and it doesn't help that the forum search functionality is broken (try doing a search for fog of war and nothing comes up). But I guess another reason is that it works, so if it isn't broken, there's no reason to post, lol.

Two thumbs up, and I think I may end up using your RPG Controller Camera implementation instead of mine, as well as the Ultimate Minimap. I'll purchase those when I get home, but you should really consider raising the price for all these products... they're ridiculously low!

8. elias_t

elias_t

I will buy this in the next days.

fholm, as I understand its cheaper to use your line of sight method then simple raycasting?

9. fholm

fholm

elias_t: yes the line of sight I do in the fog of war is relatively cheap, correct. But that is also because it's more coarse grained then what you can do with a raycast (the max resolution is the size of one node in the fog).

10. AdamWaters

AdamWaters

fholm,

Do the explored areas keep track of what was last seen?
    For example, a player scouts a town, the unit sees 3 buildings. The scout leaves, then some one destroys all of the buildings. Would the grey area show the 3 buildings as the player originally saw them? Would the buildings disappear as soon as the player walks away? Would the buildings remain there, and then disappear when they are destroyed?

11. fholm

fholm

This is up to you as the developer, how you want your game to work. This asset doesn't make any assumptions and lets you program it like you want it.

12. timjwiese

timjwiese

Hi I just purchased this from the asset store. Great product does what I need it to do and more.

One small thing, I was wondering if there was anyway you could create another shader model that allowed a tileable texture to put on the fog. So instead of just black it would reduce the opacity of the tiled texture.

I've been trying with no luck to create something like this, as I have never created a shader before and only have limited experience with coding.

13. fholm

fholm

timjwiese: If I understand you correctly you want to be able to apply a fog/cloud/something texture to the fog of war to make it appear less static and more like actual fog, or at least something with some texture and not a solid color?

If I understood you correct, this is in the works ... but I am very busy with real life responsibilities (having my first child in just a little over a month) and day time job right now and I've had to cut down the development I do on my own time to literally zero.

14. timjwiese

timjwiese

ahh good to hear it's in the works! That sounds exactly like what I am looking for, just the ability to specify a texture instead of a color.

I can wait for a solution, no hurry. I understand having almost 0 time.

Thanks!

15. fholm

fholm

Hey!

So a quick update, I got some question about the performance of the fog of war, so I decided to setup a simple test, the fog area here is 1024x1024, with a render plane size of 256 x 256 with a quad resolution of 0.5, here's all the settings:

As you can see this is running without the LoS checker, as it's relatively expensive (nor is it really needed for RTS-style games with a lot of units, as LOS there is in 99% cases only based on height, for example StarCraft 2).

I decided to spawn 256 units in a random location and let them walk to another random location over a minute, you can see the FPS of this running here:

(Fullscreeen version: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19877504/fogsize_1024_units_256.png)

Running at 60 fps here, but this is not the whole story, if we check the profiler, we will see even better results and the real cause for the 60 fps:

(Fullscreeen version: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19877504/fog_of_war_performance.png)

So basically, with 256 units moving on screen the fog of war is only taking about 7% of the total frame time, the real culprit is just the stalling that happens for us to sit comfortably at 60 fps and not spike to much.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  16. rejwan1

rejwan1

Hey, quick question - I saw that if you move the camera around, different areas will be revealed in the FOW, depending on your perspective.
    Is this correct?

17. fholm

fholm

Not sure how you mean, the fog of war will follow the camera around.

18. Muuskii

Muuskii

Hi, I'm considering purchasing this. Thing is I am working on a multiplayer game with authoritative servers using the built in Unity networking. (I have plans to change that closer to release)

At first I thought that you can have enemy players' position not revealed by simply sending last known location on all characters whose fog revealer says they can't be seen. This is kind of tricky in itself because afaik NetworkViews transmit to all clients*, but besides that, what I really wanted to know was if you could make a video showing how to setup the fog on the server side, creating several fog planes for each team. Especially if a single character needs more than one fog revealer, for example if there were more than two teams or the game was a FFA.

If you don't have time for more than a quick post about my question I understand.

Thank you.

*Edit: SetScope is awesome. :p

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  19. ArenMook

ArenMook

This package is fantastic. After watching the tutorial videos and trying the demo scene, I simply copy/pasted the fog into my own game, tweaked the settings a bit, and just like that, it was done. I then proceeded to modify the source code to make it more suitable for my kind of game (made the auto reveal radius uncover the map but not make it visible) -- again, very easy. Well done.

20. retypeNick

retypeNick

Real nice!

Probably gonna get this later this week.

21. airshark

airshark

[to fholm]

first your package is awesome!!!!!

and perfect works.

but i want another thing.

it's FADE IN!

how do i make fade in?

of course use your package.

plz help!

waiting your answer.

22. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

23. fholm

fholm

The assumption is that it's top-down, as in Diablo style RPG or "standard" RTS view. You will most likely find that most (all?) fog of war assets on the store are top-down only.

24. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

You may want to Explain that in your Assets Information so people will be aware of this. Do you know of anyway I may adapt your system to a 3D Camera Setup?

25. TheTaopaipai

TheTaopaipai

Hi!
    First thank you for this fog of war package, it makes my life much more simple since I'm a beginner with Unity :)
    I use a script to zoom my camera in and out, and I also use your RTSCamera script to move it around.
    But I always get the same problem when moving the camera:
    Could you help me resolve this please?
    Again, thanks

26. TheTaopaipai

TheTaopaipai

Is anyone else facing the problem?

27. TheTaopaipai

TheTaopaipai

up! :)
    Or is my question irrelevant?

28. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

If I crank the settings down in this asset...any chance it will work on mobile? I can't afford both this asset and the mobile specific. My target is iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

29. rxmarccall

rxmarccall

Did this asset get pulled from the store? The links no longer work... assuming this asset is now dead?