Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Select Android SDK root Folder.

Discussion in 'Android' started by voltage, Mar 21, 2012.

1. voltage

voltage

So my initial problem was resolved in an earlier thread, It turns out the SDK Manager required me to activate Administrator rights, regardless of my current administrator rights. Meh.

Anyway, when I (Build Run) my application through unity, a window will pop up, prompting me to save my .apk file in my project folder, afterwards, another window will pop up, prompting me to 'Select an Android SDK root Folder'. Could anyone explain to me why this is happening? I've looked up guides to exporting your app, but no video displayed this window as mine will.

MajuPropertindo likes this.
  2. tigerfoot

tigerfoot

Just select Android SDK root folder. It should be something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk

Or go in Unity -> Edit -> Preferences -> External tools and put in android sdk folder path there.

3. TeotiGraphix

TeotiGraphix

Are you saying that every time you Build Run you are getting the sdk selection window? Event when you have selected it prior?

Mike

4. bleater

bleater

I'm getting the same problem. The Android SDK setting doesn't seem to "stick". I get prompted each part way through an Android build each time. If I manually selected the Android SDK root, it just silently fails with nothing appearing in the output folder.

At least an error dialog might help diagnose things here...

lweller2020 likes this.
  5. inkbirdstudios

inkbirdstudios

did any one figure this out, im also stuck on this problem

lweller2020 likes this.
  6. bleater

bleater

Yes I did. The problem became more apparent when I tried to actually launch the Android SDK Manager, and that failed. I couldn't resurrect the Android SDK's config, so I did a complete reinstall of the Android SDK, plus an upgrade of the Java SDK. At that point I was able to run the Android SDK Manager, and select it in Unity without error.

naviln and Greenfriendly like this.
  7. Tosi999

Tosi999

Im having the same problem,I tried all the ways but still stuck

lweller2020 likes this.
  8. Jinyi4131

Jinyi4131

Same problem here. I'll try to re-install my Android SDK and maybe Java as well and come back when i figure something out

9. Vibhansh

Vibhansh

Same problem here . Please Help!

10. scritchy

scritchy

same problem here, particularly when running in batch mode from commandline. watching the relevant files, it looks as if the android sdk path is getting cleared in the editor prefs file by something, i don't know what. anybody else have luck?
    i'm not sure why reinstalling the android sdk would matter, since if i select it each time it works just fine.

11. tiz777

tiz777

Had a similar problem: Unity didn't allowed me to select the android-sdk path.
    I solved this (on Windows) by running (as administrator) the SDK Manager located in android-sdk folder and then I simply installed all the selected packages (without system images, I just didn't needed it).
    Hope can help someone :)

12. Arq-IGGS

Arq-IGGS

I could!!!!! Escribiré en Español.
    1. Mostrar archivos ocultos (según esta página http://appleweblog.com/2006/07/mostrar-archivos-ocultos-en-finder)
    2. Aparece la ruta ddl SDK cuando abrimos el SDK manager /Users/"user"/Library/Android/sdk
    3. Al mostrar los archivos ocultos podemos ver la carpeta Library/Android/sdk
    4. Arrastrar la carpeta SDK al panel de accesos rápidos del finder
    5. Al hacer el build de android, dar click a la carpeta sdk que pusimos en el panel de accesos rápidos del finder.

Espero les funcione!!!!!

nik3011 and JPueyo like this.
  13. BroGaming

BroGaming

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Android\sdk1

14. masacre235

masacre235

[Quote = "BroGaming, post: 1938927, miembro: 665784"] C: \ Users \ Usuario \ AppData \ Local \ Android \ sdk1 [/ quote]

C: \ Users \ Usuario \ AppData \ Local \ Android \ sdk1 (mostrando todos los archivos oculto funciona al 100%)

Martinez-Vargas and dibyenshu like this.
  15. rash rider

rash rider

same problem

16. rash rider

rash rider

i resolved it download the android studio and open it
    • In Android Studio, click SDK Manager in the toolbar. and done
    • now go to unity edit preferences C: \ Users \ administrator \ AppData \ Local \ Android \ sdk

17. Dav36id

Dav36id

Excellent bro!

18. AnsonMustang

AnsonMustang

help still needed...
    I have installed all of the things yet I still can't locate my sdk root folder

19. ngothanhtai

ngothanhtai

Hi,

I have this problem on Windows and solved it by following these steps:
    1. After installing Android SDK, open Android SDK Manager
    2. Check to install
    • Tools/Android SDK Platform-tools
    • Android Support Library
    • Google USB Driver
    After install those things, Unity can detect Android SDK folder.

Hope this help!

RediGames and Yurasick like this.
  20. writteninheaven

writteninheaven

install the platform tools in the sdk manager from android studio. my sdk location was listed at the top. I had to just type the path into the spot where you browse for the folder cuz I couldn't find the location from folder to folder.

21. greatlion

greatlion

This worked for me ))

22. mrdennys

mrdennys

Solved too.

Thanks!!!

23. gearworks

gearworks

Had this problem using commandline builds on osx: Unity "forgot" the placement of the sdk once the machine was rebooted.
    I solved it by placing the sdk in a "Shared" folder (instead of somewhere inside a user folder)

24. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

Thanks

25. rendermouse

rendermouse

This worked for me after I had installed the Android Studio:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Android\sdk

lermy3d likes this.
  26. sIothman

sIothman

I went to edit ->Preferences -> External Tools
    So, in Android, SDK fill with: C:/Users/"UserNameWithoutQuotations"/AppData/Local/Android/android-sdk.
    And in JDK: C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jdk1.7.0_71

Worked, I have only to try the apk on device. :)

luma2057 and fondemzelgames like this.
  27. Timberduckk

Timberduckk

Solved my problem.

28. csam11000

csam11000

thanks man!!!

29. josman90

josman90

Nice comment! finally on the money, thanks

30. Ederdoski

Ederdoski

ME SALVASTEEEEE !

31. allenwithno3

allenwithno3

i installed the Adroid Studio and finished PATH and CLASSPATH

32. Gerard89

Gerard89

Puedes buscar la dirección abriendo Android Studio- Preferences- Appearence y Behaviour - System Settings - Android SDK. Copias la direccion que te aparece. En mi caso es /Users/gerard/Library/Android/sdk porque gerard es mi usuario. Luego en Unity , en preferencias das en External tools y donde dice SDK pegas la dirección. Lo digo de esta forma porque en Mac no deja buscar la dirección cuando haces build porque la carpeta lybrary esta oculta, intente desocultarla pero aun así no dejaba desde build, por eso di el procedimiento anterior y así funcionó correctamente.

33. Farresto

Farresto

When I tried selecting the Android SDK folder, it basically re-opened the explorer window pop up (like if I selected the wrong folder).

I re-installed the Android SDK, but found that it did not solve my issue.

In the end, I discovered that I had accidentally added the JDK folder within the Android SDK folder. I moved the JDK folder out of the way, and it solved the issue.

It seems Unity doesn't like extra folders in there :)

34. RyanLBuchanan

RyanLBuchanan

I've tried all of the above suggestions - with several version of unity including 5.3.3, 5.5.0 & 5.6.0.
    Downloaded NDK 10e
    deleted from command line & reinstalled both Unity & Android Studio/SDK
    And used preferences - external tools to set paths ...
    Still getting issue: check SDK path
    I've set up folder pathway to "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Android\sdk1" on my PC
    & I've set a similar path on my Mac.
    Neither are working.
    I'm very new to developing but, please guys, is it this difficult?
    Is there something simple that I missed, please?

35. jimver04

jimver04

luma2057 and UnityLighting like this.
  36. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@jimver04 this is not the correct way to solve the issue. You must update your Unity to the latest patch release, and the SDK Tools in Android studio.

luma2057 likes this.
  37. DoenitZ

DoenitZ

@jimver04 Thank you for this. That IS the effective way of solving this issue when you can't update your unity version in large projects that involve a huge amount of external plugins that will broke when you upgrade your project (and where you can't spend the time to do that as you are running against time to get a build done)
    But bear in mind, that this can break your android studio needs for the SDK. You can later update to 25.2.2 version after doing this to ensure that everything will work afterwards

If instead, you can do a clean update to the latest unity version, then do that instead, as Yuri mentioned

In any case, here are the links, that are in the Stack Overflow question, in case that someone needs them later
    Windows: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r25.2.3-windows.zip -

MacOSX: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r25.2.3-macosx.zip -

Linux: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r25.2.3-linux.zip

38. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

@Yury-Habets

Hi, I've just noticed a strange problem when using latest Unity and latest Android SDK tools. When building the project it creates a different AndroidManifest.xml, with duplicate permissions and also adds an unnecessary
    READ_PHONE_STATE permission. That's how I noticed this bug.

I suspect latest Unity fix that allows the use of new SDK tools is the culprit.

I was able fix that by reverting back to the above version: tools_r25.2.3-macosx.zip

I've tested that with both Unity 5.5.3p4 & 5.6.1p1 with exact same project. When using tools 25.2.3 it creates a correct manifest but if I use 26.0.2 (latest) manifest is bugged.

I'm attaching a zip file with two manifest files (taken from StatingArea) for the exact same project and the only difference is the tools version.

Attached Files:

39. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@PixelEnvision this is extremely interesting. Is it the same for you on an empty project? Maybe the new tools enable some new functionality in your project? Maybe you enabled some new services?

Since I've seen something like this mentioned - can you please submit a bug report? We definitely don't want this permission.

40. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

@Yury-Habets thanks for the reply.

I haven't tested it with an empty project and unfortunately there is no bug report as the project is very big and I didn't want to submit one without a repo. But the project uses TapDaq ad mediator with Unity & Vungle video rewards plus Google Game Services. So, it's a bit messy in the Plugins/Android folder. But everything complies & works fine with 25.2.3. And for above files, I even didn't close the unity editor. I've just replaced the tools folder and re-build.

On another note, I'm currently using Unity 5.5.4 and yesterday I've tried upgrading Android SDK Tools to latest (26.0.2) and I couldn't build the apk with a merge error. Reverted back to 25.2.3 and it's working now. So, it looks like that problem doesn't seems to be fully fixed now.

41. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Could you share your build error with 26.0.2?

On the permission - we could try to handle your big project. Otherwise, after building your project with SDK tools 26, examine Temp/StagingArea folder, search for the manifests and try to find mentions of READ_PHONE_STATE.

42. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

@Yury-Habets

I've upgraded SDK Tools to 26.0.2 and this is the build error using Unity 5.5.4p1

First line
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Error: Error while saving blame file, build will continue
    2. Error: The prefix "tools" for attribute "tools:overrideLibrary" associated with an element type "uses-sdk" is not bound.
    4. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()
    Second Line (logged twice)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. AndroidSDKToolsException: Unable to merge android manifests. See the Console for more details.
    2. UnityEditor.Android.AndroidSDKTools.DetectErrorsAndWarnings (System.String logMessages, System.String errorMsg)
    3. UnityEditor.Android.AndroidSDKTools.RunCommandInternal (System.String javaExe, System.String sdkToolsDir, System.String[] sdkToolCommand, Int32 memoryMB, System.String workingdir, UnityEditor.Android.WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg)
    4. UnityEditor.Android.AndroidSDKTools.RunCommandSafe (System.String javaExe, System.String sdkToolsDir, System.String[] sdkToolCommand, Int32 memoryMB, System.String workingdir, UnityEditor.Android.WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg)
    5. UnityEditor.Android.AndroidSDKTools.RunCommand (System.String[] sdkToolCommand, Int32 memoryMB, System.String workingdir, UnityEditor.Android.WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg)
    6. UnityEditor.Android.AndroidSDKTools.RunCommand (System.String[] sdkToolCommand, System.String workingdir, UnityEditor.Android.WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg)
    7. UnityEditor.Android.AndroidSDKTools.RunCommand (System.String[] sdkToolCommand, UnityEditor.Android.WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg)
    8. UnityEditor.Android.AndroidSDKTools.MergeManifests (System.String target, System.String mainManifest, System.String[] libraryManifests, UnityEditor.Android.WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit)
    9. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.Tasks.GenerateManifest.MergeManifests (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context, System.String targetManifest, System.String mainManifest)
    10. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.Tasks.GenerateManifest.Execute (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context)
    11. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessRunner.RunAllTasks (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()
    Regarding your suggestion, it was the first thing I did. I've scanned both full unity project folder & Temp/Staging area folders but there were 0 references to READ_PHONE_STATE anywhere including the other manifests in the sub folders.

EDIT: I've also scanned for device id calls in project as I know it can add this permission and there weren't any. But again, same project builds fine with the older SDK tools, welcome to the twilight zone. :)

43. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

The "Unable to merge manifests" entry should be longer and contain the details.

On the permission - can you please submit a bug report? It sounds to me there's a bug in Android tools. Thanks!

44. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

It was all there there is for the merge error. I'll try to build a repo case and submit bug report for both...

45. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

The difference between tools 25.x and 26.x is that newer versions feature new Manifest merger class, which we are using because the old one is no longer available.

46. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

@Yury-Habets I've just submitted a bug report with a repo project for the merge error, Case 924792

I'll now try to make a repo case for the permission issue...

47. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

@Yury-Habets Bug report for the permission issue also submitted with a repo project, Case 924794

Btw, it truncated so READ_PHONE_STATE is not visible on the title.

48. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

PixelEnvision likes this.
  49. 19cruz93

19cruz93

C: / Usuarios / PC / AppData / Local / Android / sdk

mita es la ruta

50. Greenfriendly

Greenfriendly

Finally, this worked! Kudos!