Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie Devs in the Living Room?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MatthewJCollins, Mar 19, 2012.

1. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Hey guys!

So a while back I read up on Google planning to release their GES (Google Entertainment System) soon, which could eventually allow access to the Android market. Now I see Apple is gearing up for something similar with the iPad and the iOS market. Are indie devs that are building mobile games soon going to find themselves moving into the living room as well?

I'm curious what people think about this next console war that's gearing up, and the possibility that indie devs might actually get a shot at a market which has traditionally been out of reach. Do you think Google or Apple will be successful at bringing their respective markets to the living room to compete with consoles? Will the old business model of charging developers 50k a seat to develop for consoles go the way of the dinosaurs in favor of open marketplaces?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-19-the-new-ipad-apples-trojan-horse

2. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Keep in mind that even though we can all put our apps on the markets- the big publishers still dominate in a very real way .
    I could imagine something like a indie collective in which indie devs pull their resources together to promote their games...

3. TehWut

TehWut

Damn! Soon they'll have control of our government....

Still kind of surprised that they haven't come up with a decent controller system though....I hardly doubt any worthwhile titles will come out (worthwhile being "hardcore") with those pathetic touch controls.