Search Unity

Android starter problem, Help!

Discussion in 'Android' started by belal, Mar 19, 2012.

1. belal

belal

I finished my game, problem is I cant seem to port it onto Android, I downloaded APK, SDK and eclipse. Got the emulator working, I can even get the unity to build and run, It came up with
    INSTALL_FAILED_MEDIA_UNAVAILABLE,

Plus with different errors at different times, i fixed all of them except the one mentioned above, than i just simply made a cube with a new project and tried to port it to android just to check if it is working, But when i click on the game icon inside android emulator, I get this message "Unfortunatly, Game has stopped" the same error as the initial game!

Very frustating, I have spent 2 days trying to google and figure this out, Btw I am completely new at this, so please dumb it down for me if you can

<3 thanks for listening!

2. TeotiGraphix

TeotiGraphix

Hi,

If you could install the USB drivers for your device, you could have your device plugged in and install straight to it from unity. Using the emulator is a waste of time IMHO. Do you have your device working on USB?

Mike

3. belal

belal

Unfortunately Mike, i dont own an android device, I just have apple products, getting mac mini this weekend for developing on them. I was hoping I could get the game working on android and fish out any scripting problems, however I got one of my friends bringing in his android to test drive after reading your coment, hopefully that will fix the problem

Lastly, how different is android scripting? my game works perfectly on webplayer and PC, do i have make some changes to fit android?
    Really new to scripting it self, so android is completely different field for me

Thanks again man, really appreciate the help!

4. TeotiGraphix

TeotiGraphix

Hi,

Android is really no different from Unitys perspective. I am sure there are some gotchas but on the whole I assume your code will work as expected using the same iOS code. I haven't developed for iOS so I am guessing here but Unity has done a good job at trying to keep implementation as abstract and polymorphic as possible IE multitouch/accelerometer etc.

It is worth skimming the manual for iOS and Android to see if there are any noted differences.

Mike

5. TeotiGraphix

TeotiGraphix

Hi,

I just noticed reading the question again I didn't actually answer your question correctly. :) You didn't ask about iOS, you asked about pc/web verses Android.

There are differences with controls, performance, shaders etc. You will definitely need to port some code to use whatever type of navigation you decide with in unity since arrow keys and mice are not around. Check out Unity's conditional compile directives. They allow you to have code in the same class that get compiled to different targets based on the build settings you are currently compiling.

My advice is don't run into it. Sit back and think how you can use your existing code base and "what" needs to be swappable and adjust the design with patients. It will always pay off down the road. Like I said most of what you will change has to do with controllers of Input.

Mike

6. belal

belal

Great advice Mike, Thanks again.

7. belal

belal

I have a new problem, When ever i try to port i get this message

The tree JapaneseMaple must use the Nature/Soft Occlusion shader.

when i change the shadow from mobile shaders to the one above it gives me a new error

Shader is using clip instruction (usually caused by alpha test). It might cause problems on some Qualcomm/Adreno drivers.
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

This is driving me crazy,I have no clue what they are asking, i tried to remove the tree but it showed the same message, even after i deleted them from my project file it kept saying i was missing files for the tree.

Please help!

8. tigerfoot

tigerfoot

This might help but maybe that shader is not supported on mobile.

Btw, dont know if you figured out problem with emulator, but i believe Android SDK Emulator is not working with Unity.