Search Unity

Remove license key on machine

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Hansuke, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Hansuke

Hansuke

Hi,
    I currently have Unity Pro (2.02) installed concurrently on two machines.
    Currently I wish to uninstall Unity and remove the license key from one machine
    and pass on to a newer machine. Is it possible for me to do that?

2. DannyJ

DannyJ

Same issue here as well. I contacted Unity support about installing on a new computer twice already and they assured me that my "activation count" had been increased, but it still doesn't work. Not to be a spoilsport, but Unity's copy protection is going to be why users end up migrating to other game engines. Lets make some noise and try to get their attention on this issue :wink:

—Dan

3. Alec

Alec

yeah, noise! loud noises!

4. Hansuke

Hansuke

yeah ! guess im not the only one :p

5. StarManta

StarManta

Well, any other professional engine's copy protection will be at least as bad as Unity's. You could make the case that it'll drive more users to piracy, though.

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yes:

1. Delete the Unity app folder
    2. Delete the following file:

HD/Library/Application Support/PACE Anti-Piracy/License Files/Unity_v2.x.ilf

Once you've done the above contact us at either sales@unity3d.com or support@unity3d.com and let us know that you're migrating to a new machine and we'll get you sorted.

I can only find one contact from you directly to support@unity3d.com. After you wrote, Jens responded to you the next day indicating your serial was updated and he offered for you to contact him again if necessary. I see no other contact from that point forward so...

Have you actually contacted anyone as a follow-up to let them know that things still aren't working?

If so how and when did you go about doing that?

We have a manual activation process that we can use in those cases where online activation fails, I have yet to see a case where the manual process fails and it's a standard part of activation support follow-up. From what I can see based on official support@ records, you haven't yet followed up to indicate that things aren't working. If you have let Jens or someone know and they've not helped you out then that is unfair on our part and I'd like to find out where we dropped the ball and get you sorted with a manual activation.

I'm surprised at the attitudes here regarding our activation only because the volume of reported issues is tiny from what I've seen, nothing to indicate anything close to chasing users/developers away. Have I managed to miss some sort of wholesale range of failures? If so then point me in the right direction if you can.

Mister_Horrible likes this.
  7. jeremyace

jeremyace

In using Unity since version 1.1 I have never had any issues with the license system.

It has been nice, and cooperative for me.

In fairness, UT has to do something, keeping honest people honest and the like, and I personally think they have a nice balance of "security" for them, and ease of use for us.

Just my two cents of course! :)

-Jeremy

8. MatthewW

MatthewW

Also want to chime in that we haven't had any issues with licensing. We've had two laptops need mainboard swaps, bought and returned hardware (boo Macbook X3100!), and haven't had any problem talking to Unity about additional activations we needed as a result. Most who needs it has Unity on their laptop in addition to their work machine.

When we have frustrations we just snap off an email. If you've sent a single email and still have issues, just send another!

9. zumwalt

zumwalt

I'm with Matthew on this. I have had no problems with the install on either my iMac or MacBook Pro. Remember, the 2 installs is still single user, not multi user, you only own 1 license. The second install is a courtesy which frankly I am very grateful for. I've only been using it since v1.6 and never missed a beat on how it works. There support is top notch, you can even see the tickets you have submitted through there support system, it send you an email (provided you supplied them with a valid email address), all you have to do, is open your emails, click on the link it sends and see a status on your ticket. If it is closed, you can reference the ticket number and send in another ticket with a reason why you think it should be re-opened. I have done this before and had great turn around response.

10. DannyJ

DannyJ

Did Unity support help you out with migrating your license?

Yes, since the case was opened I sent three emails to support and one pm to you and so far have received NO REPLY. The first email was on 8/17 followed by two emails on 8/20. One of the emails on 8/20 was to open a new case and I haven't even gotten a confirmation response. The pm was sent on 8/18.

The second email sent on 8/20 is a request for manual activation because internet activation is still not working for me.

Overall, Unity's copy protection scheme works fine for most users most of the time. Clearly, if it didn't work for the majority of users most of the time then you would be out of business. However, I think that having end users' product licenses tied to Unity Technology's servers is too heavy handed because I feel that after purchasing a product I should be able to install it on my laptop, but it won't work even though I am a paying customer. So basically Unity users are buying a service, not a product. By the way, please check out this related thread: http://forum.unity3d.com//viewtopic.php?t=13604

That discussion about the Unity license agreement seems to strengthen the claim that the end user of Unity isn't buying a product, like when we buy a game, and can sell it later. Instead, we are buying a service and are at the mercy of the service provider. That being said, I still enjoy using and appreciate having the Unity development tool.

Unity Tech, please pick up the ball.

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I have your PM and am about to tend to it now, I've been incredibly busy this week, please accept my apologies at taking 24 hours (+/-) to reply. Those additional emails about your activation, they were sent to support@unity3d.com? And if so, did you use your same email address? Again, I'm just hoping to check for any gaps as normally I'd be able to find your emails and as of yesterday, I couldn't (my search error? different email addy used? other?).

Check your PMs in about 2 minutes...

12. GKiernozek

GKiernozek

yes indeed