Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Importing Autodesk 3DSMAX .MAX files into Blender 2.62

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by jwool814, Mar 8, 2012.

1. jwool814

jwool814

HELP! I have four Autodesk 3DS .MAX files I need to import into Blender 2.62 for a space animation scene I'm working on for an associate. They're just models with textures as far as I know. I'm assuming there is a process for converting or making them compatible but I have no idea how to do it. Can someone please guide me thru the process. I've looked around and havent found any real, practical options. Please help!!! Thanks...(I realize this isnt a Blender website... Please forgive me. I'm desparate... : )

jwool814@gmail.com

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. Codeweave

Codeweave

Open in 3dsMax. Export as .obj or .fbx. Import into Blender. Re-apply texture if lost-connection (no texture in blender), Flip texture if it is in a different co-ordinate space. Done.

3. phex

phex

As Codeweave says, you need to export the models from Max.
    Only 3dsMax can open max files.

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

5. jwool814

jwool814

Thanks Codeweave and the others. Yeah, I wish I had 3DSMax. The files were sent to me from Europe. I have no way of saving them as the proper file type. Blender Foundation has a workaround but the fix assumes I have 3DSMax as well. I dont know what I'm gonna do...:eek:

I suppose I'll go do the Free Trial for Autodesk. Sheesh... Thanks guys. I never thought about a Free Trail...Let me see how this works...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. Haledire

Haledire

Couldn't you just ask the associate you are working with to resend the files exported from max as either .3ds or .obj? Or are they from a third party source and neither one of you have the software?

7. jwool814

jwool814

Yeah, I've emailed him several times requesting that he save the files in the proper format but he's not responding appropriately. I dont think he understands clearly what's going on, even thou I've made it as clear as I can. Perhaps the files are Third Party. I really dont know the answer to your question.

8. jwool814

jwool814

Thanks a bunch Codeweave and jlcnz. Your reply has been the most enlightening and helpful. My working knowledge of 3DSMax can be summed up in three words: "I have none". Anyway, I downloaded and installed trial version 3DS MAX 2012. Using 3DSMax, I'm able to open the file and see a mesh, without textures or materials (even though they are within the file somewhere). As far as understanding what to do from here, I dont. Using 3DSMax, I was able to muddle thru saving and exporting something within the .MAX file to my desktop as a .OBJ file. 3DSMax also exported a separate MTL file along with the .OBJ file. When I import the .OBJ file into Blender I get nothing but a object center. No mesh, material, texture, nadda. I'm sure the MTL file is the key, but how to use it is beyond me. I'm not even sure if I saved and exported the .MAX file correctly.