Unity Community

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Water Valley, AB, Canada
    Ya same, this is something i'd like to see as part of Unity3D itself - very useful tool!

2. Location
    Sintra, Portugal
    Really impressive and VERY useful!

3. Posts
    This looks fantastic! Day one purchase for me.

4. Product Manager

Thanks for all the posts and encouragement!

@Malzbier I'm hoping to get this done and released within March. It works well and is stable on the meshes I have tried, but hoping a few more samples will come my way for testing to be sure there isn't something I missed.

5. Product Manager

Hey all,
    Thanks for the continued interest.

I updated the initial post to clarify that this is a native plugin and will only work in Unity Pro. Sorry for not making that clearer in the original post. The underlying tech is licensed and the licensor requires that the licensing system remain intact, so the plugin will also not be available in the Unity Store, but rather directly from our website (which isn't setup yet, but will be shortly).

Cheers,
    Brett

6. Posts
    Do you need to run it within unity editor? The editor itself is as slow as it is, I think it would be better to make it standalone. And please add maintain quad support.

7. Product Manager

Hi imtrobin,
    Thanks for your post.

It runs within the editor. If you want standalone that does same thing, see http://www.atangeo.com/

The idea is to sit seamlessly inside Unity and map everything between a raw model and game object as is, but convert the mesh. It makes certain workflows much more fluid and easy, and supports Unity's new LODGroups.

Cheers,
    Brett

8. Location
    New York City
    Pro only? That's unfortunate

If this was would run on Unity Free/Basic I would gladly pay $50+ for it...

9. Posts
    Will this work on PC & MAC?

10. Product Manager

@Vdek Yeah, sorry, at this time it's Pro only. We'll try to figure out possibly a fully managed version in the future, but for now, we need the core to be native code.

@runonthespot Yes, both Mac and Windows supported.

Cheers,
    Brett

11. Location
    Water Valley, AB, Canada
    Ok, so when a mesh is optimized, will it create a new asset or how does that piece work? I'm wondering if this will affect which platforms I'll be able to target (i.e. can this be used with WebPlayer)?

12. Posts
    atangeo does not have maintain quad reduction feature.

13. Product Manager

@Lypheus

Yes, it creates a new User Prefab. The prefab will map everything back to the original except it embeds a mesh into itself instead of the original. So if you already have a user prefab all configured, and then convert it, it will embed the mesh into that and remap it. None of this should effect which platforms can be used, including web player.

@imtrobin

Quads are hard to work with when collapsing polygons because it has to keep it coplanar and a triangle is coplanar automatically. I'm not sure this is something that can be done in this plugin at this time, sorry.

Cheers,
    Brett

14. Location
    Amsterdam
    Please submit to assets store today! you can always update it with new version after feedback.

Thanks

15. Product Manager

Haha, yeah, I wish I could do it today really! But it will be done soon. And just to point out, it won't be in the asset store at least initially, it will be sold on an external website for now.

Cheers,
    Brett

16. Product Manager

Hi all,
    New updated preview videos and new features added to the polygon reduction plugin.

Vimeo video here (better quality)

YouTube video here (same video, lower quality)

Cheers,
    Brett

PS: I need a model with sub meshes (not just multiple meshes in a model, but sub meshes). Please PM if you can help. Thanks

17. Location
    Amsterdam
    Great new features! I'm really impressed with the plugin! do you need beta testers? I would be happy to give it a spin!

One question; why not release simultaneously on the asset store and separate store, the asset store license is non exclusive.
    I like the fact that I can keep all my purchases and updates in one place in the asset store. Despite it's slowness.

Does this plugin also allow the reduction of trees created with unity tree maker, or the export of unity trees to obj? this would be really welcome for mobile use of unity trees. At the moment they take too many draw calls but I still like to use them on mobile.

Cheers
    Last edited by Lars Steenhoff; 03-13-2012 at 04:05 AM.

18. Location
    Italy
    Awesome, I can't wait to see it on asset store!

19. Product Manager

Hi Lars!
    Thanks for the post and encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Steenhoff View Post
    Great new features! I'm really impressed with the plugin! do you need beta testers? I would be happy to give it a spin!
    I'm still considering my testing options, but I'll be sure and let you know if I need some help, thanks for the offer!

One question; why not release simultaneously on the asset store and separate store, the asset store license is non exclusive. I like the fact that I can keep all my purchases and updates in one place in the asset store. Despite it's slowness.
    I hear you. The issue lies with licensing: I must maintain a licensing system for this plugin due to my agreement with the provider of the underlying technology and the asset store doesn't currently have any way to do this, so it's simply not an option. That said, I will work with the licensor to see if we can solve this down the road, but for now, I want to get this thing out in the wild first.

Does this plugin also allow the reduction of trees created with unity tree maker, or the export of unity trees to obj? this would be really welcome for mobile use of unity trees. At the moment they take too many draw calls but I still like to use them on mobile.
    It won't support trees in the initial version. Actually, I'm probably going to release the core plugin mostly as it is now that supports the standard prefab types. Then, I plan to release specialty add-on plugins (via the asset store), that will handle special assets like trees, terrains, characters, etc. This will allow me to really tailor the add-on to the task at hand; e.g. since the plugin knows that it's a Unity tree it will be able to do a great job of generating the LOD and staying synched. So in the first, core version, it won't but soon after you'll be able to get one I think.

Cheers,
    Brett

20. Product Manager

@Sjm Tech Thanks, me too Keep in mind that the first version at least won't be on the asset store though.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast