Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ETeeskiTutorials FPS1 Problem Diagnostic Collaboration Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by eteeski, Mar 5, 2012.

1. PRASADNSG

PRASADNSG

Need A Bit Debugging

var walkAcc:float = 25.0;
    var cameraObject:GameObject;
    var maxWalkSpeed:float=20.0;
    var jumpVelocity:float=2000.0;
    @ HideInInspector
    var grounded:boolean=false;
    var maxSlope:float=60.0;
    @ HideInInspector
    var horizontalMovement:Vector2;
    function Update ()
    {

horizontalMovement = Vector2(rigidbody.velocity.x,rigidbody.velocity.z);
    //Limit Speed
    if(horizontalMovement.magnitude > maxWalkSpeed)
    {
    horizontalMovement.Normalize();
    horizontalMovement *= maxWalkSpeed;
    }

rigidbody.velocity.x=horizontalMovement.x;
    rigidbody.velocity.z=horizontalMovement.y;
    //Start Running
    transform.rotation=Quaternion.Euler(0,cameraObject.GetComponent(MouseLookScript).currentYRotation,0);
    rigidbody.AddRelativeForce(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal")*walkAcc,0,Input.GetAxis("Vertical")*walkAcc);
    //jump on Pressing space and if on grounded
    if (Input.GetButtonDown("Jump") &grounded)
    rigidbody.AddForce(0,jumpVelocity,0);
    }
    function OnCollisionEnter (collisionInfo : Collision)
    {
    for (var contact : ContactPoint in collisionInfo.Contacts)
    {
    if (Vector3.Angle(contact.normal, Vector3.up) < maxSlope)
    grounded = true;
    }
    }
    function OnCollisionExit ()
    {
    grounded = false;
    }

2. AlexSR

AlexSR

Hi, first i want to say that your tutorial is great!

I'm on 1.8 and I noticed that when the player circulates a object (circling it with wasd and always looking for him) the object shakes a lot, it takes a lot of smoothness. I already downloaded the final project file of your tutorial and the same thing happens. You noticed that too? Any idea how to solve this?

thank you

3. eteeski

eteeski

Is it the floor that's shaking? I did notice that. It's because I scaled the floor up to like 1000000x1000000 if you scale it down to something reasonable, the shaking stops.

4. AlexSR

AlexSR

Is not the floor.

In the video will not show up, but if you do the same movement you will see.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  5. RowleyBirkin

RowleyBirkin

Hi eteeski,

Great tutorials, really loving your unique style and teaching methods. I especially loved the one breaking down quaternions into layman's terms, although sadly I'm still getting my head around them! I'm sure the penny will drop sooner or later!

Now to my question. I am in the process of modifying the mouse-look script to behave in the following way:

While the mouse button is down enable mouse look (so the player can't change view unless the button is down). Now this bit is pretty simple, even for me. I just wrapped the following line inside an if statement. Well, it seems to work as expected anyway ;) .

if (Input.GetButton("Fire1")){
    transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(currentXRotation, currentYRotation, 0);
    }

Ok, now the tricky bit I just can't get my head around... How can I make it so that once the user lets go of the mouse button the camera will gradually ease to a stop based on how quickly the user was turning when letting the button go? Just to clarify, all I need the camera to do is rotate on the spot. There are no translations involved as the camera is locked to position 0,0,0.

From my research into the available quaternion functions in the unity docs and from my uneducated point of view it seems that all of them expect you to be able to give the function a position that you eventually want the rotation to end at or point towards. I don't know the exact point that I'd like the camera to come to a rest as it is based on mouse velocity in X and Y which can change dynamically. I really hope I am over-complicating this issue (as oddly I tend to do with unity). Most problems I encounter end up being so much more straightforward than I could have imagined when planning how to execute them in the first place!

Thanks so much for your time and keep up the incredible work. You are an inspiration to me.

Rowley

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  6. mainmatrix

mainmatrix

7. GothicGhost

GothicGhost

@GiORg1 how did you fix the the problem of when looking down and your character jumps/moves about like the gun is effecting the player ?

Also another problem I have is in FPS1.23 Switching Guns the switch weapon command only works once?

Thanks for any help guys/girls :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  8. FlyingKuh

FlyingKuh

Hi :) I set the player the to 12.5,3.5,0 . AND the gun to 13,3,1 . If i press play the gun transformes its position to 12.5,4.5,0 . What did i wrong? Sry fór my horrible english.

9. NightoutCoder

NightoutCoder

10. JoeCunningham

JoeCunningham

Hey,

I haven't made a thread, because this is just a small problem, but when I right click the gun only moves a tiny bit, and ends up nowhere near the middle of the screen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Joe

11. compugraphx

compugraphx

Hi Eeteeski,

First off, I can't thank you enough for your work on these tutorials. Total lifesaver!

Episode: FPS 1.6

Issue: I'm having an issue with the Mathf.SmoothDamp() function. I am receiving this error:
    I'm not sure why those variables are returning as not numbers, i've gone over the code several times to ensure there aren't any spelling errors or differences in variable values. I made sure all the variables in the inspector were the same as the video.

My code in reference to error:
    Code (csharp):
    2. var walkAccel:float = 100;             
    3. var walkAccelAirRatio:float = 0.1;     
    4. var walkDeAccel:float = 5;             
    5. var cameraObject:GameObject;           
    6. var maxWalkSpeed:float = 20;       
    7. @HideInInspector                       
    8. var walkDeAccelVolx:float;
    9. @HideInInspector
    10. var walkDeAccelVolz:float;
    11. var horizMovement:Vector2;             
    12. @HideInInspector
    13. var grounded:boolean = false;          
    14. var maxSlope:float = 60;               
    15. var jumpVelocity:float = 250;          
    17. function Update () {
    19. horizMovement = Vector2(rigidbody.velocity.x, rigidbody.velocity.z);
    21.     if(horizMovement.magnitude > maxWalkSpeed){
    22.         horizMovement = horizMovement.normalized;
    23.         horizMovement *= maxWalkSpeed;
    24.     }
    26. if(grounded){
    27.     rigidbody.velocity.x /= Mathf.SmoothDamp(rigidbody.velocity.x, 0, walkDeAccelVolx, walkDeAccel);
    28.     rigidbody.velocity.z /= Mathf.SmoothDamp(rigidbody.velocity.z, 0, walkDeAccelVolz, walkDeAccel);
    29. }  
    30. }
    Link to my question thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/144051-FPS-1.6-SmoothDamp.Angle-Error-with-NaN-amp-Infinity-results?p=985640#post985640

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  12. venhip

venhip

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  13. clownwiz1

clownwiz1

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  14. aldian

aldian

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  15. zipson1

zipson1

FPS 1.26

My gun is in the wrong place at the start of the game, but after reloading it moves to it's proper spot.

A link to my thread Here.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  16. zipson1

zipson1

I fixed this problem, but can't figure out how to get rid of the post... Sorry.

17. mauro_rmp

mauro_rmp

I have a problem with FPS 1.4 where we set a max walk speed. I followed the instructions and typed the new parts of the code exactly as you did. but in the end when I press play to test it out the console displays an error message that says

MissingFieldException: Field 'UnityEngine.Vector2.z' not found.

What went wrong? How do I fix this issue in order to continue. I would greatly appreciate it if you could reply to this message and help me

18. eteeski

eteeski

maybe there's something wrong with my code, I'll look into it. I've been getting a lot of people with the same error. but vector2's dont have a Z only X and Y. either change the z to a y or change it to a vector3.

19. oliverroachjr

oliverroachjr

Its a quick question, so i did not make a thread.
    I have a sprinting code in my player move script that increases the acceleration and max speed.
    is there a way that i can rotate my gun object in the script when i sprint?

20. SmileyFaceOfRom

SmileyFaceOfRom

FPS 1.36 AI following issue

Hello! I'm having an issue where the enemy won't follow my player from one cell to the next. As soon as I move from their cell or jump, they ignore me. When I land from jumping they come towards me, but when not in their cell they just ignore me.

My personal thread here.

21. eteeski

eteeski

animations would probably be the best way. or you could make the gun model a child of another child and change that local rotation depending on wether or not the player is sprinting.

22. Marchello

Marchello

I have problem after epizode 34... maybe somebody can resolve it...
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.InvokeBinaryOperator (System.String operatorName, System.Object lhs, System.Object rhs)
    EnemyMovementScript.Update () (at Assets/Script/EnemyMovementScript.js:23)

Code (csharp):
    1. var currentCell : GameObject;
    2. var playerMovementScript : PlayerMovementScript;
    3. var playerCell : GameObject;
    4. var goalDoor : GameObject;
    5. var shortestPathSoFar :float;
    6. @HideInInspector
    7. var waitToStart : int = 5;
    9. function Awake ()
    10. {
    11.     ShortestPathSoFar = Mathf.Infinity;
    12.     playerMovementScript = GameObject.FindWithTag("Player").GetComponent(PlayerMovementScript);
    13.     waitToStart = 5;
    14. }
    16. function Update ()
    17. {
    18.     if (waitToStart <= 0)
    19.     {
    20.         playerCell = playerMovementScript.currentCell;
    21.         for (var doorCheckingNow : GameObject in currentCell.GetComponent(AICellScript).doors)
    22.         {
    23.             for (var i : int = 0; i <= doorCheckingNow.GetComponent(AIPathDoorScript).cells.lenght -1; i++)
    24.             {
    25.                 if (doorCheckingNow.GetComponent(AIPathDoorScript).cells[i] == playerCell)
    26.                 if (doorCheckingNow.GetComponent(AIPathDoorScript).doorsToCells[i] < shortestPathSoFar)
    27.                 {
    28.                     goalDoor = doorCheckingNow;
    29.                     shortestPathSoFar = doorCheckingNow.GetComponent(AIPathDoorScript).doorsToCells[i];
    30.                 }
    31.             }
    32.         }
    33.         shortestPathSoFar = Mathf.Infinity;
    34.     }
    35.     waitToStart -= 1;
    36. }
    38. function OnTriggerStay (hitTrigger : Collider)
    39. {
    40.     if (hitTrigger.tag == "AIpathCell")
    41.         currentCell = hitTrigger.gameObject;
    42. }

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  23. Vordas32

Vordas32

Problem with 1.8 Basic Gun with Weight

On my Gunscript everything works great but a gun do not have good smooth, its jitter. I tried to put the whole code in LateUpdate() and just targetXRotation, targetYRotation in LateUpdate() but gun still has the jitter. When I put targetXRotation, targetYRotation in LateUpdate() a gun have smaller jitter but it still have. Can anyone help on this problem? Master how to solve this? Is it up to my pc that is slow. Maybe is framerates? Please help the teacher. Btw. Your videos is great. I like that you go in so details.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/15...8-Basic-Gun-with-Weight?p=1031108#post1031108

24. jan2100

jan2100

25. lenis0012

lenis0012

i got a problem at episode FPS1.8
    when i try to move i cant move, and when i look around it blocks it, but when i look around the capsule location changes, the camera and gun stay on the same location all the time
    this only happends when i enable the gunscript
    also, the scene screen starts movinf once a start the game with the gunscript, even though i dont do anything, while he game is just stuck

Thread: here

iif you need to know the Move script, just say it, but its not special at all

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  26. baj00

baj00

Anyone else getting jumps at half speed when close to a wall / box etc?

keenanwoodall likes this.
  27. eteeski

eteeski

yeah, that's because of using a rigidbody for the player. one way to help with that is to add a physic material to the player that has no friction on it.

28. kirra1000

kirra1000

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x
    OK IM REALLY ANGRY THAT I CAN'T GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED. I HAVE BEEN TRYING BY MY OWN FOR 2 WEEKS. THE 1.13 VID THERE IS NO BULLET HOLE AND WHEN IT MAKES THE BULLET IT'S MAKES A EMPTY GAME OBJECT. PLEASE HELP.
    :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

29. eteeski

eteeski

alright, calm down man. Is your bullet hole prefab set up correctly? when you drag and drop the prefab into the scene, is there a bullet hole?

30. kirra1000

kirra1000

'height' is not a member of 'UnityEngine.Collider'.

why is height not a member of UnityEngine.Collider. Plz help:roll:

31. kirra1000

kirra1000

soz I put the big letters above. Its just everyday I would spend like 2 hours on trying to fix it but it was just a spelling error. lol. but now my game is all over the place. I Can't add scripts to objects, theres a weird height error and now my gun is not atached to my PlayerCapsule. I think I should just restart completely. I have now spent 4 weeks doing this and I really want to keep going but it just looks like a mess.

PS Im lening all of this because Im a modeler and just want to start out making games.

32. Kaha

Kaha

33. WeirderChimp

WeirderChimp

HELP ME PLEASE
    hey eteeski great tutorials
    im having problem with FPS1 1.33 i copied your code and fixed the error you had with the AIpathCellcScript for (var checkDoor : GameObject in cells.GetComponent(AIpathCellcScript).doors)

this is the line where im also geting problems. it says Assets/AI Stuff/AIpathDoorScript.js(41,65): BCE0019: 'GetComponent' is not a member of 'Object'.

PLEASE HELP ME

ps sorry i didnt make a new thread im new to unity and dont know what im doing
    also you could start making tutorials all about what people want to learn about because your tutorials are so easy to follow
    YOUR THE BEST AND HOPE YOU CAN FIX MY PROBLEM :)
    Please Help

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  34. mimishak

mimishak

FPS1 1.4

Please help me with this error. I did the exact things as mentioned.

Assets/PlayerMovementScript.js(16,35): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'System.Type' and a right hand side of type 'float'.

35. eteeski

eteeski

if there's a #pragma strict in your code, delete it. make sure all your variables are of the right type, like float or int or vector3...

36. aldian

aldian

FPS 1.2 to 1.7

Cant move player, restarted project and imported everything in but still cant get him to budge or jump.

37. eteeski

eteeski

that's probably because the project zip file was made in unity 3.5, ill try to update that soon.

38. Bruno999

Bruno999

Hey men, i got a problem. My character doesn´t move, the script is right i think but there is an error:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

I dont know how to fix it, so i need your help, please. Thanks.

The script:

var walkAcceleration : float = 5;
    var cameraObject : GameObject;

function Update ()
    {
    transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0, cameraObject.GetComponent(MouseLookScript).currentyRotation, 0);
    rigidbody.AddRelativeForce(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal") * walkAcceleration, 0, Input.GetAxis("Vertical") * walkAcceleration);
    }

39. eteeski

eteeski

you probably didn't set up the camera object in the inspector.

40. Sandr0G

Sandr0G

Edit: Not 1.3, but 1.13. (In the title).

First of all, thank you so much for doing these tutorials :D

Ok, so, I have a few problems that I have been trying to fix on my own, I have fixed some but there are still two or three problems.

The first problem is in BulletScript, here is the code:
    Code (csharp):
    1. var maxDist : float = 1000000000;
    2. var decalHitWall : GameObject;
    3. var floatInFrontOffWall : float = 0.00000001;
    5. function Update ()
    6. {
    7.     var hit : RaycastHit;
    8.     if( Physics.Raycast( transform.position, transform.forward, hit, maxDist))
    9.     {
    10.         if( decalHitWall  hit.transform.tag == "Level Parts")
    11.             Instantiate( decalHitWall, hit.point + (hit.normal * floatInFrontOffWall), Quaternion.LookRotation(hit.normal));
    12.     }
    13.     Destroy(gameObject);
    14. }
    If I use Destroy(gameObject); the bullet holes don't show up, they aren't created at all.

The other problem is that the bullet holes don't get deleted after X number of seconds, they just stay there for ever.
    DestroyAfterTimeScript code:
    Code (csharp):
    1. var destroyAfterTime : float = 5;
    2. var destroyAfterTimeRandomization : float = 2;
    3. @HideInInspector
    4. var countToTime : float;
    6. function Awake ()
    7. {
    8.     destroyAfterTime += Random.value * destroyAfterTimeRandomization;
    9. }
    11. function Update ()
    12. {
    13.     countToTime += Time.deltaTime;
    14.     if (countToTime >= destroyAfterTime)
    15.         Destroy(gameObject);
    16. }
    Please, I would really apreciate if you could help me.

EDIT: I have fixed the problem myself. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  41. galaboy

galaboy

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  42. WeirderChimp

WeirderChimp

there is two things you can do
    1 remove #strict thing
    make the collider a capsel collider

43. WeirderChimp

WeirderChimp

i fixed it i removed the #strict thing

44. Will_B

Will_B

I'm having an issue with FPS 1.5 - Jumping.

I can only jump if I remove ' grounded', however doing this means I can keep jumping in mid air.

Here is my code, I've gone over it several times and cant see anything wrong with it:

Code (csharp):
    1. var walkAcceleration : float = 5;
    2. var cameraObject : GameObject;
    3. var maxWalkSpeed : float = 20;
    4. @HideInInspector
    5. var horizontalMovement : Vector2;
    7. var jumpVelocity : float = 20;
    8. @HideInInspector
    9. var grounded : boolean = false;
    10. @HideInInspector
    11. var maxSlope : float = 60;
    14. function Update ()
    16. {
    17.     horizontalMovement =Vector2(rigidbody.velocity.x, rigidbody.velocity.z);
    18.     if (horizontalMovement.magnitude > maxWalkSpeed)
    19.     {
    20.         horizontalMovement = horizontalMovement.normalized;
    21.         horizontalMovement *= maxWalkSpeed;
    22.     }
    23.     rigidbody.velocity.x = horizontalMovement.x;
    24.     rigidbody.velocity.z = horizontalMovement.y;
    26.     transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0, cameraObject.GetComponent(MouseLookScript).currentYRotation, 0);
    27.     rigidbody.AddRelativeForce(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal") * walkAcceleration, 0, Input.GetAxis("Vertical") *walkAcceleration);
    29.     if (Input.GetButtonDown("Jump") grounded)rigidbody.AddForce(0, jumpVelocity, 0);
    30. }
    32. function onCollisionStay (collision : Collision)
    33. {
    34.     for (var contact : ContactPoint in collision.contacts)
    35.     {
    36.         if (Vector3.Angle(contact.normal, Vector3.up) < maxSlope)
    37.             grounded = true;
    38.     }
    40. }
    42. function OnCollisionExit ()
    43. {
    44.     grounded = false;
    45. }
    Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

45. Middleman3

Middleman3

Tutorial 1.36 AI PathFinding.

I'm not sure why, but my enemies are traveling to more than one randomized point in the cell before going to the door, even when the player is in a cell.

46. galaboy

galaboy

47. B1ackSmoke93

B1ackSmoke93

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  48. InhailedYeti

InhailedYeti

Hey, your tutorials are really fantastic, thank you. I have a couple of errors in the scripts, however. One of them is major, and I have tried re-scripting 3 times to fix it. Here's what it looks like:

And here is the script:
    Code (csharp):
    1. var cameraObject : GameObject;
    2. @HideInInspector
    3. var targetXRotation : float;
    4. @HideInInspector
    5. var targetYRotation : float;
    6. @HideInInspector
    7. var targetXRotationV : float;
    8. @HideInInspector
    9. var targetYRotationV : float;
    11. var rotateSpeed : float = 0.3;
    12. var holdSide : float = - 0.5;
    13. var holdHeight : float = 0.5;
    14. var holdLength : float = 0.5;
    17. function Update () {
    18.     transform.position = cameraObject.transform.position + (Quaternion.Euler(targetXRotation, targetYRotation, 0) * Vector3(holdSide, holdHeight, holdLength));
    20.     targetXRotation = Mathf.SmoothDamp( targetXRotation, cameraObject.GetComponent(MouseLook).xRotation, targetXRotationV, rotateSpeed);
    21.     targetYRotation = Mathf.SmoothDamp( targetYRotation, cameraObject.GetComponent(MouseLook).yRotation, targetYRotationV, rotateSpeed);
    23.     transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(targetXRotation, targetYRotation, 0);
    24. }
    My other bug, is I cannot move any direction but forward when crouched. Please help me, I've been stuck with this for so long trying so hard to fix it and I haven't been able to.

49. squared55

squared55

What are the actual error messages?

As for the crouching bug, try disabling player collision with different layers, and see if that fixes it (in the physics manager). Nice gun model, BTW.

50. InhailedYeti

InhailedYeti

This was just recently solved. You have to go into the program used to make the model, in this case blender, and rotate it. And thanks, my friend does the modeling, and I do the scripting, i'll pass on the compliment :p

EDIT: I have a new problem, regarding bullet spawning. When my bullets spawn, they spawn like 3 feet above and in front of the "bullet spawn"