Search Unity

Kerbal Space Program 0.14 - Fully persistent solar system

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by HarvesteR, Mar 3, 2012.

1. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

Hi,

I want to announce to everyone that we've released a new version of our game, Kerbal Space Program.

This release is the largest and longest update we've ever done, totalling 9 weeks of full time work on the new features.
    The 0.14 update is the first non-demo release for the game, and it adds the following main features:

* A fully persistent game world (actually, a solar system)
    * Multiple vessels in simultaneous flights (and live switching between them)
    * New parts and a new Landing Leg part type
    * A C# assembly loader, for full modding support and user-made part types.
    * New, auto-generated crew members (plus the old ones).
    * A Tracking Station facility at the Space Center, that allows you to resume previously saved flights.
    * An automatic game patching system

Here's the new trailer video:

Here are some screenshots:

The Tracking Station view:

Tracking Station from the outside:

Ready to Launch:

Two vessels landed on the moon (Mun):

Cheers!

2. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

looks great!

3. sciguy77

sciguy77

I love it! Just bought it, and I can't wait for updates!

Your game capitalizes on the player's creativity; this is extremely rare and difficult to do. This has to be my favorite Unity game of all time.

Here are my recommendations:

- Add voice overs for the instructions. If you're on a tight budget, you can usually find a good voice actor on Fiverr for $5.
    - Consider making the initial launches from inside a space center (i.e. behind a few rows of your adorable characters, like in Apollo 11, etc). Or, just be able to see some life on the ground, i.e. characters watching the launch (and freaking out if it goes awry) or something of the like.
    - Consider adding some ground response if there's a crash (like little fire trucks or something). You have absolutely adorable characters, don't be afraid to use them.
    - Consider adding some sort of mysterious alien life to interact with, creating intrigue would really take this game to the next level.
    - Will this be multiplayer? Being able to see other players' creations in action would be awesome.

And here's a screenshot of my failed launch (I accidentally made the 2nd boosters and the parachute open at the same time):

4. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

@sciguy77: Thanks! and yeah, we have several features like that planned already. :)

Also, I want to announce it here, we've released a 14.1 revision patch, that deals with a lot of the bugs from the 14.0 release.

Cheers