Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Pro Non Commercial License Poll

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Frednaar, Mar 3, 2012.

?

Would you like a Unity Pro non Commercial license

Poll closed Apr 2, 2012.
  1. I would buy it right away

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. It is a good idea, maybe I'll buy

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. I am not interested

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Don't know, already have a Pro license

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. Frednaar

Frednaar

This is an idea I believe could be useful to many unity Free users.

I am an hobby game developer (pro C# dev in real life) and like to test my future game with Unity, but I need some Pro Version features and assets from the Asset Store.

Since my 30 days pro trial has expired, the decision I am stuck in is spend 1000 euros for something that may never come to life, or try to do my project in Unity Free.

My idea is to ask Unity to create a Unity Pro Non Commercial License for people like me for a price around 200 euros (like a Studica License). The license would be non upgradable, and in order to publish a game you would need to buy a Pro License.

So basically customer options would be

- Casual users: Unity Free

- Advanced Users and Hobbyists: Unity Pro non Commercial (cost 200 euros + 1000 euros if they publish something)

- Indie Professionals and Studios: Unity Pro Commercial 1000 euros and over.

This should not affect the indie Pro sales, that would have no reasons to buy a test license as they know they will end up with publishing something since it is their job, but would allow an easier access for many of the 100.000+ users that have not yet decided what to do...

Please vote below.... maybe Unity will listen and we can have a nice surprise

Fred

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. MithosAnnar

MithosAnnar

Hey Fred,

If your really serious about developing games you could go to this website, and get your 1000 euros.

How it works is, you post an explainer video about the game you want to make, then you explain that you can program the game in c# because you are a c# programmer. Ask for a donation of 1000 dollars and your set!

its not certain though, because it works on peoples donations.

3. MithosAnnar

MithosAnnar

Still, I voted for maybe.

4. Frednaar

Frednaar

Interesting link, thanks, I might need it at a later stage.

I can actually spend 1000 euros, just it woud look inappropriate for a simple hobby at the moment. So I am not yet that serious, I am just putting together elements for my future game and it would be unfair to ask any money for it.

Fred

5. MithosAnnar

MithosAnnar

Hey!

yeah, no problem man :)

What kind of game is it?

6. Jessy

Jessy

This idea doesn't make any sense. It suggests that pro studios using Unity are somehow doing something different than you are, when they are not publishing.

7. why789

why789

Hello,

I like the idea however I still don't think it would be worth it, I mean, 200 euros to make a game that won't be released until another 1000 euros are spent?

What I was thinking is a Unity Pro Non-Commercial license (like you, but with some differences), basically allowing you to download Unity Pro for free, but with the exception that the watermark is on the game (like in Unity Indie) and no profit making from the game.

I think this is a win-win situation because: Unity will receive more popularity on being such a great game engine because they will see it at it's best (in pro version) and not in the indie version where features are not as cutting edge and they would rather go to UDK for non-profit games (due to the full featured version available for free) whilst hobbyists (like me) who just like to make good looking games for the heck of it and publish them as freeware or open source. (or possibly a requirement to publish as open-source?) If they are dedicated they could make a really good looking game for free and than when it is published the Unity Game Engine would get popularity.

Just had an idea, if this license gets released I'm thinking a lot of newbies would try and get in on it and than if they publish half-arsed games it would hurt the rep of Unity, maybe only allow the developers to release the game that was made with this special license once Unity has given them the approval. That way only the completed and polished games get released, thus giving Unity a good reputation.
    Obviously this would only be for Non-Commercial games and there could be a limitation of a maximum amount of team members?

This might hurt the Indie license a bit but Indie you can still sell the games you make, whereas this license you can only do freeware/open source, the full Pro license would be as it is, allowing you to sell the games with the cutting edge engine!

Opinions? I'd prefer if there was no flaming just educated opinions....
    why789

8. Frednaar

Frednaar

@Jessy

There's a substantial difference, they do it for commercial reasons and are a business entity, while hobbyist don't, until they actually go into selling their game. Think free software as antiviruses, winrar and such, you are allowed to use them free for personal use while you shold pay if you are a company.

@why789

I don't follow the problem with newbies publishing bad games, they can alreasy do it with unity free, worse can happen, they look better...

I don't think Unity might change their model by adding pro features to unity free, but I like the watermarked pro version idea as it will make a difference from the Pro Paid and maybe make Pro Commercial Users happier...

9. why789

why789

No, I wasn't saying pro features in Indie. I was saying a free watermarked Pro version (same features as Unity Pro but for free) for non-commercial use only, maybe having the requirement that the unity project files have to be released to the public so everyone can learn off of them if the game ever gets released.

As for the newbies publishing bad games I agree, but I was saying that mostly for the people who have payed money for the Pro version. Don't want them getting mad when newbies release bad games for free with the same toolset as the commercial groups who paid money.

I really think a Non-commercial pro version will really set Unity apart from the others and make it that much better, basically encouraging the hobbyists to make good games and release them for the community and to gain reputation for Unity Game Engine.

Take UDK for example, high tech engine completely free although if you want to sell it is a major problem. The reason why I don't use UDK is because I can't quite figure out how one is supposed to customize the engine to actually make a custom game (not just a FPS) That's why I'm here, because I really like Unity and it's feel, it's simple but gets the job done and is powerful.

The watermark will make sure Unity gets reputation and it will set it apart from the full pro version. Since it will be non-commercial than hobbyists can use the best toolset available to make hobby games without having to dig out their wallet for a game that won't earn them any profit whatsoever.

Me for example, I have a fun game idea and a dedicated group of people all collaborating for a project that won't earn them any money at all. They just enjoy what they do and do it because they enjoy it, but it's hard to justify spending 1.5K for a game that won't earn us anything.

-why789