Just wondering if you guys have the same problems. Monodevelop is terrible since i know it. This is on OsX 10.6.8
Most annoying things:
1. Crashes relatively often when i mark a line and drag it to copy the line.
2. Crashes relatively often when i just double click a script in Unity.
3. Autocompletion is messed. Seems to be better in C scripts. Since i upgraded to 3.5 it doesnīt even autocomplete "Transform". Instead it offers only "TweenTransform" for now.
4. I cannot see how the Program decides which files to open. After each crash it opens whatever i had open in the past. Sometimes i find myself confused about why all of a sudden other tabs with files are open since i last switched to it from unity.
5. since unity3.5 it the recovery of autosaved documents doesnīt work any more. Before, it crashed, and at least saved somewhat reliable the last edit. After restart it would ask me whether i wanna open the autosaved one, or the last really saved one. Well, it still does this, but when i choose the autosaved one its always empty. Great.
I think i have like 10 crashes a day. Since monodevelop is not Unity, i donīt see how to bug report this.
Whats your experience? Any hints how to improve the situation? The currently used version 2.8.2.
I use MonoDevelop in Windows, and it dies many times a day. The worst is when creating a new function (after typing the opening brace, it occasionally throws an exception when updating some hash, and exits). Seriously. Fortunately, I have found the autosave is perfect.
Sometimes the entire edit area goes black (not the whole screen, just where the text is), and I think that is from an odd autocompletion or folding thing.
Also, autocomplete does not seem as good as before; I could be wrong, but I thought it used to remember your last usage better, i.e. if you have typed/autocompleted GUILayout, then typed "GU" it would have GUILayout queued up, but now it seems to reset it to the beginning of the alphabetical list of items that start with "GU" every time.
its commonly known that monodevelop is crap. Right now you only really have to deal with it if you need step thru debugging. If you dont need that for most of your development, then use any other text editor you like. Most windows guys use visual studio, or something simpler like notepad++ (it may be simple, still very useful and easy to develop in).
Some people are even trying to get the step thru debugger to work with visual studio...but nothing has come from it yet, but I'm sure its gonna happen since vis studio debugger is AWESOME.
As for mac users, well, I don't know how many code editors are out there for you guys. And having the super awesome visual studio stuff doesn't help you either. Maybe you can somehow integrate code warrior?
Funny thing is , i starting using monodevelop just cause it was readily available in unity workspace , and figured i would most likely fall back to VS , but did not. I have had no problems at all with mono through 3.4 to 3.5.