Unity Community


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

  1. Posts
    21

    Switching from UDK to Unity?

    Right now I have created a game in UDK, but am getting mad at the lack of publishing options so I am looking to transfer over to Unity in instead.

    My game is a very simple top down game with a rolling ball as the player that requires the player to solve puzzles to finish the levels. The menu systems are made with scaleform and I really like its implementation.

    So how hard to do you think it would be to re make the game in Unity instead? I can pick up coding languages really easily and I think my experience with UDK should help me understand Unity.


  2. Posts
    3,149
    What exactly do you mean with publishing options?


  3. Posts
    1,137
    How do you expect us to answer if we know so little about your game? From the available info, yes it should be really easy.


  4. Location
    Uruguay
    Posts
    2,416
    A ball that rolls? Dude, you'll make your game in about 15 minutes!

    Unity makes games like that for breakfast!
    HEY!... Visit dogzer's Assets Store (;っ˘▽˘)っ (Characters & more)

    Oh, and my Google Plus.
    It has news and stuff! (About games of course)

    "A nerd's work is never done....." (҂⌣̀_⌣́)


  5. Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by dogzerx View Post
    A ball that rolls? Dude, you'll make your game in about 15 minutes!

    Unity makes games like that for breakfast!

    lol! so true
    www.fingerbait.com :: Inferno - Multiplayer SciFi RTS :: Free Console

    Don't mind me, I'm just a Negative Nancy.


  6. Posts
    1,579
    The only apparent problem is the scaleform menus. You may need some 3rd party middleware.
    Completely new to game development and Unity? don't know where to start? You don't have to be a n00b, click here and you'll be a pro in no time! The complete scripting series will bring you from zero to hero!

    Really guys, get over it. Everyone these days wants a MMO not single player. I know we should start out small but times have changed. Anymore in the game industry no matter how small or large you have to go big or go home!


  7. Posts
    21
    Is it really that easy with Unity? Because it was way too difficult in UDK at first...

    And when I say publishing options, I mean how I can only make the game to play on pc and no matter what you do, you cant make a game that will run straight from a disc.

    I know you shouldnt make a game that runs off the disc, but I have to for a competition, so right now my UDK game wont work at all for the competition.

    Since I'm new does anyone know the best tutorial sites that are out there?

    If you would like to see what my game is like, you can see an early build video here:
    http://youtu.be/IL3MIwlnfdU
    Last edited by JTEhlert; 02-22-2012 at 05:09 PM.


  8. Posts
    1,137
    For a menu like that the default UI will do just fine.


  9. Location
    The Soulless Land
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by JTEhlert View Post
    I know you shouldnt make a game that runs off the disc, but I have to for a competition, so right now my UDK game wont work at all for the competition.
    So...what? Their computers don't have USB ports for thumb/external drives? Why would you switch engines based off of a competition anyways?
    Last edited by Traverity; 02-22-2012 at 11:15 PM.


  10. Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,447
    This is the Unity learning path I suggest...

    1.) 2D Tutorial - http://unity3d.com/support/resources...form-game.html
    2.) 3D Tutorial - http://unity3d.com/support/resources...-tutorial.html

    After you've done those two tutorials.. you'll have a much better idea how a Unity project is stuctured and how the UI works.
    Next you need to learn some scripting

    3.) www.unity3dstudent.com

    A great set of short videos showing simple scripting techniques.

    4.) Build your own simple game in Unity, and most importantly finish it. With a UI, scoring, menu everything!! Once you have achieved this you will be well on your way.

    Good luck


  11. Posts
    46
    I came here from UT2004/ UT3 and UDK .
    I've been modding since 1996 with unreal as a hobby.

    It took 2 years to make Strikeforce FPS with 7 people
    We could have done all that in 6 months with Unity.

    I'm making a simple platform game atm, and it's so much easier in Unity


  12. Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Traverity View Post
    So...what? Their computers don't have USB ports for thumb/external drives? Why would you switch engines based off of a competition anyways?
    Well more or less skilled people change engines all the time for competitions if the particular engine doesn't satisfy the requirements.
    For example wolfire use their own engine for overgrowth and yet they used unity for game jam cause it satisfied their particular need.
    There is a choice, so why not?


  13. Posts
    21
    I'm having to swith because UDK can't run off a disc alone, it has to be installed. So I'm turning to Unity because I know for a fact that it will work.
    Oh and I must say you guys are much nicer than the ones on the udk forums


  14. Location
    Uruguay
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by JTEhlert View Post
    I'm having to swith because UDK can't run off a disc alone, it has to be installed. So I'm turning to Unity because I know for a fact that it will work.
    Oh and I must say you guys are much nicer than the ones on the udk forums
    Well.. I don't mean to brag... but we do have the best community in the universe! :3~
    HEY!... Visit dogzer's Assets Store (;っ˘▽˘)っ (Characters & more)

    Oh, and my Google Plus.
    It has news and stuff! (About games of course)

    "A nerd's work is never done....." (҂⌣̀_⌣́)


  15. Location
    Boston, Ma
    Posts
    2,440
    ^^ Totally agree


  16. Location
    The Soulless Land
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning View Post
    Well more or less skilled people change engines all the time for competitions if the particular engine doesn't satisfy the requirements.
    For example wolfire use their own engine for overgrowth and yet they used unity for game jam cause it satisfied their particular need.
    There is a choice, so why not?
    Did they switch game engines for their game (Overgrowth) or did they create a new game?

    What I'm getting at, is that the OP has a project that's already been under development, but wants to suddenly switch engines because of a competition/compiling options. It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by Traverity; 02-23-2012 at 12:48 PM.


  17. Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by dogzerx View Post
    A ball that rolls? Dude, you'll make your game in about 15 minutes!

    Unity makes games like that for breakfast!
    Well, I never seen decent game published with Unity, which is actually quite bad result, considering number of users. Everybody is just talking about doing games, but thats all.

    But yes, rolling ball game is exactly what is Unity made for.


  18. Location
    Victoria Australia
    Posts
    4,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Demostenes View Post
    I never seen decent game published with Unity.
    Are you kidding me?
    Maybe you can help me work out how to smooth my planetary gravity!


    Quote Originally Posted by hippocoder View Post
    Calm down, you're posting all kinds of nonsense that makes no sense. I suggest you post less, and follow http://unity3d.com/learn tutorials.

  19. Volunteer Moderator
    Posts
    23,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Demostenes View Post
    Well, I never seen decent game published with Unity, which is actually quite bad result, considering number of users. Everybody is just talking about doing games, but thats all.

    But yes, rolling ball game is exactly what is Unity made for.
    There have been thousands of games published with Unity, many of them decent. http://unity3d.com/gallery/made-with-unity/game-list Please stop trolling everywhere, thanks. Unity isn't "made for" any particular type of game, it's a general engine.

    --Eric
    SpriteTile: new tile system that works seamlessly with Unity 4.3 sprites
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes


  20. Posts
    78
    That is impressive list of games. A long list of released games is always more impressive than any list of engine features or other technical specs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •