Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching from UDK to Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jtehlert, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I have never claimed to be "more than the average hobbyist", or attempted to explain to established artists on this forum how easy things are with more experience without ever actually displaying said experience myself.

2. Demostenes

Demostenes

I think this is exactly what you did right now (your work is awful vs I have nothing).

3. cannon

cannon

Anyway, just remember that it's been demonstrated that you can make games with Unity that run the gamut from GooBall to ShadowGun to Battlestar Galactica MMO and you can make your own informed decisions from there as to whether Unity can support the game types you have in mind.

4. npsf3000

npsf3000

So you want them to make AAA games... without the resources that AAA games typically have?

Or you're a troll simply trying to prolong a untenable argument to get a reaction. Let me guess which one I'll take here...

5. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Haha, what? I never claimed to be an artist or experienced. You regularly criticize others work and make claims of vast experience, but don't have anything to show for it. I don't need anything to call shenanigans on you.

6. Demostenes

Demostenes

Where?

I have and I showed several times.

So you are no artist, you have no/little experience (so your opinion does not have much value), but still you cricitize somebody else with actual results? Ok, this is all I need to know.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  7. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

The problem with switching is you will have to learn a new scripting language. Most people are using UnityScript or C# here (or boo if you know python) There is a visual scripting language similar to the UDK's in Unity called Playmaker, but it's an add on you have to pay for its around $100 or something. Did you use kismet or code your game by hand with unreal script? I started looking at the UDK originally, however I found almost no solid tutorials for unreal script or even kismet (not ones that do a game from start to finish anyways) There are a lot of good Unity video tutorials on 3Dbuzz.com, from just the basic workings of the unity interface to coding in C#. Good luck!

8. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

You just bought yourself another warning by insulting Legend411. Keep it up and you might find yourself on the other side of the door.

9. Morning

Morning

Kimset in unreal was not meant to make games from start to finish, it was meant as an easy to use ingame logic maker for stuff like opening doors, giving items and other support abilities, not make games.
    Just saying.

10. Demostenes

Demostenes

Insulting? It looks like you are abusing your moderator rights for personal vendetta. It is really funny, how you ignore insults of others. You are obviously unable to stay neutral. I would call that big moderating fail.
    OK, as you wish. I will bet, that this is not how Unity wants to communicate to customers and rest of world.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  11. nipoco

nipoco

Come on! Other people here are not better.

So either you do your moderation in a fair manner, or you let it be.

Or better, just close this thread. Because it is heading obviously in a immature and ridiculous direction like most of those threads.

12. jtehlert

jtehlert

I just wanted simple answers, but instead my thread blew up :(

13. npsf3000

npsf3000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY2RaPJCGKE

I think we covered that:

Importing the game will be relatively easy, scaleform may be difficult to replicate, and the default graphics of UDK may look slightly better [you'd need to spend time on shaders etc.] off the top of my head. If you have more questions restate them, or open a new thread, 'cause otherwise they are going to be lost in this little 'discussion' :p

14. KarelA

KarelA

Yes you are absolutely right. This means you are gonna be first who is going to release a decent game that is made with Unity engine...

Oh you and your 1K to 4K normal maps :D

15. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

He is not abusing his rights in any way. YOU started this argument, and YOU continued to make things worse.

Now to get back on topic. Unity has heaps of publishing options. It can publish for PC, Mac, Web, iOS, android, and flash. Though iOS and android cost extra, and flash publishing is still in the beta stage.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  16. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Maybe within the scope of this thread, but spend some more time here and you'll notice Demostenes brings unwarranted vitriol to every thread he visits. It's getting tiresome.

17. cannon

cannon

For some perspective on what happened, previously, probably less than 15 minutes prior to that warning Demostenes was threadlocked in a thread where he argued with a mod that "he should make himself useful and give him Unity's address so he could send them his NDA" so he could send his project to Unity so Unity would fix their bug etc.

OP should probably start a new thread since this one's pretty derailed, though as a parting bit, Scaleform class UIs is the hardest part of his project to replicate in Unity, and he should probably research that first.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  18. janpec

janpec

I dont think that OP should make new thread, there is ocean of threads with similar question to his where he can find answer and besides that his questions are way to general from the start, so you cant expect any serious replys. UDKvsUnityvsCry has been drag to the hell and back again, unless there are some really specific questions that OP can provide for his project it doesnt make sense to open those threads again and again.

19. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Agreed... closing it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.