Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Working FMOD plugin for iOS - who is interested?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gregzo, Feb 21, 2012.

1. gregzo

gregzo

Hi!

I am the commissioner, and now proud owner, of a plugin that allows playback of FMOD Designer generated content on iOS. The plugin was coded by Stéphane Intissar, author of Tower Ant.

The plugin enables methods to :

start/stop events (simple and multitrack) and cues(musicSystem).
    get/set parameters (musicSystem and eventSystem)
    get/set volume( (musicSystem and eventSystem)
    get event/cue state
    get cue list as string
    get group list as string
    get event list as string from group
    set reverb

There is however an important restriction : the plugin has to disable Unity's sound engine(FMOD as well) in order to avoid conflicts.

I am using this plugin for my own projects, and would consider selling it on the asset store if there is enough interest. However, I do not have the time nor the coding skills to do more than a tutorial on installing the plugin - minimal support is to be expected.

If one of you would be interested in collaborating, I am all ears : expanding the plugin/taking care of support against a share of the revenue for example.

Let me know!

Gregzo

2. AgentTom

AgentTom

I'm keen to help out on this project.

I've just recently figured out how to do this as well. It's not all that hard but there will be regular work involved in supporting all the features of FMOD.

It would also be great if we could find a way of doing this without disabling Unity's own sound engine as well. This works fine for all platforms except iOS, so presumably there would be a workaround, I just haven't figured it out yet.

3. Mainvolume

Mainvolume

I am very interested in using the plugin. Also I would love to learn how to make a FMOD plugin for iOS unity if you could find the time to write a how-to.
    The disabling of unity´s own engine is not a problem in my case, and I would preferably use the fmod builds instead for this particular project.

Looking forward to your replies.
    Kindest regards.

4. jarosenblum

jarosenblum

Very interested in a plug that works for web delivery, and that allows for audio streaming.

5. BuzzJive_Legacy

BuzzJive_Legacy

So does anybody have any pointers on this? Since there isn't a plugin in the asset store, I was thinking of giving this a shot myself to get access to some extra FMOD functionality. If anybody wants to share some of their findings, that would be much appreciated.

6. gregzo

gregzo

Hi to all!

As stated in my first post, I'm not a professional dev. And sorry for not feeding this thread: I've been kept away from Unity by my main job (composing) lately.

I will have more time starting from the 16th of june.

Again, this plugin I commissioned for my personal use. I would consider a partnership with a more experienced dev, or a release on the asset store if there's enough interest in such a raw product, which clearly there isn't at the moment (4 replies in more than 3 months...).

Please understand that the plugin cost me some money, and I can't just sell the code for 50 bucks to anyone, who might then improve the package and sell it on the store! I would simply lose my edge, and make very little...

I apoligize if I come across as a tease, but I will only consider proposals to buy the whole thing from me (including, of course, exclusive rights outside the use I would make of it), or a partnership to refine and market it.

I'm generaly very happy to share code I've developed myself for free (see my write to wav post), but here I've invested quite a bit!

Do let me know of your thoughts,

Gregzo

7. gregzo

gregzo

Hi,

In it's current state, the plugin is iOS only.

8. AdbC99

AdbC99

Hi Gregzo, I'm up for testing this, I've had it up to my eyeballs with Unity's audio engine not doing anything in time (and the critical memory leaks don't help) and so want to find any way I can to migrate away from it. I'll do whatever I can to support, I can also do things like shunt over some Audio Copy Paste code, I'm not an objective-c developer but I managed to hack it together enough so that it works.

9. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

hi Gregzo
    if 4.0 won't bring better FMOD integration, i think your plugin will be very appreciated (and probably i'll buy it)
    but i'd wait for some more release notes on the imminent 4.0 beta

10. Red Roo

Red Roo

Hi Gregzo,

Just discovered this gem - I'm very keen to see FMOD Designer's functionality made compatible with Unity in mobile applications. How's it going with finding a collaborative partner in developing the plug-in further? Have you given any more thought to making it available on the asset store? I understand your hesitation, but I hope we can find a way to get this baby out there! Sooner rather than later. Thanks for posting!

Edit: Also, has anyone gotten a crack at 4.0?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  11. jackalborn_sean

jackalborn_sean

Seriously? In the Unity community forum? You have to be S***ting me.

Also, we would be interested in seeing what sort of stuff comes out of your project for potential asset store purchase.

12. Alf203

Alf203

English is probably not your native language or maybe you have never heard this expression before. Regardless, he meant something along the lines of : "Has anyone tried 4.0 yet ? " Its an idiom...

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/have+a+crack+at

13. jackalborn_sean

jackalborn_sean

..ooor i misread "at" as "for" and I apologies to Red Roo, sorry for my misread Red Roo.
    Your response however informative Alf, makes me think you're are a prick.
    But much like my very own mistake, I accept that you too are only human and are probably not bad guy/gal. Rather it may be my own misinterpretation of your response as that of an impudent prick.
    So I'm sorry for thinking you're a prick.
    If I am however mistaken, and you are indeed a prick, feel free to F*** right off.
    Not a very good apology, and I apologies for that. ..And having this thread turned by way of my actions. <3

14. Alf203

Alf203

A lot of people on this board are not native english speakers (myself included by the way). I don't know why you would prefer to interpret what I wrote as something offensive, but I guess I can understand. In the end, we are both human. Though one of us seems to have a bigger ego (joke) :p.

Seriously, if you were offended by the way I answered, then I am sorry - as I really didn't intend it to be offensive. I'm sure you're a good guy/gal but there's no need to turn it into something it isn't and resort to name calling and using insults.

On another more cheerful note, I am looking forward to this FMOD plugin.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  15. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

It would be a shame to see this thread closed for reasons unrelated to op.
    Gregzo, any news on this plugin ?