Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3.5 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AngryAnt, Feb 20, 2012.

1. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Last week, after a successful public beta, we shipped Unity 3.5. Thank you to the 50,000+ beta users who helped make this one of our best releases to date.

This free update represents another massive expansion of the capabilities of your favorite game engine. Some of the highlights include:

• Completely redesigned particle system "Shuriken": A lot more power and configurability at better performance with great new tools.
    • Another iteration of Umbra occlusion culling - delivering higher quality at much better baking speeds.
    • Brand new level of detail system - allowing you to easily tweak your runtime workload without compromising results.
    • New HDR and linear space lighting options - facilitating awesome visuals by giving you those all important tweakables.
    • Google Chrome Native Client deployment: Webplayers no longer require a plugin install to run in Google Chrome.
    • Built-in pathfinding and local navigation: Quickly bake a NavMesh in the editor and use it for player or AI navigation with runtime avoidance.

For a list of the more than 400 new features and improvements in Unity 3.5, check out http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new.

Flash Public Preview
    Even though 3.5 has shipped, we are continuing the public preview of our upcoming Flash Publishing license — all Unity 3.5 users can access this build target.

2. Jarlaxe

Jarlaxe

Whohooo !

Congratulation for your amazing work !

3. atmuc

atmuc

all Unity 3.5 users can access this build target free, cannot they?

4. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

GZ ^^

5. Phil W

Phil W

Flash target is available for free during the Preview phase. When it goes Final I understand it will be an additional [paid] License upgrade (so the same approach as iOS, Android).

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Quick question: Where can people access the 3.5 version of the Webplayer plugin for Internet Explorer (64bit)? Awesome update by the way! :)

7. jakovd

jakovd

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unity+web+player
    (there is no special, 64bit version, if that's what you are referring with this question)

8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yes, that's what I was asking. For 3.4 there was a 64-bit plugin for IE and I'm getting reports of issues with the 3.5 plugin when used with the 64-bit version of IE. Sounds like it's time to investigate this a bit further and possibly file a bug report. Thanks!

9. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

Wish they would fixed the bugs I reported in the beta.
    my rigidbody ball behaves like if on ice when on objects that are part of lod groups.
    http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?435393_njitudfpv1t6b9fa

collider.radius = 10; example code form spherecollider.radius causes a error with pragma strict
    http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?439311_6f81kbofv9p1o7jb

Still have to test if I can bake my lightmaps now.
    http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?442253_pp0ceddc805oqtur

So my expectations were a bit high for the official release.

10. atmuc

atmuc

does all unity users include free version users?

11. wkmccoy

wkmccoy

I wanted to know if the 3.4.1 webplayer would still play content published in 3.5 I understand some of the classes(new) would require an update, but overall will it work in the prev. webplayer. We don't allow our computers to update on their own (700+) as they are controled and behind a firewall. If I switch to 3.5, will I need to make sure we update the webplayer on the machines ? Please advise on what we might be facing as far as using 3.5 to publish. (my first real need is Occlusion Culling and just the better code) : ]

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, anything made in 3.5 needs the 3.5 webplayer.

--Eric

13. renman3000

renman3000

Does anyone know when 3.5.1 is expected to be released? And if it will have sorted this XCode issue?

14. SteveJ

SteveJ

What's the XCode issue people are talking about? I've been building to device on latest everything and not had any issues. Is it only when building for the store or something?

15. renman3000

renman3000

I recently updated my iOS to 5.1. Then in my builds to XCode, 4.2(?), Snow Leopard I would get a crash as i built to device. The crash was caused because, as the console reported, that since i am using Unity Basic, I am not allowed to remove my splash screen.

So, i found a solution, XCode 4.3.0. And Lion. That worked for 24 hours, but today XCode 4.3 is saying that my iOS is too high. I need 5.0 or lower.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  16. KEMBL

KEMBL

Exclusive thx for this fix in 3.5.6f4 webplayer:
    Windows: Fixed issue where batchmode players and webplayers could be limited only to run on cpu0

Now all CPU cores success loaded by webplayer and FPS go high! Thnx!!

17. Jônatas

Jônatas