Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NGUI: Free Edition

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ArenMook, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ArenMook

ArenMook

It breaks if Standard Assets or Plugins folder has any script that gets compiled. It's something on the Unity's side that no one quite understands.

2. RaysFan

RaysFan

awesome!!!! I have been waiting for something like this to come along! This can definitely help in my teams game!

3. RaysFan

RaysFan

Am I able to use this for our free game?

4. ArenMook

ArenMook

No, you need to pick up a standard version of NGUI for that. NGUI Free is only for development, evaluational, educational and/or internal use.

5. RaysFan

RaysFan

OK! It doen't matter...I am not doing a game anymore anyways! Although, NGUI does look cool!

6. renman3000

renman3000

Hi,
    Does the free version provide the ability to give a imported font an outline? Does the full?
    Thank you?

7. ArenMook

ArenMook

Yeah, select a label and specify effect to be "Outline".

8. renman3000

renman3000

Thanks!

If I only want to use the font outline, what file, from the import do I need to keep? I am just trying to minimize memory use, for porting to the iOS? Is there a single file I can leave checked while not including the rest?

9. ArenMook

ArenMook

It's the same as any other font. The outline is a dynamic effect achieved by drawing the text multiple times (so I don't recommend using it for mobiles -- you'll get better performance by baking it into your texture in Photoshop).

10. renman3000

renman3000

RIGHT!!
    I never thought of that!!
    Than you!!!

11. renman3000

renman3000

Wait,
    how do I get the font texture? The only files I have access to are the Font Material and Font Texture. The Font Texture is not able to open in Photoshop.

??

12. ArenMook

ArenMook

Follow the video tutorial. It explains everything. There is no such thing as a "font texture".

13. renman3000

renman3000

Um, sorry, but which video tutorial. Its just that this, I think, is a separate issue from NGUI.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  14. ArenMook

ArenMook

15. renman3000

renman3000

Thank you.

16. renman3000

renman3000

You use BMFont or VMFont. The closest comparable I could find on the Mac end is AngelCode. However, all of thier files are .exe. so I can not use them. Any ideas?

17. ArenMook

ArenMook

I believe all solutions on macs are paid, but there are more of them. BMGlyph, Hiero, Glyph Designer to name 3 of them.

18. RaysFan

RaysFan

Hey Aren,
    Could you possibly recommend anything to me that is free and could help me make GUI Windows easily?

19. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

ArenMook...
    Man, I really like your NGUI....
    It is so easy to use... and even for me....
    I laid out the basics of what I wanted in my project and let my code guy add some of the functionallity then I took care of adding the http links...
    I totally like your product.
    Very soon we will be launching our project but you can see our work in the first pic in the last post under "Showcase"/"Cool images"
    Thanks for your product and your hard work...
    It made our work sooooo much easier....

20. unitynewb

unitynewb

I'm having the same namespace error with the free version, but I need to use my plugins folder. If I buy the full version will it work and allow me to keep my plugins folder?

21. ArenMook

ArenMook

22. SevenBits

SevenBits

You mean GUIs in the Win32 API? There's .NET, which I don't like. There's wxWidgets, which is okay but massive (talking 20 MiB), and I personally prefer Vala. All of these are in C++.

23. RaysFan

RaysFan

I needs something for making GUI's for Unity that are easy and good.

24. N1nja

N1nja

Assets/Dependencies/Plugins/UI/UIInput.cs(13,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIBaseInput' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    Assets/Dependencies/Plugins/UI/UILabel.cs(11,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIBaseLabel' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    Assets/Dependencies/Plugins/UI/UIPanel.cs(19,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIBasePanel' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    Assets/Dependencies/Plugins/UI/UITexture.cs(17,26): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIWidget' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

I too am having this problem, where for some reason or another its not recognizing the DLL =| or rather building a shared assembly using the namespace/classes from it

25. ArenMook

ArenMook

Be sure to get the latest free version, it shouldn't have the issue.

26. Mauri

Mauri

I've sent an PM to you. Dunno if you already saw it ^^

27. Apiweb

Apiweb

The free version of NGUI is not updated? I was seeing here the last free version is 2.0.7 and the latest version is pro 2.2.6 with several bug fixes.

28. ArenMook

ArenMook

Free version doesn't get updated often.

29. Harter

Harter

I downloaded package from first post... Why even first example scene gives 8 draw calls in Unity Pro? Now I'm afraid to buy it.

30. ArenMook

ArenMook

Because of the watermark and Unity's GUI text that's used to display the messages.

31. cloyd

cloyd

i have ngui to angry bots project, and when i run the examples of ngui(example 3) it doesn't seem to work. buttons show up fine, but when a mouse hover happens, or the button clicked, the button show no response.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening?

32. ArenMook

ArenMook

Raycast Hit Triggers must be turned on in the physics settings.

33. StridingDragon

StridingDragon

I can't even get the free version installed in Unity 4. I keep getting a slew of errors, all of the same type

`UnityEngine.GameObject.active' is obsolete: `GameObject.active is obsolete. Use GameObject.SetActive(), GameObject.activeSelf or GameObject.activeInHierarchy.'

Does anyone know what's going on?

34. ArenMook

ArenMook

They're warnings, not errors. Free version was built back in May last year, long before 4.0. Full version of NGUI is fully compatible with 4.0.

35. DevionGames

DevionGames

Hello, i have owned NGUI standard and would like to intergate the free edition with my new asset. When are you planning to upgrate the distribution version, so i can replace the standard NGUI without problems?

36. ArenMook

ArenMook

It should still be backwards compatible as far as playback of UIs goes. I don't have a specific date to give you as I am really busy right now.

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

I wasn't sure if I should splash out the money on NGUI, I'm going to give the free version a lash and if I can use it (beginner) ill be throwing my money at you :)

38. TB0Y298

TB0Y298

Amazing! But i have one question about it.
    How do i change this text? (wich script or gameobject)

*SEE ATTACHEMENT*

39. Mauri

Mauri

You can't change this, because it's a limitation of the Free version. The full version of NGUI doesn't have this.

40. TB0Y298

TB0Y298

Really?! thats weird. I have to find it somewhere in the editor, right?

41. Mauri

Mauri

What do you mean?
    You can't change or remove this watermark in the free version, because it's a limitation of the free version itself (also stated in the opening post of this thread). If you buy the full version, this watermark gets removed.

42. TB0Y298

TB0Y298

K, thanks

43. Stilghar

Stilghar

Hi,

A friend and me are developing a shmup with Unity and we were thinking on using nGUI as it will be pretty intensive on UI ascpects (shop, story and whatnot...). Now the question:

- Can I use the free version with the last version of Unity or is not compatible?
    - When we finally move from the free version to the Pro one do we need to buy it twice? I'll be doing the GUI and he'll be mostly on the gameplay. We use SVN. Basically this question is related to everything in the Asset store. Do we need to buy everything twice? Even if only one of us is finally using it?

Thanks,

Stilghar

44. ArenMook

ArenMook

No, just once. Yes it's compatible, but free version is quite old (May last year), and will have warnings in Unity 4. And of course, being old, some features will be missing.

45. Gwolf-Studios

Gwolf-Studios

Will the tutorials for the full version work with the free version or will they not work because of some differences?

46. ArenMook

ArenMook

They work fine.

47. ryba

ryba

Can i release game using free version of NGUI ? I dont want to sell it for money (if it comes to that point i would buy NGUI first - but till than i would rather avoid any costs), only release it in prototypes that i want to show ppl for feedback.

48. ArenMook

ArenMook

Of course.

49. nitishk

nitishk

I have the free version of NGUI but I would now like to upgrade to the commercial version. What is the easiest way to do this making sure not to break any refrences etc.. I dont want to have to go through and re-assign all my scripts and references. Is it really as simple as deleting the NGUI folder and simply re importing it? I hope that wont break the metadata etc

50. ArenMook

ArenMook

Just follow the instructions in the readme. It's a 3 step process.