Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NGUI: Free Edition

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ArenMook, Feb 19, 2012.

1. JasonBNCSoft

JasonBNCSoft

Is the API limited in the free release? I'm not seeing an NGUITools.AddChild that takes two parameters but I see references to that in your forums that are not more than a week old.

2. ArenMook

ArenMook

The free version contains what was there in 1.68. There have been quite a few updates since then, but all of them have been backwards-compatible -- so all the features of 1.68 are still supported in the latest version.

3. leafaria

leafaria

Thank you for sharing! Hope it will be helpful

4. Nemox

Nemox

This tool is so great and flawless that it should be baseline for Unity! Maybe such a deal could be even more profitable than individual sales.

5. McGivvern

McGivvern

I could say I like this, and I actually will....

I like this....

Since my project will be in a development state for quite some time yet I am going to take a leap and try this out.

It would be a shame if this blew up in your face ArenMook, since it looks to me like a MUST-HAVE.

To bad I already am over my budget or I would buy :-(

You Rock, man, You Rock BigTime

Greetings, Frank (aka McGivvern)

6. coolmonk7

coolmonk7

It says in console "Assets/NGUI/Scripts/UI/UIAtlas.cs(23,48): error CS0117: `Resources' does not contain a definition for `FindObjectsOfTypeAll'"
    Please help me! :(
    Thanks
    Alex

7. ArenMook

ArenMook

NGUI requires Unity 3.4.2 or newer, and doesn't support 3.5.0 beta.

8. Km0nk3y

Km0nk3y

Im looking forward to it =) Only heard good things about NGUI but the price has set me away previously.

9. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

I was pointed here from this thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/137743-Help-me-choose-a-UI-Framework

I have downloaded the free version and installed it into my current project. I am using the most current version of Unity (3.5.2), and the project does not seem to recognize the DLL. I am getting type or namespace errors on most of the things in the DLL: (The type or namespace name `UIWidget' could not be found.). Am I fundamentally misunderstanding what I am supposed to do with this package? I have not placed the DLLs in any special location or directory, but simply loaded the unity package and they are resident where they unpacked: in Assets/NGUI/DLLs. The readme doesn't seem to indicate that I should do anything special when installing the package. I have looked on the website: http://www.tasharen.com/?page_id=197 and I have discovered this page: http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0 and updated the DLLs as well, but they seem to reside in the same location. My project is a C# project, so I shouldn't need to do the "plugins" trick.

What am I missing?

[edit]

This seems to be related to my project.

The package installs without error into a new empty project.

I will update as I progress.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  10. ArenMook

ArenMook

I'm not sure why your project wouldn't recognize the DLL. NGUI Free was updated yesterday to be up to date with the latest version of NGUI (2.0.7c), and it was built with 3.5.2.

P.S. I hope you are extracting it into a clean project. If you're extracting NGUI into the same project as UIToolkit or EZGUI, it won't work. Both have similarly named classes.

11. Amon

Amon

After trying the free version, and being that there is an Asset Store Madness promo going, I bought the full version. :)

Can't say much other than I am completely satisfied with the purchase. It is a true time saver and is fast. :)

12. replicante

replicante

:cool:

Thks so much for this! I will donate to you when i use it on a commercial project....!!! Keep it up, you are super pro!

13. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

On Mac I am able to build for Mac and Web Player fine. However, when building for iOS I get the following two build errors:

I am able to build my other iOS projects fine. Is iOS compatibility not available in the free trial version?

14. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

Oddly - this seems to be a conflict with the TestFilghtSDK as applied by AutoPilot.

Could this be a DLL import conflict?

AutoPilot uses a DLL, and when it is in the Plugins Folder (where AutoPilot installs it) then I get a console full of red baubles.

If I move the TestFlightSDK into the Webplayer Templates folder (where it won't compile) then NGUI seems to work fine.

Link:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/10...he-asset-store?p=941196&viewfull=1#post941196

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  15. ArenMook

ArenMook

@numberkruncher: I don't think the Free version will build for iOS. Full version does.

@Sun Dog: I am not familiar with that package, but it may be possible if both have classes with the same names.

16. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

TBH: I'm not sure...

I tired to see if the errors were the same in my project. I use AutoPilot and downloaded NGUI free. I get the same set of errors.

These are the errors (duplicates ignored) that I'm getting in specific:

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/NGUI/Examples/Scripts/Other/PanWithMouse.cs(8,29): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `IgnoreTimeScale' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    2. Assets/NGUI/Scripts/Interaction/UIButtonPlayAnimation.cs(7,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `AnimationOrTween' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    3. Assets/NGUI/Scripts/UI/UIAtlas.cs(15,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIBaseAtlas' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    4. Assets/NGUI/Scripts/UI/UICamera.cs(31,25): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIBaseCamera' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    5. Assets/NGUI/Scripts/UI/UISprite.cs(15,25): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIBaseSprite' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    6. Assets/NGUI/Scripts/UI/UISprite.cs(15,25): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIBaseSprite' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    7. Assets/NGUI/Scripts/UI/UIInput.cs(13,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIBaseInput' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    8. Assets/NGUI/Scripts/UI/UILabel.cs(11,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIBaseLabel' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    9. Assets/NGUI/Scripts/UI/UIPanel.cs(19,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIBasePanel' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    10. Assets/NGUI/Scripts/UI/UITexture.cs(17,26): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UIWidget' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    These just don't seem to be the same things that an iOS app deployment package would be using.

I don't get the error if the AutoPilot DLL is NOT in plugins (but in root). As I have a C# project, I suppose that the AutoPilot DLL doesn't need to be in plugins...

I'll keep investigating as well.

[EDIT]

Moreover: AutoPilot is not using a DLL, really, but is using a C# script to import a DLL as needed using [DllImport ("string name")]

17. ArenMook

ArenMook

Does AutoPilot do something weird with other DLLs?

18. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

@ArenMook Can you link me to a couple of games that were made using NGUI on the iPhone? I would like to see it in action on my phone if possible :)

Cheers

19. ArenMook

ArenMook

20. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

21. ArenMook

ArenMook

Yes but on iPhone it isn't using Unity or NGUI. :p

22. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Oh... Do you know what it is using? Wonder why they changed?

23. illinar

illinar

In my project I'm launching NGUI (free version) examples but no input is working. When example scenes are using Input Settings like Axis that I removed, I'm getting an error messages of course, but in "Draggable Window" scene I also have no Input working but no error messages. In a new project everything is working fine though. I wonder what is wrong? How NGUI deals with input? I thought it's just Ray casting mouse.

24. ArenMook

ArenMook

25. ArenMook

ArenMook

Temple Run on iOS was created long before NGUI came about. Temple Run for Android was a complete re-make.

26. rextr09

rextr09

@Little Angel, Do you have UIToolkit imported in your project? In my case, UIToolkit and NGUI conflicted and gave those errors.

27. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

@ArenMook Temple Run is very addictive!

I have been watching videos on YouTube of the Android version (don't have an Android device yet) and the whole game appears to be a lot less smooth than the iPhone version). The GUI seems to delay a little on the Android version.

28. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I'm experiencing this error with NGUI Free + Thinkscroller (or almost all of my products) as well. Using an older version of NGUI Free (one without NGUI_Editor.dll), this issue goes away.

The problem only arises when there is a folder named Plugins, with a C# script in it, as is the case with various Asset Store packages. As soon as that happens, NGUI will throw a bunch of compile-time errors.

It seems to be a Unity bug though, with script compilation order. I've sent a bug report.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  29. ArenMook

ArenMook

I'll have Phil look into this tomorrow.

30. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thinksquirrel: May I have the report number?

31. paperab

paperab

I confirm the free edition just downloaded is presenting a lot of errors because some conflicts.

If imported into a new project it compiles.

Please correct it because it is giving the impression that the software is not solid: it is not helpful to blame existing packages for not being compatible.
    Corrections (or workaround) should be documented so people can understand what they are using.

Thanks and compliments for the great product !!

32. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Sure thing: Case 468368.

33. taku

taku

looks like a nice gui solution. Considering to purchase the full version

34. jake-gr

jake-gr

So with an existing project that has a "Plugins" folder, how can I import this without the massive errors?
    I tried to move the entire NGUI folder into Plugins, and clears out the errors, but still leaves...

Assets/Plugins/NGUI/Scripts/Editor/ComponentSelector.cs(81,25): error CS0103: The name `NGUIEditorTools' does not exist in the current context

Any help would be appreciated, unless the only option is to start from a blank project.

35. ArenMook

ArenMook

I think until Unity fixes whatever causes that issue there isn't a whole lot that can be done.

36. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This issue has been acknowledged and escalated. I'm unclear when the solution will be available, however. Because this is DLL issue, one solution would be to take advantage of the Asset Store's Asset Madness sale and get the full version, but for some this won't be the perfect solution.

37. jake-gr

jake-gr

well for now, i just changed my "Plugins" folder to "Plugins_" and all works fine hehe

38. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

The main reason to have any files in the "plugins" folder is to control the order of compilation. Certain folders, including "plugins", will compile first and then the remaining scripts in the project will be compiled. This is a way to control certain situations, usually mixed languages, where compilation order is important. If, for example, you have a set of scripts in C# that define a framework (... a GUI solution or whatever ...) but are writing your project in Javascript, you must compile the C# scripts first. One way to do this is put the C# scripts into the plugins folder. If you have a C# project, you could choose to move that C# GUI framework out of the "plugins" folder (or rename it) and it will not effect the compilation.

39. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

I am experimenting with NGUI, and I have two issues.

First, I am trying to create a virtual button. If the button is held down, the player should move forward, and if the button is released, the player should stop.

I have tried it in the following way:

Code (csharp):
    1. function OnPress ()
    2. {
    3.     pController.goUp = true;
    4. }
    6. function OnRelease()
    7. {
    8.     pController.goUp = false;
    9. }
    Secondly, I want my buttons to work in the following way:
    When I click on the button, the tween effects should play from start to finish. But instead, if I release th button, the tween effects stops as well. To counter this, I have created a custom script:

Code (csharp):
    1. function OnClick()
    2. {
    3.     tweenColor.enabled = true;
    4.     tweenScale.enabled = true;
    6.     yield WaitForSeconds(0.4);
    8.     tweenColor.enabled = false;
    9.     tweenScale.enabled = false;
    11.     label.color = Color.white;
    12.     this.transform.localScale   = Vector3(1, 1, 1);
    13. }
    But with this script, the tweens start to "break" after a few clicks.

Is there any solutions for my problems?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  40. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

NGUI really needs a proper gui editor that helps you build not only widgets but also strings them together to make proper structured interfaces. I found it cumbersome to have to write extra code just to make this happen. It really shouldn't be that much of an effort.

41. ArenMook

ArenMook

@Dreeka: For support, please use the support forum. There are many people there that can help.

@ImaginaryHuman: You'll have to elaborate.

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Aren, I have been watching NGUI progress...and even the tutorials have me hooked... will I be able to work on a GUI for a fighting game, for stuff like life bars?

43. ArenMook

ArenMook

44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

45. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Aren, i just installed NGUI and I just got a bunch of errors when I went to use it... here are a few of the erriors:

Assets/NGUI/Examples/Scripts/Other/PanWithMouse.cs(8,29): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `IgnoreTimeScale' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/NGUI/Scripts/Interaction/UIButtonPlayAnimation.cs(7,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `AnimationOrTween' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Is there a solution to this one?

46. ArenMook

ArenMook

Start a fresh project. Free version of NGUI fails to compile if there is a Standard Assets or Plugins folder present. It's a known issue on the Unity's side.

47. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

crap...and i have a project already in progress... and it is not going to work anyway in my case, I am using the deferred renderer... :(

48. ArenMook

ArenMook

Standard version of NGUI works fine, which is the important thing. My suggestion -- try using NGUI in a fresh project, and if you like it, take advantage of the madness sale. It ends on the 23rd.

49. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Oh okay... :D

50. EvilEngel

EvilEngel

ArenMook: are you saying that as long as you start with a fresh project it works even when you later add unity packages? Or only while the project is empty and only the NGUI package has been imported. Because that is what I'm seeing: adding any of the packages I need immediately breaks it and you get that "type or namespace not found" error.

BTW, this problem is annoying, but I'm loving NGUI so far!