Search Unity

Lightprobes.positions Read Only! Light Probe Bake Question (possible bug)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Stephan-B, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Currently the Lightprobes.positions are read-only which makes it impossible to use a dynamic tiling setup. Although I can bake lightmaps and probe solutions for each individual tile, when those tiles will be instantiated in different places, their Light probe solution will still consider them at their position where they were first baked.

I tested baking Probes solutions with a Tileset and LightProbeGroup located at (0, 0, 0). Lights were all part of this Tileset and moved with the tileset. Basically the position of everything was relative to the location of the tileset (0, 0, 0).

First... I noticed that when I bake this Probe solution without changing anything, the coefficients for the probe solution would change. Ie. Hit Bake Probes. Look at values. Hit Bake Probes. Look at values and these values change from bake to bake although nothing has been moved. Is this normal behavior?

Seconds, when I moved the tileset to (12, 0, 0) and Bake Probes, the coefficient values certainly seemed consistent with the bake at (0, 0, 0). Although the values changed, the change was consistent with what I state above.

Unless I am missing something, I am assuming that the Probes bake solution would be the same provided the location of the probes and lights (sources) remained the same relative to each other. That moving all of them as group would not alter the results of the bake unless some outside of the group lighting influence.

Assuming the above is true, I understand how making the Lightprobes.positions relative to the LightprobeGroup and updating these positions in the Lightprobe bake solution every time the LightprobeGroup is moved would be an issue. However, allowing us to change Lightprobes.positions via script as we setup or load scenes would do the trick.

So unless their is an issue with it, please allow us to change the Lightprobes.positions

ksam2 likes this.
  2. Morning

Morning

Isn't the word "baked" telling that it's baked and static? Are light probes even supposed to be movable after bake?

3. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

What is baked is the SH Coefficient calculations which represents lighting information as it relates to the location of lighting in relationship to the Probes. If you maintain this relationship and move everything as a group, it should still work.

ksam2 likes this.
  4. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Could I please get feedback from someone at UT on this?

Would it be possible to allow us to change the Lightprobes.positions?

Assuming the relationship of the lighting and the probes remains the same, the location of them as a group should not impact or change the coefficient results and allow us to use probes when creating dynamic levels / layouts.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  5. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Sorry to keep bumping this but I really really want to get an update on this. I would love to be able to use Probes for scene that are dynamically loaded.

ksam2 likes this.
  6. alleycatsphinx

alleycatsphinx

Double bump! Our corner case is spreading! <3

7. zyzyx

zyzyx

Bump!
    Has anyone solved this yet?

8. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Yeah... I would still love to be able to change the lightprobe positions as well now as being able to assign a NavMesh and offset it's bake position similar to Lightprobes as NavMesh suffers even more than Probes because not only can you not offset the bakes solution but you can't even assign a new one.

9. zyzyx

zyzyx

Oh, so Navmeshes too cannot be saved in a Prefab to instantiate it at rumtime? This is very unfortunate, since my current project relies heavily on dynamic content.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  10. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

It is (sort of) worst for Navmesh. You can assign a new lightprobe solution to renderers but you cannot assign a new navmesh.

It would be so great if we could bake tiles (let's say at (0,0,0) which would containing your probes, navmesh, lightmaps, geometry, etc... for that tile and then dynamically instantiate this content in some other location (provided everything remains relative to each other) it would work. As your character would transition from one tile area to the other, you would switch which navmesh, probes, lightmap, etc is being used.

11. zyzyx

zyzyx

Somehow I naively assumed this would already be possible :(
    I wonder if there is a plausible explanation why we cannot do such things.

12. zyzyx

zyzyx

Bump!

13. rijahkaz

rijahkaz

This would be great. Any news? UT guys? :)

14. zyzyx

zyzyx

Bump!

15. patte88

patte88

Anyone knows if this could be solved with Light Probe Anchor property ?

16. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

I was able to (trick) my way by using the Anchor property and adjusting it from tile to tile / room to room but I still would much prefer Unity made it possible for us to simply offset / modify Lightprobes positions and the same for NavMesh. (as well as being able to assign new (pre-baked) NavMesh which cannot be done currently).

As I said before, provided everything remains relative to each other it would be nice to be able to offset (move) the probes position or navmesh to enable instantiating tiles / rooms with pre-baked solutions anywhere as a group in world space.

sivrikaya likes this.
  17. ksam2

ksam2

I have same issue. I'm using floating origin script to move everything around float point center but when I move light probes it doesn't work anymore. Now you are inside Unity can you please do something for this big issue?

18. ksam2

ksam2

Anybody?

19. ksam2

ksam2

Nobody can help me anymore?

20. Crossway

Crossway

Hi. Now that you are inside unity is there any solution to move light probes?

21. KHam256

KHam256

I also need a solution for moving a lightprobe group.

My game is built in islands (imagine zelda wind waker) where each island is very far apart and players teleport between areas. Unfortunately for an accurate artifact free lightmap bake we have to bake each island at world origin point then move it back into place. The lightprobe volumes, despite the groups visually appearing to be moved, still retain their position at origin. I am seeing objects around world origin taking lighting from islands far away.

22. jister

jister

bumping this, same needs, spawn prefabs with Light probes inside.

23. RPGia

RPGia

24. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies