Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WEIRD Unity build issues!!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Meltdown, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Meltdown

Meltdown

Ok this is starting to get freaky...

I installed 3.5, for some reason the engine sounds in my racing game stopped working. They are dynamically added via script. They even appeared in the editor at run-time showing as playing, and they had volume.. if I slightly changed the volume slider at run time then the sounds started playing.. I think it's safe to say that's a Unity bug..

So I uninstalled 3.5 and went back to 3.4.2f3 and now everything is fine in the editor. But when I do a web player build.. I have the same audio issue as above for web builds, I uninstalled the 3.5 web player and re-installed the one that comes with the 3.4.2f3 installer.

To make it even more WEIRD, my 2nd camera, which renders my UI, doesn't render, or show anything.

Any suggestions??? This is as i said, just weird :confused:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. GuyTidhar

GuyTidhar

Did you use a 3.4.2f3 project backup which was not upgraded before using the 3.4.2f3 editor again (once uninstalling 3.5)?

We might have an issue with new vs old editor build issue too. While the issue is totally different, we do have a suspicion uninstalling 3.5.06b and reinstalling 3.5.0f5 had leftovers that keep clinging to our 3.5.0f5 building attempts.

3. Meltdown

Meltdown

I made a backup of the project before upgrading it to 3.5
    Once I re-installed 3.4 I restored the backup.

I'm thinking though deep down something in Unity is corrupted from the 3.5 install somehow.

4. GuyTidhar

GuyTidhar

I feel the same!

I already filed a bug for this (it could be a whole different issue then yours, so I suggest you do the same). Our issue is even worse since it completely freezes our game every time.

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

I bugged a file back on Wednesday.
    They replied asking me for my project, I said ehh I can't really.. it's 1.2 GB big lol, heard nothing since then. Although I sent them my engine controller script.

6. Meltdown

Meltdown

Ok great, strangely enough, I uninstalled the web player, Unity 3.4.2f3 and re-installed it all again, now everything works!

Although I think I'm going to wait for one or two updates before I wait for 3.5.
    My only concern now though is if I do a web build for people to test, there's a good chance they will install the 3.5 web player and my sounds/ui might not work for them :(

7. GuyTidhar

GuyTidhar

I wasn't lucky :(
    I downloaded 3.5 again.
    Uninstalled everything Unity (editor, webplayer).
    Restarted my PC.
    Installed 3.5.0f5.
    Upgraded a 3.4.2f2 project to 3.5.0f5.
    Built with 3.5.0f5.
    Play =
    freeze and unity's debugging says I have an asset built with 3.5.0b6 (WTF?).
    Annoying thing is this project was never even built using the 3.5.0b6!

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

:(
    Guess you'll have to wait for a new build.

Have you tried creating a new scene, then re-importing all your prefabs?

9. GuyTidhar

GuyTidhar

No.
    That is a good idea (though the project was never in 3.5.0b6 so it will be so weird should it help...).
    Will give that a try on my testing machine.

10. Meltdown

Meltdown

I don't know how complex your project is.. although another alternative if the new scene doesn't help is to export all prefabs as packages, then create a new project and import them all into that. Just try get basic gameplay working and see if that helps.

Hope it works out.

11. GuyTidhar

GuyTidhar

Our project is 1.4GB...
    Repackaging that is a potential catastrophe :)

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

Haha, yours is 200MB more than mine. Ok I have a good idea of the catastrophe now :)