Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] SlimNet 0.2 Beta

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by fholm, Feb 18, 2012.

1. SilentAssassin82

SilentAssassin82

Use VS C# Express to build SlimNet and the shared files and use MonoDevelop for the rest.

2. fholm

fholm

More updates, finally got the WebPlayer stuff working, here's a first screenshot of the demo running inside the webplayer:

I'm also going to hold a bit of a "stress-test" later tonight, if anyone wants to join up it will be on the #unity3d IRC channel sometime during the day/evening today.

3. orrTechnologies

orrTechnologies

Im stoked to download and try it out, have been waiting for 2.1 :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. fholm

fholm

I'm glad it's not only me at least :) Well, I'm trying to get it to you as soon as I can, really really hoping I can do it by sunday/monday.

5. orrTechnologies

orrTechnologies

How is it coming along?

6. fholm

fholm

Running out of hours per day to work on this, so need to change something drastically. From now on all development will be made publicly on github, and the project will be available for download there in it's most recent state continously. The project will be available under the following license:

I will put up the public github link tomorrow. SlimNet will not be available for purchase within the near future.

7. fholm

fholm

8. lucked

lucked

Error 1 The command "echo f | xcopy "C:\SlimNet2\Demo\MMOController\Shared\bin\Debug\MMODemo.Shared.dll" "C:\SlimNet2\Demo\MMOController\Client\Assets\SlimNet\Assemblies\" /Y
    echo f | xcopy "C:\SlimNet2\Demo\MMOController\Shared\bin\Debug\MMODemo.Shared.pdb" "C:\SlimNet2\Demo\MMOController\Client\Assets\SlimNet\Assemblies\" /Y
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\pdb2mdb.exe" "C:\SlimNet2\Demo\MMOController\Client\Assets\SlimNet\Assemblies\MMODemo.Shared.dll"" exited with code 3. MMODemo.Shared

ii got this error can u help sove?

9. fholm

fholm

Download the new version in the other thread (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/132170-SlimNet-Public-Access) and it should work.

10. lucked

lucked

i download the new vesion but , the same error when i will build in visual studio
    i use visual studio 2010
    and my windows is 7 professional 32bts
    i cant compile the server

11. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

what does slimnet do ? (I didn't see any feature description)

12. fholm

fholm

SilmNet is a networking middleware built in C#, it runs on Windows/OSX/Linux. It's used for building multiplayer games.

13. descenderdante

descenderdante

I was wondering any chance to get our hands on some documentation anytime soon.

14. fholm

fholm

Most likely not, I'm very busy with my real life duties and my day job currently. And since SlimNet is free to use I feel no *real* obligation to put out a manual, of course I want to - but as long as it's free it will be done when I have time.

15. TheSchalla

TheSchalla

Is it yet possible to access over-the-web a linux server? because I don't see some service-file for a linux server.

Thanks in advance for your answer fholm!

16. fholm

fholm

Yes you can run SlimNet 0.2.x on a Linux server and connect to it from any Unity client (Web Player, Desktop (OSX/Linux/Windows), Mobile, etc.)

17. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

@FHolm,

What's the purpose of making this experimental server which has even less features than TNET/ UDP, uLink and Photon with non-commercial license restriction - and very high licensing costs, no updates for months on end?

For using this server commercially
    - for around 3x times less - you can buy Photon Unlimited or SmartFox unlimited and get free support.
    - for around 10x times less, you can buy uLink,
    - for around 20x times less - you can buy TNet and Aren Mook often updates his TNet.
    - for around 50x times less - you can buy Photon Cloud Indie small CCU edition for the whole year.

I can understand the spirit of open-source where you have GPLv2, MIT and BSD, where you respect the licensing, but ...

this restriction where your sources are so bare-boned, so basic and so high-priced to license commercially and it would take months and months to even reach basic functionality found in Photon/Cloud or TNet or uLink or even Photon server?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  18. fholm

fholm

Joe: I think you missunderstood something. SlimNet is not for sale in general. I have sold source code licenses to a few people, but it's not promoted as something that "is for sale". The reason the license is so restrictive on Github is because I don't believe giving away my work for people to use commerically.