4 3.85%
  • OMG, this is awesome. I would pay $500 or more

8 7.69%
  • Other, leave comment

2 1.92%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

1. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlockyBuild1400 View Post
    Wow cool and thanks for replying, what I mean by block size is changing all the blocks to different sizes, atm I would like blocks smaller than minecraft so they can be densly packed and add more detail to the terrain.
    You mean somthing like in BlockWorld on Android? There you can dig and build blocks with different time at the same world.

2. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    You mean somthing like in BlockWorld on Android? There you can dig and build blocks with different time at the same world.
    Not sure what you mean by "build blocks with different time at the same world"
    But I took a look at BlockWorld, seems that Minecraft inspired many, must feel great to be an inspirer like Notch and the devs of Infinminer.

3. Posts
    Wow cool and thanks for replying, what I mean by block size is changing all the blocks to different sizes, atm I would like blocks smaller than minecraft so they can be densly packed and add more detail to the terrain.
    The chunks are compiled into meshes which you can add to your game objects. You have full control over the game objects, you can apply any transformation you want including scaling. If you do that, you have to make sure that when you supply player coordinates to the world, they are scaled back to 1 block per unit. The world itself works ONLY in integer coordinates for speed and accuracy.

Another way to do it, is to make your player bigger .

The current sizes are very natural to work with: 1 block per world unit, player is 1.8 blocks tall. The analogy is that 1 block is 1 meter, and 1.8 is a tall person. If you make the blocks to small compared to the player, then it takes longer for a player to dig tunnels because he would have to break more than 2 blocks to go through.
    Last edited by paulp; 02-21-2012 at 09:51 AM.

4. Posts
    Ah I see, thanks for the info, got any idea when this terrain engine could be finnished and the pricing?

5. Posts
    Ah I see, thanks for the info, got any idea when this terrain engine could be finnished and the pricing?
    This will be available in 1 or 2 weeks. There will be 2 versions with the following features:

Lite:
    • Binary libraries
    • finite world of 2048x128x2048 (this is quite big)
    • You can change the world generation algorithm as described earlier
    • API will be provided for custom blocks, up to 254
    • 1 byte for block data, for storing things like heat, humidity, facebook likes etc...
    • You will get the shader with specular and normal mapping you see in the video
    • API for you to plug in your persistence method, such as files or database
    • View distance adjustment
    • Built in flashlight
    • Colored lights
    • Animated water (I am very proud of my water)
    • Cool animated block selector you see on the demo
    • The "deal with the devil" speed you see in the demo

Pro:
    • Everything in lite plus:
    • Full source code
    • Mobile support
    • Infinite world in all directions
    • Mobile touch controller for editing world
    • More adjustable speed/performance: faster shaders for older hardware (particularly useful for mobile)
    • My gratitude

Pricing has not been determined yet.
    Last edited by paulp; 02-21-2012 at 02:30 PM.

6. Posts
    What is about Saving and loading a World? As i guess that is the Main Key in Building Games.

7. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhosay View Post
    What is about Saving and loading a World? As i guess that is the Main Key in Building Games.
    I agree. Saving to xml or other format is important future.

8. Posts
    Cool thanks, Can't wait this is gonna be amazing!!

9. Posts
    Hey guys.

I have been furiously hacking at this thing to get the api as clean as possible as well as adding some of the missing features. HeadHunter has been helping me and we managed to get this thing running in mobile:

And description of changes and screenshots

Web version

Mobile version here:
    Last edited by paulp; 02-28-2012 at 08:10 PM.

10. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    Hey guys.

I have been furiously hacking at this thing to get the api as clean as possible as well as adding some of the missing features. HeadHunter has been helping me and we managed to get this thing running in mobile:

And description of changes and screenshots

Web version

Mobile version here:
    Outstanding, nice work you guys!

11. Posts
    On your website it says blockster is a multiplayer game.
    Is there any multiplayer feature in your block engine ?

Will you continue to work on blockster ?

12. Posts
    Any news?
    When will you release it?

13. Posts
    Oh, I just saw in the other thread that you and someone else are actively developing a game.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/631...raft.../page49

Will you still release the engine on asset store?

14. Posts
    I don't think so.
    I was the first that talked to him about selling his engine. After this pool he seemed excited about the idea.
    But the last message he said his plans changed, that there wasn't money enough selling it etc. So I don't think he will sell it anymore. I tried to contact him, but he doesn't answer.
    He is, indeed, developing a new game with Headhunter. So I guess one more reason he won't sell his engine.

So, does anyone know a minecraft-like-world engine for sale? I know there are at least 7 engines on unity's forum. One, the open source, is incomplete. But none of them is for sale?

15. Posts
    You know the game Ace Of Spades? It seems like you could easily make a game like that using this

16. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgalvao View Post
    I don't think so.
    I was the first that talked to him about selling his engine. After this pool he seemed excited about the idea.
    But the last message he said his plans changed, that there wasn't money enough selling it etc. So I don't think he will sell it anymore. I tried to contact him, but he doesn't answer.
    He is, indeed, developing a new game with Headhunter. So I guess one more reason he won't sell his engine.

So, does anyone know a minecraft-like-world engine for sale? I know there are at least 7 engines on unity's forum. One, the open source, is incomplete. But none of them is for sale?
    That's the problem with those 7 engines. There are a lot of people wanting to be the next Notch and get rich creating the next minecraft. So they hold their engines with fear of competition. That's just ridiculous, there is competition already. The flood has already started. There are dozens of engines out there also. There are even good open source ones that makes you want to leave unity to use them. AceOfSpades has now an amazing competitor called Brickforce. The difference, as minecraft proved, is the gameplay. Gameplay is everything! You don't need the best graphics or the best engine, you need the best gameplay ideas. People could use the same engine with completely different gameplays. There is a lot more in a game than its basic engine. So people could sell an engine and still make a game. These are two separate things...

17. Location
    Rapid City, SD, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Immersiva View Post
    That's the problem with those 7 engines. There are a lot of people wanting to be the next Notch and get rich creating the next minecraft. So they hold their engines with fear of competition. That's just ridiculous, there is competition already. The flood has already started. There are dozens of engines out there also. There are even good open source ones that makes you want to leave unity to use them. AceOfSpades has now an amazing competitor called Brickforce. The difference, as minecraft proved, is the gameplay. Gameplay is everything! You don't need the best graphics or the best engine, you need the best gameplay ideas. People could use the same engine with completely different gameplays. There is a lot more in a game than its basic engine. So people could sell an engine and still make a game. These are two separate things...
    I agree with most of this. Graphics I'm mixed about agreeing with you on and here's why. It's not all about gameplay. Don't get me wrong, gameplay is most of it, but not everything. You have to have good looking polished graphics or it's not going to be worth a damn. Potential players will judge the game based off graphics. If you disagree, well, you have every right to. If you do disagree at least try lookign at it from a non-developer's perspective first.

18. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    Thanks everybody for your honest feedback.

I did not think there was much money in selling this in the asset store, but your feedback is convincing me otherwise.

BTW, I just though of 2 other optimization that will make it even faster!!!

There will be some work I have to do to package in a way that is easy to use.
    I also need to work a little on making it easy to extend, to let you do things like your own block types and custom terrain generation algorithm.
    I am not 100% happy with the trees either, their shape is too funky.

I do not have unity for mobile, so I can not test it myself, currently it takes about 500MB of ram to run (the demo is older and consumes significantly more memory). For the people doing mobile, is this a realistic resource requirement? otherwise, I might have to consider doing a mobile edition where I drop some of the features.
    You'll need to cut down on mobile memory pretty significantly, especially for older devices, with about 90ish MB available before you're in danger of crashing.

19. Posts
    Yeah I see your point and agree with you. Graphics are still important indeed. But they are not essential. A lot of people could live without a AAA graphics, but they couldn't live without a great gameplay. That's why gameplay is so important. And that's why I can't understand why people are locking their blocks engines as that alone would make them rich. There is a lot more than an engine, graphics included, that makes a successful game. Look at Brickforce: http://www.brick-force.com/en/game/media/screenshots, the quality of the block games is rising rapidly.

As I said, people could sell an engine and still make a game. These are two separate cash flows...

20. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Immersiva View Post
    There are even good open source ones that makes you want to leave unity to use them.
    Which ones ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast