Search Unity

T4M Black Edition

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SJAM, Feb 14, 2012.

1. megisto

megisto

Sorry, i can't find a way to manage that.
    If i select more then one T4M object to paint/plant it doesn't work.
    Neither it makes me convert more then one mesh at a time.
    Can u help me understand the workflow?

Thank you very much.

2. SJAM

SJAM

In fact, just place the compete object on the scene, the T4M will automaticly convert each part, and you can paint/plant just if you select the root of object.

3. megisto

megisto

Maybe i am a little confused, sorry about that...

1 - i import my mesh > Unity split it, so i have the root plus my parts
    2 - i drag the root to the scene > if i open in hierarchy i see each part
    3a - T4M windows > if i select the root T4M tells me that i cannot convert
    3b - T4M windows > if i select each part i can convert it to terrain, BUT then when i select the root object all the paint/plant controls disappears and it just tells me "please select the T4M object"

So sorry to disturb you about that, i think there is something i miss :(

4. SJAM

SJAM

Ok :)

I need screenshots of each step to show me how you make something wrong, send me that at azert2k@gmail.com.

Stéphane

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  5. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Great news, Azert2k!
    T4M rocks!

6. megisto

megisto

Message sent. Thank you

7. SJAM

SJAM

@ThomasQ
    Thank a lot !

@Megistro
    Now available in 2.2.6 version :)

Update 2.2.6 finished and Available in the Update Menu or Send on AssetStore

Update 2.2.6
    - Multiple Parts support for 'Object to T4M convertor'
    - Fix bug of 2.2.5 (freeze)

Update 2.2.5
    New Menu
    - ATS Mobile foliage Integration in MyT4M Menu tab. (need to download the package, link in the menu)

UnityTerrain Convertor:
    - Rewrited to avoid some problems with AssetImporter class

Painter :
    - No more problem between "SHIFT" Key control and T4M control (for fast move)

Update Menu :
    - Fix some problems

Shaders :
    - 1 new Opengles 1.1 shader 2 textures + Beast lightmap in one drawcall (need to add the lightmap texture manualy in TexturesT4M Menu)
    - 1 new Opengles 1.1 shader 2 textures + External Lightmap in one drawcall(need to add the lightmap texture manualy in T4M Textures Menu)

LOD/Billboard and LayerCulling
    - Activate deactive LOD/Billboard preview in Editor Mode (Check box in the Inspector of your T4M)
    - Preview of LayerCulling in EditorMode (Check box in the Inspector of your T4M)
    - boost LOD/Billboard performances used with layerculling distance (old algorithm update all objects on the scene, now only the visibles objects)

Fixed
    - 2 bugs in planting menu

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  8. Tiles

Tiles

I love updates. Thanks for that :)

9. SJAM

SJAM

My pleasure to see the customers happy :)

Just if someone don't know how to activate the previews fonctions :

I had to keep like that, because the scene does not refresh correctly when I had built into the interface of the T4M.

IMPORTANT : "interval in seconds" of LOD/Billboard is not simulated in preview mode.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  10. tripknotix

tripknotix

oh sorry sure man i havent been checking this thread daily lol, i will make a picture after i see what youve done in the update

11. Tiles

Tiles

I think i have a little problem here. I´ve imported the newest version. And now half of my trees* are dancing. They move as a whole. Seems that the wind system gets used automatically. I can definitely influence the dancing by the ATS Mobile Foliage panel.

*Half of trees are imported handmade ones. That`s the ones that are dancing now. Half of trees are made with the Unity tree maker. Those do not bend.

I have then had a look at the available shaders. But even with using the Forst asset the trees dances out of position as a whole, and does not really bend like bending in the wind.

I don`t want the trees to be animated at the current state. Where can i turn this dancing / wind system completely off? I can set all values to zero, but this doesn`t seem a valid off setting to me.

And in case i decide to use it at a later point, how do i need setup my trees so that they don`t dance away but bend in the wind?

12. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

my bad, I forget to make an activate/deactivate Button... I will fix that tonight.

To create a correct tree to use wind (and avoid the dancing trees), you need to ask at Lars.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  13. Tiles

Tiles

Thanks a bunch :)

14. SJAM

SJAM

Update 2.2.7
    - Add activate/Deactivate function for ATS Foliage Mobile
    - Fix Tutorial Files

Now in the update tab and already submited on AssetStore

15. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

moin tiles,

original models shipped with the ats mobile foliage package of course should not float around – but nicely bend in the wind – do they not do so?

any other model will float around unless you apply vertex colors to it. use vertex color blue to control the main bending and vertex color green to control edge fluttering – or just set both values to 0 in order to avoid any bending. but of course using another shader would be better and much cheaper to render (like the default cut out or transparent alpha blended).

in case you want to use use the ats mobile foliage shaders you will have to assign vertex colors because without them being assigned unity / the shader / whatever assumes a value of 1 to each vertex color which means full bending/fluttering to all vertices…

if you have further questions just let me know.

lars

16. Tiles

Tiles

Servus Lars,

Thanks for the information. Your plants works fine from what i remember. Yes, at the moment my whole trees moves around. And yes, my plants are selfmade, means they have of course the same vertex colour everywhere at the moment. Hm, never worked with vertex colour. So i need to paint the vertexes by myself, which needs to be done outside of Unity, right?

Let me do some experiments, this should be manageable with Blender :)

17. Tiles

Tiles

Okay, i cannot manage it. I tried to paint in Blender in vertex mode. But the trees still danced. In the end i made the tree disappear when the game runs, by painting it completely black in the vertex mode in Blender. And now i can do what i want, it does not appear anymore. Even replacing the modified version by the original file does not help anymore. Hm.

I fear i need some guidance here :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  18. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi tiles,

first of all make sure that there is no animation component attached to any tree because animation components might lead to disappearing trees in playmode (i really don’t know the exact reason for this but who cares…).

vertex painting in blender should be possible although it is a little bit tricky especially to paint to the double sided geometry of leave planes.
    personally i use modo to apply vertex colors and work with different kinds of fall offs and gradient tools to "paint" the main bending, in order to make sure that i get a smooth and continuous distribution of the vertex color on all vertices.
    unfortunately i guess this can not be done in blender as easy as in modo.

may be i can help out if you send me your tree models.

lars

19. Tiles

Tiles

Yes, Blender is a bit nasty here. Hm, i`ve painted the vertices in Ultimate Unwrap 3D now. The colours looks fine from what i can see. Black for my trunk and blue at the tips of the twigs . My tree still dances as a whole though. And the model seems to be damaged now too. It displays black in Unity. I have definitely a pipeline problem :(

Thanks for the offer to have a look. Unfortunately the Forum software does not allow me to upload a attachment here. Dunno why. A 700 kb Zipfile shouldn`t be a problem :(

20. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

if your trunk really is black (which it should not be but anyway) there should not be any bending at all… very strange!

which version of unity do you use? there is a bugfix in 3.5.2 which says: "Graphics: Fixed vertex colors being swapped in CombineMeshes"
    the shaders work with 3.5.1 and 3.5.2 for sure.

model = black = wrong vertex color alpha values.

solution:
    * either try to set all alpha value to 1 (instead of 0).
    * or bake ambient occlusion to vertex color alpha e.g. using the script you can find here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeKQAXg-Qo8
    that would be the way it was meant to work: vertex color alpha storing ambient occlusion
    * third possibility: you change the shader: find "c.rgb = tex.rgb * i.color.a;" and change it to "c.rgb = tex.rgb;"

lars

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  21. Tiles

Tiles

Just to finish this chapter, i was in contact with lars now, and it turned out that i simply miss the weapons to do the task of vertex painting so that it works with the shader and gives me bending trees. Neiter Ultimate Unwrap 3D nor Blender is suited for this job.

Non animated trees can also look fine :)

Thanks for your help and assistance Lars :)

22. imtrobin

imtrobin

Hi Stephane, can you add the functionality to be able to move T4M into a subfolder. Currently it must reside in top folder, the older versions are able to do that.

23. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

I will see that, another person ask me the same thing.

24. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

well, the extension "Vertex Colour Gradient" should help you to do the job even in blender:
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.4/Py/Scripts/Vertex_Paint/VCol_Gradient

lars

25. Tiles

Tiles

Nice find, thanks lars:)

In theory this should work, yes. But that`s a Blender 2.45 script. And it does not work anymore in 2.5+ . I had even a look at the script now. It`s just a few lines that calls a function inside Blender somewhere. And most probably this part is missing in 2.5x.

The problem is more the general pipeline at the moment anyways. How to paint a gradient a step for later. Current exports from Blender by fbx jumps away when i hit play, and the mesh turns black after rebooting the project. A one trick tree is not really useful though :)

26. Tiles

Tiles

One step further. One troublemaker isolated. Can it be that T4M turns off the wind automatically with closing the project? Every time i reboot my project i have to turn it on again.

Remains the complete black colour. And that the mesh jumps away. Any ideas?

27. Tiles

Tiles

Another step solved. I need to untick everything animation related when i export from Blender. When there is animation in the file then the geometry jumps away.

And i also somehow managed to get a colour now instead black. Not sure about this one though. Need some more experiments. Let`s do some tests with something textured ...

We are getting close :D

EDIT, looks really good so far. Both experimental geometry, from Blender and from UU3D has motion now where there is a vertex colour different than black. I think i have finally found a general pipeline. But need to do some more tests to be sure.

Next issue is the gradient painting. Fingers crossed that i can involve UU3D here. That one has a way to use textures to give the vetexes their colours. Means here i would have a way to "paint" gradients. Alternatively i need to have a look at this gradient script for Blender. But i fear that one needs the Blender devs to get it working again.

EDIT2: odd. This time the wind was enabled when i have reloaded the project. Must be a polterghost.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
  28. Tiles

Tiles

And we are back at stuck. The model bends in the wind and shows up as black with the shaders from lars. Or the diffuse shows, and the whole geometry dances around when i use other shaders :(

29. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the models show up black due to the missing lightmap. just calculate the lightmaps and everything will be fine.

lars

30. Tiles

Tiles

As told before, lightmapping doesn`t change anything. It is lightmapped. And black. I still believe that this could be a problem between the Free version and the Pro version.

EDIT, and now the funny part. I´ve build the project from scratch, and this time it works. I have still no clue where the error resides in my previous test project, but it is working this time. Now let`s have a look if i can repeat it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  31. Tiles

Tiles

I have meanwhile found out what was the reason. And i feel really stupid now. I simply forgot to tick static at the shadow casting light. Shame on me ...

And because this chapter has really made me big trouble, and because there are quite a few steps to take into account, i have meanwhile finished a little tutorial that explains how to vertex paint a tree so that it can be used with the ats shaders, using the freeware Blender. Maybe it is of use for some of you so that you don`t need to repeat the battle that i had :)

32. mrx000

mrx000

God.. I love this tool!

up to give this creator more sales, best asset in this store.

33. SJAM

SJAM

@mrx000

Thank a lot :) with ats foliage mobile shaders by Lars, it become better.

34. bravery

bravery

Hello Azert2k,

I was trying to download the Demo version to test it, however once I download it from this link: http://azert2k.fr/T4MBE/download.php?file=T4MBEDemo

I found one .tar file, and once I extract it (using winrar), I have another tar file called archtemp.tar, and once I extract it again, I got a folder with many many subfolders with very strange and long names like "da976b1a4f7ebb949b0f71341e4f1821"

and that's really strange can you please guide me how can I install and test your project?

Second question: While I was looking in the asset store for T4M (asset contant) I found that you are using .dll files, and as I know that .dll files is specifically for windows, so are you relaying on any 3rd part plugins?

Also can I create a game using T4M and migrating it to MAC or mobiles (where the OS do not support .dll)?

Thanks in advance.

35. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Bravery,

Is not a tar file but a package. Don't open it with a decompress tool. Just click on it, Unity will automaticly import the package.

36. laapsaap

laapsaap

I wanted to try the demo before I purchase it. I unpacked it in an empty project. Click on Window-> T4M.
    Get an error immediatly;

rc.right != m_GfxWindow->GetWidth() || rc.bottom != m_GfxWindow->GetHeight()

Using latest Unity3d version

37. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

have you try to close window and open it again?

For now, you must Keep the T4M folder on root folder.

Keep me aware

Stéphane

38. maximmy

maximmy

Hi Azert2k
    We buy and use your T4M. It's amazing tools!!! but we have some problem.
    In our project we use different lighting.

We use diferred lighting, create point light and object where we used your shader(T4M 3 TexturesBumped DLM) does not accept any shadows from poing light.
    If we exchange point light with direct light then we have shadows.

We need to use different lightting and get shadows from point light

39. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

sounds as if you are using forward rendering… in this case you will probably won’t have shadows from point and spot lights unless you force the shader to be compiled with all shadows enabled:

"Shadows:
    Forward rendering path supports Point Spot light shadows again, as well as multiple shadowing lights! Note that by default shaders do not have this enabled, use fullforwardshadows surface shader directive to enable the behavior.
    Directional Light soft shadows blur width and fadeout speed can be adjusted in Inspector or via script.
    Exposed Light.shadowBias to scripting."

lars

40. SJAM

SJAM

Thank Lars :)

@Maximmy
    Lars have right.
    For better compatibily, you can use shader model 3 (3 textures) to create lightmap, and after baking you can change again for T4M 3 TexturesBumped DLM.

Best Regards

Stephane

41. gecko

gecko

I can't seem to set up a tree LOD with trees from Unity's Terrain Engine -- it looks like T4M LOD requires trees have just one material, is that correct?

42. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Gecko,

With the T4M, you can use the same material for all or differents for each LOD.

I don't know how work the tree LOD of Unity's terrain engine, so I think an other person will respond to you better than me for that.

43. gecko

gecko

The Unity Terrain trees use two materials -- one for bark, one for leaves -- but it looks like the T4M requires just one material per LOD mesh. Is that correct, or is there a way to set up LOD meshes with two materials each?

44. SJAM

SJAM

You have no obligation with T4M, use the written tutorial to create a compatible LOD prefab :

LOD Composer -> LOD1/LOD2/LOD3 Shader -> Already exist and add the first material of the mesh.

The T4M will not delete the second material, so you can create the LOD prefab with more than 1 material.

Best Regards

Stephane

45. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Hi,

I got a problem with the billboard manager planting. In short: I can't get the billboardmanager to work, and T4M objects dissapear from the planting list..

I create a Billboard in the manager, add it to the planting list, and start planting. When I Activate the billboard manager, the Objects don''t show, not when playing, and not in the editor. After I have played the scene, the T4M objects dissapear from the planting list..
    The Billboards do show when I de-activate the billboard manager.. When I de-activate the manager I also get the following warning: "The Number of Activated Billboard Objects has changed, reactivate the billboards in the 'Billboard' Tab.", even though I did not change or do anything. Could this be cause?

Also, your manual has the following warnings: "CAUTION : Think to reactivate the LOD/BillBoard after have plant one LOD or one BillBoard Object." (planting), and on the billboard manager's activate button: "Think to reactivate it, when you will plant others LOD Objects." I have no idea what you mean with these cautions. Could you perhaps explain in french?

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  46. Julien G.

Julien G.

Great job !
    just, your conversion Unity terrain to T4M terrain is not good, you miss 1/2 pixel around the terrain.
    on Unity terrain ( raster model ) 1 pixel is the height value of center of 1 unit² but you consider it like border value.

do you think fix this thing ?

J.

47. SJAM

SJAM

@ThomasQ
    Hi, weird...nobody else has reported this problem to me... I will see that ;)
    Warning say to you, you must reactivate the LOD or Billboard (maybe because you have planted an other tree or grass)
    You understand French?

@JulienG
    Thank, can you explains me more by email the problem ? (in french, because you live in Paris).

For information : Je suis français :)
    So for discuss in french, contact me by email : azert2k@gmail.com

Best Regards

Stephane

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  48. zpinner

zpinner

Azert2k,
    How does collision detection work? with terrain collider or with mesh collider?

49. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

The final mesh use a Mesh Collider, not a terrain collider.

50. zpinner

zpinner

Hey Azert2k,
    thanks for the quick reply. I tried to access the performance table, but it seems that the link was replaced by features page.
    And I'd like to watch a video of t4m in action too, which has a link pointing to the same page as I cited before.
    can you point me the new links?

I'm very afraid of using mesh colliders, specially on mobile devices, have you tried using terraincollider with the imported terraindata?