Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

T4M Black Edition

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SJAM, Feb 14, 2012.

1. SJAM

SJAM

2. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

I will, thanks.

So if I try to use the built-in unity trees, will I be able to use that with your LOD system? Because normally unity terrain would handle the LOD for the trees. Can I have around 20 of those trees and have the game run smoothly on iOS? My terrain is around 4k tris.

3. SJAM

SJAM

Or you can try to make all trees with tree creator, I'm on it now. I experiment :)
    You give me the desire to try the Tree Creator.

I think, I need to make some shaders, for winds, too... for grass and trees

4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi Azert2k,

writing new shaders for trees, bushes and grass would be wonderful!

unity’s built in tree creator shaders have some very nice features but they are limited to trees you have done within the tree creator (as far as you want to use wind and bending). as i don’t see that you ever will be able to model an AAA tree within the tree creator, making those shaders work correctly with imported models is the only way to bring high class trees to unity.

my wish list for a the tree shaders
    (that is pretty much what we have now)
    bark: diffuse / normal / spec / ao baked to vertices / bending taking windzones into account
    leaves: diffuse / normal / spec / translucency / ao baked to vertices / bending taking windzones into account

both receiving and casting real time shadows

and – very important – batching of trees: right now each tree costs 6 draw calls (when using real time shadows) and no tree gets batched at all which makes them pretty expensive to render.

my wish list for a the grass shaders
    - lighting taking the terrain’s normal into account
    - nice bending taking windzones into account for both: grass planted as simple plane (grass) or mesh (bush or flower)
    - the possibility to make the grass plane/mesh align to the terrain’s normal (but i am not sure if this has to be done within the shader)
    - receive real time shadows

i have tried to modify the built in shaders but as i am not a programmer at all my progress is not as advanced as i would like it to be…

lars

5. TegTap

TegTap

Azert2k, great product! I purchased the full version several months ago, and now I've tried to update to the Black Edition. I clicked on the "update" button in the Unity Asset Store and imported everything (except demo scenes) into my project. When I click on "Window ->Terrain 4 Mobile System" to get the T4M tab, I'm getting the older system with no Black Edition options. The title of the window is just "T4M", not "T4M Black Edition" like in your video. Is there something else I need to do to make it import properly?

6. SJAM

SJAM

Hi and thank,

Normaly, after importation, in T4M folder/editor you must have the T4MEditor file, and in T4M/script you must have T4MScripts.

- The T4M work only with unity 3.5 or later.
    - If it's your case, delete the T4M folder and reinstall it.

After that you can find the T4M black edition in the window menu of unity

Keep me aware

Stephane

Edit : I proud to see that your product Dino Digger seems to use the T4M :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  7. TegTap

TegTap

Stephane,

Thanks for the speedy response, deleting and then re-downloading and re-importing worked. I guess I should have tried that first. Yes, Dino Digger uses your system, and I was happy with the outcome!

8. SJAM

SJAM

Nice :)

So, I work on game project (iOS, Android) now, with the T4M, to show the power of my tool.

I remain available for all questions or improvement suggestions.

9. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I have a question, when I paint trees and then after select other non t4m item and then switch back to t4, I don't see the trees that I had set up in the t4m editor, the trees are on the terrain but no more in t4m, this seems like a bug?

10. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Lars,

Normaly, Unity engine reset the variables only when you play the scene. But not when you select an other object... So, I will see that and I keep you aware :)

11. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)

12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes thats what I meant, I place the trees and then I play to see how it looks, and then I have to set them up again if I want to paint more, this seems unnecessary ? I hope there is some way to store all these settings in the t4m editor.

13. SJAM

SJAM

@Lars

I will see that.

14. flekoun

flekoun

I have one question. When I am using the demo version. I am making game for iPad1. When I use Shader Model2 the terrain is "pink" on iPad1. When I use Shader Model1 , the terrain is ok on iPad1. However I can use only 2 textures for painting instead of 3. Is there a way to use more textures than 2 for painting on terrain when use in Shader Model1. Or is there a way how to display terrain on iPad1 with Shader Model2 turned on?? Thanks a lot! Great product!

15. SJAM

SJAM

Hi and thank :)

If you have this issue with all shadermodel2 shaders, your build parameters are not correct, check if you build for shadermodel2 device.

In other case give me the name of shader please

Best Regards

Stephane

16. flekoun

flekoun

Hi, thanks for reply! I am having this problem only with T4MShaders/ShaderModel2/MobileLM/ T4M 3 Textures for Mobile Lightmap.

I don't know what are build parameters and how can I build or not build for shadermodel2 device :(

17. SJAM

SJAM

Use you lightmap ?

Yes : make lightmap with an other shader and change it by this after.
    No : choice highspec shader

I will invastigate on that, this weekend

18. flekoun

flekoun

Yes I use light maps. I tried what you told. Baked light map with different shader (hight spec), then changed to light map shader and still pink terrain.
    Note: The same is on iPhone 4S....pink terrain....what I am doing wrong ? I am building for both (ES 1.1 and 2 according to player settings)

19. flekoun

flekoun

But when I run the game with Hight spec Shader Model 2 everything is ok (at least on iPhone4S). Even light maps are there. So what is the lightmap shader good for? I am little bit confused I guess :)

20. SJAM

SJAM

Try with 3 textures highspec, and keep it. With lightmap performances are great too.

I will make an mobile shaders package to correct that, this weekend. You will can find it on site of demo.

21. flekoun

flekoun

Yes you are correct. 3 texture high spec works of even on iPad1, performance is great as well. Ok I will use this one instead of light map one. Thanks for help! Cheers!

22. SJAM

SJAM

Ok, So, I just create for the T4M, the most faster shaders with lightmap, for mobiles (GLES2) :
    I added the beast lightmap in this shaders :

- 2 Textures Unlit + Lightmap (full version)
    - 3 Textures Unlit + Lightmap (full version + demo)
    - 4 Textures Unlit + Lightmap (full version)

With lightmap, The quality is the same than surface shader and the performances are totaly awesome. Without Lightmap, just unlit shader.

I will make an package for demo and full version (I need to fix some things in both version before release this update)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  23. voncarp

voncarp

At some point are you going to add some functionality for the trees and vegetation to be converted over without having to start planting everything again?

Also, it would be nice to have the bend factor available when planting the trees from the T4m editor. Currently, the windzones do not seem to work properly.

Do you have written documentation available? Your youtube video is very difficult to follow without sound.

Thanks.

24. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

A lot of people use the UnityTerrain just for make the heightmap, and after, planting/paint on T4M, but it's still a good idea, and I will see that for an future update.

The wind is not supported yet by the T4M, it's a feature of UnityTerrainEngine and Tree Engine, you can use the TreeCreator to create your trees, and you can paint your trees with the T4M (in this case the wind, work fine). I work on my own solution for that at this moment...

Not yet, but I will. My english is a little bit bad :) but I will.

For now, I concentrate all my efforts to mobile optimization, fix some problems and wind support.

Also, I would gratitude all my old and new clients... the T4M is first since a long time now in the Terrain Section of the AssetStore.

Thank for your suggestions/ideas and your support. And thank to the customer of the first verison who trusted me for this tool !

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  25. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

This would be great ! because I use a splat map for trees in unity terrain.
    On a related note, plat maps import/generation for vegetation and trees placement, would be great to have in t4m.

26. TegTap

TegTap

I'm getting this error associated with my T4M object:

NullReferenceException
    T4MObj.Awake ()

I even put the volcano prefab from the tutorial in my scene, and I get the same error. I clearly don't have something set up correctly. I'm using T4M Black Edition 2.2.0b, Unity Pro 3.5.0f5. Any ideas?

27. SJAM

SJAM

Hi TegTap,

Can you try the T4M on black project to see if you have the same issue please?

And tell me that.

28. TegTap

TegTap

T4M works fine if I start from a blank project. I've spent all afternoon trying to figure out what I have set up differently in my game's project. In my game, everything looks fine in the editor - the T4M object has all textures showing up and the game plays in the editor. It's just this NullReferenceException that shows up at runtime that's killing me. I'm really hoping I don't have to start over from a blank project and rebuild my scenes.

29. SJAM

SJAM

Ok, so I find this problem and I will fix that this weekend :

Ok, If you do not attribute a camera in LOD or Billboard Menu and that the camera is not tagged with maincamera... you will have this problem. So to fix that before the next update, just tag your camera with MainCamera Tag :

30. TegTap

TegTap

Worked perfectly, thanks!

31. swalton

swalton

I'm running Unity 3.5.0f5.

After installing from the asset store I can choose Window, T4M Black Edition and see the popup screen, with a small row of buttons at the top.

Clicking on all buttons does nothing except the update button th 'Check for Updates'. That seems to work fine. I have the 2.2.1 version installed(Full paid for).

The main part of the popup box shows what looks like a large black switch button, tapping this does nothing.

I've re-started unity, reinstalled, same result.

help ?

32. swalton

swalton

ok, click on the scene....SORRY!

33. SJAM

SJAM

Lol, no problem :)

If you want use the T4M at full of possibility and without any problem, follow the video tutorial.

Enjoy

Best Regards

Stephane

34. tripknotix

tripknotix

what does this mean "Without Lightmap, just unlit shader." ? also whats the eta on the release of this shader

35. SJAM

SJAM

You can use it like classic unlit shader, or with lightmap to have best performances than 2/3/4 textures diffuse shader

Already available on the new version (2.2.1) on assetstore or via T4M update

Stephane

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  36. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Greetings.

I am getting an error when trying to convert a terrain.

If I do not include textures, then all is fine.. however if I select textures I get the following..

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    T4MBE.ConvertUTerrain ()
    T4MBE.ConverterMenu ()
    T4MBE.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)

There are 4 textures used and all parameters are defaults.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards

Moria

37. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Moria,

I will see that...

38. tripknotix

tripknotix

i keep constantly getting this error, even with a brand new terrain, with no textures at all, only 1024x1024 width/length terrain, converting to 128x128 according to your system.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    T4MBE.ConvertUTerrain ()
    T4MBE.ConverterMenu ()
    T4MBE.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)

39. tripknotix

tripknotix

it seems to work in a brand new blank scene only. with no lights or anything else in the scene, same project, just a blank scene.

40. tripknotix

tripknotix

I have a question im looking in the settings for textures, im seeing that it says "Textures unlit lightmap" is this the same as "textures unlit" ? because i only see the lightmap version.

also what does Textures 4 Mobile do? what changes

also i see 6 textures is the highest you can go on "Textures high spec" , is there going to be a 6 textures unlit by any chance? or is there a reason why its maxed at 4?

41. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

So I will fix the problem you have and Moria have.

The unlit shaders is the same than old, exept you can use lightmap on it if you want.

In fact, I didn't try to increase number of textures to 6 on unlit shader, but I will make that :) but I don't know if I can (is not a surface shader)

I keep you aware very soon.

42. tripknotix

tripknotix

is the maximum for mobile just 4? it appears that way from ur other shaders only allowing 4 for mobile

43. SJAM

SJAM

Yes (to keep 1 drawcall) with surface shader the maximum is 4. With more textures Unity shader compiler say that you have to many instructions to work on mobile. Maybe it will be different with unlit shader, I will see

44. tripknotix

tripknotix

yes because im interested in say, 8 textures, for example, layering 2 sets, or perhaps having 2 draw calls? , not sure how it works ;)

45. SJAM

SJAM

Yes I can, but the terrain vertex will be increased x2... For mobile it can be heavy. I will see that for an future update :)

46. tripknotix

tripknotix

oh wow really? nevermind then, i didnt realise it increases the polygon count to 2x wow

47. SJAM

SJAM

Yes, like the other classic objects on screen, if you add 2 materials on it, the statistic window show you have 2 times of vertex.

The T4M works exactly like the UnityTerrain, exept unity terrain is split in several parts for TerrainLOD, with 4 textures each parts give you 1 drawcall, if you increase the number of textures, each parts give you more drawcall.

That is why, on some devices it becomes very heavy.

EDIT : I just fix the UnityTerrain Convertor problem with Keep texture options, I will make an update, and new Demo

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  48. tripknotix

tripknotix

oh, does t4m split into parts, to do lower polys , so that 2x polygons has only a minimal effect in comparison, thanks to lod, split parts. ?

49. SJAM

SJAM

Good news, I will make the update 2.2.2 soon :

Fixed :
    UnityTerrain conversion error, when you want keep blend texture and Splat Textures
    Blend Control 2 textures name

Optimised :
    2 textures unlit lightmap compatible shaders (Always working on OpenGLES 2)
    3 textures unlit lightmap compatible shaders(Always working on OpenGLES 2)

Added :
    5 Textures unlit lightmap compatible shaders (Works on OpenGLES 2 !!)
    6 Textures unlit NO lightmap shaders (Works on OpenGLES 2 !!)
    6 Textures unlit lightmap compatible shaders (DON'T WORKS on OpenGLES 2)

50. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

You are tireless!... thanks for continuously enhance your tool now indispensable (for me).
    Max