Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GameDraw - 3D Modeling INSIDE of UNITY!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by baha, Feb 11, 2012.

1. baha

baha

Hello Everyone,

We are pleased to announce GameDraw which is a 3D Modeling extension inside of Unity :D that lets you create, edit, optimize, edit UVs and sculpt models inside of unity it comes as an editor utility:

Some features are the following ( but watch our youtube channel for more :) ):

- Copy and save meshes
    - Export meshes to (.obj and .ctm "OpenCTM")
    - General information about the selected mesh (number of triangles, vertices,edges, materials)
    - Edit vertices, triangles, edges, quads and elements (submeshes)
    - Extrude
    - Weld
    - Smooth
    - Move or Center Pivot
    - Subdivide (whole mesh\selected triangles) by center or edge
    - Assign new material to selection (without duplicating if the material already exists)
    - Slice
    - Soft Selection
    - Freeform translation
    - Vertex projection
    - Split edge
    - Flip faces
    - Clone
    - Detach
    - Mirror
    - Boolean operations and constructive solid geometry (CSG)
    - Optimize Drawcalls (Combine Materials)
    - Remove dulpicate materials
    - Generate triangle strips
    - Optimize the mesh by generating decimated copies for LOD
    - Combine meshes
    - Batch meshes
    - Combine materials
    - Edit UVs: rotate,scale,translate,rotate 90, flipX,flipY, UV editor window, planar, cubic and spherical mapping, unwrapping, saving textures with UV coordiante and almost everything you need to do with UVs
    - Sculpt meshes and use a texture for sculpting
    - Texture painting and texture editing (line, circle, triangle, brush, polgon, eraser, and floodfill)
    - 2D to 3D and geometry painting in the sceneview
    - Voxels generation from 2 or 3 images to generate models
    - Primitives
    - Extend-ability through Utilities (Check inst3D under utilities)
    - A FREE asset warehouse (hundreds of 3D models that you can use in your commercial work ;) )

And much more to come...

If you want to see the true power of GameDraw for 3D modeling, 2D texturing and UV editing in Unity then check out the below videos:

$Done with GameDraw Inside Unity3D.png

GameDraw Overview

Kids Room speed modeling

[video=youtube;rX4TYKWbb5U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX4TYKWbb5U&feature=youtu.be&a

[video=youtube;H751g3eVIdw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H751g3eVIdw&feature=youtu.be

Sci-Fi scene modeling

AND an A-Z tutorial showing how to do everything in GameDraw

You can always watch our youtube channel for alot of videos regarding GameDraw
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GameDrawMXD
    GameDraw on the AssetStore

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. Astero

Astero

100% pure awesomeness !

3. mikesgames

mikesgames

This looks great!

4. baha

baha

Thanks guys, it is still in the BETA stage but we are doing our best to add more and more features and to improve, your input and feedback is really appreciated and we would love to hear from you guys on what will be good to have in it.

5. mgrenier

mgrenier

Nice job !

You should balance the audio in your video tutorial. I notice half way through that their was a narration to be blown away at the end by your ending sound.

6. larvantholos

larvantholos

If you implement a system of real world scale uv project, I would be sold :) that would be ideal for using primitives to mock up certain things, and even to bring meshes in and project tiling textures over different object setups.

7. baha

baha

Thanks, we will do that for sure :)

Sure, we will do consider that in the next update

8. larvantholos

larvantholos

Let me know when you get it in, and I will purchase and test it out :)

9. baha

baha

I will keep you posted :D

10. winterkewl

winterkewl

Purchased! This looks great, can't wait to give it a go! Keep up the good work. :)

11. baha

baha

Thanks :D if you needed any help just drop us an email from the support tab and we will be very glad to provide it and we would also appreciate your feedback as this will help us improve and enhance it.

12. Steffan-Poulsen

Steffan-Poulsen

Is the interface scaleable? As great as this is (features that I have sorely missed on several occations!) -I wouldn't part with half of my screen realestate for it :)

13. baha

baha

Sure, you can scale it :D

14. Steffan-Poulsen

Steffan-Poulsen

Excellent! - one question, do you extend the number of primitives that unity has? (sphere,cube,cylinder) - I would love to see a whole bunch of other primitives as a part of this software, which combined with the edit functions would make rapid-prototyping exponentially faster!

15. baha

baha

We can add that very soon, could you please specify what primitives you would like to see in the next update so that we include them :)

16. Steffan-Poulsen

Steffan-Poulsen

Mainly the typical standard primitives: (maybe minus the teapot hehe)

But it would be awesome if you included some of the extended primitives as well:

By the way, another question came to mind. Which kind of poly modelling tools does your software have? I'm thinking of: Edit modes; vertex,edge,face - Edge select tools; loop/ring.

17. baha

baha

Consider it to be done ;)

currently it is vertex and face but we have an implementation for edge which is still in ALPHA mode and we will do loop/ring in future updates

18. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Those primitives and a lot more are coming in the MegaMesh system and alot of them are already available in other assets on the asset store. And besides surely you just need to knock those up once yourself and save them off once and they are ready to use in GameDraw, would rather see the time spent on extending the editing features and the city builder instead of duplicating stuff thats already available.
    RapidPrimitives http://www.unitymagic.com/shop/en/assets/extra-unity-primitives.html
    Procedural Primitives http://recreationstudios.blogspot.com/2011/09/procedural-primitives-unity-asset-store.html

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  19. macspeedee

macspeedee

Seconded, dont waste your time recreating what is already available spend it on improving what you have added in GameDraw that isnt already available such as the city builder or as Mike said improving the editing tools.

20. baha

baha

Didn't noticed these products before, looks interesting and yes I agree with you as if something like that already exist we might work on extending our main feature set

I agree with that :)

21. erenaydin

erenaydin

Awesome tool, but wondering can we export it?

// I see a save icon at the video but that is not for export, right?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  22. baha

baha

you can save as an asset or export .obj :D

23. erenaydin

erenaydin

then awesome :D

24. Overwind

Overwind

Nice work. I was working on some mesh tools and primitive-building wizards but nothing quite as ambitious as this (I told myself not to get that carried away). Foolishly I stopped working on them about 8 months ago for some reason. Oh well, I've been trumped now! :D

(Overwind quietly sneaks away and dries his tears on his burning code notes...)

25. Lypheus

Lypheus

The mesh optimizer is windows only you caution above, does that apply to the target builds or just which platform you can perform the optimization on (i.e. if I optimize my scene, do you do anything to prevent that scene from working on webplayer builds etc?). I'm assuming you mean the latter, but better to ask.

26. baha

baha

New Videos for showcase are available :)

27. baha

baha

So what about joining our efforts ;) your welcome if you want just PM me

it does not apply to the target builds, once optimized it is a regular mesh and can be used anywhere, the only thing is that it does not work on Mac if you are using the editor on a Mac but we are fixing this so your assumptions are correct :D

28. gf11221

gf11221

gonna use this baby!

29. kondrup

kondrup

very nice, I can see some great potential with a tool like this. Especially early level block-out and cases where you have to "map a model" 100% to the terrain

30. kojio

kojio

Really amazing, for me as an artist is a great thing to deal with low detailed models right inside unity, nice work!

31. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

32. baha

baha

Thanks everyone :)

We have added a new feature that will be available in the next update that takes a texture as an input and returns a mesh :D, a demo will be available soon

33. Stardog

Stardog

Will we be able to edit UV's of selected faces, and will there be a better undo?

I get z-fighting if adding a second material to one of the faces. Maybe it should replace the old one instead.

Can I get some guidelines on how to work with lists/meshes? Like if I duplicate a mesh, but want to create a modified version.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  34. baha

baha

We will add the editing of UV's for selected faces soon and we have a better undo now coming in the next update but we haven't finished other features planned in that update yet but if you want drop me an email and I will send it to you.

Just to keep you in knowledge of what will be released:
    1- Better undo (finished)
    2- Texture to 3D (finished)
    3- Procedural Buildings and cities (in progress)
    4- Constructive Solid Geometry (in progress "almost done")

Hopefully we will release it next week.

If you want let's do a Skype call and I will be more than glad to help out.

35. nofosu1

nofosu1

Wow this is very cool, and though i do not see it taking me away from my 3DS max, it will definitely compliment my work flow. Pay day can't come sooner enough.

Seriously though, very nice work guys.

36. baha

baha

37. omarzonex

omarzonex

Where Are Company From !!!!!!!!

Where are Street from Amman ................ !!!!!!!!!!!!

38. kerters

kerters

Wow! great job guys ! keep it up, this will become very handy :)

39. baha

baha

The company is from Jordan, Amman -- next to the 2nd Circle, Jabal Amman

Thank you so much :)

40. Carwash

Carwash

Might be a daft question, but can you modify meshes that are using a skinned mesh renderer with this?

41. Nightshade1

Nightshade1

am i allowed to use this and sell my game?

42. baha

baha

Yes of course :)

43. Carwash

Carwash

@Baha

Did you see my question on the previous page or was it too daft a question to deserve an answer? :) It'll result in a purchase!

44. baha

baha

Oh, I'm very sorry but did not saw it as sometimes the forum does not send emails for all posts, I guess I missed seeing the previous page as the last post is shown in a new page, sorry again.

To answer to your question, currently we are working on MeshFilter but will add hopefully soon before V1 and I'll get back to you on it :)

45. PolyMad

PolyMad

Looks very interesting but it says the video is private... I would like to see it in action :)

46. baha

baha

Fixed, we set it private as we are preparing another video because the sound volume in this one is a bit low but we will keep it available for now until we launch the new video.

47. Wolfos

Wolfos

Needs trial version.

48. Trinda

Trinda

Just a quick question since I'm looking at buying this when I next get paid:

Will this work in Unity Basic?

Otherwise, looks great

49. baha

baha

We are investigating this option

Yes, only the optimization needs pro for the current time but we are investigating a solution for this to make it work on runtime as well as in Unity Basic

50. PolyMad

PolyMad

I agree with a new video: this one is really not impressing. I mean, you can see what the tool can do but there's no wow effect at all :D
    I would like to see some actual use of it, like some part of house, modification on a real map, or mesh production, that's how you'll sell the tool. Also, a video with tutorial would be cool.