Search Unity

GameDraw - 3D modeling for Unity [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by baha, Feb 10, 2012.

?

What you would like to see in GameDraw?

1. Procedural city generator

48.8%
  2. Image tracing to 3D

33.2%
  3. Quads support

24.4%
  4. Auto optimized sculpting

35.1%
  5. Animating meshes within Unity

49.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. baha

baha

There is a new update "0.84" currently available at the asset store with lots of improvements and bug fixes, please always let us know of your feedback and any issues you face in order for us to tackle them.

Fixed prefab saving
    New GameDraw window and menu
    GameDraw inspector disabled by default
    Fixed issue with triangle selection
    Combine selection menu item-> normal or per mateiral
    Combine childrens menu item-> normal or per mateiral
    Does not create a copy by default
    Primitave positioning in front of camera
    primitave scaling parameter
    Trace 2D to 3D menu
    Nodes menu

2. evandromillian

evandromillian

Hi. I cannot select more than one triangle in edit tool. Is there any configuration? Very strange.

Using Unity3.5f2 and last version of GameDraw.

3. baha

baha

It should work normally, are you using SHIFT for the selection or is it mouse selection that has the problem or both, could you please drop an email to the support from the support tab.

4. baha

baha

New Videos for GameDraw

Tutorial for GameDraw

Complete Scene modeled inside of Unity - Part 1

Complete Scene modeled inside of Unity - Part 2

5. angel_m

angel_m

I have purchased GameDraw and with this installed, the size of the Web Player build is increased in about 50-60 % at least in my project (it is pretty big, with many models and meshes).
    How is this possible?

6. baha

baha

GameDraw has a cache which is saved as a hidden GameObject flagged as "HideAndDontSave" which means that it should not be included in builds or saved when closing the editor, the following script should clear the cache could you try it out and tell me if it does work for you so we can know whether is this the issue or something else?

View attachment $GameDrawCacheCleaner.unitypackage

Once you import it, go to GameDraw->Empty Cache and this should clear it

7. angel_m

angel_m

Ok, I will try it when I return home. Thanks for the quick response.

8. angel_m

angel_m

I have tried the script and nothing changes. How can uninstall GameDraw to make a test? What files must be deleted?

9. baha

baha

If you haven't installed anything else that uses Plugins folder then delete the plugins folder other than that delete GamDraw and GameDrawEditor folders inside of it.

Can you send me the build log in order to see what is the issue as well as a screenshot for the project and scene hierarchies

10. angel_m

angel_m

I have been investigating the editor log for the build and I think I know where is the problem. Unity includes in the build models and textures imported in my project but not used in my scene...?¿¿

Thanks

11. mrx000

mrx000

Hey, good tool

but i have the same problem angel_m have.
    modify few times a mesh, build project and it will add 30-40% more size to the final build

it happens even after i delete the plugins folder.

12. baha

baha

Thanks

What is your build target? the OS you are working on? and can you please post a screenshot of the editor log player size statistics, can be opened from the upper right corner of the console window.

13. mrx000

mrx000

The problem only seems to occur when I use weld on an object
    other then that it does not add more size, it happens on web-player, exe, flash.

and I'm on win7

but even with the bug it serves me well, a must have asset.

14. baha

baha

A new update ( 0.85 ) is available with a lot of fixes, improvements and new features:

Fix for Undo
    Auto copy creation
    Fix for post processing of prefabs
    Multiselection in the UV editor
    Unwrapping
    UV editor background
    selected UVs highlighted in sceneview
    Clone
    detach
    Smooth
    Primitave not rotated on init
    Fix for empty meshfilter not showing the mesh field
    Fix primitives are not rotated as the sceneview camera rotation
    Fix for editing freeze after hitting play
    Generating of lightmap UVs from GameDraw menu
    Center Pivot
    2D to 3D fix of pivot point when generated as childrens
    Custom scaling of traced mesh
    Generation of mesh directly from the tracing window
    Split vertices menu item
    Boolean window
    Boolean now takes a default material
    Fixed boolean result normals
    Generated boolean lightmap Uvs
    Fixed mesh combine position

15. Mikie

Mikie

No fbx. Is it ever going to happen?

16. baha

baha

Yes it will happen in the future :)

17. baha

baha

This is a new feature which is part of GameDraw, you simply draw inside the sceneview and you will get a complete 2D level with your drawing turned into meshes with materials, colliders and rigidbodies if enabled, check the video below and btw you can modify the resulted mesh when finished since GameDraw is for modeling ;)

Also check out the new complete documentation

18. baha

baha

New Update is Available 0.861:

Paint mode exit button in the sceneview
    Fix for invalid texture size when single clicking in the sceneview while in paint mode
    Added texture support in the Painter window
    Fix for some data being included in build
    Improved data save handling
    Fixed some selection issues
    Fixed some extrusion issues
    Enhanced undo when undoing changed variables in the inspector
    Editor Window disabled for stability guarantees until the official release

GameDraw is ON SALE (50% OFF) until 23th of June, 2012

19. baha

baha

Just a reminder!

GameDraw is ON SALE (50% OFF) until 23th of June, 2012 that means the sale ends tomorrow if anyone is interested in picked it up while on a discount

20. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Nice tool. I'd hate to try model something from scratch in Unity, but it's been great for doing some tidy up edits.

I can't see any, but is there a way to delete polygons or vertices?

21. baha

baha

Yes you can, once you select the vertices or polygons go to the edit tab and there is a delete button

22. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Duh!! Staring at me the whole time! I thought that was part of the weld options!
    Thank Baha :)

23. bpritchard

bpritchard

@baha

How can i fully uninstall the plugin? Currently whenever we build our builds crash immediately on start, and this is the only new item we've added. I've tried deleting the GmeDraw folders out of plugins but i get Mono errors after. Any help would be appreciated.

Found all the parts and removed... i'd like to figure out after today why its crashing our builds.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  24. baha

baha

What are the errors you are receiving, you should be able to build normally unless you are facing a weird case please drop us an email to support and we will help you out.

25. bpritchard

bpritchard

Oddly no errors (that are familiar at least). It's ldb'ing on start before the app even really starts up, doesn't even get to the unity splash screen (initial screen). I've deleted everything from the project currently but will update this week and shoot over the info.

26. baha

baha

This is Odd! can you drop us an email to support with the editor log file!

27. baha

baha

Time for an announcement!

We have been working hard for the last period of time on getting GameDraw to the next level, bug fixes, new features and restructuring has been happening like a mad since the last update as we wanted to give back to everyone who supported our efforts, the following list are some of the things coming:

Rewritten core

The core of GameDraw has been rewritten with a new data structure for better handling of the mesh, a better structure that works with undo and can be used for runtime integration, this means that we have almost rewrote all implementations and fixed any issues we've caught during the last period.

Edges, Elements and Quad support
    We have already added edges and Elements support on the other hand we are adding Quad support in Unity 4.

New Highlight System
    The old highlight system for selection has completely changed, we are no longer using handles to draw the highlight instead we are using low level graphics to draw them which means better look and feel, "no more overlaps nor wrong Z ordering"

New editing functions
    We are working now on the implementations for several new editing function such as cut and slice and hopefully they will make their way out within the next update.

Optimization (the new baby)
    As promised, we have re implemented the decimation part to work on all platforms which means that you can also use it on runtime, on the other hand we are implementing a new feature for optimization that will reduce draw calls dramatically.

More 2D features
    We've never forgotten about 2D for that we have increased our tools focusing on 2D, stay tuned for more information or simply meet us at Unite12

Better UV handling
    We have implemented several enhancements on UV handling that will make it much easier to work with UVs through GameDraw.

Procedural City Generator
    We have implemented a procedural city generator that should make it pretty much easy to create cities.

Character customization and Morphing
    We have implemented a state of the art character customizer that will make creating characters a piece of cake, not that only it can be used to create morphs on any object so thing on cars, spaceships, etc.. and don't forget how this will integrate with Mechanim in Unity 4.

API and runtime support
    We are exposing the API for you to add your own tools and it will even allow you to plugin your own tabs to GameDraw under the utilities section, not only that you will be able to use the API for runtime.

Much More!
    We haven't told everything yet, if you want to know more about our plans and you are attending Unite12 then just ping us and we will be more than happy to meet with you.

A BIG Thanks
    We would like to thank everyone how supported us during the BETA, your support and your trust in GameDraw made it go this far and will continue to work hard on making it better, If we wanted to say something from the bottom of our hearts we would say that you are a great community and we are very thankful for you for all what you’ve done to make GameDraw evolve to its latest form.

28. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Great news...i can't wait to test the new version.

29. angel_m

angel_m

Good news. I hope you fix the issues when working with multimaterial objects, because, when deleting vertices or faces, for example, the UV's and materials of the entire model were lost.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  30. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Thanks for the improvements! Looking forward to seeing the results.

31. baha

baha

Thanks, hopefully we will be launching the update around Unite12

Yes, we have fixed that :)

your welcome, it is our job to do so :D

we will start posting videos showing the new update in action next week and hopefully we will release it around Unite12

32. fholm

fholm

I have to say that I've never been so let down with an asset I've bought, 90 euros for this is a rip-off. It just does not work properly, such a simple task as selecting multiple triangles (yes, I've read the manual) or vertices is incredibly buggy. Other basic things such as extruding triangles creates such an insane amount of vertices/triangles that are completely unnecessary.

I've bought assets with varying quality from the store before, but this is the first time I've actually felt ripped off.

33. baha

baha

Contact us so that we can provide the necessary support :)., have you read the announcement for version 0.87, we haven't even reached version 1 nor we have gone out of the BETA. I will be more than happy to give you a refund, that is not a problem for us, just ask!

34. baha

baha

I have sent you an email, a tweet and a PM trying to reach you out, if you want to get a refund or get the proper support then we are available to do so :D and once you reply to me I will help you out and will also give you access to version 0.87

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  35. angel_m

angel_m

The tool is promising but I think GameDraw must concentrate on fix and optimize the basis ( selecting, deleting,...) before including more and more new features.

36. baha

baha

Hi Angel, thank you so much for being supportive, We already fixed everything but the fixes are in version 0.87 and we want to ensure that it will work smoothly as it is hard to update the asset store now because it is a complete rewrite, if anyone who bought want access to it then just drop me an email and I will be more than happy to send it out,we are just taking the time to ensure everything is smoothly and working ok, just to let everyone know, we started this project with 2 working on it now there is 5 working on it thanks for the supporters and we take it seriously to make this product as expected, the new features are only worked by 2 of the 5, the other 3 are currently focusing on improving and fixing any issues, actually the 2 can't reduce any of the time required for improvements as it is a sequential process that can be handled by 3 so to give more value we made them work on new features to complete the package.

Creating such an extension was not an easy mission, we faced a lot of issues and we've even learned more things on the way also we don't have an issue refunding anyone who is not satisfied and we will if asked but on the other hand we will do our best to make him\her satisfied before that, this is what we believe and this is what we are going to do.

We believe through time, hard working, learning and the continuous motivation we can make GameDraw the complimentary of Unity, the tool to create assets and the product that can be trusted when it comes to having a shiny pixels, this is just the beginning of the road and we will never let down the ones how trusted us from the start in fact they will always be our motivation to continue on.

I promise you and everyone that within weeks from now that you will have something that will never let you down :D

I will try to push the update as much as I can to be within days instead of weeks but prefer waiting and sending it per request for now.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  37. baha

baha

After hearing the feedback and that a lot of the community are looking forward for the next update and couldn't wait we decided to do a part of the update which is 0.865 but since we have done a complete rewrite to improve "behind the scenes" we had to disable some features temporarily and for the meantime until we launch 0.87 very soon.

version 0.865 includes:

1- New data structure for better handling of the meshes.
    2- Edges and elements support.
    3- Better highlighting
    4- Rotation and scale are working correctly.
    5- All functions now support multiple materials.
    6- Shortcuts.
    7- better GameDraw menu.
    8- UVs support realtime changes.
    9- Better UV mapping.
    10- Edges are shown in the UV editor.

Everything other than Editing and UVs have been disabled temporarily.

38. Jethro

Jethro

Just purchased this from asset store yesterday, amongst all the errors I've already reported with this 0.865 version, when I try to publish to iOS I get the following 2 errors in unity.

ArgumentException: The Assembly UnityEditor is referenced by GameDraw. But the dll is not allowed to be included or could not be found.
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.AddReferencedAssembliesRecurse (System.String assemblyPath, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 alreadyFoundAssemblies, System.String[] allAssemblyPaths, System.String[] foldersToSearch, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 cache)
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.FindAssembliesReferencedBy (System.String[] paths, System.String[] foldersToSearch)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

and

Error building Player: Extracting referenced dlls failed.

Any help with this would be appreciated.
    This tool promises so much but at this point, I've wasted a day, and tempted to get money back.

39. baha

baha

We are really very sorry for the issues you faced, we submitted 0.865 on Friday and as you know Saturday and Sunday are the weekends so Unity asset store team as not on duty to approve a submission for that we had to do hot fixes through email which is slow, drop me an email and I will send you the fix as soon as I catch it.

the issues are a result of 0.865 being a subset of 0.87 which is the stable one, we did 0.865 due to the huge demand for an update in a tight period of time and we missed on a single piece of code important to make it stable which we realized few hours after submission but we couldn't do anything before today to fix this.

There is a hot fix 0.865 f1 currently available on the asset store and another one 0.865 f2 which will be available later today, after that everything will be just "fixed" and stable.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  40. voncarp

voncarp

I've purchased this product several months ago. I like the potential in this, and like others who have reviewed this we are waiting for some substantial progress. In its current state, its very limited and difficult. This has released near six months already.

41. baha

baha

As we have mentioned int he asset store, we have a really huge update coming up and we are working heavily on making things better, more stable and to meet the demands but on the other hand letting us know exactly what you need, what you like to see and what difficulties you face will make this process much faster for us :) just drop me a PM or an email :) that will help a lot.

42. kenshin

kenshin

43. baha

baha

Checking right now, please send me an email so I can send you an updated version.

44. mk1978

mk1978

Is it possible to model geometry with this tool that would align on top of Unity terrain? For example, I would like to model a golf course bunker that would have clear border between grass and sand texture. Therefore, it would be essential to be able to sculpt a mesh (sand part of the bunker) on top of grass texture (terrain).

Here I have also explained the problem a little bit:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/93711-Cut-terrain

45. baha

baha

Yes you should be able, there is also a way that project your vertices into colliders in the scene hence they get correctly positioned on top of the environment.

46. baha

baha

A new version is out now in the asset store, check it out ;)

We will be providing more information about it in few days with videos, tutorials and documentation but if you already bought GameDraw then I encourage you to update :D

47. baha

baha

We are now offering a huge collection of FREE assets that worth hundreds of dollars with GameDraw (starting from the latest release 0.869 available at the Asset Store) ;)

The current available collection includes 10 buildings, 10 medieval buildings, barrels collections, boxes collection, trash cans, containers, vending machine, small house in 3 construction stages.

This week aditions:
    50 building for city construction, city probes

Continuous Growth:
    The content will continually grow "On a weekly or even daily basis" with more assets that will only be available for GameDraw users through GameDraw's warehouse window so don't hesitate to grab GameDraw and get access to these amazing assets :D

GameDraw Link in the Asset Store

48. baha

baha

The following document shows the new features of GameDraw, check it out HERE :)

49. Jaimi

Jaimi

Was able to register and get everything working - thanks!

Also wanted to say that the selections and editing (etc) are all working much better now. The program has come a long way, I'm really liking it.

50. SevenBits

SevenBits

This looks great! Is there a demo version available, perhaps with non-commercial use restrictions?