Search Unity

GameDraw - 3D modeling for Unity [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by baha, Feb 10, 2012.

?

What you would like to see in GameDraw?

1. Procedural city generator

48.8%
  2. Image tracing to 3D

33.2%
  3. Quads support

24.4%
  4. Auto optimized sculpting

35.1%
  5. Animating meshes within Unity

49.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. baha

baha

I remember that this was part of a previous release but we disabled some features that should comeback in version 1, once we feel it's ready to be released, btw version 1 includes animation :) so it should be there!

2. crafTDev

crafTDev

What's the eta on version 1?

3. baha

baha

I can't really give a date right now because previously we gave a date and we couldn't stick with it because of the release of unity 4 as we had to do a ton of internal work on existing features to make it compatible plus we had to abstract our internal code base, fix compatibility with other plugins, different platforms, different use cases that raised bugs and to make GameDraw as stable as possible which is the current state so we will be waiting for some time until we verify that 99.9% of the users are satisfied with the current feature set and shortly we will start a private beta for the new features 'your welcome to join' to verify that from now on we keep the level of the tools as high as possible since we are finishing beta 'formally'.

4. ZJP

ZJP

@baha
    I know it is an Editor Tool , but it would be interesting if your product could be integrated in a final compiled build. Making an 3D modeler : yeah!!!! ;)
    What is missing? Possible?

5. baha

baha

Nothing missing and yes it is possible, we have something to show soon :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  6. ZJP

ZJP

Thx a lot for the reply.

7. baha

baha

Your welcome :)

8. seedoubleyoiuy

seedoubleyoiuy

Howdy,

I'm having a couple of problems using GameDraw. One, it does not seem to save files as modeled in prefabs. Any shapes I've performed boolean operations on disappear when I try to use them in a different scene. Then when I go back to the original scene where I built the object, the original object (not the prefab) has not saved the boolean shapes.

Also, though I find references n your press release to moving the pivot point, I can't seem to find any such menu item in any of the GameDraw windows or menu (I found only "Center Pivot"). I tried clicking the Move Pivot checkbox but could not seem to affect the pivot point.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

9. baha

baha

To create a prefab just simply drag the object from the scene hierarchy into the project hierarchy, this will create the prefab and all associated assets with it including the meshes.

When working with pivots, to move the pivot point you should click on the move pivot checkbox, once enabled the move handle can be used to move the pivot point so simply move the handle to the location desired for the new pivot point but note to make sure you set the handle mode to pivot and global then you can freely move the pivot point.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you need anything else :)

10. seedoubleyoiuy

seedoubleyoiuy

Thanks for the reply!

Not sure why the prefab thing wasn't working before, but now it seems to be working just fine.

And thanks for the tip on moving the pivot point. Guess I'm still learning how to do things...!

Thanks again!

11. baha

baha

Your welcome :)

12. baha

baha

As always we love to share with you some possibilities that can be achieved with GameDraw, the following video shows what you can achieve with the optimization tools in GameDraw, from decimation (Reduce poly count) to combining materials! we will be adding more stuff as we always do :)

13. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

It is possible to export a texture mapping with Ambient Occlusion only?. That's for "Hard Surface Painting".
    Have a look on this tutorial ,
    or this one ( after 16:00)

.You'll see what i mean.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  14. ZJP

ZJP

15. baha

baha

Hi :)

We will be adding this in the future once we finish some of the things in the pipeline :)

16. Logiquefloue

Logiquefloue

Hello,
    I want to know if GameDraw can change the texture of a mesh during the game (in real time)?
    Example: I have a cube and I want to change the texture of only one side in real time, is this possible?
    Sorry for my poor English

17. hike1

hike1

make sure you set the handle mode to pivot and global then you can freely move the pivot point.
    unquote

Where is 'handle mode' and 'global' setting?

What's the easiest way to add collisions? I made a cube and flipped faces like in your subway level video, but I'm allowed only 1 box collider
    on the cube.

On a thick walled building with doors and windows I tried to make a mesh collider out of a reduced poly version but it wouldn't allow me to add it.

18. Jake-L

Jake-L

Hi,

first: BIG thumbs up! GameDraw is awesome, I loved it the second I started using it!

I've got a couple of questions/feature requests regarding selections:

- Is it possible to get selection infos (number of verts/edges/tris selected) somewhere? I really would love this, it helps to prevent selection errors. Just a label showing something like "10 vertices selected" or so.
    - Is it possible to save/load selections? I guess utilizing Unity's Save/Load Selection feature is only working with GameObjects, but something that works the same for verts/edges/tris would be awesome!
    - Can I somehow select only the visible geometry? Say I'm looking at a cube straight from the front and rectangle-select vertices, I'd like only the visible vertices be selected and the invisible/back vertices ignored.

Keep up the good work!

Jake

19. baha

baha

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I was traveling and I didn't receive any notification of your posts, my apologies

We will release a runtime API soon that contains all the features of GameDraw "Every tiny feature" and a complete web based application was built using it and will be released early July and would love to get your feedback on it once we release it.

the modes are next to unity's move, rotate and translate icons.

Use a mesh collider and collision will be set automatically whenever you modify your object the collider will be updated.

Great feedback! will add those for sure :)

20. baha

baha

21. kenlem

kenlem

Hi Baha,

I have a small issue with GameDraw where I have to delete it from my project before I can build to mobile. Somehow it doesn't like some of the DLL GameDraw uses. Is there anyway around that?

22. baha

baha

23. baha

baha

GameDraw is now ON SALE for 24 HOURS! 50% OFF and for Only 22.5$ and create models like this one :D

$GameDraw SciFi.jpg

24. hike1

hike1

Make sure your handles are on the pivot\Global mode, this should solve the issue for you, if any other than that it will not be correctly handled.
    unquote

I don't see any 'pivot\Global mode' when I check 'move pivot' all that moves is the bounding box.

25. hike1

hike1

Found the pivot/global mode but all it does is move the bounding box.

Attached Files:

26. Nakor

Nakor

Hi,

How do you hook into the GameDraw code? Is there any API? I wish there was some documentation lol. I'm looking to decimate my mesh every cut or two. If I do too many cuts in game I eventually have too many vertices and my mesh gets killed.

27. baha

baha

We are in the middle of a rewrite now, what we accomplished to now with the rewrite is promising, full undo support "stable" and blazing performance, one important thing as well is that we are making sure the small annoying things doesn't happen again.

The new version is coming with an API but meanwhile we will be releasing small tools for each functionality to get a more concentrated feedback loop per functionality until we release the update.

28. Nakor

Nakor

Ok thank you for the reply. I've gotten far too used to Unity asset developers who have zero customer relation skills lol. It's good to see something different for once. I have to leave for work in a few days anyway (a shift is two weeks straight) so I'll check in when I get back I guess. I appreciate the API and anything else you come up with in advance :)

29. baha

baha

Update

Hi Everyone,

Long time we haven't given enough information about where we are or what we are doing and sorry for not being able to answer some emails in a timely fashion but will do as soon as possible! it is bit crazy on my end!

So going back to the update, we have been working on a rewrite of GameDraw "which might be renamed", however the new rewrite will rise up the bar to reach our expectations and vision "finally", in the rewrite we focused on fixing the major issues, "undo\redo", "performance", "hangs" and other small tiny details that seems to be annoying but nonetheless we have focused on making it better than ever.

We won't be adding lot of features "at least at the beginning" in fact we will be releasing small tools, each at a time, so that we can get feedback on each tool and once we find that the tool is good enough for integration we will integrate it to GameDraw and start with the next tool "functionality", this way we ensure that any functionality we have in GameDraw is as good as possible.

The first tool we will be releasing is "MXD Edit" and it is the result of GameDraw's rewrite with undo/redo working properly, blazing performance, robust, doesn't lose state on play or recompile and simply up to the bar.

http://www.slideshare.net/bahaabunojaim/mxd-edit

so the most important thing is your feedback as we will release other tools "which are ready or almost ready" once we see the community accepting and loving it so if you are a GameDraw user then drop support[at]mixeddimensions.net an email and we will send it to you!

The new GUI

Improving the user experience is another very important aspect and having a great GUI is also part of it so this is how the final GUI of GameDraw will look like and we would appreciate your feedback and input on it.

$GameDraw-01.png

30. neoxeo

neoxeo

Hi,

Thank you for these good news.

I love "MXD Edit" !

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  31. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Cool...i can't wait to try it !

32. baha

baha

Thanks, I can send you MXD Edit by mail :)

33. baha

baha

GameDraw Trick

This is a simple stair model created with GameDraw using Inst3D feature, you can optimize it by combining the meshes together :)

34. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Fantastic...thanks!
    Max

35. baha

baha

Another feature from the checklist "Snapping" is finished and will come in version 1 of GameDraw around December 2013 but will be available in the asset store within few days "submitted".

Check out the manual http://www.slideshare.net/bahaabunojaim/mxd-snapping/

It also contains more feature that will defienetly come in handy while working on our projects, let me know what other things are missing here to add it to the roadmap.

36. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Wow, seem very useful! Compliments!

37. baha

baha

Thanks, procedural primitives are next :D

38. baha

baha

This is a look at the procedural primitives, more to come.

$MXD Primitives.png

39. nopcode

nopcode

I'm unable to get the 2d->3d tool to work at all; the instructions are not current, and the youtube video is not clear as to what is going on, let alone how to use it with an existing image.

Is there any clear, concise, up-to-date documentation on this, or have I just wasted my money?

40. baha

baha

this is a very outdated documentation (really outdated!)
    http://mixeddimensions.net/docs/GameDraw%20documentation.pdf
    we are working on a new one for the massive update we are working on.

Important:
    Texture import settings should be set to readable and a format that is suitable for reading like ARGB32.

to do 2D->3D you have 2 options:
    1- Dragging of textures to the sceneview, go to GameDraw->GameDraw 2D-> Enable-Disable drag, once you enable dragging then you can drag a texture and GameDraw will generate the mesh out of it, make sure to disable it from the same menu item.
    2- the Trace window,go to GameDraw->GameDraw 2D->Trace 2D to 3D->Create 2D Object, you will be prompted to save a file, this file holds the information related to tracing, once saved a new window will appear, you need to select a texture in the texture slot, if you want high details then disable the optimize option and if you are getting a rectangle around your object then check the skip first layer, click on "Trace" then click on "Create Mesh" to get a gameobject holding the generated mesh(es) depending on your settings, the points you get in the window can also be moved so you can fix the shape the way you want! btw a very improved version is coming with the new release that will integrate directly with the 2D tools in unity.

Another option inst3D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eFGj9FgfW8&list=PLMPcMHkrqhcm5NM5R2nRirGp1tBj5sIoU&index=7

Send me an email or go to http://gamedraw.userecho.com/ and will be able to help further and in case you didn't get satisfied after our support then we will do a refund so that you don't feel that you wasted your money, no problem, your satisfaction is our highest priority.

41. baha

baha

42. baha

baha

43. Rampa

Rampa

HI,

Is there a way to call the "Generate Lightmap UVs" function with a script? I'ld like to automate some steps

Thanks in advance
    Rampa

44. baha

baha

Do you want to call it from an Editor script or a runtime script?

45. Enoch

Enoch

Hi,

This is going to sound like a bizarre request, but I have an excruciating error in my procedural mesh. What happens is that after i procedurally build it, the shader does not function properly (its almost like the triangles are inverted, light does almost the inverse of what it is supposed to do, a point light will brighten the mesh when it is behind it not in front, extremely weird). Now here is the deal once I select the mesh in editor via its parent object and hit the game draw icon, it suddenly magically fixes itself. Everything works perfectly, but only after I touch the mesh with gamedraw. Note that I don't execute any game draw functions other than hitting the icon to open up the menu. I don't calculate bounds, normals, etc... I don't do anything in gamedraw to it. It is simply the act of me selecting the mesh/object and hitting the gamedraw icon that fixes it.

Now here is where you come in. I really need to know what it the world you do to the mesh when the game draw icon is hit. I am clearly doing something wrong in my mesh construction but I don't know what it is. What ever you do when you first analyze a mesh completely fixes it though. Any insight would be fantastic.

Enoch

Update Edit: I solved this. I had auto calculate normals set (I didn't realize what those check boxes were on the side until I accidently rolled over them). I apparently had my normals completely inverted which I should have suspected based on the behavior. Anyone who has done dev already knows this, but often times simply articulating your problem to someone else allows you to solve it, so thanks for listening. And thanks again for Gamedraw, in this case its a very useful method to test and verify some of the aspects of my procedural geometry.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  46. kasplask

kasplask

Baha, first of all, great work! Second, since you haven't been responding in the BooleanRT thread lately, I'll post my question here, because I think it's important.

1. Can we just purchase BooleanRT as a stand-alone plugin? Pretty please?
    2. Can we do run-time boolean operations with BooleanRT from our own scripts?

I understand if you'd rather focus your efforts here on GameDraw, and it is an amazing plug-in, but some of us are willing to pay for the boolean algorithms alone. You are robbing yourself by removing it from the Asset Store, mate :)

I really need this thing for my project, so if you won't sell it, I'll spend the time to build it myself.
    And then I'll open source it :p

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  47. baha

baha

I guess you now know the answer ;) but for the folks not following BooleanRT forum
    1) it will come back
    2) MXD Bundle is going to be on sale in less than an hour! MXD Bundle contains (GameDraw,BooleanRT,LightmapManager2,MXD Edit, Several other packages on the way as well) grab it now and you will love it right away and you will love it even more later :D
    3) you can do runtime boolean operations from your own scripts with booleanRT

48. im

im

hi very nice thanks for the sale best regards. :)

49. John-G

John-G

Brilliant sale price, how could I refuse. Thank you.

50. mimminito

mimminito

Hi Baha,

Is there an easy way to use "snapping" when editing meshes in GameDraw? For example, say I want to be able to extrude a face by 1 meter high, is this possible? Apologies if this is already well documented, ive not found anything on it yet though. Would be a really handy feature for fast prototyping!

Adam